Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

I felt like listening to Gerry Rafferty. If you like soft rock in the vein of Leo Sayer, or Al Stewart. you will like Gerry Rafferty. His songs Right Down The Line and Baker Street are worth compiling for a greatest hits album from the 70s.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

I felt like listening to Gerry Rafferty. If you like soft rock in the vein of Leo Sayer, or Al Stewart. you will like Gerry Rafferty. His songs Right Down The Line and Baker Street are worth compiling for a greatest hits album from the 70s.

Last year, I was driving through the parking lot of a mega grocery store and there was a guy on one of the green spaces, busking with his saxophone.  His version of Baker Street was spot on.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

On 7/20/2022 at 12:30 PM, Caevan O’Shite said:

I remember that- both the song and its being on the radio, and the 'fad'...

Ray Stevens is a favorite of mine but we can no longer enjoy many of his funny but not PC tunes, like Bridget the Midget or Ahab the Arab.

Such is progress, like Benny Hill, Ray Stevens took a shot at EVERYBODY, including himself. While I consider that to be fair in comedy, I do understand how offensive it is to other people. 

Not sure where that line is drawn, there's tons of sex and violence on TV and in movies. I guess that's pretty OK compared to making jokes... 🤔

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

BTW, Caev, I have to thank you for posting that clip as well!  I really didn’t know much about Brand X before your post.  I’d heard OF them, but not much of their stuff, and definitely not this album.  So curiosity got to me and I looked them up…and found a list of band members that surprised me, including Bill Bruford and Phil Collins.

The album was enough to pique my interest, but my research has increased it.  So again, THANKS!

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

5 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

BTW, Caev, I have to thank you for posting that clip as well!  I really didn’t know much about Brand X before your post.  I’d heard OF them, but not much of their stuff, and definitely not this album.  So curiosity got to me and I looked them up…and found a list of band members that surprised me, including Bill Bruford and Phil Collins.

The album was enough to pique my interest, but my research has increased it.  So again, THANKS!

You're very welcome, my friend!

Here's a taste of  what they sounded like the time that I caught them as a trio back in '92 or '93:

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

13 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

The premiere of the latest episode of Hed Kandi's weekly show; about 28 minutes in. You like house music, you're gonna love this. Indispensable house/dance source for almost 25 years now.

I like some of that.

• Like 1

I don’t generally listen to Demi Lovato, but this new song she just put out is the closest Demi has come to sounding like Cheap Trick. I really like this pop rock sound Demi has adopted.

Also helps that she has Nita Strauss on lead guitar.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJ0OCITw6g

Rainbow Rising is a fantastic album. Great vocals from Dio, and great Strat playing from Blackmore! I can't say anything else!

(Looking at my avatar you can now tell how big of a Blackmore fan I am.)

Loved that album 'back in the day'! In particular, I really liked "Stargazer", both the Rainbow Rising album-version, and the live version from Rainbow's appearance at the first 'Monsters of Rock' concert at Castle Donington, England, in 1980, with Graham Bonnet at the mic.

Blackmore's definitely one of the iconic, innovative greats with a sound and style all his own (well, his and that little Aiwa tape-deck he used as a preamp ;)).

I thing that Yngwie Malmsteen was inspired more than he admits by Ritchie Blackmore, and also by Michael Schenker.

Speakin' o' which... I bet you like this album:

Lonesome Crow  1972

39e4aZ3.jpg

• Love 1

Rainbow was an amazing band, start to finish.

I think it’s an interesting dichotomy between two iconic but notoriously egocentric guitarists (Blackmore & Malmsteen) that Ritchie always found great vocalists (and other musicians) to work with while YJM has occasionally allowed his attitude to interfere with his band makeup, and thus, his records.  I can’t think of a Rainbow album that didn’t deliver on the vox.

In contrast, YJM’s last album had Yngwie doing double duty as guitarist and vocalist. The results were (IMHO) very much like a parody version of his better stuff.  I didn’t hear anything I could imagine being a favorite “shower song” in the future, near or far.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Rainbow was an amazing band, start to finish.

