Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

My ears were burning 😇

He's been aceing the draft process, that's for sure. Record-setting combine, apparently interviewing extremely well, and now an effortless pro day show. Did you see the clip of him throwing a ball 25-30 yards while sitting on the ground? I kind of doubt he'll displace Stroud and Young (or Young and Stroud), but I'd say he's as close to a top-five lock as you can get. Just hopes whoever drafts him can give him some time to develop before they throw him to the wolves. Guy needs reps and good coaching to continue to progress.

• Like 2

Yeah, CBS's assessment is the ideal situation for him would be a team with a veteran QB so he can be developed for 2-3 years.  The reason is the raw number of in-game hours (experience) vs. Stroud and Young.

The Panthers don't seem to be ruling him out on that point though.  They do have veteran Andy Dalton if they want to take Richardson and develop him until he's ready to unseat Dalton, though I have no idea how effective Dalton would be as a mentor to Richardson.   Or maybe they'll trade for Rodgers and ask him to be the mentor? 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAJUSCULE said:

My ears were burning 😇

He's been aceing the draft process, that's for sure. Record-setting combine, apparently interviewing extremely well, and now an effortless pro day show. Did you see the clip of him throwing a ball 25-30 yards while sitting on the ground? 

I remember JP Losman doing tricks like that before his draft. Others probably have too. It means nothing; no call for that in the NFL...there is a lot of call however to be a smart decision-maker, read Ds well, and be accurate with the ball,  none of which he has shown he can do consistently. Sorry but IMO he is far from a top 5 lock, in fact far from a Day 1 lock and I will be quite surprised if he goes in the top 20.

Regardless, I am ready for the draft! I wish they had it in early Apr vs late. 

Well yes, throwing from your buttocks is never going to be an applicable in-game skill. That's just for fun, like doing backflips at the end of a good throwing session. Having fun isn't a bad thing.

He hasn't shown consistency, no, but he certainly has shown flashes and has very limited experience. You might not think he's worth a top-five or even first-round pick, and that's fine. It's up to the actual people paid to make these decisions, and even they still make mistakes.

The Ravens definitely needed a big play WR especially if OBJ still has anything left in the tank. Smart move.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Although this letter is addressed to NFL GMs, I think it's maybe more of a PR thing to pre-emptively get fans on his side when a team does call his name. I'm pretty sure front offices know his story and those most likely to draft him have had several meetings over the past few months. Nonetheless, cool to hear it in his own words, and I'm sure a few of you may be interested in learning more about him on a personal level.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/anthony-richardson-nfl-football-florida-gators

Don't worry, I'll likely slide back over to the CFB thread and outta here once he gets drafted lol.

Presuming the sale goes through, this will be the end of a long nightmare for Washington fans. Congrats to all!

Perhaps we should go back to calling them the Washington Football Team again until we see whether the new owners will keep the Commanders name...

Best,

Geoff

• Like 3

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Colts' HC effectively said "no, we aren't interested in Jackson" the other day. Another example of how the press says something has a good chance of happening even when it doesn't just for the click bait. It would have made zero sense for the Colts despite the QB need. Those first four picks should be really interesting...

On 4/14/2023 at 9:50 AM, GovernorSilver said:

...can Skip Bayless rush for at least 1 yard in the NFL

While folks question player salaries, the athletes are getting paid to do something when called upon to perform.

Meanwhile, mediocre athletes and non-athletic folks like Skip Bayless get paid to do absolutely nothing other than run his mouth and criticize those who can actually play.😎

• Like 3

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

While folks question player salaries, the athlets are getting paid to do something when called upon to perform.

Meanwhile, mediocre athletes and non-athletic folks like Skip Bayless get paid to do absolutely nothing other than run his mouth and criticize those who can actually play.😎

I'm a lot biased here(hope this isn't political)coming from a labor background, I'm going to side with the players. If the players don't get the money the richer owners do, and I don't know of anyone who has ever go to a game to watch the owners.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

26 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

I'm a lot biased here(hope this isn't political)coming from a labor background, I'm going to side with the players. If the players don't get the money the richer owners do, and I don't know of anyone who has ever go to a game to watch the owners.

Agreed.

I don't think it crossed the political line.

The players should definitely get paid well for being the entertainment. It's only a fraction of the revenue. The owners can afford it. 

My home team just sold for $6 billion. Not a bad pay day for an owner who ran the organization into the ground. Nobody will be crying for him.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

12 hours ago, ProfD said:

ScreenShot2023-04-15at6_58_14PM.thumb.png.f36911d29ff875bf3ae005384022540c.png

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

The players should definitely get paid well for being the entertainment.

And they are...

Everyone in pro sports makes far too much money IMO and have for a very long time. The owners, the players, the coaches. It's insane.

10 hours ago, bill5 said:

And they are...

Everyone in pro sports makes far too much money IMO and have for a very long time. The owners, the players, the coaches. It's insane.

Yet, there's nothing to stop us from watching sports and/or buying tickets, merchandise, concessions, cable TV subscriptions, sports packages, etc..

The only way there can be too much money in pro sports is if people are consuming it.😎

• Like 1

PD

As long as advertisers are convinced people are watching NFL games, the money will keep pouring in to support the business of NFL football.

So everyone here contributes to the coffers of NFL owners and their employees, players, etc. by continuing to watch and talk about NFL games.  I'm not sure how they measure viewership for broadcast TV but if you're watching the official NFL replay vids on Youtube, paying for live streaming games, etc. they will definitely be counting your views.

Speaking of NFL money, Jalen Hurts just agreed to the biggest contract in NFL history (in terms of average annual value):

Source: Eagles, QB Jalen Hurts agree to $255M deal

Deshaun Watson's $230 million contract with the Browns is still the biggest in terms of guaranteed money.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

On 4/15/2023 at 2:20 PM, surfergirl said:

Outside of motor or fight sports, I can’t think of a group of athletes who risk more permanent physical harm simply by playing their game than North American football players.  That risk should be reflected in their compensation.  An NFL owner would probably say it already is—that’s why they offer so few guaranteed long-term contracts compared to other pro sports leagues.  A principled players union leader would say that’s not the point.

• Like 1

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Chargers brought back WR Jalen Guyton.   He's not a star and never will be one, but bringing him back helps with the depth problem.  Herbert missed having a burner who could beat defenders deep and that guy was Guyton.

Some mock drafts have the Chargers taking that slow TE from Notre Dame in the first round.  Hopefully they'll get a talented WR with future starter potential instead.