Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

4 hours ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Niners are going to need to revamp their defense and find a real QB next year.   Also expect Shanahan to be fired.  

Spoken a little too soon, eh? Amazing game. Down 24-7 at the half, 49ers played a great come-from-way-behind 2nd half to win 34-31. I think the QB and Shanahan are safe for next year, regardless of the Super Bowl outcome. You don't get your team to the Super Bowl if you're chopped liver.

• Like 2
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

hopefully KC uses a similar "play"book, full of timely drops, fumble and carom. 

also congrats to #99 Javon Kinlaw, on the 49ers' DL. (also a Gamecock, Deebo's teammate at SC)

Only 16 rushing attempts by the Ravens.  Only 3 carries by Gus Edwards, their workhorse RB and best power back.  Classy of Harbaugh to not throw Monken under the bus publicly but this has to be on OC Todd Monken for not attacking the Chiefs' weakness.

https://heavy.com/sports/baltimore-ravens/john-harbaugh-todd-monken-chiefs-afc-championship/

I could see from watching on TV that Lamar wasn't handing off to the RBs enough.  Just didn't realize Edwards' and Hill's carries were that low.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Only 16 rushing attempts by the Ravens.  Only 3 carries by Gus Edwards, their workhorse RB and best power back.  Classy of Harbaugh to not throw Monken under the bus publicly but this has to be on OC Todd Monken for not attacking the Chiefs' weakness.

I could see from watching on TV that Lamar wasn't handing off to the RBs enough.  Just didn't realize Edwards' and Hill's carries were that low.

Agreed.

As I mentioned a few posts ago, it makes no sense the Ravens abandoned their running game. 

That loss was the result of a terrible game-plan that did not attack the Chiefs defensive weakness. 

49ers HC Kyle Shanahan will not make the same mistake.  RBs Christian McCaffrey and Elijah Mitchell and WR Deebo Samuel will run heavy.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Well I am rooting for the 49s but really wanted to see Detroit there. Reminded me of the Bills game last weekend.

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Some franchises just seem cursed no matter how good their team is.  Ask me how I know (Vikes fan).   

I thought both games the teams were very evenly matched.  One team simply made more plays.  Lamar was off on so many easy passes and seemed hesitant to take off.  Ravens kept calling long passes and overthrowing them.  The Chiefs defender caused that crazy fumble.  Detroit dropped an interception and a few important passes, and made the dumb decision to run the ball at the end, which meant they had to rely on the tiny chance of an offsides kick working.   Outcoached and (barely) outplayed, both games.  

I'm also a fan of a cursed team (Chargers). 

The Ravens are in a much better place, comparatively speaking.   They have 2 Superbowl wins vs. the Chargers' 0. and one win was under John Harbaugh's watch.  The closest thing John has had to a curse is bad luck in hiring OCs.  Todd Monken looked like his best OC hire in years during the 2023 regular season. , working well with Lamar.   Lamar did not play well in the AFCC but Monken hurt him by not trying harder to give Lamar solid run support.  Only 3 carries for your workhorse RB Gus Edwards does not count as trying to establish your running game.

The Lions appear to have found a really good HC this time in Dan Campbell.  They've been drafting well, with several rookies contributing to this breakthrough playoff run.  Thus I also do not count the Lions among the cursed.  They're going to be a problem for the rest of the NFC North for years to come.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Ravens are in a much better place, comparatively speaking.

They will remain a top AFC contender by tweaking the offense and shoring up the defense.

42 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

The Lions appear to have found a really good HC this time in Dan Campbell.  They're going to be a problem for the rest of the NFC North for years to come.  

Agreed.  The NFC North will be a battle between the Lions and Packers for a couple more years.😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This is the same HC who boneheadedly passes on two field goals and lost by 3 points?  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The losing HCs from last night will learn and apply those lessons in 2024... or else... 

Neither has reached Brandon Staley's level of fail yet

Baltimore is smart enough to not fire John Harbaugh.  Detroit should not fire their HC just yet - maybe if they tank in 2024 as embarassingly as the Chargers did in 2023.

6 hours ago, ProfD said:

As I mentioned a few posts ago, it makes no sense the Ravens abandoned their running game. 

That loss was the result of a terrible game-plan that did not attack the Chiefs defensive weakness. 

