Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

Chiefs extended Spags, which is probably the least surprising news.  Never known for 100% shutdown defense but he's coached Ds that have helped win multiple Superbowls.  Even in the previous Superbowl, the Chiefs gave up 34 points but the defense got the big stops when needed in the 2nd half.

35 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Chiefs extended Spags, which is probably the least surprising news.  Never known for 100% shutdown defense but he's coached Ds that have helped win multiple Superbowls.  Even in the previous Superbowl, the Chiefs gave up 34 points but the defense got the big stops when needed in the 2nd half.

Right. I've never been impressed with Spag's defensive schemes especially when it's that bend but don't break style of play that gives up too many points.

Yet, Spags has benefitted from having great players (New York Giants) or being hitched to a solid wagon (Chiefs) resulting in his Super Bowl rings.

Smartly, Spags knows that DC is his wheelhouse after his HC stint with the Los Angeles Rams. 

Maybe Spags' name will be in the Chiefs succession plan hat whenever HC Andy Reid decides to surrender the keys.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

43 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Right. I've never been impressed with Spag's defensive schemes especially when it's that bend but don't break style of play that gives up too many points.

Yet, Spags has benefitted from having great players (New York Giants) or being hitched to a solid wagon (Chiefs) resulting in his Super Bowl rings.

Smartly, Spags knows that DC is his wheelhouse after his HC stint with the Los Angeles Rams. 

Maybe Spags' name will be in the Chiefs succession plan hat whenever HC Andy Reid decides to surrender the keys.😎

I think of him as the blitz happy guy.  Offenses make plays by sending the runner/receiver to whatever spots are vacated blitzing players.  At least he's consistent though - none of this half zone, half man nonsense like Staley's system.

Admittedly he got lucky in last year's Super Bowl when Jalen Hurts committed some inexplicable miscues which gifted a TD and a couple of forced punt opportunities to his D.

I could see Bienemy coming back to KC and competing with Spags for positioning in the Andy Reid line of succession.

Fans base their calls to fire a coach on one game (recency bias).   Head coaches usually don't.   

Looks like there was a repeated pattern of Wilks not being on the same page as Shanahan.  This suggests the decision was based on reviewing the season as a whole.  Calling a timeout during Superbowl OT because he didn't like Wilk's called play was just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-kyle-shanahan-decides-fire-defensive-18667717.php

22 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I suspected this based on the defense induced loses and Wilks atrocious care-free attitude .    Some are saying that a Super Bowl win would have saved his job.     I'm doubtful.    The SB outcome was a knife edge random outcome.   Wilks had to go either way. 

Reminds me of Rex Ryan's brother Rob Ryan (remember him, kids?). Brought the house nonstop and got burned nonstop. 

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

After watching the Super Bowl highlights sever times, it is obvious that Ray Ray (McLoud) Botched a kick. tried to pick the ball up and run with it. and fumbled. That lead to an easy TD by Patrick Mahomes that put KC up for the first time in the game. 🤔

It could also be said that the Niners just didn't score enough points to win the game.

Ray Ray was on the steelers recently but they decided not to keep him and he ended up in the SB.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.