Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Just stumbled on this earlier today: Robert Fripp & Darryl Hall!

I used to watch Live From Darryl’s House pretty frequently, but it slipped from my mind.  I don’t even remember what channel it was on…or if it’s still available in my area.  Always great musicianship on display, and often, tales told you didn’t necessarily hear about, even if you were a major fan.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Robert Fripp credits Scotty Moore (Elvis's original guitar player) as the 1st guitar player that brought him to life in his initial guitar days around 13 years old +/- during the round table conversation toward the end of the video. +1 I had the exact same feeling/experiance and consider Scotty Moore as my mentor.  My 1st tune was That's Alright Mama... 😎👍

Ps. Daryl's House produces some of the best live studio entertainers and entertainment out there IMHO!

Here's Scotty!!!

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

On 11/24/2023 at 11:28 AM, Ivan May said:

image.png.8d358cbf10194c88eb3dff1c7e9b8cef.png

The entire album In The Right Place is really good, Dr John has always been an excellent pianist and singer.

RIP Dr. John, we still love and miss you.

Another essential one from the late, great Dr. John was his 2012 effort Locked Down, with guitars by Dan Auerbach (Black Keys) and a band of other young guns Dan & the Dr. picked out for the session.  IMHO, there is no weak song on the entire album.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Been enjoying David Gilmour's first solo album from back when he was cool (before he seemed so interested in poking the bear). There is a lot to love here: composition, production, luscious Gilmour tone and phrasing, very McCartney-esque bass mix, etc. I played this countless times when it came out and in subsequent years. However as much as there is to love it lacks the depth of Gilmour in Pink Floyd. I mean I crave additional rooms, corridors and floors. There are beautiful rooms here but nothing lies beyond four walls. The rooms are beautiful though.

• Like 5

Some of my favorite Gilmour work outside of Pink Floyd:

There’s No Way Out of Here

Blue Light

All Lovers Are Deranged

Is Your Love Strong Enough (w/Brian Ferry, for the Legend soundtrack)

Running Up That Hill (with Kate Bush)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Been enjoying David Gilmour's first solo album from back when he was cool (before he seemed so interested in poking the bear). There is a lot to love here: composition, production, luscious Gilmour tone and phrasing, very McCartney-esque bass mix, etc. I played this countless times when it came out and in subsequent years. However as much as there is to love it lacks the depth of Gilmour in Pink Floyd. I mean I crave additional rooms, corridors and floors. There are beautiful rooms here but nothing lies beyond four walls. The rooms are beautiful though.

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Some of my favorite Gilmour work outside of Pink Floyd:

There’s No Way Out of Here

Blue Light

All Lovers Are Deranged

The overall best concert that I ever had the pleasure of attending was on Gilmour's tour supporting his second 'solo' album, About Face, at the fabulous Saratoga Performing Arts Center, situated in a beautiful park between Ballston Spa and Saratoga Springs, not far from Albany, NY.

Walking around the woods outside the fence of the SPAC before the concert, we got to hear- but not see- Gilmour and band doing a sound-check, including a rendition of Pink Floyd's "Run Like Hell", rhythmic echoes and all!

A little later, walking around within that fence, we ran into a couple of people, chatted and continued to meander about with them... One of them had a large bottle of cognac with a bow on it, which they presented to the operator of the light-board. This should have tipped us off, young alcohol-buzzed doofs though we were... When the performance began, we recognized one on stage, the 'Auxiliary Percussionist'! The other ran from within the audience, leapt to the stage, grabbed a sax from a stand and began ripping away... !

And what a band! Firing hard on all pistons. No less than Mick Ralphs- you know, from Bad Co.- was Gilmour's "Second" on guitar. They played wonderfully together!

I believe that they performed everything from both David Gilmour and About Face, plus quite a variety of select Pink Floyd
epics interspersed throughout the set-list. The final encore was an apocalyptic rendition of "Comfortably Numb" which left
 the audience howling.

Is Your Love Strong Enough (w/Brian Ferry, for the Legend soundtrack)

I love that movie! I saw it in the cinema when it came out!

Running Up That Hill (with Kate Bush)

I love that song! I love Kate Bush! I had all of her albums- on cassette, and CD.

• Like 5

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I didn't originally want to post this (since Dan Fogelberg is usually identified with many other middle-of-the-road artists), but Christmas is coming up, and Same Old Lang Syne is one of my favorite Dan Fogelberg songs. It's also based on a true story that happened to Dan Fogelberg--he actually did run into an old girlfriend on Christmas Eve years ago, so the song is definitely autobiographcial!

• Like 2

Somehow, David Gilmour’s approach to playing guitar is completely in service to whatever song he’s playing and simultaneously unmistakably his work.  There’s a studious neutrality, a negation of egocentrism that still comes across as characteristic of his playing and no one else’s.

I can’t think of a piece he’s played on that contains a “sour” note or musical phrase that didn’t seem to fit the greater composition.  I never find myself asking, “Why did he play THAT?”

(The only other guitarist I can think of like this is Mark Knopfler.)

• Like 5

This collaboration by Los Angeles Blues-Rock band Canned Heat and Chipmunks creator Ross Bagdasarian Sr. was released in November 1968 as the A-side of Liberty 56079 in time for the holiday shopping season. Though some pressings credit Canned Heat & The Chipmunks on both sides of the disc, the 30 i.p.s. rodents are not present on the reverse, "Christmas Blues".