Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

As a Packers fan, I can’t remember a more thorough reboot of the franchise since Brett Favre joined the team. Here’s the latest defection:

Sources: Randall Cobb to join Jets, reunite with Aaron Rodgers

Cobb joins former Packers receiver Allen Lazard, quarterback Tim Boyle, and tackle Billy Turner on the Jets. Including Rodgers, that’s five former Packers on the Jets; and of course, that doesn’t count other former Packers from last year’s team who are now scattered throughout the NFL. The most veteran members on the current Packers wide receiver squad are players who were drafted just last year. It’s a little early to decide that GM Brian Gutekunst is trying to tank, but he’s certainly jumping on the “out with the old, in with the new” train.

Jordan Love is looking like the "old guy" in comparison!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Well, it sure looks like AR will be starting for the Colts, maybe even Week 1. They released Nick Foles after the first practice. Gardner Minshew could still work the first few weeks.

Now, as we've discussed, for his own personal development, he probably would have benefited from an extra year in college, or at least a first year in the NFL sitting and learning behind a vet. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

However, allow me to continue to pound the table for my guy, lmao. (And he did make the right decision for himself, look up his contract.)

I really enjoy the NFL Live crew. I find them to be one of the best panels around. Some good discussion here, including reinforcing the fact the Shane Steichen and Chris Ballard are good people to have around. They will likely build around his strengths to start and help him grow from there.

Dan Orlovsky isn't in that video, but he's often on the panel and has great input on him as well. Check out his Twitter, he has some good video breakdown of why Anthony could be successful with Steichen calling the offence.

I'm not familiar with the person doing this breakdown, but Ringer is a legitimate source and there is some good info and video here.

Ok, table pounding ceased. Unless anyone brings up Dan Mullen playing Emory Jones over Anthony based solely on seniority...

• Like 1

I've watched and read various stories about Richardson.  He scored a lot of points with Steichen and the Colts coaching staff by revealing his knowledge of Xs and Os when they conducted a whiteboarding session with him.  Xs and Os knowledge doesn't always translate to the field, as shown by all the former QBs who couldn't cut it as NFL starters but moved on to productive careers as coaches.  But AR must have shown that he's got enough going on between the ears to convince them he can pick up the offensive system that they want to run, within a reasonable timeframe.  He's unlikely to pull a Johnny Football, frittering away time partying instead of burying his nose in the playbook.

Taking on a volunteer firefighter job impressed me too.  After a notable loss, he told his Gator teammates he might drop out of football to become a pro firefighter, because he was frustrated by perceived lack of effort.

He's going to make a lot of mistakes early on because that's an unavoidable part of the learning process but he seems like the kind of guy who will embrace them as learning opportunities instead of becoming discouraged like a Zac Wilson.

• Like 2

Yes, effort and work ethic will not be an issue for him. If you know anything about him personally, it's not a surprise he aced the interviews at the combine as well as the athletics. You can pretty much guarantee he'll work as hard as anyone in the draft at his craft. He didn't grow up with the same resources as a lot of 1st rounders nowadays do. He went to his neighbourhood high school and grinded his way to a scholarship at his hometown university, all while helping his mother raise his younger brother. Now, simply by signing his rookie contract, he's already set his family up for life, but he's certainly not about to stop there.

Dang it, I thought I was done pounding the table but here I am continuing!

• Like 1

CBS's offseason grades for the 32 teams.  Does not look like particularly deep analysis, in that the grades seem to be based on the splashiness of the team's transactions rather than the fundamental question of "How much did the team improve itself, relative to the competition?"....  but it is what it is

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-offseason-grades-ranking-all-32-teams-for-their-draft-picks-free-agent-moves-trades-and-more/

• Like 1

Draft grades...it's amazing how the media manages to stretch the analysis of a sport even when it's out of season.😁

The upcoming season will be interesting but I doubt the 2023 draft will have a major impact on how well teams perform. 

Free Agency (FA) and trades will make a difference especially if QB Aaron Rodgers and his cast of characters can turn the New York Jets into a playoff team.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 5/9/2023 at 11:49 AM, ProfD said:

The upcoming season will be interesting but I doubt the 2023 draft will have a major impact on how well teams perform. 

Drafts inevitably have a major impact on numerous teams. This year should be no different, esp with three QBs taken high. At least one is bound to be a hit and reverse its teams fortunes over time. Which one(s), who knows... 

Titans released another schedule release vid that's not as funny as the other one but makes me want to visit Nashville and have a beer

I rooted for the Jacksonville Chester Cheeto and Titans for a bit.   

The Chester Cheeto had ex-Charger Natrone Means and dual-threat QB Mark Brunell.   They pulled off the huge upset over Elway and the Broncos and made the AFC Championship, losing to the Patriots who went on to be demolished by Brett Favre and the Packers.

The Titans had their own dual-threat QB Steve McNair and Eddie George, both carryovers from the Houston Oiler days.   They got so tantalizingly close to winning it all but the (real) Rams came out victorious in a closely contested Super Bowl.

Perhaps the greatest football player who ever lived has passed away. His life off the field—his activism and acting—also raised the bar in those areas, not just for former athletes but for us all.

Jim Brown, one of football's greatest ever, dies at 87

Jim Brown, RIP.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

One of greatest men on the gridiron and off the field. Always on his owm terms. Thanks for the contributions made to humanity. RIP Mr. Jim Brown.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I’m old enough to remember seeing Jim Brown Play! He was not only a great athlete, he was a great man. After he retired from the NFL for over 25 years he went to Prisons to counsel convicts and try to help them stay out of jail. He was an Activist his entire life, and always respected the American Flag and our National Anthem. Our Country has lost  a GREAT Man. RIP Jim.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Thought this was an interesting stat: at least one team has gone from worst to first in 18 of the last 20 seasons. Here's an article nfl.com did on it about the odds for each division this year: https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-season-ranking-all-eight-candidates-to-go-from-worst-to-first-in-divisi

I agree with their top two selections, but how is Denver not second to last at best?

16 hours ago, bill5 said:

Thought this was an interesting stat: at least one team has gone from worst to first in 18 of the last 20 seasons. Here's an article nfl.com did on it about the odds for each division this year: https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-season-ranking-all-eight-candidates-to-go-from-worst-to-first-in-divisi

I agree with their top two selections, but how is Denver not second to last at best?

People expect big things from Sean Payton, including designing an offense that works well for a quarterback of Russell Wilson’s height. While it’s hard to imagine the Chiefs not repeating as division leaders, I think it’s conceivable that the Broncos could land in second place. I’d say that the Chargers have a better shot at it than Denver does, but we’re talking about best case scenarios.

The article makes a good point about the NFL’s relative parity aiding the worst-to-first cause. It’s also an injury prone league, which can make an even bigger difference. Taking that into account, it’s hard to rule out any outcome.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

Looks like Garappolo had to sign a contract with a waiver related to his foot injury.

1.  Garappolo failed his physical.  

2.  Raiders reworked his contract as a result with a new waiver.

3.  Waiver absolves Raiders of any financial responsibility for further injury or disability relating to his pre-existing foot condition and allows him to be cut at any time.  If he is on the team 2 days after the season, the waiver is null and void.

I would imagine this is a common club practice, but it sure seems anti-player.   His $11+ million signing bonus was cancelled and added to his base salary, assuming he passes the physical and joins the team.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it's puzzling. I suppose it's more important to the Vikings to save $9 million in cap space than it is to keep Dalvin Cook.

Denver seems to interested too. Speaking of whom:

Broncos adding ex-Chiefs DE Frank Clark, sources say

Best,

Geoff