Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

13 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

It was interesting to listen to Gronk and Edelman reminisce about how intimidating Hoodie was, and they never knew what mood he’d be in or if they dared to even speak in meetings.    They were all frightened of him.  I’m sure even Hernandez was afraid of him, and he was a psychopathic serial murderer! 

I don’t think that type of intimidation flies these days.    Even Andy, as old school as he is, is a players coach and they love him.   It’s a little bit like how Phil Jackson had to be purged out of the NBA because he couldn’t. deal with the new breed of player.  

I seriously doubt any owner wants to deal with an old codger who will be nothing but headaches day in and day out.  Yes he has the resume, but it has expired, and he probably isn’t the best interview in convincing an owner that he is their future.  

I’m glad that God clipped his wings when he did, and getting to Shula’s record is not gonna happen.  

His time has passed.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

4 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

Hoodie did well as a Head Coach but not so good as a GM, No NFL team has decided to hire him, He is getting up there in age now too.

Yep.  While I can understand the temptation/desire to give a winner more responsibilities.  However, it often better to keep them in their own  swim lanes.  Nothing about Hoodie suggests that he's front office material.

35 minutes ago, Polkahero said:

His time has passed.

Hoodie's bust in Canton is already secure but the NFL ight give him another opportunity to break Don Shula's record.  He could win enough games over a 3-4 year period with an average team.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Ravens activated Marc Andrews off of IR, restoring Lamar's favorite pass catcher.    Isaiah Likely performed well in place of Andrews.  

No doubt the Ravens will dial up some double TE packages for Andrews and Likely, like OC Monken did with double TE sets in Georgia.  No reason to hold back in the AFC Championship game.

14 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I don’t think that type of intimidation flies these days.    Even Andy, as old school as he is, is a players coach and they love him.   It’s a little bit like how Phil Jackson had to be purged out of the NBA because he couldn’t. deal with the new breed of player

Same deal with Stanley Cup and Olympic gold medal winning coach Mike Babcock.  Bullying and humiliating players was his trademark.  Columbus took him off the scrap heap for a test drive last fall, then quickly threw him back after he ordered players to show him the photos on their phones.

My money’s on Jurgen Klopp getting an NFL head coaching job before the Hoodie.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

10 minutes ago, Polychrest said:
15 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I don’t think that type of intimidation flies these days.    Even Andy, as old school as he is, is a players coach and they love him.   It’s a little bit like how Phil Jackson had to be purged out of the NBA because he couldn’t. deal with the new breed of player

Same deal with Stanley Cup and Olympic gold medal winning coach Mike Babcock.  Bullying and humiliating players was his trademark.  Columbus took him off the scrap heap for a test drive last fall, then quickly threw him back after he ordered players to show him the photos on their phones.

My money’s on Jurgen Klopp getting an NFL head coaching job before the Hoodie.

I don’t like it, but the reality is that the top players are treating themselves as their own brand, with their own podcasts popping up and their whole entourage like a small company.     I was a little surprised that Russell Wilson failed in his power play but he doesn’t have that personality and his poor play sort of spoke for itself.   Hopefully Sean Payton is the next rabid coach to get banished.  

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Yes, professional sports has changed now that the power equation has shifted with the times. Free agency and NIL, I think, have changed not only football but basketball and, I'd guess, a number of other sports as players can now take control of their own career and long-term earnings. Was Lebron the most high profile of recent memory to significantly leverage control of their brand? Jordan and Tiger had been driving that bus as well.

But the whole idea of the player's coach vs. the not-so-benevolent dictator? Ok, boomer.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, timwat said:

But the whole idea of the player's coach vs. the not-so-benevolent dictator? Ok, boomer.

I like the happy medium.  Like the Jim Harbaughs and the Steve Kerrs.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I'm sure you know far more about this than I do, but Kerr has always struck me as a "player's coach" much more than the other. 

I'm ignorant about Harbaugh's overall style, despite him being our Niners dude during the Kaepernick era.

I'll let y'all know how it goes with Harbaugh.   From what I understand he left SF after clashing with the GM at the time.  Presumably he will be consulted on the Chargers' next GM hire to try to avoid that kind of conflict.  One candidate currently works with his brother John in the Ravens organization.   There's another candidate who reportedly has a positive history with Jim as well.

The Chargers don't have the greatest ownership but they do work hard on their social media.  Tons of videos of various lengths showing Harbaugh at work are sure to be uploaded to YT, Insta, etc.

22 minutes ago, timwat said:

I'm sure you know far more about this than I do, but Kerr has always struck me as a "player's coach" much more than the other.

I doubt I know any more than you.  I will agree Kerr leans in that direction but his emphasis on role playing and sacrifice has gotten most players to buy in but others are a little more hard headed.  

