Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

22 hours ago, surfergirl said:

A great(IMO)cover of Don't Think Twice, It's All Right.

https://youtu.be/YYrG81koPRw

We just saw them Saturday night, with Ziggy Marley. 💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

• Like 5

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

15 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

Heard this at Starbucks this morning. I seldom pay attention to what I hear, but this caught my ear. My secret love for rockabilly, not so secret anymore. We are adding this to our set list.

https://youtu.be/7qhNpnr-Vxc

I love Rockabilly and stuff like that! I'm glad that you're adding that to your set-list, surfergirl. You're going to enjoy that... and I bet you'll get a great response from the audiences.

In one covers and originals band I was in, I really enjoyed it when we used to do "Who do You Love?", and a more Rockabilly-styled take on "Li'l  Red Riding Hood" with lots of reverb into tremolo. I don't consider myself a real Rockabilly player, but I always tried to sound and feel authentic with various rootsy and retro styles, and people sometimes said they thought I really nailed it. One guy that would often come to see the band I was in even kept telling me that I had to quit that band and make a Rockabilly and Surf band with him, he being on drums... (I told him to give me a call when he got a drum set... )

• Like 2

I’m a fan of rockabilly, psychobilly and rockabilly revival.  In the last category, the career arc of Brian Setzer (with Stray Cats and as a solo artist) looms large.

And Setzer opened the door for several other great acts to carry the torch.  One of my faves is Imelda May.  Here she is on Later…With Jools Holland performing “Mayhem”.

A few years & albums after that appearance, she divorced Daryl Higham (the lead guitarist in the band) and they went their separate ways.  Imelda has continued releasing albums, and has guested with other artists like Jeff Beck and Sinead O’Connor (to name just a couple).

However, Daryl didn’t fade into obscurity.  He formed Katmen with Strat Cats drummer, Slim Jim Phantom and eventually joined by Al Gare.  They have been releasing their own quality rockabilly music.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Re: psychobilly

Bands I’m a fan of: The Cramps, Rev. Horton Heat, Tiger Army.

Bands with a caveat: Stuart Baker a.k.a. Unknown Hinson.  I have to mention him, because he does fun music, and many would also know him as a voice actor from Squibillies.  BUUUUUUT, as of 2020, he’s revealed himself to be a bit of a jerk.  He took verbal shots at Dolly Parton (WTF, dude!) and espoused several far-right talking points, including some “light white-supremacy” that cost him his job on Squidbillies AND caused Reverend to immediately stop production on his 2 (really good) signature guitars.  IOW, he’s a poster boy for separating an artist from his art.

• Like 3
  • Annoyed 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

2 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Re: psychobilly

Bands I’m a fan of: The Cramps, Rev. Horton Heat, Tiger Army.

Bands with a caveat: Stuart Baker a.k.a. Unknown Hinson.  I have to mention him, because he does fun music, and many would also know him as a voice actor from Squibillies.  BUUUUUUT, as of 2020, he’s revealed himself to be a bit of a jerk.  He took verbal shots at Dolly Parton (WTF, dude!) and espoused several far-right talking points, including some “light white-supremacy” that cost him his job on Squidbillies AND caused Reverend to immediately stop production on his 2 (really good) signature guitars.  IOW, he’s a poster boy for separating an artist from his art.

Revolting and inexcusable.

• Like 4

I know Kokomo isn’t one of the best Beach Boys songs ever recorded, and I also know that Mike Love is a very cantankerous frontman. But that doesn’t stop me from liking this song. Still, it probably would have sounded better had Brian had a hand in writing it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

I know Kokomo isn’t one of the best Beach Boys songs ever recorded, and I also know that Mike Love is a very cantankerous frontman. But that doesn’t stop me from liking this song. Still, it probably would have sounded better had Brian had a hand in writing it.

This is all the evidence one needs to prove that the Beach Boys without Brian's writing are nothing. Cantankerous? I believe Mike Love had been in a neck & neck competition with David Crosby to determine who was actually the biggest @sshole in the music biz.

• Like 4
Scott Fraser

My grandpa saw The Beach Boys several times and he said they were their best when David Marks and Carl Wilson were together. I think I've said this before, Carl Wilson was the reason my grandpa started playing guitar and I guess that would make it the reason I started playing. 63-6-Hawaii.thumb.jpeg.8bb6faaee23c89e0aa479e5c06c25675.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Jennifer S.

15 minutes ago, surfergirl said:

My grandpa saw The Beach Boys several times and he said they were their best when David Marks and Carl Wilson were together. I think I've said this before, Carl Wilson was the reason my grandpa started playing guitar and I guess that would make it the reason I started playing. 

If Carl had never done anything other than sing "God Only Knows" he would still deserve a place in the Hall of Fame. The most perfect vocal performance ever.

• Like 5
Scott Fraser

I just heard about this band called Dirty Honey making some noise on the charts.  So I gave them a listen.   

They remind me of the 80s/90s band Kix- mainly because of the singer- and they have a solid heavy blues rock sound typical of that era.  I hear echoes of G’n’R, Bulletboys, Dirty Looks and The Black Crowes (as well as others).  All in all, a nice mix.

I don’t know how much I like THEM vs the nostalgic appeal, but I’m definitely going to give them a chance to win me over.

• Like 4

The Beths from New Zealand are my current obsession... great songs and melodies and I love her vocal delivery. The guitarist does some great tasteful things... good textures, and he rips out some cool "above standard issue indie rock" riffs and solos occaissionally...

eths

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/11/2023 at 5:09 PM, IMMusicRulz said:

I used to start playing this one during shows with a band I played with in college, and the crowd would instantly go nuts, so the rest of the band would be pissed and annoyed that they had to try to play along and didn't know it... and I refused to teach it to them, because it was more in the punk rock spirit if they screwed it up,... (though, you know, they could've bothered to learn it on their own... it ain't ELP or anything...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of many Southern rock bands to dominate the Seventies, Black Oak Arkansas was led by Jim Dandy and Ruby Starr. They actually played at the California Jam festival in 1974 along with The Eagles, Black Sabbath and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

One of the first British rock & roll bands, The Shadows often backed British pop singer Cliff Richard, but are perhaps more well known as an instrumental group, with the guitars of Hank Marvin and Bruce Welch, and the drumming of Tony Meehan.

• Like 4

They did a "solo" instrumental number in the movie "The Young Ones" in '61  I was 10 when I saw the movie, and those red Strats took my breath away!

Whitefang

• Like 2
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!