From what I'm reading in the post-mortems, the Ravens felt they needed to get the big plays to get back into the game quickly rather than patiently relying on their proven weapon.  Even the Lamar as running back strategy was abandoned.     When the pocket would collapse, instead of running for 30 yards, he would scramble looking for 50 yards and end up throwing it away.

Even Harbaugh was at a loss to describe what happened... "It was that kind of a game, I'd say. That's the way it worked out. [That's] the way the game went.".

It makes sense...  they panicked and they  let events overtake a calm strategy.     You can't blame them though...  Ravens are 0-28 when down >=10 points since 2013 so they aren't  a comeback team.

My favorite quote of all time from Michael Irvin:  "KC came into Baltimore's house and told them where their own pots and pans were gonna be.   They took it!!! "

This sets Lamar way way back as an elite winner.   Shouldn't be in the MVP picture anymore.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Baltimore is smart enough to not fire John Harbaugh.  Detroit should not fire their HC just yet - maybe if they tank in 2024 as embarassingly as the Chargers did in 2023.

Yeah, it's hard to fire Harbaugh since he has that SB as an existence proof, and winning record (some on this forum would point to his age -- he's my age, 61).   But he had better find a winning leader for the team, and as good as Lamar is, he is not a championship caliber person.  

Detroit?   Their HC is a loose canon and acts like a rookie player.   He lost the game for them and SF got lucky with the comeback.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

12 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

This sets Lamar way way back as an elite winner.   Shouldn't be in the MVP picture anymore.

Lamar Jackson will surely will the MVP.  Post season games do not go into MVP consideration, only regular season games

• Like 2
:nopity:

27 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Lamar Jackson will surely will the MVP.  Post season games do not go into MVP consideration, only regular season games

Oh, I forgot about that.  Hopefully this award gives him the unearned positive feedback that is needed for him to improve and make better decisions when it counts.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Yeah, it's hard to fire Harbaugh since he has that SB as an existence proof, and winning record (some on this forum would point to his age -- he's my age, 61).   But he had better find a winning leader for the team, and as good as Lamar is, he is not a championship caliber person.  

Detroit?   Their HC is a loose canon and acts like a rookie player.   He lost the game for them and SF got lucky with the comeback.

Harbaugh will either order Monken to produce a run-heavy game plan next time, or replace him with an OC who is willing to do the obvious, which is run the damn ball against a defense whose weakness is the run.  That's all he needs to do.  Then it won't be all on Lamar to be Superman on every single play.  2600+ rushing yards to lead the NFL helped the Ravens earn the #1 seed and Lamar contributed less than half of that.

Both Superbowl participants got there thanks to help from a functional running game.  Everyone should know by now the Niners run the ball.  But in case nobody noticed, this RB named Pacheco has been sparking the Chiefs offense whenever they needed.  I'm sure Mahomes would be glad to tell anyone who will listen just how happy he is to have an RB like Pacheco pounding the rock for him.

I think any call to fire Detroit's HC now would be premature, just like the call to fire Kyle Shanahan after just one quarter of the NFCC.

10 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Harbaugh will either order Monken to produce a run-heavy game plan next time, or replace him with an OC who is willing to do the obvious, which is run the damn ball against a defense whose weakness is the run.  That's all he needs to do.  Then it won't be all on Lamar to be Superman on every single play.  2600+ rushing yards to lead the NFL helped the Ravens earn the #1 seed and Lamar contributed less than half of that.

Well if you believe what you are saying, then you have to question who was running the show.   Who was running it?   Monken or JH?

It is clear that you think Monken was given Carte Blanche to ignore Harbaugh and this directives and philosophy regarding the game. 

I don't know where you work, or what organizations you've been apart of, but unless you're Michele Obama or Valerie Jarrett, you do what your boss wants.

Unless you have some evidence that Monken went rogue I'm not buying it.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

19 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

It is clear that you think Monken was given Carte Blanche to ignore Harbaugh and this directives and philosophy regarding the game. 

Nope.

What I said is what Harbaugh will probably do if they face the Chiefs again in the playoffs next year, assuming their run defense is as suspect by then as it was this season and post-season.

We don't know what Harbaugh's directives were to Monken before the game.  But I can speculate that by Monday morning he has some idea of where he went wrong in in handling Monken.   I further speculate he had thoughts along the lines of "I trusted Todd to give us a sensible game plan and instead he got all pass happy on me!" Harbaugh's history with the Ravens suggests he lets his OCs do their jobs while he focuses on the overall team,  but will crack down when they underperform.

