Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

4 hours ago, p90jr said:

I'm a fan of those records and have read a lot about them and the making of them... apparently as they could just do what they wanted more than direction from their label(s) they did... it all flowed at the time, to me... alongside The The and World Party and Depeche Mode, as the 80s went on a lot of electronic-based bands started incorporating guitars and acoustic piano as they grew out of synths, and dug back into the stuff they were into growing up before getting caught up in new wave.

If you look at the 1st and 3rd album, there’s a massive stylistic change.  Unusually large.  Their past did not intuitively imply their future.

When I think of musicians/bands that have done likewise, it’s not a big list.  David Bowie is one.  Radiohead is another.  The Sparks REALLY morphed over time.  Ditto Tangerine Dream. 

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

17 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

If you look at the 1st and 3rd album, there’s a massive stylistic change.  Unusually large.  Their past did not intuitively imply their future.

When I think of musicians/bands that have done likewise, it’s not a big list.  David Bowie is one.  Radiohead is another.  The Sparks REALLY morphed over time.  Ditto Tangerine Dream. 

Compare Love Me Do to some of the stuff on the White Album or Abbey Road and the Beatles most definately changed directions often. 

Totally agree with David Bowie, he had many different styles. I'm unfamilar with the other artists you mention. 

Joni Mitchell was quite the chameleon as well, she is one of the best in my opinion.

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

When I think of musicians/bands that have done likewise [a massive stylistic change], it’s not a big list.  David Bowie is one.

Truly. Though David Bowie always managed to sound intrinsically like David Bowie, no matter what he did or how he did it or whom he did it with. A chameleon morphs through colors adaptively, but it always remains a chameleon. Such was Mr. Bowie.

(Haahh! Speakin' o' chameleons, Kuru, I had typed this before you'd posted the above, but ya beat me ta tha post... ! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

watch?v=PPkznRvpHwg

I have been an avid jazz listener for years, but Chick Corea was the first jazz artist who really caught my attention. I think Light As A Feather, The Leprechaun and The Mad Hatter are some of the finest albums the guy ever put out. I was saddened when Chick passed--I wouldn't have a record collection if it wasn't for him!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Compare Love Me Do to some of the stuff on the White Album or Abbey Road and the Beatles most definately changed directions often. 

Totally agree with David Bowie, he had many different styles. I'm unfamilar with the other artists you mention. 

Joni Mitchell was quite the chameleon as well, she is one of the best in my opinion.

The Beatles definitely belong in that discussion!

Tangerine Dream started as synth-heavy psychedelic rock and evolved into atmospheric electronic soundscapes.  Most people would know them (and the band members’ solo work) from their soundtracks to Legend, Risky Business, Babylon 5 and so forth.

Compare these tracks:

To these:

The song that broke Radiohead worldwide:

vs a few years later:

In 1974, Sparks had songs that had some journalists calling them America’s answer to Queen:

By the late 70s and throughout most of the 80s, they were clearly some flavor of New Wave and frequently aired on MTV:

• Like 4

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

3 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

The Beatles definitely belong in that discussion!

Tangerine Dream started as synth-heavy psychedelic rock and evolved into atmospheric electronic soundscapes.  Most people would know them (and the band members’ solo work) from their soundtracks to Legend, Risky Business, Babylon 5 and so forth.

Compare these tracks:

To these:

The song that broke Radiohead worldwide:

vs a few years later:

In 1974, Sparks had songs that had some journalists calling them America’s answer to Queen:

By the late 70s and throughout most of the 80s, they were clearly some flavor of New Wave and frequently aired on MTV:

Early Joni Mitchell

Later middle period. That's Jaco on bass. There is a YouTube video of one of her concerts with Jaco on bass, Pat Metheny on guitar and an all star jazz/pop band. 

One thing she doesn't get much credit for is stacking vocals, pretty sure she was a huge influence on Queen, just to name one. They did their own thing with the concept, good luck singing like Joni Mitchell (or Freddie Mercury for that matter). 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

watch?v=zqgslos32mk

As much as I disliked Peter Frampton (due to years of Show Me The Way being played to death on my local classic rock radio station), the music he created with Steve Marriott in Humble Pie was very good.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that!  

I’ve known that song for years…but never knew who did it!  I’d hear it almost exclusively on late night radio- usually while driving on the interstate.  But either the DJ wouldn’t say what was playing, or I’d lose the station before the song ended.

This may be the first time I’ve heard the whole song start to finish in a decade or more.  And possibly the first time I’ve heard it since then…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

There’s nothing wrong with social commentary on naked people running around. Which is why Ray Stevens tries to throw in a little fun.

I remember that- both the song and its being on the radio, and the 'fad'...

• Like 2

On 7/17/2022 at 3:51 PM, Caevan O’Shite said:

I saw him in Detroit 2 nights later. One of the most bizarre arena shows I've ever seen. Fell in love with Toni Halliwell that night and I've been a fan ever since. I've heard that audiences in many cities didn't appreciate the Honeydrippers part of the show, but we went crazy for it here.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, hurricane hugo said:

I've heard that audiences in many cities didn't appreciate the Honeydrippers part of the show, but we went crazy for it here.

There are stupid base people with no class, taste, or intelligence all over the place. All too evident anymore. Fuck 'em.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2022 at 4:11 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

Thank you for posting that!  

I’ve known that song for years…but never knew who did it!  I’d hear it almost exclusively on late night radio- usually while driving on the interstate.  But either the DJ wouldn’t say what was playing, or I’d lose the station before the song ended.

This may be the first time I’ve heard the whole song start to finish in a decade or more.  And possibly the first time I’ve heard it since then…

It's a somewhat obscure song; I don't believe that it was ever on any of the band's albums (I could be wrong); it appears on a compilation, 'The stories of h.p. Lovecraft  A SYNPHONIC COLLECTION' (as seen in that YouTube 'video'), and perhaps nowhere else, other than a couple of YouTube entries (this, and another that's defectively low in volume), and possible availability via the likes of Spotify. Google Home was where I first heard the song from- relatively not that long ago!- among results for random requests I tossed her way (we refer to it as "Ms. Google" here); but Google Home no longer plays it...

"Cool Air" is probably the best tune on the album, in my opinion. Frankly, a number of the other contributions by various different artists are not only bland, the musically evoke a pleasant walk in a park on a sunny day- far, far removed from what the album's titular theme would seem to require...  I mean, seriously, it's called 'The stories of h.p. Lovecraft'; with very, very few exceptions that's anything but cheery nice fluff to draw inspiration from and musically illustrate, am I wrong?!

Search the album up, give it a listen, and tell me what the Zoogs inform you, Randolph Carter! ;) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Ricky Cool, an original  Honeydripper, and The Icebergs. I think Ricky Cool lives up to his name.

Wow! That IS cool! Thanks! And what a tight band... ! How had I never heard of these guys before?!

4 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Even if you don’t like King Crimson, you have to love Larks Tongues In Aspic. It’s almost as if Robert Fripp’s guitar is playing tag with the drums of Bill Bruford and the bass of John Wetton.

Waddaya mean, "Even if you don’t like King Crimson"... ?!  ;)

And Bill Bruford is one of my very, very favorite drummers- one of my favorite musicians all-around.

Dig this:

• Like 4

Wishbone Ash has a twin guitar job, and Ted Turner and Andy Powell were capable of handling it. A profound influence on Thin Lizzie, the original studio versions of Blowin Free and The King Will Come are presented, as is the full Rockpalast concert in 1976, featuring Ted’s skilled replacement, Laurie Wisefield.

Throw in the rhythm section of bassist Martin Turner and drummer Steve Upton and you have the fucking amazing Wishbone Ash!

• Like 1

watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

John Popper is a very skilled harmonica player and vocalist, and probably the only human touch in Blues Traveler amid the cold precision of guitarist Chan Kinchla and the rhythm section of bassist Bobby Sheehan and drummer Brendan Hill in full improvisational flight.

The music that Blues Traveler creates are shiny blues rock simulations of the seventies and eighties, but you would be better off putting on an old Allman Brothers or J. Geils Band record.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

watch?v=ousaiByU1ko

John Popper is a very skilled harmonica player and vocalist, and probably the only human touch in Blues Traveler amid the cold precision of guitarist Chan Kinchla and the rhythm section of bassist Bobby Sheehan and drummer Brendan Hill in full improvisational flight.

The music that Blues Traveler creates are shiny blues rock simulations of the seventies and eighties, but you would be better off putting on an old Allman Brothers or J. Geils Band record.

While I haven't exactly followed Blues Traveler, and I definitely love and think that it's well worthwhile to listen to some Allman Bro's of ANY vintage, Gov't Mule, Derek Trucks Band, Tedeschi Trucks Band- I don't know as I'd say that Chan Kinchla, Bobby Sheehan and Brendan Hill were cold or infer that they were inhuman... that's a bit of a harsh criticism! A tight band is a tight band, and they let John Popper's singing and harmonica playing be the predominant sound and vibe on top, identifying the band's signature sound.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 9:31 AM, IMMusicRulz said:

Wishbone Ash has a twin guitar job, and Ted Turner and Andy Powell were capable of handling it. A profound influence on Thin Lizzie, the original studio versions of Blowin Free and The King Will Come are presented, as is the full Rockpalast concert in 1976, featuring Ted’s skilled replacement, Laurie Wisefield.

Throw in the rhythm section of bassist Martin Turner and drummer Steve Upton and you have the fucking amazing Wishbone Ash!

Good stuff! I particularly love the bassist's tone- often growling yet actually clean, though it almost sounds overdriven. Cool.

• Like 2

watch?v=iDhrJQqfKUY

The Out Of The Blue Iineup of Electric Light Orchestra was not only the most commercially successful lineup, it's also the one most ELO fans associate the band with.

The musicianship between Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy, Bev Bevan and Kelly Groucutt was TIGHT!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Damn. I caught Brand X thirty years ago when they toured- as a trio- in support of (in the wake of?!) this album; FANFREEKIN'TASTIC performance... !

• Like 2