As for Harbaugh, he’s a mix.   He still thinks he is a QB on the depth chart but yet he won’t take one iota of shit from anyone.  Player or management.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

The expression “Ok, boomer” is a symptom of a mindset that says it’s okay to lump people into a group and dismiss them. I don’t think it belongs in this forum, which has a tradition of civility. I hope you’ll reconsider your post.

Thank you,

Geoff

• Like 3

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

5 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

The expression “Ok, boomer” is a symptom of a mindset that says it’s okay to lump people into a group and dismiss them. I don’t think it belongs in this forum, which has a tradition of civility. I hope you’ll reconsider your post.

Thank you,

Geoff

Well, Geoff...I stand corrected.

As a generational boomer, who happens to hear this comment on a semi-regular comment - lovingly in jest, typically - directed at me from my students, my intent was simply to provide an analog with the topic at hand (changing generational attitudes in professional athletes, and therefore commensurate challenges in coaching and managing them effectively).

I might suggest that my history here on the forum has typically not demonstrated "a mindset that says it's okay to lump people into a group and dismiss them", and additionally the summary attribution of the expression to one specific mindset is a bit heavy-handed. But you know what, in the grand scheme that's not really a conversation I'm going to invest in.

Yes, I'll not post it again.

C ya.

• Like 4

Wow, looking forward to the games tomorrow!  

The landscape is SO polarized among the various prognosticators!

My predictions:

-  SF Defense shines.   Purdy is Purdy and avoids INT.    SF + 14

-  Mahomes is the best QB of all time and wins in the last 2:00.    KC + 4

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I believe that if KC is healthy, they will out scored Baltimore. I see a low scoring game in the NFC

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Ravens abandoned the running game for some inexplicable reason. Chiefs run defense is known to be porous.

The Ravens came up short today. They've got all of the right pieces in place. Maybe  next year.

Congrats to the Chiefs in winning another AFC championship and going back to the Super Bowl.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

31 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Ravens abandoned the running game for some inexplicable reason. Chiefs run defense is known to be porous.

I don't think it came down to anywhere near this.    Ravens were completely discombobulated from the 2nd quarter onward.    They blew easy plays, passes, and the relentless KC pass rush made Lamar look really really bad.     As a result of all this the Ravens lost their cool and got penalized for clear retaliation and taunting.  Rookie Flowers blew their chances with the goal line fumble and his subsequent temper tantrum, injuring himself by punching the bench. 

If I had to summarize, the Ravens left their IQ in the locker room.   They couldn't believe what was happening to them and it snowballed. 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

9 minutes ago, Polkahero said:

Lions looking good so far!

Yes, they predicted this based on Goff the superior QB.   I knew SF should never have rested their team for the Bye.

Niners are going to need to revamp their defense and find a real QB next year.   Also expect Shanahan to be fired.  

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 minute ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Yes, they predicted this based on Goff the superior QB.   I knew SF should never have rested their team for the Bye.

Niners are going to need to revamp their defense and find a real QB next year.   Also expect Shanahan to be fired.  

Game isn't nearly over yet, lol.

• Like 2

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

1 minute ago, Polkahero said:
3 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Game isn't nearly over yet, lol.

I think it is.   Look at their other losses. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Ravens were completely discombobulated...They blew easy plays, passes, and the relentless KC pass rush made Lamar look really really bad.

The Ravens should have left that pass-heavy game plan at practice.🤣

A balanced offensive attack was how the Ravens  dominated throughout the season. 

Maybe the 49ers run defense will show up in the 2nd half. Otherwise, it will take a miracle for them to pull out a win.

The Lions offense is playing exactly the way they did all season long....run the ball and take shots in the passing game to keep the defense in check.

Both games have been good so far. Neither game is going the way I envisioned.😁😎

PD

16 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Looked like Detroit might have run away with the NFC game, but SF is right back in it now.

Tale of two halves or in this case...one quarter.😁

49ers defense stiffened up and offense stayed the course.  No panic. 

Let's see if the Lions can slow down momentum and keep fighting.

NFC championship shaping up to be a great game.😎

• Like 1

PD

2 hours ago, ProfD said:
3 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Ravens were completely discombobulated...They blew easy plays, passes, and the relentless KC pass rush made Lamar look really really bad.

The Ravens should have left that pass-heavy game plan at practice.🤣

I think BAL strategy was that Lamar was their running game as he was their number one rusher.

Unfortunately, Lamar couldn't run on this KC defense that left him continuously in pocket collapse.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Two weeks, two great comebacks by the 49ers. Congrats to our San Francisco fans.

My sympathies to Polkahero and the rest of our Detroit fans. That was a tough loss, especially after beginning with such a commanding lead.

Even so, the Lions had more playoff wins than at any other time since 1957; and they look like they'll be contenders for years to come.

I rooted for the Packers last week and the Lions this week; but I'll be rooting for the Niners in the Super Bowl because they haven't won a Super Bowl in 30 years, while the Chiefs have won twice in recent years. (Also, I'd be happy to see a Lombardi go to a quarterback who grew up in Arizona.)

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon