Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

On 1/29/2024 at 1:37 PM, HammondDave said:

This is the same HC who boneheadedly passes on two field goals and lost by 3 points?  

Campbell is either a hero or a goat depending on how that played out but the players lost that game, not the coach, though that trend to go for it on 4th down is a NFL trend lately I just don't get. The players gave that 3rd quarter away. Inability to have any defense, and inability to deliver when needed offensively. I listened to the Lions radio call during that game and it was their same view as it continued to unravel before their eyes: if you can't complete plays or execute, then you don't belong there. 

A  more veteran team that had been there before would not have let that happen. But now the Lions are contending for the foreseeable future and all looks bright on the horizon. A good run.

• Like 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

49 minutes ago, kpl1228 said:

...though that trend to go for it on 4th down is a NFL trend lately I just don't get.

That blame goes to the analytics craze that swept the NFL a couple years ago. 😁

Hopefully, going for it on 4th down won't become more ridiculous. 

Anything between goal and 40 yard line used to be a punting situation automatically.  Play down and distance.

Seems the Madden video game style of play is making its way into the NFL.  That's where players use all 4 downs regardless.🤣

Teams going for it on 4th down from their own 25-yard line at a non-critical point in the game is bonkers. 😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

10 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Seahawks hire Ravens DC Mike Macdonald as head coach

I always enjoyed Michael McDonald’s singing, playing, and songwriting. I never knew he had this talent too! 

Oh wait…

Best,

Geoff

Well played brotha Geoff.🤣

At 36-years old, Mike Macdonald is now the youngest HC in the league.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The team formerly known as the Redskins hiring Dan Quinn as head coach

I'm conflicted on this one:

As a lifelong Redskins fan, it's hard to be excited about someone who comes over from Dallas.

Quinn had a mediocre record as HC with the Falcons. How much of that was his fault versus the organization's?

But he then turned the Cowgirls defense into an upper tier unit. How much of that was due to his influence versus the talent on the roster?

Losing Quinn might set Dallas's defense back. Or maybe not.

Most of the commentators that I respect on Sirius NFL Radio have nothing but good things to say about Quinn. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it goes, but I don't think this was a hire that is going to fire up the fanbase.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Quinn was one of the many candidates interviewed by the Chargers for their own HC opening.  I wasn't too excited to see his name on the list either, for similar reasons (uninspiring W-L record with the Falcons etc.).

OTOH, if the Commanders GM was onboard with this hire, perhaps there's reason to be cautiously optimistic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Quinn was one of the many candidates interviewed by the Chargers for their own HC opening.  I wasn't too excited to see his name on the list either, for similar reasons (uninspiring W-L record with the Falcons etc.).

OTOH, if the Commanders GM was onboard with this hire, perhaps there's reason to be cautiously optimistic.

I hope so. I mean, he did take the Falcons to the Super Bowl...  :thu:

...where they blew a 28-3 lead.  :facepalm:

• Haha 1

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

38 minutes ago, wineandkeyz said:

The team formerly known as the Redskins hiring Dan Quinn as head coach

I'm conflicted on this one:

As a lifelong Redskins fan, it's hard to be excited about someone who comes over from Dallas.

Same here. 

After being jilted by Lions OC Ben Johnson, the Commanders hiring Cowbums DC Dan Quinn has a sloppy 2nds air about it.

Then, former Commanders HC Ron Rivera is being considered for the Cowbums DC job.

I hope the Commanders 2024 season doesn't turn out to be a mirror image of 2023 with a couple of coaches changing uniforms.😎

• Like 2

PD

Looks like the music has stopped for Hoodie.   They say he may hang around some teams and seek an opening during a 2024 team's losing streak.

It's interesting that no media figures are willing to say anything negative about him.   Maybe Tom Brady Sr. will unleash some of the elephant in the room.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

9 minutes ago, ProfD said:

After being jilted by Lions OC Ben Johnson...

Even worse was Johnson dissing them by waiting until they were en route to Detroit to interview him to tell them, "Eh, no thanks."

• Haha 2

Well around here people don't seem that interested. Bills hired a a new DC. I don't know if that means McDermott will make the calls or will he?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

26 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

Looks like the music has stopped for Hoodie.   They say he may hang around some teams and seek an opening during a 2024 team's losing streak.

That would be hilarious for a future HOF, former HC with a handful of Super Bowl rings to hang around teams looking for a job and getting the we're good over here treatment.😁😎

• Like 1

PD

Regarding Bill Belichick, I think it’s safe to say that he needed Tom Brady more than Brady needed Belichick. In fact, in today’s NFL, you can’t win a Super Bowl without having a quarterback who is at least very good, if not elite.

That said, I think coaching still plays an important role. There have been elite quarterbacks, like Dan Marino, who never won a Super Bowl. Even the best QBs need a coach who can build a solid supporting cast. Therefore, I give Belichick some credit for the Patriots’ repeated success, although I’ll stop short of calling him the GOAT. The fact that he couldn’t get it done with Mac Jones does lead me to believe Belichick is more fallible than some would believe; but I was surprised that he wasn’t given a head coach opportunity during this offseason, considering his overall track record. 

It leads me to wonder whether anyone wants to rebuild with a coach who is over 70. After all, Belichick is 71; and there’s never been a full-time NFL head coach older than 72 (although Romeo Crennel was the oldest interim coach when he was 73). Considering that fact, I doubt we’ll ever see Belichick coach in the league again.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Great comments Geoff and I think you are right.   

When you combine his age, it it just insurmountable as how a team would be willing to go down that path.

As an aside, Pete Carroll is a couple of years older and makes Hoodie look like death.    Heck Pete Carroll looks younger than Jim Harbaugh, who after the NCAA investigation appeared to look worse than Steve Jobs on his last day.

It's amazing what stress can do to the human body.    If you saw Hoodie walk into your interview room, I think that is reality check that we are seeing play out here.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

As a Life-Long Steelers Fan, I never cared for Hoody one bit. The Patriots sent the Steelers packing one too many times for me. The other thing about the Patriots organization is the way Hoody dealt with his players. NE was not a "fun place to play". Hoody always said "Do your job" which is fair. but many players complained that playing football in NE was the NFL, in this case it meant NO FUN League. Hoody was great at underpaying players, even Brady.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

4 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

That said, I think coaching still plays an important role. There have been elite quarterbacks, like Dan Marino, who never won a Super Bowl. Even the best QBs need a coach who can build a solid supporting cast. Therefore, I give Belichick some credit for the Patriots’ repeated success, although I’ll stop short of calling him the GOAT. The fact that he couldn’t get it done with Mac Jones does lead me to believe Belichick is more fallible than some would believe; but I was surprised that he wasn’t given a head coach opportunity during this offseason, considering his overall track record. 

It leads me to wonder whether anyone wants to rebuild with a coach who is over 70. After all, Belichick is 71; and there’s never been a full-time NFL head coach older than 72 (although Romeo Crennel was the oldest interim coach when he was 73). Considering that fact, I doubt we’ll ever see Belichick coach in the league again.

Best,

Geoff

i guess you forgot who was Marino’s coach… most consider Don Shula as one of the best ever. (See: “Hall of Fame”)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

4 hours ago, HammondDave said:

i guess you forgot who was Marino’s coach… most consider Don Shula as one of the best ever. (See: “Hall of Fame”)

I didn't forget. Shula deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, and his undefeated Dolphins set a record that has yet to be broken. He had trips to the Super Bowl in three consecutive decades; but despite those impressive accomplishments, he wasn't without failings.

He couldn't top Vince Lombardi or Weeb Ewbank in the '60s, despite having Johnny Unitas as a quarterback; and even with Dan Marino, he couldn't match Bill Walsh in the '80s. It seems Shula fared best with a great running attack (Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick, etc.) and a great defense.

Best,

Geoff

Packers hire Jeff Hafley away from Boston College to become their defensive coordinator

This was yesterday’s news, but I’m posting it today not just because it’s Packers news but also because it has legs. The fact that a college head coach would take an NFL defensive coordinator gig is being taken as a referendum on the chaos created by the transfer portal.

However, as this is the NFL thread, I’ll focus on the fact that Hafley seems to be a players coach and is endorsed by none other than Richard Sherman, who was coached by Hafley on the 49ers.

