Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

On 1/1/2023 at 9:05 AM, IMMusicRulz said:

Jackson Browne tends to be quite underrated. And that's a shame, because he actually wrote a great song in The Crow On The Cradle. I also love Graham Nash's harmony vocal on this song.

It's a beautiful song but Jackson Browne didn't write it. Sydney Bertram Carter wrote it. 

Jackson Browne has written some great songs though, just not this one. 

As a side note, I've seen David Lindley live twice and he can throw down a great show as a solo act, extraordinary. Not sure if he's still touring but see him if you can!

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

10 hours ago, p90jr said:

I think Brother Gatemouth was taunting us with his intro to this one. His fingerpicking technique blows my mind because... how is he doing it?

Looks like all upstrokes with his index finger. How anybody can play like that is beyond me. But if you do something long enough, you get great at it. Like Jeff Healey playing overhand style. And what a cool example of how wonderful Firebird mini-humbuckers sound.

• Like 5
Scott Fraser

P90, I can't say how Clarence is doing it, but I can say I'm amazed by his finger picking technique(s)...I suspect it is more than just finger picking and that he is tapping with the fretting hand at the same time he's finger picking with the picking hand???  Very cool jazz and Clarence is definitely one of the best! 😎

• Like 4
Take care, Larryz

14 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

Here's that new Peter Gabriel song:

At times, it almost sounded like Gabriel was channeling Roger Waters before returning to his classic self.

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

10 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Two tracks from an album I really love. Western Wall: The Tucson Tracks by Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris. My goal to learn the entire album.

I'm lovin' the cool overdriven, fuzzed, and volume-swelled guitar fills 'n bits in "Loving the Highway Man"!

Likewise the great guitar parts throughout "Raise the Dead"; great stuff!

Great songwriting all-around in both songs, as well!

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

On 1/5/2023 at 10:42 PM, p90jr said:

I think Brother Gatemouth was taunting us with his intro to this one. His fingerpicking technique blows my mind because... how is he doing it?

It looks to me like he's using primarily the "bird" finger on his right hand to pick. He's got some nice upstroke licks. 

Watch his left hand, he's got his first finger on or behind the capo for a large part of his solo work, he's using the second and third fingers to scoot around on the fretboard. 

That is also unusual and unique. Great player, I've been a fan for decades. 

Here's another one who plays the way they play and no other way. I can't imagine doing this either, his fretting with his left thumb is amazing.

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.