Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2008-2009 Thread

Dave Bryce

Oh heavens no, I am not tired of Geoff's concerns on the subject.

Thanks, John.

I am just a little tired of Favre as a media story.

I can certainly understand that.

You know what I think? I think Michael Strahan is quietly mulling his return. The whole rhythm of the retirement psychodrama is so obvious--every year, they feel they can't do it all over again, especially training camp and preseason. Then after a few months of golf and having the in-laws over for dinner, their bodies start sending different messages.

Back in the '90s, I used to work grueling schedules, averaging only 3-4 hours sleep per day (I worked nights) and getting even less sleep as the deadline approached. After months of working that hard, I was relieved when production moved to a new phase and I could crash. Then, after being off work for awhile, I would start to crave the adrenaline rush of working like that again. What I'm getting at is, if someone asked me to commit to another massive project while I was still in my burnout phase, I'd probably turn them down; but once I'd recovered, I'd want back in. So, I get why athletes who give their all might not be ready to commit by draft day, but they might be craving it by training camp -- especially after decades (counting high school and college) of playing.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taylor goes to the Redskins

Well I am sure ProfD is happy. The rest of us NFC East fans would have been happy to see his new dance moves elsewhere.

:thu:

I think Taylor was a great acquisition. Better late than never to address the DE position. Unfortunately, we lose Daniels for the season.

Geoff, this is the football thread mayne. Feel free to discuss the Favre saga all season. Hopefully, he will not keep us in suspense that long. :laugh:

The HoF game is two weeks from now and my team is playing in it. :eek::)

Guess real football fans get excited about the symbolic games too i.e. preseason, Pro Bowl and HoF. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Shockey going to the Saints! :wave:

I thought he was worth more than a 2nd and a 5th, but he has had a history of injuries. Probably a good move for both sides.

If this turns out to be true, I'm actually a little disappointed, but only a little. I gave Jeremy an outside shot at one of those redemtpive seasons, and you can never have too many weapons or too much depth.

In the NFL, a 2nd round pick is real value. Shockey himself was (I believe) a 15th overall pick, and looked to be well worth it early in his career. He is injury prone and a bit of a distraction, but I still thought he might make a major contribution this year.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

It's also worth noting that this represents some real cap relief for the the NYG.

When they were so quiet last offseason, I thought they were conceding. We know how that turned out, so I won;t suggest it again, but it does look like they're loading up for 2009-10, which is (I think) when they move into their conroversial new stadium.

Looking at this from the Saints perspective; if Shockey can stay healthy, this gives the Saints another solid weapon. If they spread it out, they could make it very difficult for some tgeams to contain them.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Taylor goes to the Redskins

Well I am sure ProfD is happy. The rest of us NFC East fans would have been happy to see his new dance moves elsewhere.

I'm looking forward to JT running back a fumble back for a touchdown and treating us to a spicy End-Zone Mambo.

:D

Cha-cha-cha!!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Looking at this from the Saints perspective; if Shockey can stay healthy, this gives the Saints another solid weapon. If they spread it out, they could make it very difficult for some tgeams to contain them.

Well, it's a two-edged sword, really.

Sir Ankle McBreaks-A-Lot won't be complaining about not being involved enough in the offense - if for no other reason than Drew Brees will just tell him to STFU, something Eli was too wuss to do.

Sir Ankle McBreaks-A-Lot won't be complaining about not being involved enough in the offense - if for no other reason than Drew Brees will just tell him to STFU, something Eli was too wuss to do.

Wuss has got one more ring than Junior Seau and Randy Moss combined! ;)

I will not be at all surprised if Shockey has a huge year for the Saints, and if Colston and Bush have huger years because he's there.

Favre Is Done?

We reiterate that this is an unconfirmed tip. Then again, unconfirmed tips have been working out pretty well for us of late, so were more inclined than usual to press our luck.

Per the tipster, Favre is abandoning his attempt to return to the NFL. Were told the Packers presented him with a list of three teams to which theyd attempt to trade him, and that Favre refused each one.

Best,

Geoff

Wow -- Brett Favre's comments about Green Bay GM Ted Thompson, in his interview with Greta Van Susteren of Fox News, were pretty damning. In addition, the Packers have charged the Vikings with tampering to lure Favre to Minnesota, and the NFL is investigating. Tony Dungy is siding with Packers management. LaDainian Tomlinson is siding with Brett Favre. It's like a virus spreading out into the rest of the league. I wonder where it's all going to end.

And now, in an unprecedented move, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has gotten involved:

NFL orders Packers to resolve Favre issue

"...preferably by the time training camp opens Sunday."

Best,

Geoff

Rod Smith's retirement has made me nostalgic for better days for my second favorite Denver Broncos, and it's also added another perspective on Brett Favre's situation with my favorite Packers.

Smith played on two Super Bowl teams with the Broncos at the finale of John Elway's career; and in Super Bowl XXXIII, he caught five passes for 152 yards, the fifth-most receiving yardage in history.

I wonder what it must have been like for Smith to start with Elway and then follow with Brian Griese and a succession of struggling quarterbacks. Does he ever wonder if he'd had another year or two of Elway feeding him the ball whether he'd be a better candidate for the Hall of Fame?

I also wonder what Denver coach Mike Shanahan must think of the Favre debacle. Does he wish he could have had one more year with Elway before he retired? Would he tell Packers coach Mike McCarthy to hold onto Brett Favre, because no one really knows how good, or bad, Aaron Rodgers is going to be?

Aaron Rodgers must have more pressure on him than any quarterback since Steve Young. It's enough to follow in the footsteps of one of the greatest ever quarterbacks, but to have that quarterback pushed aside for you ... well, you'd better be damned good!

Anyway, farewell Rod Smith. I hope you make the Hall of Fame.

Best,

Geoff

Favre will play somewhere. GB is playing hardball because they don't want to give away something (Brett's contact) for nothing. The league will recommend binding arbitration. The Pack will get $$ and maybe some picks, and an old, gray QB will have his last hurrah.

Until his NEXT last hurrah.

Unless I'm wrong, of course. :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

It looks like Favre is serious about playing again. The Bucs and Jets have been given permission to talk to him. I think he would really help the Bucs and with Gruden there the offense would be easier for him to pick up IMO.

- Rush

There are certainly mixed signals. Favre failed to file for reinstatement on Friday, which he was supposed to do if he planned to show up at training camp tomorrow.

Brett wants to play again, but his options with the Buccaneers, Jets, or as a backup in Green Bay may not be attractive enough to lure Favre back. The Bucs and Jets have permission to talk to Brett, but does he want to talk to them? Even if both sides are interested, will anyone pay the Packers' asking price?

Of course, Favre always has the sit and wait option. If Rodgers gets injured or doesn't work out, Brett could come back in September or October as a Packer; or he could come back as a Seahawk, for example, if Matt Hasselbeck got injured.

My bet is Favre stays retired at this point and maybe for all time.

Best,

Geoff

Today's installment:

Favre delays arrival to Packers camp at GM's request

Favre said no the the Bucs & Jets, and he would be in Green Bay now if it weren't for Thompson's plea to Brett to wait.

In the meantime ... one week until the Hall of Fame game!

Best,

Geoff

Today's installment:

Favre said no the the Bucs & Jets, and he would be in Green Bay now if it weren't for Thompson's plea to Brett to wait.

Best,

Geoff

This drama game is getting old. Brett has such a stellar reputation. I don't see why he wants to tarnish it by doing this.

As far as the Bucs and Jets go, I have not read anything where he has said no to the Bucs. Latest rumor mill has that there is an offer on table (as of last night) for a trade to the Bucs which would consist of a conditional 1st round pic. The Bucs are holding out for a 2nd.

I really have mixed feelings about this whole thing. Brett coming to Tampa would be a media circus. We already have an aging QB who is often injured. Does Gruden and Allen really think Brett can take them to the SB this year? If not, then why bother?

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Today's installment:

Best,

Geoff

This drama game is getting old. Brett has such a stellar reputation. I don't see why he wants to tarnish it by doing this.

As far as the Bucs and Jets go, I have not read anything where he has said no to the Bucs. Latest rumor mill has that there is an offer on table (as of last night) for a trade to the Bucs which would consist of a conditional 1st round pic. The Bucs are holding out for a 2nd.

I really have mixed feelings about this whole thing. Brett coming to Tampa would be a media circus. We already have an aging QB who is often injured. Does Gruden and Allen really think Brett can take them to the SB this year? If not, then why bother?

I agree with what your saying. What if he winds up on a good legitimate team as a starter(unlikely) or backup and the starter gets hurt? He could play the hero and maybe reached the promised land one more time. So what is a scenario where this all fits, Maybe somewhere like Dallas or another team along those lines. I know it sounds crazy but based upon the current mess 0f this situation, why not? If you're BF, would you go to Dallas or another contender and play the role of backup?

- Rush

Today's installment:

Best,

Geoff

As far as the Bucs and Jets go, I have not read anything where he has said no to the Bucs.

This is from the Chris Mortensen story I linked to above:

Favre is open to a trade but not just to the New York Jets or Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Maybe I misread it, but I took that as a "no" answer.

Best,

Geoff

Maybe I misread it, but I took that as a "no" answer.

It's all speculation at this point. The ESPN story yesterday said it was Tampa and the Pack were using the Jets as a leverage tool to up the price.

Dan Patrick had a story on CNN yesterday saying the trade to Tampa would take place in less than 72 hours.

I have no idea what Brett's real intentions are. I think he would rather stay with the Pack and play another year. I can't see him going anywhere where he would be a backup

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

What's that? The Goodyear Blimp showing up at the Steelers Training camp in Latrobe? NO....that's Casey Hampton, our Pro Bowl Nose Tackle that was 30 yards behind Brett Kiesel during their eight 100 yard sprints that start camp. Hampton finished five of the sprints, but was all she wrote. Coach Tomlin put him on the unable to perform list, he has to get in shape and lose weight before he can practice with the team. Hampton has had these issues before, showing up for camp like it was his next visit to the buffet line. Unprofessional to say the least. Lazy sounds more like it.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived