Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

I’m not an opera fan, but my Mom’s a music teacher AND an opera buff.  Luciano was one of her faves.  But we both laughed off the performance I mentioned above.  

OTOH, there’s a few singers in metal with operatic training who make it work- Rob Halford probably being the most famous example.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

On 6/8/2022 at 2:09 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

I’m not an opera fan, but my Mom’s a music teacher AND an opera buff.  Luciano was one of her faves.  But we both laughed off the performance I mentioned above.  

OTOH, there’s a few singers in metal with operatic training who make it work- Rob Halford probably being the most famous example.

Most metal rhythmically has more in common with Marches than blues-derived swing... I used to joke that I didn't like much metal because I have no German heritage. I got corrected by someone just yesterday for casually referring to AC/DC and Van Halen as "metal bands I liked," with "neither of those bands are metal, dude... they're like hard rock, maybe... or pop rock." AC/DC is The Stones and Free on overdrive, so I kind of see distinguishing them from "metal," but I'd think Van Halen (DLR-era) certainly qualified... but I think they were too happy and popular with mainstream top 40 people to be cool to a certain younger group of metalheads... someone posted a video of Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath at the L.A. Forum just as their first record was released... a notorious show/tour because it led to BS firing Ozzy and rethinking their sound at the time... a young David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen were mind-blowing in their energy and stage presence, Eddie of course was mind-blowing in his playing... and looking at a bit of footage of BS from the same show after that... it was like a bit of a dated lumbering dinosaur with an out of it singer who just kind of stood there and I'm sure the band was a bit shellshocked at what they had to follow. But the comments to that post were strangely heavy on "Van Halen sucks... they play disco... they're spandex weenies... Sabbath is legend!!!" I don't get that, but I don't share the frame/worldview of those commenters, I guess... and BS (with Ozzy) is a very loud blues band at its core.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, p90jr said:

Most metal rhythmically has more in common with Marches than blues-derived swing... I used to joke that I didn't like much metal because I have no German heritage. I got corrected by someone just yesterday for casually referring to AC/DC and Van Halen as "metal bands I liked," with "neither of those bands are metal, dude... they're like hard rock, maybe... or pop rock." AC/DC is The Stones and Free on overdrive, so I kind of see distinguishing them from "metal," but I'd think Van Halen (DLR-era) certainly qualified... but I think they were too happy and popular with mainstream top 40 people to be cool to a certain younger group of metalheads... someone posted a video of Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath at the L.A. Forum just as their first record was released... a notorious show/tour because it led to BS firing Ozzy and rethinking their sound at the time... a young David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen were mind-blowing in their energy and stage presence, Eddie of course was mind-blowing in his playing... and looking at a bit of footage of BS from the same show after that... it was like a bit of a dated lumbering dinosaur with an out of it singer who just kind of stood there and I'm sure the band was a bit shellshocked at what they had to follow. But the comments to that post were strangely heavy on "Van Halen sucks... they play disco... they're spandex weenies... Sabbath is legend!!!" I don't get that, but I don't share the frame/worldview of those commenters, I guess... and BS (with Ozzy) is a very loud blues band at its core.

Ronnie James Dio was probably the pinnacle of metal singers, I saw him on one of his Dio tours. But you are correct, metal in general does not embrace the American Backbeat or "Fatback" style of timing, they are all about being ON the one. I can and will listen to just about everything for a bit but my heart and soul lie in the funky groove of American musics, "ON the ONE" feels unnatural to me. 

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

30 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Ronnie James Dio was probably the pinnacle of metal singers, I saw him on one of his Dio tours. But you are correct, metal in general does not embrace the American Backbeat or "Fatback" style of timing, they are all about being ON the one. I can and will listen to just about everything for a bit but my heart and soul lie in the funky groove of American musics, "ON the ONE" feels unnatural to me. 

Have you ever heard this stuff? 

It amazes me how much things changed between 1961 and 1971, and 1981... especially now that it generally does not seem like much has really changed musically since 1991, and certainly not since 2001... I annoy some younger friends/collaborators by pulling out records from over the past 40 years that sound like whatever new thing they're hyped up on... (which I will address in my new post, regarding something I am listening to a lot at the moment)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, p90jr said:

Have you ever heard this stuff? 

It amazes me how much things changed between 1961 and 1971, and 1981... especially now that it generally does not seem like much has really changed musically since 1991, and certainly not since 2001... I annoy some younger friends/collaborators by pulling out records from over the past 40 years that sound like whatever new thing they're hyped up on... (which I will address in my new post, regarding something I am listening to a lot at the moment)

Dude got pipes, song is cheesy cheese but kind of cool in it's own way. Definitely has that American behind-the one beat going on. 

