Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL thread 2023-2024

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

That said I suspect Trevor Lawrence would be treated more leniently than Lamar if he decided to be his own agent on his contract extension negotiations when the time comes, and we both know why. 

? I don't.

Colts' star RB Taylor asks for trade: https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-rb-jonathan-taylor-requests-trade-in-final-year-of-rookie-contract

I get the don't pay RBs a ton of money thing, but Colts should negotiate a contract IMO. Taylor is one of the best RBs in the NFL and they have a very iffy passing game and (I think) enough cap room to do this. He's far better than Sanders, who just got a big contract. That said, hey Taylor, you signed a contract, freaking honor it and go for the gusto next year.

Zeke to the Patriots

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38192902/ex-cowboys-rb-ezekiel-elliott-joins-patriots-1-year-deal

Meanwhile in Chargerland, CJ Okoye contributed to preseason entertainment by sacking ex-Georgia, current Rams backup QB Stetson Bennett.  The feel good aspect of his story stems from coming over from Nigeria via the NFL International Player Pathway program, having never played in an organized football game in his life until last weekend.   The game also produced other highlights but only of interest to Charger fans, lol.

Interesting on Elliot. I suspect they'll use him similarly as Dallas did. I think even he has to know he's not "the guy" anymore. 

I wonder if CJ is related to Christian? 

I'm surprised there hasn't been more news of player movement - cuts, picking up guys cut, etc. 

Dalvin Cook to the Jets

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38193519/source-rb-dalvin-cook-sign-1-year-deal-jets

Another ESPN article wonders if Cook makes them a Superbowl contender.  Seems like they're high on the Jets based on Rodgers and the D shutting out the Panthers - who are led by rookie Bryce Young.

Some other transactions here and there... Chargers cut backup RB Larry Rountree.   The performance of rookie UDFA RB Dotson sealed Rountree's fate.  Dotson had 2 long, explosive TD runs.  Rountree never showed anything like that, not even against 3rd stringers in preseason.    Chargers haven't had much luck building RB depth behind Ekeler.  Dotson may not be the next Tony Pollard but might as well cut a 2 yd average RB and see what the kid might offer in his place.   Cameron Dicker appears to be winning the kicker battle, which is great because his name makes fans smile more than Hopkins; and being younger and cheaper helps.

• Like 1

lol @ ESPN. IMO Cook is annually one of the most overrated RBs in the NFL (by fans at least) - he'd occasionally break a long one, padding his stats and partly masking all the plays where he did little. I think I said this before, but almost every if not every time I saw him play, I was underwhelmed. And that's not even taking into account how often he was nicked up. If the Jets make a serious run (which I doubt), it's with Hall at RB.

In other news, RB Hunt is a POS but I'm surprised he's still available. Happy, but surprised. I just hope he signs somewhere like AZ. 

Smart move by the Pats. RB Zeke Elliott could be a good tandem alongside RB Rhamondre Stevenson. 

IMO, RB Dalvin Cook is solid when he's healthy. He gave the Vikes a better chance of staying in closde games especially when QB Cousins struggled. 

If RB Kareem Hunt doesn't land on a team before the season starts, he'll definitely be a 1st call if/when a team has an injured RB. 

Right now, RBs are not a #1 priority in the pass happy NFL. That will change in a few years.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

12 hours ago, bill5 said:

? Because?

The NFL has championed the passing game for many years now.  Supposedly, throwing the ball is more exciting to casual fans than running it.

2 hours ago, bill5 said:

Colts name Richardson the starter for the year. IMO I'd have started Minshew, but I get the throw them into the fire strategy. It will be an up n down year for the Colts but interesting to see if he works out or not

I'm not totally surprised by the move. 

QB Minshew is a known quantity.  Teams don't know how to game-plan for QB Richardson yet. 

If QB Richardson struggles, it's easy enough to plug QB Minshew in the rotation and keep rolling.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

2 hours ago, ProfD said:

The NFL has championed the passing game for many years now.  Supposedly, throwing the ball is more exciting to casual fans than running it.

