Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Peter Green, the master, and this is one of the all time masterpieces of controlled feedback. This whole album was in heavy rotation during my high school days in the 60s. I recently heard this track on the shopping muzak in a Pier One store & I just had to stop & stand still right where I was in the aisle & take it all in. This is one of those music experiences where it gets in your DNA, 50 years go by without hearing the track, then you hear again & it was like you just heard it yesterday, & you can recall every single bend & nuance. That's what music does to us. Thank you for that Caevan.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
Scott Fraser

Well then... and in 1966! "Polydor did not release the album in the United States considering it "too radical and non-commercial"... "

Fuzz bass, fuzz guitar, feedback, overdriven organ, and electric banjo...

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

1 hour ago, IMMusicRulz said:

watch?v=BYyRLTveFJQ

I like the Black Crowes, but Chris Robinson's flat out imitations of Ronnie Van Zant can quickly become annoying. Well, to me at least. At least Rich Robinson is a good guitarist.

I don't care for his often flat, meandering spray-and-pray that the right pitch is hit SOMEWHERE in there along the way approach... He needs vocal lessons. Judging by live recordings of each of them, B. B. King- who always sounded spot on- could have taught him a lot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I don't care for his often flat, meandering spray-and-pray that the right pitch is hit SOMEWHERE in there along the way approach... He needs vocal lessons. Judging by live recordings of each of them, B. B. King- who always sounded spot on- could have taught him a lot.

I don’t mind him being off now and then so much when he’s singing Black Crowes’ original stuff, but that album of Led Zep songs they did with Jimmy Page hurt me.

For most of that recording, he does a pretty good job, and the Crowes do a solid job of playing those songs.  But on one song in particular, Chris simply can’t hit the high notes.  I mean, he’s trying, but it’s clearly not within his range.  And to me, that’s unforgivable.

Its so much worse for me, not because of my love for the song, but rather because of the knowledge that it absolutely didn’t have to be that way.  Jimmy Page is a great guitarist, and before his storied career in a couple of famous bands, he was a session guitarist.  You can’t tell me he couldn’t have transcribed his own music to a pitch Chris Robinson could at least have a CHANCE of hitting the highs.  And if that wasn’t in his current bag of tricks, why the hell didn’t they HIRE someone?

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

10 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

that album of Led Zep songs they did with Jimmy Page hurt me.

You and me, both!

He could have simply sang some lines differently, avoiding the strained and bruised, wilted notes, as well.

His ego and rude arrogance are not backed up by his being able to deliver.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

You and me, both!

He could have simply sang some lines differently, avoiding the strained and bruised, wilted notes, as well.

His ego and rude arrogance are not backed up by his being able to deliver.

Yeah…I’m still not letting Page off the hook, though.  He was completely complicit.  If he’d have said a peep, those guys would have fallen in line to appease The Legendary Jimmy.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

5 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Norah Jones from Austin City Limits 

https://youtu.be/qjUkWFE3njs

So cool, so retro viby; classy ensemble work, exquisite vocal harmonies, and I LOVE the squawking muted trombone!

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 5:39 AM, Caevan O’Shite said:

Well then... and in 1966! "Polydor did not release the album in the United States considering it "too radical and non-commercial"... "

Fuzz bass, fuzz guitar, feedback, overdriven organ, and electric banjo...

I bet you’d find that album in the collections of the first generation of punk musicians.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hurricane hugo said:

Someone on Twitter is asking what's the most '80s song ever. I say it's this:

Good song from a good band…but most 80s ever?  I probably would have chosen their hit  “Wang Chung Tonight” over that one.

But honestly, there’s so many great options, from bands that were huge and others that were 1-hit wonders.  I don’t know that I could choose “the best.”

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Scott Fraser said:

Holy Shite! This guy is my new favorite guitarist. Kind of like Vince Gill meets Danny Gatton. Check this: 

I passed that along to Mr. Schurse...

• Like 1

Don’t remember if I’ve posted this before, but this band is back in my focus.  They’ve been rocking since the late 80s, but I only discovered them a few years ago.  

Unfotunately, Japanese rock & metal bands rarely tour in Texas, so I’ll probably never see them or any of the others I’d love to see live.

• Like 1
  • Love 1