Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit it feels a little like my favorite band broke up, or at least like the lead vocalist left on not so amicable terms. I know there are people here who don't think I should feel this way, but I'm bummed.

I know the Favre controversy had spread like a cancer, and now it's been treated. So, I do see the end of this as a good thing -- but just not this end. I would have liked for Favre and Green Bay's management to have cooled off and realized that Favre on the Packers would have been best for Brett and for the team. Regardless of whether or not Favre should have been the starter, the Packers are now playing without a safety net at quarterback without him. They'll probably have a winning year; but if Aaron Rodgers gets injured, all bets are off.

Regardless, while I may be disappointed, it's nothing like when the Rams left LA. I'm sure I'll shake off most of the bad feelings soon enough. I was a spoiled fan during the Favre era with just one losing season; so even though it ended badly, that won't erase more than a decade's worth of fan satisfaction.

For the next few days though, I'm gonna let it flow and let it go, as the new agers like to say. So, in that spirit, I'd just like to say:

This sucks!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Well Geoff, it doesn't look like we'll get option #1. Hang in here mayne.

We'll still have plenty football to discuss including this saga which will continue throughout the season whether the Packers and Jets win or lose.

The pundits are already trying to spin it that Favre will have a decent O line in NY. Still, they only have one decent WR, a TE and a RB coming off injury. Maybe trade or free agency will bring another offensive weapon or two.

While I do not agree with the trade and still believe he should have gone fishing instead, I hope Favre can somehow rally the Jets above mediocrity and end his career augmented versus half-diminished. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The Jets have made a quite a bunch of off season moves that could 'potentially' help them contend. Brett will certainly help sell seats, and with a new stadium coming, they need to do that. I'm sure this went into their decision to go after Brett.

It ain't gonna save Mangini's job, is all I'm saying.

This could definitely be Mangini's year to sink or swim.

To a limited extent does it appear that a team factors in lack of player personnel and strength of schedule in determining the fate of a coach. :rolleyes:

Because they are young HCs, I do want to see Mangini, Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton, etc., succeed in the NFL. Recycling those same old cats gets tired. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have to admit it feels a little like my favorite band broke up, I know there are people here who don't think I should feel this way, but I'm bummed.

This sucks!

Well Geoff, you know I overstand these feelings, having just gone thru the not nearly as publisized, but equally painfull McNair "lockout" by Tennessee a couple years ago.

What got me thru is realizing it happens a lot in the sports biz. Players are like pieces of property. and when the suits decide there ego matters more than a players legacy, then stuff like this just happens. Once you realize that if it can happen to Montana and Rice, Jordan, Barry Sanders, and even Tom Landry, then you realize it can happen to your guy too. Gotta just move on to the new team and support your guy.

What's unreal about this Geoff, is that this happened to both our Mississippi QB dawgs in almost the same fashion. Let's hope Brett has a better time of his transition than McNair did!

Chin up! :thu:

TROLL . . . ish.

All right! Now this is NEWS I CAN USE! I feel bad for Geoff and--even more--the Packer faithful in GB who don't get to live in SoCal and write music all day ;) -- BUT...

I'm thrilled to be done with the ugly breakup melodrama, and I am thrilled to see BF come to NY/NJ and not TB. Why?

Like most NYG fans, I don't hate the NYJ--meekly root for them, in fact. Watching this offense under Pennington all these years--well, I made a joke about it once, and it stuck, for me at least, so I'll use it again: Chad has the accuracy of a laser surgeon...and the range.

Why have the Jets struggled to run the ball? Because there ain't a coach in the NFL who feels obliged to keep a safety more than 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. No more. With Faneca there, and Favre, watch for Thomas Jones to have a big year. Watch for Cotchery and Coles to remind us that they're GOOD.

You had to do this if you're the Jets. Kellen Clemens' psyche can not be the first consideration...

And if you're worried about Mangini's job, you gotta remember that he's part of the wunderkind package--the GM is Tannenbaum who, I believe, is younger even than Mangini and also has the NE pedigree. Woody would have to bail on the whiole administration, and I think it will be a while before he's ready to do that.

Great move for The Jets. Even if it fails.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Watch for Cotchery and Coles to remind us that they're GOOD.

I expect Coles to remind us, as he does every year, that he's FRAGILE :D

And if you're worried about Mangini's job, you gotta remember that he's part of the wunderkind package--the GM is Tannenbaum who, I believe, is younger even than Mangini and also has the NE pedigree. Woody would have to bail on the whiole administration, and I think it will be a while before he's ready to do that.

Well, Woody probably will bail if they post another 4-12 season with all that money spent.

Viewing it from that angle, though, you're right - 8-8 might just stave off the inevitable.

I don't see where the Jets have added 6 wins. They upgraded the O-Line, added Favre, but then lost the heart of their defense (Vilma)

Let's do a mock schedule for the Jets, shall we?

@ Fins - W

v Pats - L

@ Chargers - L

v Cards - W

v Bengals - W, unless Chad and Carson have kissed and made up.

@ Raiders - This actually could be interesting, but I'll give them the W anyway, for our speculation purposes...

v KC - W

@ Buff - L - yes, they lose this one. The Bills were a tough competitor last year even with all the injuries. This year they're healthy...

v Rams - W

@ Pats - L

@ Titans - L

v Broncos - L

@ 49'ers - W - although the Jets have never travelled to the West Coast very well.

v Bills - W - home field makes all the difference with these two evenly matched teams.

@ Seattle - L - see 9'ers

v Fins - W

OK, I got 9-7 here, with about 4 games (2 W's and 2 L's) that could swing either direction.

I guess 10-6 isn't impossible, but likely? Nah.

Take the big picture 4-12 last year. It happens; when expectations crash, they crash hard. 10-6 year before, same team really. split the diff and you've got 7-9, and yes I think they are 3 games better with Favre

It looks like I will start watching Jets/Patriots games when I go to the sports bar on Sundays to watch my Steelers. This place I go to has every game on a different TV or set of TV's so it could be an interesting side show. It will be even more interesting if the Jets can knock of the Patriots once. Twice would be better, but so would hitting the lottery.

Go Jets!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Take the big picture 4-12 last year. It happens; when expectations crash, they crash hard. 10-6 year before, same team really. split the diff and you've got 7-9, and yes I think they are 3 games better with Favre

C'mon Mags, I posted the sked - tell me which 10 they're winning?

While I do not agree with the trade and still believe he should have gone fishing instead, I hope Favre can somehow rally the Jets above mediocrity and end his career augmented versus half-diminished. :cool:

Witty and well put, ProfD! :thu:

Well Geoff, you know I overstand these feelings, having just gone thru the not nearly as publisized, but equally painfull McNair "lockout" by Tennessee a couple years ago.

I know full well you've been there, my friend; and I've thought about it more than once during this Favre saga. The way the Titans discarded Steve McNair was indeed painful to watch!

("Overstand" -- I like that one too. Well put, meccajay! :thu: )

What got me thru is realizing it happens a lot in the sports biz. Players are like pieces of property. and when the suits decide there ego matters more than a players legacy, then stuff like this just happens. Once you realize that if it can happen to Montana and Rice, Jordan, Barry Sanders, and even Tom Landry, then you realize it can happen to your guy too. Gotta just move on to the new team and support your guy.

Great examples all, and I agree that part of this is about the egos of the guys in suits. This Packers management cleaned house so quickly and thoroughly that it sure looked like they wanted to create a team that was all theirs, one that they could take complete credit for. Favre was one of the few loose ends left from the old guard; and now that he's gone, if the Packers win the Super Bowl the front office can take full credit.

What's unreal about this Geoff, is that this happened to both our Mississippi QB dawgs in almost the same fashion. Let's hope Brett has a better time of his transition than McNair did!

Thanks, meccajay. Steve deserved a much better end to his career. He was all class.

Chin up! :thu:

Will do. :cool:

All right! Now this is NEWS I CAN USE! I feel bad for Geoff and--even more--the Packer faithful in GB who don't get to live in SoCal and write music all day ;)

Yes I have a very good life, and I've stayed much aware of that during this bad time as a fan.

I'm thrilled to be done with the ugly breakup melodrama, and I am thrilled to see BF come to NY/NJ and not TB. Why?

Like most NYG fans, I don't hate the NYJ--meekly root for them, in fact. Watching this offense under Pennington all these years--well, I made a joke about it once, and it stuck, for me at least, so I'll use it again: Chad has the accuracy of a laser surgeon...and the range.

Why have the Jets struggled to run the ball? Because there ain't a coach in the NFL who feels obliged to keep a safety more than 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. No more. With Faneca there, and Favre, watch for Thomas Jones to have a big year. Watch for Cotchery and Coles to remind us that they're GOOD.

I said much the same thing to my wife last night. I'm very much in agreement with your assessment of Chad Pennington (witty analogy, BTW), and Brett Favre will be able to spread opponents' defenses in contrast to really open up the field and the game for the Jets.

The Buccaneers may or may not have improved over last year with Favre at the helm, but the Jets almost certainly will.

Congrats, John. :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

C'mon Mags, I posted the sked - tell me which 10 they're winning?

Come on, in this sport of all sports, you never know who's going to be surprising or in what way, coming out the gate, with the exception of, really, two or three teams that you can pencil in at the top or the bottom.

But, OK -- I think they can beat the Broncos, I think they can beat the Titans, and I predict they will will win one againts the Pats. Oh and I thnk they can beat the S'Hawks, who, I think, are heading in the other direction.

See what you gots to dig is how profoundly the Jets QB woes have affected every dimension of their play. If Favre performs well and keeps his bravura-related mistakes to a reasonable minimum, this is a different team.

If Favre performs well and keeps his bravura-related mistakes to a reasonable minimum, this is a different team.

And herein lies the crux of the issue.

Brett Favre has never thrown fewer than 13 INT's in all his years as a starter. In fact, over 16 seasons at Green Bay, he averaged 17.875 picks per year - 1.13 per game. Even Noodle-arm Pennington only averaged .901 INT's per start.

Over his last three seasons, Brett has thrown 62 INT's and lost 15 fumbles (77 TO's) versus 67 TD's (66 pass, 1 rush) - averaging over 1.6 TO's per game.

The problem for the Jets? Their defense, minus Jonathan Vilma, isn't stout enough to recover from that many turnovers - especially against New England. You give Tom Brady two extra turns to throw the ball and he'll bury you.

All the focus on the Jets offense with Brett Farve now. I think that in order for them to win the games that could go either way, it's their defense that will probably decide those games for them in the end IMO.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

I don't see where the Jets have added 6 wins. They upgraded the O-Line, added Favre, but then lost the heart of their defense (Vilma)

They also have a lot riding on Jenkins (Carolina) at nose tackle, hoping he is a major upgrade from Dewayne Robertson(now on Denver). Their secondary has some guys that can make plays with Kerry Rhodes and Darrel Revis. While Vilma seems like a big loss, he wasn't really doing well with the Mangini regime.

We're all on the same page in my eyes, the Jets are a middle of the road team. Then so were the Giants this time last year. :D

Archived