Why do you think that will change?

I'm not totally surprised by the move. 

QB Minshew is a known quantity.  Teams don't know how to game-plan for QB Richardson yet. 

If QB Richardson struggles, it's easy enough to plug QB Minshew in the rotation and keep rolling.😎

All very true. They know they aren't going to the SB anyway, so probably would like to see what they have sooner vs later.

Side note, I'm sorry but is anyone else sick of hearing about the Bills' safety Hamlin?  oooh he played in the Bill's first pre-season game, omg let's give him a medal. I'm sorry he had a heart attack but knock on wood he recovered long ago, he's fine, move on already. The media acts like he survived the Holocaust or is playing on one leg or something. 

7 hours ago, bill5 said:

Why do you think that will change?

Teams will come up with better run/pass balance as QBs become more mobile.

30 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Side note, I'm sorry but is anyone else sick of hearing about the Bills' safety Hamlin? 

Yep. The media is pathetic in their incessant coverage of S Hamlin.

Of course, none of this will keep me watching  NFL games. 😁😎

• Like 2

PD

I rarely watch linear TV, so I only get media coverage of Hamlin if I look for it on purpose.  Youtube doesn't recommend any Hamlin related vids to me either.

The ESPN site already moved on from him to Michael Oher drama of some sort.  They do love drama, whether created by current or former players, or by ESPN personalities themselves.   I thought Stephen A over there was just a clown but actually he is a genius - he's gotten very rich off of how he goes about his job - there's calculation going on behind his antics.

Agree to disagree. "Stephen A" (what's with that so-called name anyway...is that like Racer X?) is just a clown and why he's employed anywhere I can't imagine. As soon as I see that name on ESPN I skip right past. Then again, I skip past ESPN most of the time in general as they are the poster children for sports clowns. I just browse the site occasionally to get updates; even If I still had cable, I would never watch it. 

My main point is because I don't watch linear TV often, I don't get exposed to stories that annoy me, be it over-exposed ones like Hamlin's.  I can easily ignore annoying stories.

ESPN isn't the greatest but now there's so many sports sites that just harvest anything they see on Twitter and post it as news without fact checking - including CBS and Sports Illustrated.

ESPN is going through a troubling phase in which they cut back their staff and on air personnel. They also have established ties to sports gambling, which could color their news stories. 

Nonetheless, I still consider them a decent source of sports coverage, albeit one I take with a grain or two of salt.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

16 hours ago, bill5 said:

Then again, I skip past ESPN most of the time in general as they are the poster children for sports clowns.

The grift is very real when it comes to that class of characters. 

Failed, fallen and former athletes and the Skip Bayless types who *talk* a good game.🤣😎

• Like 1

PD

Sports reporting is in a sad state these days.  Too many reporters who follow the Jim Rome path (eg. Bayless).   Too many self-styled journalists who just pass on what they see on  Twitter/X without checking what is true and what isn't.

Sports Illustrated seems to let anyone with an X account post an article.  No vetting or anything.

• Like 2

Looks like Taylor's days as a Colt are over: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jonathan-taylor-landing-spots-colts-give-all-pro-rb-permission-to-seek-trade/

I wonder what they'd get for him? I think a #1 is reasonable. Then again, this is the team that traded Faulk for a #2. doh! 

Richardson better pan out and they'll have to hope for a good RB rookie next year. Otherwise, it looks like bad times for Colt fans. 

lol - nothing could compare to that ridiculous trade. 

I dunno. One of the league's best backs in his prime? Of course if Taylor doesn't get any serious takers, it could work out for them, unless he decides to be a douche and hold out the entire season. 

And if they do trade him, then what? Take their lumps and reload next year? Look to trade for someone else? I think Carter from NYJ would be worth a try. They're loaded now with Cook and Hall and he shouldn't cost much. Moss definitely isn't the answer.