No, I had no idea! Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

Dude got pipes, song is cheesy cheese but kind of cool in it's own way. Definitely has that American behind-the one beat going on. 

No, I had no idea! Thanks for sharing. 

Dio's replacement in Rainbow, Graham Bonnet, had been a soul pop singer and a protegé of Barry Gibb and The Bee Gees... one day his manager called and said "The guitarist Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple wants to work with you in his band Rainbow..." and Bonnet said "ME!?! But I'm not a hard rock singer..." "He says you're his favorite vocalist and he'd like to meet you and discuss working together!" I think he quickly got kicked out of the band for refusing to grow his hair long and dress "cool" or something... though ironically fashion swung more in his direction post-punk new wave soon after.

But as Tony Iommi and Ritchie Blackmore have both said in interviews, they and their contemporaries did not grow up listening to heavy metal or even hard rock because it didn't exist... they stumbled into creating it out of bits of the stuff they grew up on, and they don't listen to it now because it's weird hearing your own work parroted back at you...

At this point we get musicians who have only ever liked or listened to one narrow sub-genre of music, which us very weird to me. I don't like much metal, but around age 12 I delved into it very hard, along with punk and new wave and disco and funk and rockabilly and ska and old country and country rock the jazz and blues records around the house... I played in a friend's hardcore punk/metal thrash band for a bit because he was a cool guy and fun to play with and be around. I still check out anything that pops up, and of course I respect talent.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, p90jr said:

Dio's replacement in Rainbow, Graham Bonnet, had been a soul pop singer and a protegé of Barry Gibb and The Bee Gees... one day his manager called and said "The guitarist Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple wants to work with you in his band Rainbow..." and Bonnet said "ME!?! But I'm not a hard rock singer..." "He says you're his favorite vocalist and he'd like to meet you and discuss working together!" I think he quickly got kicked out of the band for refusing to grow his hair long and dress "cool" or something... though ironically fashion swung more in his direction post-punk new wave soon after.

But as Tony Iommi and Ritchie Blackmore have both said in interviews, they and their contemporaries did not grow up listening to heavy metal or even hard rock because it didn't exist... they stumbled into creating it out of bits of the stuff they grew up on, and they don't listen to it now because it's weird hearing your own work parroted back at you...

At this point we get musicians who have only ever liked or listened to one narrow sub-genre of music, which us very weird to me. I don't like much metal, but around age 12 I delved into it very hard, along with punk and new wave and disco and funk and rockabilly and ska and old country and country rock the jazz and blues records around the house... I played in a friend's hardcore punk/metal thrash band for a bit because he was a cool guy and fun to play with and be around. I still check out anything that pops up, and of course I respect talent.

Over the 45+ years I've been playing in clubs, I've been in all sorts of bands and played a variety of styles from all original progressive new wave, to punk parody, to top 40 country, blues, rock, folk, Carribean, reggae, funk-metal (a contradiction but we did it anyway), Motown etc. Acoustic, electric (mostly) and bass plus harmony and lead vocals. 

I'm not well versed in playing Jazz, I can play "jazzy" for a tune or two and get away with it. That said, thanks to my older brother I had a steady diet of Miles, Monk, Mingus, Coltrane etc. during my teen years, that and a variety of musics from around the world - Middle Eastern, Asian, South American, African etc. 

If music is good, it's good. I don't care what the genre is, even some of the artists that I don't really like have a gem in their sets (or I am just wrong enough in the head to dig it) - Katy Perry Hot and Cold comes to mind. Cracks me up but I'm not a Katy Perry fan otherwise. 

• Like 2

and while we're at musical previous lives...

Bon Scott as a 1960s bubblegum pop idol in Australia's version of the Bay City Rollers

(backup vocals)

and a few years later on a different trip...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, p90jr said:

and while we're at musical previous lives...

Bon Scott as a 1960s bubblegum pop idol in Australia's version of the Bay City Rollers

(backup vocals)

and a few years later on a different trip...

So Much Cheese!!!! lol

Gotta give them credit for the cover of the Shape I'm In. Pretty tough to tackle a Garth Hudson keyboard solo though, yikes!!! 😇

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IMMusicRulz said:

J. Geils live at Winterland, 1977.

I just watched this a couple of days ago... I have an English bandmate who plays harmonica, too, and he'd never heard of Magic Dick, so I sent him Whammer Jammer and these old shows to check out

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 1:59 AM, Caevan O’Shite said:

got an email about this one (Mule fan club) and thought it was fantastic.  Going to see them in August, havent seen them since December 2019, just before the pandemic.

Very talented quartet, were I a betting man I would put them up man for man as talented as any quartet currently gigging.

(That doesn't mean everyone will like them, I am strictly speaking from a talent perspective.)

• Like 2
:nopity:

My personal interaction with music is that almost any band that can make a blip on the cultural radar has done at least one song I genuinely like/don’t actually hate.  I don’t care for Britney Spears, but I loved “Toxic”.  I’m not a fan of Meshuggah, but I frequently track down “Bleed” on YouTube.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

12 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

My personal interaction with music is that almost any band that can make a blip on the cultural radar has done at least one song I genuinely like/don’t actually hate.  I don’t care for Britney Spears, but I loved “Toxic”.  I’m not a fan of Meshuggah, but I frequently track down “Bleed” on YouTube.

Britney is not writing her own material... it is well-written... (watch this gem... and how it reveals at the end that it's a chord sequence based on ancient madrigals)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh, I know Britney isn’t one of those who writes any meaningful percentage of their own songs.  Nothing new about that.  We could probably do a nifty thread about songwriter/musicians who have done great work for other artists as well as their own recordings: Bob Dylan, Prince, Niles Rodgers, Lady Gaga, Pharrell, Babyface and Michael Bolton spring immediately to mind.

That said, I wish Mr. Thompson had done it as a straight up madrigal cover.  It would have fit in nicely with all that bardcore stuff on the Internet.

Point of Information: Bardcore is a “genre” of covering music in folk/archaic musical styles far divorced from their original forms.  In some cases, the lyrics are even done in the language appropriate for the older genre of the cover.  Ritchie Blackmore’s band with Candace Night- Blackmore’s Night, surprisingly- sometimes covers his Deep Purple and Rainbow songs (and others) as folk tunes with minimal electric instrumentation, so (sorta) qualifies:

And then there’s stuff like this:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, p90jr said:

Britney is not writing her own material... it is well-written... (watch this gem... and how it reveals at the end that it's a chord sequence based on ancient madrigals)

Elvis Presley didn't write his own material either. Neither did most of the Motown acts.  If a recording of a song is good, it's good. 

• Like 3

watch?v=O6vN9nadqtQ

In a Emerson Lake and Palmer mood and thought I'd post this clip from their legendary California Jam concert in 74. I'm not sure whose having more fun, Keith Emerson playing that giant wall of Moogs or Greg Lake just playing that punchy, black Gibson Ripper!

• Love 1

:cool:  So goooooood...

"Danny (along with Billy Windsor, John Previti, and Dave Elliott) appeared briefly on an episode of the daytime soap opera "Guiding Light". Here's an outtake of footage that was not used."

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

1 hour ago, IMMusicRulz said:

I was afraid I would get blacklisted for liking Bay City Rollers, but this song is so happy it's hard not to live.

Haahh! Naaa, we're not like that here.

Years ago, friends covered that song with their band, a little bit rocked-up. But just a little.

(I imagine you meant to say, 'hard not to love'. But, then again, there is something to be said for the BCR's influence, like that of ABBA and the tidal pull of the Moon, on Goth and Vampire undead lifestyles... ;))

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

I was afraid I would get blacklisted for liking Bay City Rollers, but this song is so happy it's hard not to live.

Well, I like how everybody has a microphone except the lead singer, that's rad. 

When I take into account that I went to the Tower Records in Fresno CA for their going out of business sale and bought ABBA's Greatetst Hits Volumes 1 and 2, it's hard to point fingers!!!! 😇

We like whart we like, this cannot be explained...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

We like whart we like, this cannot be explained...

Sure it can! Well, at least by degrees- good music is good music, period, which transcends the borders of genres, social structures, and such things 'n stuff.

Good melody, harmonic structure, rhythmic drive that pulls one in and literally moves a body- these things grab the ear, the mind, the heart, the ass, and the wallet.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Sure it can! Well, at least by degrees- good music is good music, period, which transcends the borders of genres, social structures, and such things 'n stuff.

Good melody, harmonic structure, rhythmic drive that pulls one in and literally moves a body- these things grab the ear, the mind, the heart, the ass, and the wallet.

So, what about Lime In The Coconut by Harry Nillson then? 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

So, what about Lime In The Coconut by Harry Nillson then? 🤣

It's catchy, it's silly, it's 'lite', it's no progressive masterpiece but it's good songwriting. Simple can be good.

What about "Give Me Back My Wig" by Hound Dog Taylor? Gad I love that song!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

That's some great stuff right there. 

And I'll tell ya, if you go to an open mic and there's enough people there, go to everybody you don't know and tell them "Join me on Lime In The Coconut, it's C7 all the way through."

Then wave them up there on your turn, embarass them if you must to get them on stage. It's impossible to play it incorrectly and everybody will laugh when you do mess it up completely. 

But Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band is the shite IMHO.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1