Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

11 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Not sure I understand the thinking behind trading Waller to NYG…for a third round draft pick???  :idk::wacko:

HC Josh McDaniels is trying to build a west coast version of the Patriots.😁

Trading away the best players while still in their prime is a Belicheck move.🤣

The Pats just signed TE Mike Gesicki. Let's see if they keep TE Hunter Henry or trade him to Sin City.😁😎

• Like 1
  • Annoyed 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

DID have Adams and Waller… 🙄

Not sure I understand the thinking behind trading Waller to NYG…for a third round draft pick???  :idk::wacko:

dB

My guess is a contractual/money move, plus he hasn't been able to stay healthy lately. Risk/reward move by the Giants and a "let's get something while we can" move by the Raiders.

Jets continue wheeling and dealing WRs, draft picks, apparently to make room for Aaron Rodgers salary

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35918969/source-jets-reach-1-year-deal-wr-mecole-hardman

Charger fans debating whether letting the younger, cheaper LB Tranquil walk to the Chiefs in favor of a 31-yr old ex-Viking LB Kendricks was the right move.  

Chargers are still over the salary cap.  They restructured the contracts of the two starting EGDE and 2 starting WR to get closer to the cap but it's not enough.  I think the odds of SDSU defeating Bama to make the Elite Eight is higher than a free agent WR coming to the Chargers - that's how low I think the odds are.

The Jets got a WR that is not memorable to me, even though he played for the Chiefs.   Tyreek Hill he is not.  Heck I remember Chiefs WRs named Pringle and Juju-Smith-Something.   I don't remember this Mercola guy at all.   To get him they traded away a 22 year old WR.  Looks to me they did it to stock up on draft picks.   

Tom Telesco has made some dumb decisions before.   I would not put it past him to trade a couple of picks for a no-name veteran WR, just to show that he did something for the WRs.  That would qualify as dumb.  But I don't see it really happening in 2023.

The upcoming draft seems to be the most realistic route to improve the WR corps for the Chargers.

Yeah but they made a few other signings with money that could have gone to something in the WR market. Not saying anything pricey. 

Hardeman isn't memorable for sure, but could (or for them could have been) a worthwhile supporting/depth player.

The only questionable Charger free agent signing is Kendrick.  They could have brought the younger Tranquil back to play LB for less money.  Instead, he will bring his skills to the Chiefs, also for a bargain deal.   Just like another ex-Charger LB went to a Superbowl team (2022 Eagles) for a cheap deal.

I don't see a strong case against any of their other offseason signings to date.   If you want to convince me they should have signed a WR instead of bringing back their productive rookie kicker and starting right tackle, I expect you to present a strong case.

The offseason is not over yet.... Still plenty of time to see your favorite team - talking to everyone on this thread here, not just bill5 - make a move that will excite you, relieve you, or drive you to panic.

When healthy, WR Mecole Hardman is good special teams player returning kicks because of his speed. 

WR Elijah Moore wanted out of NY.  Made sense for the Jets to get draft picks for a disgruntled player. 

Besides, if QB Aaron Rodgers (AR) is coming to town with his cherry-picked WR corps, that would've possibly led to more friction with WR Moore.  AR didn't really bond with the young Packers WRs last year.

14 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Tom Telesco has made some dumb decisions before.   I would not put it past him to trade a couple of picks for a no-name veteran WR, just to show that he did something for the WRs. 

The Chargers could very well end up with serviceable WRs who do just enough to cement the growing legion of QB Justin Herbert. 

it will be similar to the Bills not giving QB Josh Allen a solid running game in 2022. 

Also last year,  year, QB Justin Fields had to run, pass and catch in Chicago. 

In 2021, QB Joe Burrow had to play without an offensive line. 

Maybe there is some trial by fire young QBs have to go through. 

The reality is that in today's NFL, teams will not win if they have to rely solely on the QB carrying them on his back or arm.

Free agency might be coming to an end but I think teams will continue moving players around until the season starts. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

67 free agent WRs listed as available says teams are not done yet shopping for WRs.

Chargers have only 3 WRs under contract.  They will at the very least look into bringing back their own free agent Deandre Carter for depth and return duties.   They dug themselves out of their salary cap hole and are now about $7 million under.   New contract for Carter should fit into that cap space.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The Chargers could very well end up with serviceable WRs who do just enough to cement the growing legion of QB Justin Herbert. 

😎

They'll have their two starters back plus Joshua Palmer.    

I am confident the statement "Chargers do nothing about WRs" will be proven false soon enough.   Maybe nothing exciting, but nothing period is unlikely.

I was among the critics of the Chargers' decision to maintain a 5-man WR corps on the active roster for 2022, with most other teams having 6.  I could see them returning Carter to get to 4 WRs then drafting 2 if they want to go 6-man.  If they go with 5 again, they better bolster the TE corps.

I'm just very surprised they didn't do something in free agency in what's probably their biggest need area, or if not very close to it. I hope for their sake a top WR falls in the first round and they nab him, though I as recall it's a so-so draft for WRs.

They were close to $20 million over the cap, so the biggest need was to address that, because if you don't have salary cap space you can't bring in anybody, period.

Cap space was also needed to keep the kicker, punter, starting right tackle, etc.    Need more WR yes, but you don't want to pull a Matt Millen either.  He focused so much on WR, he left the other positions on the team to rot.   

Chargers unfortunately are thin at multiple positions - OL, DL, WR, DB...

On 3/24/2023 at 9:11 PM, bill5 said:

Re. Jackson, to me it's harder to decide who's the bigger idiot between him and Rodgers. 

Unless I missed it, I don't QB Lamar Jackson having done anything to make him an idiot.

I just read today that QB Jackson asked the Ravens to trade him. 

