Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

I watched the highlights of the SB that CBS Posted on you tube, San Fran out played KC in the first half and were good enough to win the game with their play in the second half. As Profd Posted, the blocked FG attempt by KC kept San Fran from winning the game in regulation. Turned out to be a nail biter in OT.

Colin Cowherd had a great break down of the game and some analysis of the NFL in his show on you tube I watched this morning. He had a great guest on that was a SF Fan that was very good information, it worth watching.

Great SB,

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

As an old school sports fan, I truly hated seeing this. Differing accounts about what the context was, but it's a bad, bad look.

72565760007-gty-2003840049 (1).webp

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

8 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Poor Taylor!!

I wouldn't be too worried about Taylor, She's rich, she can have any man she wants.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

5 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

He seems to be a pretty high strung dude. I doubt if their relationship will survive the offseason. 

You could be right. What happens when he retires?

Football players who carry their game rage off the field often run into trouble in their private lives. Some people can compartmentalize their roles; others can’t.

In other words, Kelce’s behavior yesterday doesn’t necessarily tell us what he’s like outside of game day.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

22 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

In other words, Kelce’s behavior yesterday doesn’t necessarily tell us what he’s like outside of game day.

4 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

"Raging beast on the field, gentle giant off the field" is a description that has been applied to many a great NFL player.

Right.  I think Travis Kelce's passion for the game shows up on the field, sidelines and locker room.  I do not see him as a young man with anger issues off the field.

In fact, I believe both Kelce brothers enjoy playing the game of life with house money at this point.  Both are extremely successful getting paid to play a game.  Making momma proud of her sons.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I wonder how long the relationship Kelsey Has with you know who will last once he retires?

confession time:  I missed the first half and half the 2nd half because a good buddy of mine wanted to see Stickmen play and I didn't consider the date of the Stickmen gig at all.

So I missed the halftime show too, as finding Beato's vid reminded me.   It's a monologue-only video btw

• Like 2

I've been reading that the half-time show was the Worst Ever. I only watch the highlights (no paid TV) so I don't know.

3 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

I've been reading that the half-time show was the Worst Ever. I only watch the highlights (no paid TV) so I don't know.

I thought it was a highly entertaining show. Very complex and well-produced with so many dancers, roller skating, set changes, guest artists, etc. I always find myself wanting a little more or different from these shows, yet this one was very good.

The Rick Beato video does a great job of analyzing Super Bowl halftime entertainment

It is a 13-minute production designed to entertain folks in the stadium and millions of eyeballs around the world. 

The Super Bowl halftime show is definitely not the time to tune in for real artistry or musicianship. 

There are fewer Pop music acts with a deep catalog of hit records. That will cause a shift in Super Bowl halftime shows.

In a few years, future Super Bowl halftime shows might be a big screen with AI-generated sh8t on it.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

The Rick Beato video does a great job of analyzing Super Bowl halftime entertainment

It is a 13-minute production designed to entertain folks in the stadium and millions of eyeballs around the world. 

The Super Bowl halftime show is definitely not the time to tune in for real artistry or musicianship. 

There are fewer Pop music acts with a deep catalog of hit records. That will cause a shift in Super Bowl halftime shows.

In a few years, future Super Bowl halftime shows might be a big screen with AI-generated sh8t on it.😁😎

Good thoughts. Rick's comments about the lack of artists that can truly serve a SB halftime were interesting. I'm surprised he forgot about U2. I think they are one of a few true rock bands that could command a worldwide stage. In fact, there was some brief U2 footage from their residency at The Sphere. I'm surprised they didn't consider them for the SB show, though they have done it in the past.

The days of real rock shows seems less common. I remember loving Tom Petty, Prince, and Bruce Springsteen...and The Who just played it a few years ago...usually we host big SB parties and the game plus halftime are hard to see based on the loud people in the room LOL.

This year, my wife had the brilliant idea that we should DVR the whole thing. Last night, we watched JUST the commercials up through halftime and then the halftime show. We'll watch the second half commercials in a separate sitting. It was very enjoyable to watch this in a quieter setting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

I'm not a huge Usher fan, but it was a decent show, and the guy is very talented.

Just for fun, Rolling Stone ranked the Super Bowl performances from worst to first, if you are interested in checking out the list. 

• Like 2

I didn't think it was as good as Rihanna last year, and definitely not as good as Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg - but it's who Usher is (more of a laid back R&B guy). For something as bombastic as a Super Bowl halftime show, he needed reinforcements  - which he mostly got with Alicia Keys, H.E.R., and especially Lil Jon prepping the crowd with Turn Down For What. 

Biggest surprise for me was Ludacris in a huge 'fro wig. Wow that's going back in time. That will certainly come off in the next Fast and Furious movie. Here's more what he looks like today - receiving his star in the Walk of Fame. 

Edit: Maybe that is his hair all 'fro-ed out! 🧐

download.jpg.41bca6ad9098f6c0b5a0311f16877315.jpg

2 hours ago, eric said:

Good thoughts. Rick's comments about the lack of artists that can truly serve a SB halftime were interesting. I'm surprised he forgot about U2.

He may not have mentioned U2 by name but he did hypothesize that what all Superbowl-worthy acts have in common are decades of experience in the music business.  U2 would certainly qualify as a decades-old entertainment act.  He probably did not name them because he didn't want to take the time to list every single qualifying act.

As he said in the video, the act must not only have decades of market presence but also have worldwide name recognition, which goes hand in hand with the decades' experience.  So the brilliant but obscure "critics' favorite" type rock songwriter who has been toiling in the shadows for decades has no chance of landing a Superbowl gig.

Rick hasn't mentioned that the league is about 65% black.  That matters also.  My daughter's boyfriend plays football and was just trying to get onto the Commanders practice squad and is from ATL.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Isn't it time to start a 2024-2025 NFL thread?  Time to move on and start talking free agency!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I think the Halftime Musical Acts are now required to make a spectacle of themselves to get the gig. 

Yup.  Dua Lipa’s mobile cage dance opener at the Grammys could have been an audition for next year’s Super Bowl booking.  Lots of muscular dancing, skimpy costumes, clever prop use, pesky backing musicians kept well out of sight.  As with Usher’s nutrient-free half-time roller-dance spectacle this year, there was way more food for the eyes than the ears, a triumph of choreography over music chops.  Who would have thought the cheesy performance model patented by the June Taylor dancers on the Jackie Gleason show (and refined by Mel Brooks in “Springtime for Hitler” from The Producers) would find new life in the foreground of big pop music shows today?  Talk about acid flashbacks….

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

9 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

I usually wait a week or so, just to give the Super Bowl talk a chance to finish. 

Yep. The NFL threads follow brotha Geoff's lead. Thanks mayne. 😎

• Like 2

PD

Niners fire DC Steve Wilks.  Wonder if it was the Lions playoff game that got Shanahan thinking about firing him.  Or was this a frustration firing after losing the Superbowl in OT?  Shanahan doesn't strike me as a the type to fire somebody in the heat of the moment.  Maybe he wanted the D to stay in the style that DeMeco Ryans ran but Wilks got too far away from it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39525673/49ers-fire-d-coordinator-steve-wilks-one-season

Travis Kelce does a mea culpa after being called out by big bro, although I think he already made a public statement of apology at some point in time between the Superbowl and their podcast.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39524733/chiefs-travis-kelce-bumping-yelling-andy-reid-unacceptable

10 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Niners fire DC Steve Wilks.  Wonder if it was the Lions playoff game that got Shanahan thinking about firing him.

Yep.  It was in motion before the Super Bowl.  It will be interesting to see how the 49ers replace him and where he lands.😎

PD