The Packers have generally been mediocre on the defensive side of the ball; and last year they were up and down before the playoffs, despite having eight first-round picks on the squad. Here’s hoping Hafley can get them closer to Reggie White strength.

Best,

Geoff

3 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Sad news. Weathers was great in many roles, but I'll always remember him in Rocky.

Best,

Geoff

• Love 1

Did anyone notice Journey was playing both NFC and AFC halftime music?

Must be a corporate headquarters decision. 

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 1/31/2024 at 11:18 AM, ProfD said:

That blame goes to the analytics craze that swept the NFL a couple years ago. 😁

Hopefully, going for it on 4th down won't become more ridiculous. 

Anything between goal and 40 yard line used to be a punting situation automatically.  Play down and distance.

Seems the Madden video game style of play is making its way into the NFL.  That's where players use all 4 downs regardless.🤣

Teams going for it on 4th down from their own 25-yard line at a non-critical point in the game is bonkers. 😎

I am mostly ok with the new analytics, only because the old decision criteria were just completely brain dead having teams punt at their opponent's 45 yard line with 4th and short.   

Example where the new analytics didn't pay off was KC decision to go for it rather than kick the field goal.  

We need a Quantitative Expectation Value Point Model to help with these decisions.   

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

12 minutes ago, jazzpiano88 said:

We need a Quantitative Expectation Value Point Model to help with these decisions.   

The NFL doesn't need more nerds.  The Chicago Bears tried that with Marc Trestman and he almost heated up the Windy City. They ran him outta town. 

Former Eagles and 49ers HC Chip Kelly tried a version of it and burned out players before the 3rd quarter of games.

Former Chargers HC Brandon Staley pulled the stunt one too many times during games, in press conferences and stsff meetings and while placing his order at Chick-fil-A. He got booted.

The NFL doesn't need QEVPM. Just coaches and players who understand how to play the game to win.😎

PD

Interesting developments in Washington DC:

Kliff Kingsbury to join Commanders as offensive coordinator in wild turn of events: reports

Kingsbury worked with USC quarterback Caleb Williams last season as the team’s quarterbacks coach, fueling speculation that the Commanders may have plans to negotiate with the Bears for the top draft pick for Williams.

Of course, that leads to this:

BREAKING: Commanders 'Fire' Bieniemy After Kingsbury Hire

It’s too late for Bieniemy to land a head coaching position this year, but his firing is good news for teams that are still looking for an OC for next season.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Geoff Grace said:

Interesting developments in Washington DC:

I'm not impressed with the Commanders hires so far in HC Dan Quinn and OC Kliff Kingsbury.

I will not be surprised if the Commanders  perform similar to last season and have a similar record too.

Remains to be seen whether or not new ownership and management and coaching staff can bring winning back to DC.

I wouldn't bet my house on it.🤣😎

PD

Niner's DC Steve Wilks is calling out his players for "unacceptable and embarrasing play" in lack of effort for the last part of the season.

Apparently, Wilks was within a nanosecond of being the first coach to ever be fired mid-game at halftime against the Lions.   Through a global miracle never seen in 2024 years on Earth, Dan Campbell saved Wilks's job. 

Lynch and Shanahan gave Wilks the go ahead to rake his players over the coals, as this is his last opportunity to save himself. as well to improve their odds against KC offense.

We also learned that GM John Lynch's nickname as a player was "Johnny Hustle Face".  😂

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Meanwhile in LA, Jim Harbaugh has hired Mike Devlin away from the Ravens to coach OL, ex-Ravens OC Greg Roman for a yet to be specified "prominent" offensive role, and a TE coach away from the Giants who also has Ravens ties.  No idea why Roman hasn't been officially named OC, as he served Harbaugh as OC with the Niners.  Ravens fans weren't too thrilled with his system in Baltimore, but his run-heavy style fits Harbaugh's philosophy.  I don't think Herbert would mind handing off more to RBs, in hopes of setting up play-action deep shots.  I'm sure he's sick and tired of having to operate a short passing offense because his team couldn't run the ball.

He reportedly tried to also hire his son Jay Harbaugh to coach special teams, but Jay took the Seattle ST job instead.  So he's retaining Ryan Fickens from last year's staff.  Fickens was Brandon Staley's best assistant hire, so no surprise Harbaugh decided to keep him.