Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Cripes!  The only time I saw Canned Heat was in near mid '69  on a bill with Bubble Puppy and Spirit.  Henry Vestine was still with them and he had a huge wall of Marshall cabs that must've been 10 feet tall. Talk about loud. Was a shock to see them with so little gear in that clip.

Whitefang

• Like 2
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

No joke: Maynard Ferguson was my first concert as an adult- either fall of 1986 or spring of 1987.  (It may have also been a date, but I was unclear on that, so the end of the evening was simply the end of the evening.)

And by weird coincidence, I literally found the LinkedIn profile for that woman yesterday.  (FWIW, still lookin’ good!)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

2 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

1 hour ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

No joke: Maynard Ferguson was my first concert as an adult- either fall of 1986 or spring of 1987.  (It may have also been a date, but I was unclear on that, so the end of the evening was simply the end of the evening.)

And by weird coincidence, I literally found the LinkedIn profile for that woman yesterday.  (FWIW, still lookin’ good!)

Far from my first concert, but I also once caught Mr. Maynard Ferguson performing live. He was an outstanding performer and bandleader, touring with a big band of College Students and even one High School Student; and he played sounds, phrases and notes on his horn that I never would have dreamed humanly possible. On top of all that, he was an engaging, fun and funny guy. Given the opportunity- were he still with us!- I'd gladly go to see him again.

• Like 5

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

11 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Pretty cool how Schenker was playing double-stop lines and bends for those lines that were harmonized single-note lines played on two separate guitars and tracks on the studio recording. Not exactly 'rocket science', not terribly difficult, but more than many would do, where most players would have either divided the two lines with another guitarist, or simply played the higher melody-notes and omitted the lower of the two.

Here's the original studio-recorded album version:

• Like 3

Like The Cult did with their latest release a few months ago, here’s Queens of the Stone Age with “Carnavoyeur”,  a new track that sounds like a James Bond theme from an alternate dimension.

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

6 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I just started hearing about Erja a few weeks ago; that’s one of the better of her vids I’ve seen.

The first was a live recording of her playing “Crosstown Traffic” in a different tuning and using a slide, but there was so much other stuff in the mix it was hard to hear her playing.

The vid YOU posted, OTOH, is quite clear!  Obviously showcasing her talents as a guitarist and vocalist.  Pretty tasteful, all around.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I just started hearing about Erja a few weeks ago; that’s one of the better of her vids I’ve seen.

The first was a live recording of her playing “Crosstown Traffic” in a different tuning and using a slide, but there was so much other stuff in the mix it was hard to hear her playing.

The vid YOU posted, OTOH, is quite clear!  Obviously showcasing her talents as a guitarist and vocalist.  Pretty tasteful, all around.

I just discovered her this week. I agree about Crosstown Traffic, which is why I posted this one instead. Those are are the only ones I've listened to so far, I will be listening to more.

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

Some new stuff I stumbled across recently:

Yard Act.  The guitar work on this reminds me of some of the playing in late 80s-early 90s Bowie, Eno and Andy Summers’ solo albums.  The bass line is front & center, with a driving gallop reminiscent of…well…bands whose names I can’t recall right now. 

Jelly Roll’s latest is catchy, soulful and relatable.

• Like 1

John McLaughlin & Shakti, live, last night, with Bela Fleck doing a solo opening set.

Words fail, truly. Hearing Bela Fleck play Gershwin's entire "Rhapsody In Blue" on a 5-string Banjo was just one highlight of an extraordinary evening.

McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain are no less amazing to hear, and watch, after all this time. In stark contrast to many recent concerts, I barely saw a smartphone in evidence anywhere. The audience seemed to understand, even expect, that we were there to witness something beyond mere entertainment.

At risk of bringing religion, or something like it, into the Forum, I have to say that it was impossible to see and hear those five men performing together, and not feel that they were in touch with something MUCH greater than themselves, call it Music, call it God, call it whatever you like, IDK, and I don't really need to define it, I am just grateful to have been there to share in the experience.

For gear heads, myself included, McLaughlin seems to have a new PRS Private Stock Guitar - it's one I hadn't seen on any of the previous tours - and it appears as though he's added a Synth PU of some kind(?), since he first got the Guitar. From where I sat, it looks a lot like the new Roland GK5, and it doesn't show up in early photos of the Guitar, nor in the limited-edition run of 200 John McLaughlin Private Stock PRS Guitars. Yes, you can order one of your very own, for just under $15,000. If I had the $$$, maybe, but somehow, I don't think I could make it sound quite like he does . . .

• Like 3
  • Love 2

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

4 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

Glad to hear that McLaughlin is still on his game. I had read that recently he feared his career was over due to arthritis issues.

@Scott Fraser- A few years back, we went to what was being billed as the "Meeting Of The Spirits" Tour, with John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring. At the time, we were told it would also be McLaughlin's farewell tour, because, as he put it, he felt that his hands could no longer do what his head and his heart wanted. It seems that he's found some serious relief, if not restoration, because his fingers were on fire last night.

• Like 4

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

On 3/31/2022 at 5:28 PM, Caevan O’Shite said:

Check this Fusiony performance out- Killin' it! Badass jammin':

👉 https://fb.watch/c5-m0vc-FJ/  👈

Love that album! "Still You Turn Me On" is excellent, a fantastic song.

I particularly love "Karn Evil 9: 2nd Impression":

I saw ELP on the Karn Evil 9 tour, fantastic. That was decades ago, in Fresno. The had a "quad" sound system and sent keyboard parts spinning around the room. 

• Like 4
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 9:23 AM, IMMusicRulz said:

I particularly like the corpulent, fuzzy guitar and quirky, burly rough-and-tumble vocals on the studio original:

• Like 2
  • Love 1