Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Bohemian Rhapsody movie

George88

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason to see it is the Live Aid concert re-creation. It all leads up to that and the scene does indeed rock. I'm half tempted to go see it again in IMAX.

The Live Aid concert part is supposedly very close how it really was. There's there's plenty to appreciate (or scoff at) for folks who've been on stage. (The movie is perhaps the best commercial for Shure mics ever :-)) The rest of the movie is liberal with dramatization, though that's certainly fitting to Freddie Mercury's life.

Overall I'm glad I went rather than spending a few hours practicing, which is more than I can say for most movies...

Oh and for the record, I'm In Love With My Car is an awesome song.

-Z-

I've just emerged from this film. Went with my wife and sons, 18 and 15 y.o.

We all adored it. The Live Aid sequence is breathtaking and we found the movie to be a lot of fun.

Disclaimer: I've been a massive fan of Queen since my teens.

I remember on a Wembley Stadium live, as Freddie was climbing on top of the light tower, the camera caught the hidden keyboard player left of the stage.

(BTW I'm gonna see the movie tonight)

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Seeing it this weekend with my wife, but have already heard about gross liberties with the story itself. Probably to Make a story out of it.

Queen 1, II, and Opera really were as important to me as a young teen and musician as Yes and rush and Floyd and Genesis and Elton and the Meters.

Let's face it: we lived through the glory days of rock and pop.

LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I saw it yesterday

Only objection: i would rather see more of the other three Queen members life details. The film is very Mercury-orientet (which is normal, he was the star...) but i think that it leaves out of the frame some crusial elements of the band.

Worth seeing it though

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

There is a scene in every biopic that always makes me cringe: it's the one where some character tells the audience why the main character matters. Sometimes the one doing the telling is the main character.

"You've done it, Pollack. You've broken it wide open," says his wife, miraculously knowing what others will say when looking back from a point in the future, while he pours paint onto the canvas for the first time.

"Ray Charles, you are mixing gospel with R&B. Why, no one's ever done that before. I bet the religious folks are going to be mad but the people will love it!"

"No, no, I hear all the sounds in my head to an almost annoying extent and that is why I have hired you all to play my next album 'Pet Sounds' exactly like those sounds!"

Etc., etc.

Anyway, I find those scenes really uncomfortable, and near as I could tell from the trailer, the Queen movie is basically one long movie of those kinds of scenes.

Those who saw it, what say you?

The older films like The Glenn Miller Story set the bar high for cheesy scenes. Come to think of it most films of the 50's in every genre were implausible. There was a lot of gushing on the silver screen.

Sometimes just hearing the main character's name spoken to the character is cringe worthy like Dan Ackroyd as Mack Sennet saying, "Chaplin" over and over as the characters are filming a scene in Chaplin (you guessed it). Or worse John Cussack saying "Hitler" to Adolf Hitler as a struggling young artist in Max. Cringe worthy and completely implausible.

I saw it with my 13 old son.

We like it very much.

Nice movie!

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Saw it on Friday night. I enjoyed it. 4 out of 5 stars. It seemed like the antagonist of the movie were Mercury's inner demons, but they hardly even got a speaking role.

As someone who watched the Live Aid concert (and spent all day watching it and recording it onto 8 Betamax video tapes), I never thought the concert would be depicted like that in a motion picture. For some reason I got an emotional reaction out of the "Radio Ga Ga" scene in the movie, I remember the crowd re-enacting the crowd arm movements in the music video during the original concert, thinking it was really cool, but within the context of the story it was the band reaching the audience in this very epic way. And as a Gen-Xer who was in his early teens during 1985, Live Aid was one of those events that helped shaped me as a musician today.

And did anyone else catch the Wurlitzer 200A cameo during one of the studio scenes? :)

Its a movie with a manufactured story line with a fictional crisis. Freddy never left the band, he was the 3rd (and last) of the band to finally put out a solo record (Roger had 2, Brian had Starship, John didn't bother), and there wasn't even a break/hiatus from the band of more than a few weeks as you can see by the proliferation of youtubes out there. And as for the bullshit of "weve been apart so long how can we ever do this" of Live Aid...that's funny too, since they had just finished a world tour like 6 weeks earlier.

But if the story just isn't "compelling" enough, make it up, right?

Frankly, the real drama if there ever was any is in the Munich period. Seeing as that was where they changed their direction and really lost their American audience, which did cause some friction in the band, and was where Freddy really whether through isolation or hedonism started playing Russian Roulette with his sexual health, they could have maybe spent a little more effort on that storyline.

But if you enjoyed Rock Star (Marky Mark Wahlberg) this will hit the mark too.

Saw the movie 3 times on IMAX(it makes a difference). The movie was reveting & stellar performances by the cast. Go see it!!

Hammond XK3-C; Yamaha Tyros 3; Casio PX-5S; Yamaha DX7 IID; Yamaha DGX 520; Yamaha Stagepas 500 & KS50 (x2) Leslie 147(1971) Lots of other stuff

I enjoyed it. Worth the money. They did a great job with the Live Aid scene for sure. And all the actors playing members of the band were convincing. There were some technical errors (um...RE20 is not a side address mic!) and naturally, there were some liberties taken with the story. I get that. This is Hollywood and there is a formula.

Bohemian Rhapsody was a comedy? Rock Star was a comedy (okay, comedy-drama, but still).

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Bohemian Rhapsody was a comedy? Rock Star was a comedy (okay, comedy-drama, but still).

;)

......hmmmm.....I never laughed. Cringed a couple of times but.....must be me...One thing I'll say, Marky Mark got a WHOLE lot better at singing between Boogie Nights and Rock Star (joking, I KNOW that wasn't him).....

I think Rock Star is hilarious in the way it is. Once I realized it, I enjoyed it a lot more.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

;)

......hmmmm.....I never laughed. Cringed a couple of times but.....must be me...One thing I'll say, Marky Mark got a WHOLE lot better at singing between Boogie Nights and Rock Star (joking, I KNOW that wasn't him).....

I'm considering Rock Star now as a comedy. I can almost see it, but then what about Steel Panther?? :D

I'm considering Rock Star now as a comedy. I can almost see it, but then what about Steel Panther?? :D
Death to All But Metal!

I don't know if this link from FB will work but my initial tests show that it does. However, I'm not able to embed the image here. Try it, you'll laugh, you'll cry.

clonk here

I grew during Queens heyday but just listed to them very casually. But who can't be familiar with their epic hit music? I thought they were good but I was a jazz snob at the time..... Anyways, I enjoyed the movie and have been revisiting there music via YouTube. I had no idea Freddie Mercury was a stage name and I was even more surprised that he was Indian.

Ok, ill bite. Why?

Just speaking for me...it definitely did have all the cringy aspects I hate about movie bios, and maybe more, plus to me it just seemed like the direction was, "Here are some funny teeth, now go act gay." I can see fans loving it, but I felt that as a movie in its own right it was incredibly weak.

Props on the concert reproductions, for sure. The rest had me fidgeting the whole time.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I can see fans loving it, but I felt that as a movie in its own right it was incredibly weak.

Props on the concert reproductions, for sure. The rest had me fidgeting the whole time.

I'm with MOI. I'm glad he said it first. I wonder what people will think of this movie 20 years from now.

When I was about 12 and taking clarinet lessons, I saw the Benny Goodman Story. (My dad was a huge Benny Goodman fan.) I thought the movie was great. When I saw the movie again many years later, I realized what a piece of bad movie-making it was.

Movie bios are always tough to make well. Music movie bios are even tougher, although the good side is you've always got the music. From what I've read in several places, they had to revise the events of Freddie Mercury's life so much in order to make a story that worked that the movie is closer to a work of fiction than a bio. Yes, they recreated the Live AID concert near-perfectly. But like MOI fidgeting, up until that point I kept being taken out of the movie and had to keep giving it an E for effort and a participation trophy. The high points throughout were always the music. The rest ... not so much.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Archived