Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Farewell, Wayne Shorter

I keep thinking how many of these are going to happen. Making it to 89 was pretty good though and he gave us a lot.

To me the Jazz Messenger period that he did was very significant....perhaps a bit more accessible than the Miles days but there is no doubt about his contribution as one of the major jazz composers.

I also thought the Native Dancer record with Milton Naciamento was eventful. It was one of those recordings that just about broke through to the mainstream.

I always sort of thought he was buried in the Weather Report technology.

And also.... his interviews reveal a very unique mind.... he liked to quote from comic books for example.....

• Like 1

The celestial orchestra just inherited another star.  Thanks for leaving us with a great body of music.   RIP Mr. Wayne Shorter.😎

• Like 3
  • Love 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

😭 😭 😭 😭

Well, at 89, you could say that you have lived your full life.

A friend of mine has played with Wayne. He told me that on their first meeting, he told Wayne, "You know, you have changed my life".

Wayne replied, "You have changed my life, too".

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

Like so many, I would not be the musician I am without Wayne. My deep love of Brazilian pop music is because I got to Milton Nascimento via Native Dancer. My conception of synth lead playing comes as much from Wayne’s Lyricon work as Zawinul’s 2600. The blend between those two is inspirational in terms of how to orchestrate synths around acoustic instruments. As an unrepentant jazz nerd in high school, Wayne’s involvement led me to Joni Mitchell and Steely Dan with open ears. The brilliance of his arranging, from Blakey to Imani Winds.

I am so happy his opera, Efigenia, was performed in his lifetime. My heart breaks for Carolina, Herbie, Milton, esperanza, Danilo, John Pattitucci & Brian Blade, his assistant Jesse Markowitz & his biographer Michelle Mercer.

Thank you, Wayne. We’re forever in your shadow. 

• Love 3

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

BTW, I may be wrong but I think Wayne Shorter used to play almost predominantly the soprano saxophone which is not typical for a hardcore jazz player. The soprano is more often associated with smooth jazz. He was really a master of extracting some unique essence from what is apparently not the first instrument choice of other sax players. 

4 hours ago, Mark Zeger said:

Of the legacy Wayne leaves, maybe the greatest is young musicians discovering jazz will be playing “Footprints”.

And playing the wrong changes on the turnaround!

A huge loss. So many great compositions though, and those will be around forever.

• Like 1

"The word 'jazz,' to me, "only means 'I dare you.'"
                    ~ Wayne Shorter    

• Like 4

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

One of the greatest ever. RIP Wayne Shorter. 

I saw him play several times. The first time was with Weather Report in the late 70’s at the Beacon Theater in Manhattan. Amazing!

The last time was at a rehearsal for a classical piece he was writing. I think it was his opera but since it was several years ago and there were no singers I’m not sure about this. He was rehearsing with an orchestra and his jazz quartet. I spoke with him briefly during the break. He was a gentle, humble musical genius. The quartet was fantastic: John Pattatucci, Brian Blade, and Danilo Perez. After a short conversation with Wayne I spoke with John (and his sister and nephew) a bit longer. The music was incredible and watching how they rehearsed was very interesting. 

I’m the second guy from the left. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes...this one really hurts...although I saw it coming after reports regarding his health

What a genius...both as a player and composer...although I didn't get him in my younger years...Brecker and those types of players were easier to digest then for me

No wonder Zawinul never wanted to play with another sax player again...

He was on a different planet alltogether

I will never forget a special he did in Sweden many years ago...it was "supposed to be" Wayne talking about music, and there was a panel of some music journalists and prominent Swedish jazz musicians. One of them asked him " tell us about your compositional process" (expecting a "normal" answer) and Wayne went typical "Wayne" with some deep esoteric talk and that whole panel looked like big questions marks :)  The whole evening went on like this and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The concert the day after was the musical equivalent of the previous night and made total sense...it was like watching a movie. I was there with some more traditional jazz players who's response was..."what boring bs..like one long "tune"...what is this?....why didn't he play any standards?"

After the talk the night before I went up to talk to him and told him I wanted to show him a book. His eyes lit up but said he was very tired and asked me if I'm coming to the gig the day after..."You bet"

So he called his stage manager and told him to let me in back stage after the gig.

And so it happened. He was excited as kid on Christmas Eve..."show me the book, show me the book" :)

So we were discussing some Buddhist stuff and other deep things

Just yesterday I listened to an interview with bass monster Gary Willis who played with Wayne for a year and a half. When the band first got together the "rehearsal" was Wayne playing a seminar with Nikola Tesla :) 

RIP Maestro and thanks for all the fantastic music 

• Like 3

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer