Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The best Owner's manuals

Mogut

I nominate XK1c... what have you guys thought were good ones?

Ive been very impressed with the owners manual for the XK1c. It has alot of extra info beyond just the functions. It references things like popular drawbar settings, explains drawbar colors, and the pitch of each drawbar is illustrated. I actually learned some things I did not know about the hammond (always still alot to go too). Was a pleasant surprise to see a manual like this still being produced in this day and age.

Bravo! hammond/suzuki

XK-1c owner's manual

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always found the Mackie user manuals to be quite entertaining & funny....as super-nerdy as that sounds.

-Mark

Crumar Mojo 61+ 61B - Korg Triton Extreme - Voce V3 (with drawbars) - Kawai MP-9000 - Yamaha M207 upright piano... wishing for a Hammond & Leslie

You're all gonna laugh, but I nominate the manual from the MicroMoog. It explained basic synthesis concepts by comparing the oscillator, filter and amplifier to the mouthpiece, body and bell of a trumpet. A good starting point for learning about signal flow!

If I remember correctly, it was written by Tom Rhea, a member of the Moog team in the early days.

Its been ages, but IIRC, the manual for my first Nord was logical and thorough.

I always download the manual for intended purchases - they can be good GAS dispellers.

Here for the gear.

I purchased a Yammi CS60 @ 1980. It had the best manual I ever owned. Not only helped me understand the instrument, but was a tutorial on synthesis itself that helped me understand later (subtractive) synthes I bought.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Honorable mention to the Mackie mixer manuals, some of the best (and funniest) technical writing anywhere. But I have to give my vote to the Ensoniq EPS manual, which (among other strengths) explained sample manipulation better than anything I've ever seen since.

I fear that no one will ever again properly invest in good user documentation which, due to the increasing complexity of software, has probably become too much of a moving target.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I like the K2000 manual quite a bit. Well-written and easy to understand.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I seem to remember the manual for my MS20 was fine, with lots of examples, but its gone, more then 30 years ago.

Another great manual was The Soundcraft guide to mixing.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I still have the owner's manual for the ARP Odyssey I bought in 1974. It has some good tutorials and patch examples.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

You're all gonna laugh, but I nominate the manual from the MicroMoog. It explained basic synthesis concepts by comparing the oscillator, filter and amplifier to the mouthpiece, body and bell of a trumpet. A good starting point for learning about signal flow!

If I remember correctly, it was written by Tom Rhea, a member of the Moog team in the early days.

No laughing here. That's the same manual as the Multimoog and yes, it's very good.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I dunno the best, but I can tell you the worst: "Sibelius" notation software (at least back in the version 3-5 era when I used it). Commonly made underhanded remarks about compositional workflow that came across as extremely elitist and snooty... and this is coming from someone with composition degree.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I'm enjoying this thread, and will add a +1 for the original Nord Electro manual.

But this thread surely will fuel negative stereotypes about keyboard players. I'm quite certain the drum/bass/guitar forums don't have a thread about favorite manuals!!!

But this thread surely will fuel negative stereotypes about keyboard players. I'm quite certain the drum/bass/guitar forums don't have a thread about favorite manuals!!!

Meh. Keyboard players don't need to discuss favorite drumsticks or guitar strings.

I'll put in a good word for my old Ensoniq ESQ-1 manual. :thu:

I had to mention that every time I see your avatar I'm reminded of this Gary Larson cartoon that was banned from publication as inappropriate. When_Car_Chasers_Dream

Just what IS Snoopy doing to that pumpkin?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Early 1980s Roland products.

just kidding

Those are the best. My JX10 manual was a hoot. Also the JV880 manual.

"TVF- this parameter adjusts the TVF". Cool thanks!

Nowadays, the Chinese to English translations that come with instructions to fish tank supplies I've purchased rivals the old Roland manuals.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Nowadays, the Chinese to English translations that come with instructions to fish tank supplies I've purchased rivals the old Roland manuals.

Some interesting signs out there too...

funny-chinese-sign-translation-fails-10.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived