Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Bohemian Rhapsody movie

George88

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say the proper place to stack keyboard players.

So they can do their nerdy layers and split synthi stuff and create appropriate musical 'wall paper' to support the rest of the band, but only few listeners would have guessed they were in the mix. The singer and lead guitarist have a job to do up front, now we really shouldn't get in their way should we ?

:cool:

With gigs this weekend and the NFL on Sunday ;) I plan on seeing it early next week in a theater with premium sound. There are IMAX scenes - if anyone catches it in IMAX is it worth it? Otherwise I'll go to my favorite Cinetopia with it's awesome Meyer system.

When Bohemian Rhapsody first came out, never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that it would become one of the most beloved songs of the 20th Century. Millenials in particular practically know it by heart.

Watched it last night, enjoyed it a lot. And yeah loved the attention to detail in the Live Aid bit - they even faithfully replicated the errors the band made etc, was really impressed.

I saw it last night in IMAX. IMAX highly recommended for this one! I felt like I was IN the BAND in some of the scenes...

Despite the many so-so reviews (which I tend not to pay any attention to anyway), I thought it was one of the better movies I have seen in quite some time.

"You're either WITH me, or you're AGIN' Me!" (Yosemite Sam)

The song "Bohemian Rhapsody" received two grammy nominations in 1977.

The first in the category Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus. And the winner was Chicago "If You Leave Me Now".

The second in the category Best Arrangement for Voices. And the winner was Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight".

It's funny that people in the music business at the time didn't recognize what a superior achievement "Bohemian Rhapsody" was.

"If You Leave Me Now" has been used in several movies and TV shows.

"Afternoon Delight" has been used in dozens of movies and TV shows and an Afternoon Delight movie came out in 2013.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" has been used in only a couple of movies.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

The New York Times review by A.O. Scott is not kind. He sprinkles Queen lyrics throughout the review, ending with:

Bohemian Rhapsody

Rated PG-13. Mud on your face. Big disgrace. Running time: 2 hours 14 minutes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/30/movies/bohemian-rhapsody-review.html

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

The New York Times review by A.O. Scott is not kind.

The article is unnecessarily snide, but his point about doing better with a stack of records and Youtube rings true. I can't stand biopics about people or bands that I remember myself. Ray Charles, Ali, Prince, whatever - I'd rather go back and see the original person do what they did best than watch somebody imitate the magic.

Moe

---

Im kind of dreading next years Elton biopic, Rocketman, starring the kid in those silly Kingsman movies.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2066051/

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Sorry to be Ignorant of this movie. I saw some news headlines and some musicians on social media discussing.

Can somebody just give a brief synopsis of this? Is it a biography with actors, a documentary, real footage? Is it like the Doors movie with Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison or more like actually covering Queen with real footage?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sorry to be Ignorant of this movie. I saw some news headlines and some musicians on social media discussing.

Can somebody just give a brief synopsis of this? Is it a biography with actors, a documentary, real footage? Is it like the Doors movie with Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison or more like actually covering Queen with real footage?

yes :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I was bummed when Sasha Baron Cohen dropped out of playing Freddie. I thought he could have been great.

Ill most likely wait until it comes to HBO. No diss to the movie, most definitely a diss to the moviegoing experience. Ive come to loathe it.

yes :)

So I thought Val did well and that was a decent movie. So have you seen BH? For those who have seen both, please compare/contrast. So I can have a point of reference.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Went yesterday with the kids since they have been singing the Queen songs all last week, youtube is great.

They really liked it, especially my 13 and 15 y.o.

Personally I think it was ok and got better somewhere midfilm, when recording Bohemian Rhapsody. I dont know what kind of character Freddie Mercury actually was, in the movie they show him as a lonely star with an enormous confidence and will that took Queen to rockn roll heaven. But the confidence is also illustrated as a facade to protect his complex especially for his teeth and his loneliness. Rami Malek paints a overdriven and plastic picture that is sometimes enterataining, and sometimes too much. To make the film more interesting some things have been changed around in time, like the diagnosis of HIV happening before Live Aid.

I saw Queen perform at Live aid, at that time they were an old band and my interest was more towards U2, Howard Jones, Simple Minds, Madonna...Madonna by the way, I had more the feelings many had with Britney Spears at the time, since then she has grown. Anyhow, I remember the Queen performance just as it was shown in the film.....the film was entertaining and since the kids enjoyed it, it was well worth seeing at the movie theater with good sound.

There is a scene in every biopic that always makes me cringe: it's the one where some character tells the audience why the main character matters. Sometimes the one doing the telling is the main character.

"You've done it, Pollack. You've broken it wide open," says his wife, miraculously knowing what others will say when looking back from a point in the future, while he pours paint onto the canvas for the first time.

"Ray Charles, you are mixing gospel with R&B. Why, no one's ever done that before. I bet the religious folks are going to be mad but the people will love it!"

"No, no, I hear all the sounds in my head to an almost annoying extent and that is why I have hired you all to play my next album 'Pet Sounds' exactly like those sounds!"

Etc., etc.

Anyway, I find those scenes really uncomfortable, and near as I could tell from the trailer, the Queen movie is basically one long movie of those kinds of scenes.

Those who saw it, what say you?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Haha, yeah, yeah, at some point during the film Queen is described as genius, something to do with the title of the film. At the same time there must be a reason for making a film about somebody right ? .......

There is a scene in every biopic that always makes me cringe: it's the one where some character tells the audience why the main character matters. Sometimes the one doing the telling is the main character.

"You've done it, Pollack. You've broken it wide open," says his wife, miraculously knowing what others will say when looking back from a point in the future, while he pours paint onto the canvas for the first time.

"Ray Charles, you are mixing gospel with R&B. Why, no one's ever done that before. I bet the religious folks are going to be mad but the people will love it!"

"No, no, I hear all the sounds in my head to an almost annoying extent and that is why I have hired you all to play my next album 'Pet Sounds' exactly like those sounds!"

Etc., etc.

Anyway, I find those scenes really uncomfortable, and near as I could tell from the trailer, the Queen movie is basically one long movie of those kinds of scenes.

My mate provided all of the vintage backline for the movie.

He has enough WEM equipment to recreate the Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii rig (including some original PF WEM equipment). He also has the original EMS VCS3 factory demonstrator synth, the lucky sod.

So many drummers, so little time.

Is it like the Doors movie with Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison or more like actually covering Queen with real footage?

They are similar in some ways but completely different in others.

Oliver Stone's "The Doors" took it to 11 - focusing on Morrison's excessive lifestyle in a hard R movie that the band hated.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" (which actually has two directors - Bryan Singer didn't work out so someone else finished it) is a fairly sanitized PG-13 movie that has the band's blessing.

If I'm a fan of the artist, I like biopics - whatever the approach. I eventually get sucked in.

I usually stay clear of music biopics, but I have to admit I really liked Get On Up.

Worse than music biopics to me are those ridiculous pieces of pap that my non-musical friends recommend, such as Whiplash.

Here for the gear.

Is it like the Doors movie with Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison or more like actually covering Queen with real footage?

They are similar in some ways but completely different in others.

Oliver Stone's "The Doors" took it to 11 - focusing on Morrison's excessive lifestyle in a hard R movie that the band hated.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" (which actually has two directors - Bryan Singer didn't work out so someone else finished it) is a fairly sanitized PG-13 movie that has the band's blessing.

If I'm a fan of the artist, I like biopics - whatever the approach. I eventually get sucked in.

stone threw in some weird out of body experiences. Stone didn't present it as just a guy that was super high and trippin', each fan can decide how much they believe Jim truly communicated with real native american spirits.

but thats ok. I'm very flexible in these types of "biographics" - movies are art, artists interpret and take license.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

The genre is fraught in so many ways, yet I'm still a sucker for these kinds of movies just because every now and then one of them has a pitch-perfect scene that actually makes you feel like you were there at some key moment in the progress of the artist. "Ray" had many such moments, imo. Another good one is the Hendrix pic All is By My Side, which succeeds somewhat amazingly despite not featuring a single note of his music. What these films have in common is they strive mightily to make you feel like you were in the room at a (in retrospect) historic "ah ha!" moment. When it works, it is cinematic inspiration that can't be spoiled even by the inevitable wanker who chips in a moment later with the proverbial "this is a historic moment!" drivel.

Based on reviews I've read, Bohemian Rapsody might fall flat, but I'll see it anyway just because there's so few other movies worth seeing, imo.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Hopefully it fails at the box office so I can see it on Netflix sooner rather than later.

Dan

Hopefully it fails at the box office so I can see it on Netflix sooner rather than later.

Well... it is actually doing quite well. A tad over $50million opening weekend, which is second highest opening for a music biopic.

Straight Outta Compton is #1 with $60 million. Star is Born opening weekend was $42 million.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Etc., etc.

It's actually not like that - at least the way the film depicts the song "Bohemian Rhapsody." Recording engineers were shaking their heads. The band had to leave their original label in order to get it released as a single. The original music reviews were horrible - and the movie had the courage to show excerpts of them.

The film does follow the old tried and true formula for biopics though:

Artist finds fame.

Artist uses, abuses, and loses.

Artist finds redemption at the end (with a big production number).

I thought the movie was a bit long and uneven, but with enough thrilling moments to make it well worth it.

But I'm a fan.

If you're like me take a pee break before the Live Aid Concert, and definitely see it in a premium theater.

Ignore the naysayers if you're inclined to see this film.

We saw it at the local Imax on Saturday and it was awesome. Rami Malek is nothing short of brilliant and will at least get an Oscar nom out of it.

I was never a huge Queen fan but I totally enjoyed this film. See it in a big theater with a big screen and kick-ass sound system.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Well... it is actually doing quite well. A tad over $50million opening weekend, which is second highest opening for a music biopic.

Straight Outta Compton is #1 with $60 million. Star is Born opening weekend was $42 million.

Straigh Outta Compton was a great movie. I look forward to Bohemian very much. I threatened to take my 13 yo son. He said no, thats ok - to which I then threatened to take him twice. Keep it up, young man ... im here all day :)

Zero interest in SIB.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

If you're like me take a pee break before the Live Aid Concert, and definitely see it in a premium theater.

BTW, there's an app for that...it's called RunPee. (you're welcome)

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Archived