Not an unreasonable demand since the Ravens organization doesn't seem willing to pay QB Jackson what he wants.😎

• Like 1

PD

Yeah, I have a hard time thinking of either Lamar Jackson or Aaron Rodgers as idiots.

Jackson has decided to represent himself, as countless football players used to do. He may be bucking a trend, but it's his prerogative.

And while some of Rodgers's personal decisions have been called into question, he clearly has very good football IQ.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

9 hours ago, ProfD said:

Unless I missed it, I don't QB Lamar Jackson having done anything to make him an idiot.

Are you kidding? Where to begin:

• Last year he could have had a big fat contract, but decided no, he's going to play out this one so he can get even more money the next year (the kindest thing you can say about the consensus reaction was that it was a dicey and risky decision, but stupid is probably describes it more accurately)
  • This year he also could have had a big fat contract, but decided he wanted far more than was reasonable (more than Deshaun Watson, who got an insane deal and is a better QB) and so balked because he thinks he - a QB who has had a few good/not amazing seasons, has mostly sucked in the playoffs, has therefore never even sniffed a SB, and who has been injury prone of late) calls all the shots 
  • He didn't hire an agent. Yes, that is incredibly stupid not to mention arrogant that he thinks he knows enough about contract negotiations to do it himself - if you check the history of players who have done that, you'll see it rarely ends well for them, which should be no surprise
  • Or maybe it's his dazzling tweets:
    "No weapon formed against me shall prosper 🙏🏾😇 
    #Imtheweapon #Jesus #1 #Truzz" 

:classic_rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Jackson has decided to represent himself, as countless football players used to do. He may be bucking a trend, but it's his prerogative.

And while some of Rodgers's personal decisions have been called into question, he clearly has very good football IQ.

Actually few players represent themselves, and again for good reason: because they don't know jack about it and so will not come out of it well. 

As for Rodgers, not sure what you mean by "football IQ"-? Like Jackson, Rodgers is an egomaniac for starters, which I don't consider intelligent. And like Jackson, he thinks he calls all the shots...and like Jackson, he is finding out the hard way that isn't true. He acts like he's still in his prime when in fact he's nowhere near it. Neither the Ravens nor Jets are rushing to sign these guys no matter what. Also take note that other teams are not exactly lining up to make any offers for them either....

I've watched the evolution of sports agents in the NFL over the years, and I remember that they were almost unheard of in the sixties and gradually evolved over the decades into the norm they are now. From my armchair perspective, I wouldn't make the same choices as Lamar Jackson; but I wouldn't call him an idiot for choosing differently. Then again, there are no NFL quarterbacks who I would describe that harshly. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can make the cut in a league of elite athletes. These players aren't just gifted physically, they have to be able to recognize the strategy of the opposing team and react accordingly.

As for Aaron Rodgers's football IQ, I'm talking about his ability to read defenses and avoid interceptions. His rare ability to catch opposing teams while they have 12 men on the field is well-known. These are not the traits of an idiot. These accomplishments are indisputable. 

Rodgers is the NFL career leader for passing touchdown/interception ratio. Sure, part of that is because of his arm; but his mind plays a role as well. Rodgers learned well from watching Brett Favre, who threw an NFL record 336 interceptions, and did exactly the opposite when it came to handing over the ball to the opposing team. Again, I credit Rodgers's mind, because Favre had an equally good arm. (After all, Favre once held the career record for most touchdown passes, with 508.)

I won't argue with criticism about Rodgers's personality. We each have a right to our opinions; and I don't know him personally, so I can't contest what he's really like when the cameras are off. Nonetheless, I think that even Rodgers's haters would admit he has a perceptive mind for football. That's why I'm giving you pushback for using the term "idiot."

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

11 hours ago, bill5 said:
  • He didn't hire an agent. Yes, that is incredibly stupid not to mention arrogant that he thinks he knows enough about contract negotiations to do it himself - if you check the history of players who have done that, you'll see it rarely ends well for them, which should be no surprise

it is presumptuous to think QB Lamar Jackson doesn't have a team of folks providing counsel to him during these contract negotiations. 

A sports agent is a made-up job where some person takes 15-20% of the negotiated contract to do little or nothing that a star athlete could not do for themselves by other means.

An in-demand star athlete could hire a law firm to do the same thing for a lot less money. 

QB Jackson is actually *smarter* representing himself instead of paying an astronomical fee to someone else.😎

• Like 1

PD

8 minutes ago, ProfD said:

it is presumptuous to think QB Lamar Jackson doesn't have a team of folks providing counsel to him during these contract negotiations. 

A sports agent is a made-up job where some person takes 15-20% of the negotiated contract to do little or nothing that a star athlete could not do for themselves by other means.

An in-demand star athlete could hire a law firm to do the same thing for a lot less money. 

QB Jackson is actually *smarter* representing himself instead of paying an astronomical fee to someone else.😎

None of that is correct, but you're entitled to your opinion. Anyway- 

This is the most sensible mock draft I've seen so far vs all the ones that have teams reaching for QBs they shouldn't be reaching for: 

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2023-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-colts-pass-on-quarterback-will-levis-falls-

Just now, GovernorSilver said:

2 $6 billion bids already for the Commanders:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35980868/source-harris-rales-group-submits-6b-bid-commanders

I'll check my couch to see if I have enough pennies lying around to also make a bid

Gov, let me know what you scrounge up and I'll provide the difference.  Let's get that bid together. 🤣😎

PD

Raiders sign now ex-Charger Deandre Carter.

I'm kind of surprised they let Carter walk because they don't have anyone else who is a proven returner.  By Chiefs standards his speed was merely average, but on the Chargers, he was the 2nd fastest WR after Guyton.  Moreover,  his cost to the salary cap was low.

I guess they're counting on drafting a WR with returner experience