Looks like the Chargers decided on a new GM - it's Joe Hortiz from the Ravens organization.    Presumably this comes after Jim Harbaugh vetted Joe with his brother John.

I'd be good with this hire.  The Ravens front office has a solid track record, from the perspective of drafting and choosing who to sign as free agents - far superior to anything Telesco did.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39417808/sources-chargers-working-hire-ravens-joe-hortiz-gm

24 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Harbaugh's history with the Ravens suggests he lets his OCs do their jobs while he focuses on the overall team,  but will crack down when they underperform.

I'm sure you know more than I do, but when things start to go south with your staff with 3 quarters remaining, you would think that the HC gives the OC a nudge.  Even if it's a tiny tiny little itty bitty nudge so that the OC doesn't feel disrespected. 

Unfortunately "cracking down" does not have the time coefficient to have its desired effect a year down the road.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Ravens OC Monken was brought in to keep the offense from relying on QB Lamar Jackson running so much. More pocket passing.

OC Monken called a better offense than his predecessor. Run/Pass balance and performance throughout the season is proof.

Ravens record was  12-5. They destroyed other playoff teams during the season. 

OC Monken just picked the wrong game to make a left turn especially against that particular defense. 😎

• Like 2

PD

5 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

I'm sure you know more than I do, but when things start to go south with your staff with 3 quarters remaining, you would thing that the HC gives the OC a nudge.  Even if it's a tiny tiny little itty bitty nudge so that the OC doesn't feel disrespected. 

End of 1st quarter might be too early to catch the run vs. pass playcalling trending in the wrong direction.   Maybe he could have caught it by halftime?  We'll never really know though what really happened between Harbaugh and Monken.  Harbaugh is not the type of HC who will air dirty laundry.

You can be sure though Harbaugh gave Monken the employee feedback he deserved.

3 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Ravens OC Monken was brought in to keep the offense from relying on QB Lamar Jackson running so much. More pocket passing.

OC Monken called a better offense than his predecessor. Run/Pass balance and performance throughout the season is proof.

OC Monken just picked the wrong game to make a left turn especially against that particular defense. 😎

Agreed.  Yes the loss was disappointing but you only fire an otherwise productive HC or OC after one playoff loss if you want your team to be like the Chargers from 2007 to... today.  Or if you're an owner like Dan Snyder was... and we all know the results of his "fire the coach every year" philosophy 🤣

The Ravens will once again be a problem for the AFC in 2024, barring unexpected injury to the likes of Lamar.

9 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Some aficionados of the game never internalize the difference between the regular season and Post-season.    I think there is your blind spot.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Both HCs of this year's Superbowl participants  endured years of failure before finally reaching the Superbowl.

Andy Reid had some good years in Philly but was eventually fired after the ownership lost patience with him.  Then he had some negative perceptions in KC - first as the "failed Eagles coach" who was just a recycle, then as the guy who can't win in the playoffs, then as the guy who can't advance far enough in the playoffs.  I'm sure somebody called for Reid to be fired in KC, although the Chiefs fanbase have generally enjoyed a reputation of being among the NFL's savviest fanbases.

Kyle Shanahan has been portrayed as the guy who couldn't advance his team past the NFCC, except he actually did once before!   Granted that was the team that fell victim for Reid's (and Mahomes and Kelce's) first Lombardi. Some sports reporters have short memories too.

15 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Some aficionados of the game never internalize the difference between the regular season and Post-season.    I think there is your blind spot.

Maybe so. Win or lose...*I* certainly would have kept doing whatever won 12 games during the season.  No need to 2nd guess. Easier to sleep at night too. 😎

• Like 2

PD

The Ravens were unable to protect Lamar. AND he is not as accurate a thrower as Mahomes, who made some incredible throws.. The better team won.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

On 1/30/2024 at 3:29 AM, MikeT156 said:

The Ravens were unable to protect Lamar. AND he is not as accurate a thrower as Mahomes, who made some incredible throws.. The better team won.

The Chiefs definitely had a better gameplan on both sides of the ball.  The Ravens gave them a gift in going away from their running game.

9 minutes ago, Outkaster said:

I think the superbowl might be boring?  Who knows? 

The Super Bowl should be good one.  Both teams are capable of explosive offense.  Great defensive play could make the game even more interesting.😎

PD