I think it’s an interesting dichotomy between two iconic but notoriously egocentric guitarists (Blackmore & Malmsteen) that Ritchie always found great vocalists (and other musicians) to work with while YJM has occasionally allowed his attitude to interfere with his band makeup, and thus, his records.  I can’t think of a Rainbow album that didn’t deliver on the vox.

In contrast, YJM’s last album had Yngwie doing double duty as guitarist and vocalist. The results were (IMHO) very much like a parody version of his better stuff.  I didn’t hear anything I could imagine being a favorite “shower song” in the future, near or far.

I have to wonder if any singer worth their mic will have anything to do with Malmsteen at this point, he's been such an assh0l3 to so many singers and other band-members over the years; and if that's the reason that he's attempting to do the vocals on that album. Or, if he's trying to save some money, probably not raking in what he once was. Probably both.

I bought one Yngwie album long ago. I liked one guitar solo on one song- but not the song itself, nor any of the others. I was not compelled to buy another of his releases or, in later years, even check any out for free via YouTube, Pandora, or Spotify.

In contrast, just this morning and afternoon I was enjoying listening to Deep Purple and Rainbow...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I have to wonder if any singer worth their mic will have anything to do with Malmsteen at this point, he's been such an assh0l3 to so many singers and other band-members over the years; and if that's the reason that he's attempting to do the vocals on that album. Or, if he's trying to save some money, probably not raking in what he once was. Probably both.

I bought one Yngwie album long ago. I liked one guitar solo on one song- but not the song itself, nor any of the others. I was not compelled to buy another of his releases or, in later years, even check any out for free via YouTube, Pandora, or Spotify.

In contrast, just this morning and afternoon I was enjoying listening to Deep Purple and Rainbow...

Not gonna lie, I have lots of YJM’s CDs, and a couple songs of his ARE on my “shower songs” list.

But I have a bigger percentage of Blackmore’s career in the CD collection, including several of his Blackmore’s Night albums.  That’s his “bardcore” band with his wife, Candace Night.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

watch?v=vj_rvLVpqg8

I'm not sure about anybody, but not only was Bon Scott a great vocalist for ACDC, his bagpipes solo on It's A Long Way To The Top is hot enough to start a fire in the Pacific Ocean.

It certainly fits! And stands out from the crowd. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a sign that God exists and loves AC/DC that TWO singers so very perfect for them, Bon Scott and Brian Johnson, came along timely in one lifetime.

Not gonna lie, I have lots of YJM’s CDs, and a couple songs of his ARE on my “shower songs” list.

Please, sincerely, throw me a few. I'll give 'em a fair shale. The only album of his that I bought and tried on for size was Trilogy, back when it was a brand-spankin' new album with a ridiculously corny album-cover and promotional art...

Admittedly, his being such a completely repugnant @$$h0l3 has also since made me pretty biased. Any @$$hat that would make statements in an interview that they knew would be published dismissing Steve Vai and saying that his tone was "muddy" and that Steve Morse should stop playing guitar and instead "should play the fucking banjo"... does not deserve any attention or acknowledgement at all. (He showed his ass so badly, behaving like a petulant, blame-throwing five year old brat at a live gig, that a good friend of mine that was an idolizing YJM fan walked out.) He needs to simply phuck0ff, shove his Rolexes and not be heard from.

But I have a bigger percentage of Blackmore’s career in the CD collection, including several of his Blackmore’s Night albums.  That’s his “bardcore” band with his wife, Candace Night.

Nice!

• Like 1

Yngwie’s ego hasn’t really done him any favors, no question.  I’ll say this, though- in my experience, there’s a LOT of performers who are like him…or worse.  It’s just that his character flaws actually get released to the press.  (Most if the others have enough sense to HIDE their darker selves.)

At any rate, here’s a couple of my favorite YJM “shower songs”, from (as I recall) Rising Force and Marching Out, his 1st & 3rd solo albums.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mTy6BTQWcwY

• Like 2