Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

Just stumbled on this video a few minutes ago.  Apparently, this is the 1st track on their soon-to-be released FIFTH album.

I can’t say I like everything about this piece, but I like a LOT about it.

And there’s definitely room to be cautious with these guys.  This earlier track sounds NOTHING like the one I posted above:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I posted this Santana tune on another thread.  It was so Smooth that I thought I better post it here too just in case some may have missed seeing it LoL!  It's one of my favorite tunes:

😎👍

• Like 1
  • Love 1
Take care, Larryz

A few years ago, I got hooked on a band called Wand when I saw the video for their song “Sleepy Dog”:

They did 3 albums, but then seemed to drop off the map.  (They actually have a few more, but they kinda dropped off the radar I was monitoring.)

Well, tonight I was watching a recording of their live studio set from KEXP:

I was enjoying the hell out of it when I noticed several commenters mentioning Wand had apparently worked as a backup band for a musician named Ty Segall.  Interest piqued, I searched YouTube for him, and found his newest release:

I don’t know that Wand is still working with Ty, but regardless, I think his music is worthy of sharing as well!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

8 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

A few years ago, I got hooked on a band called Wand when I saw the video for their song “Sleepy Dog”:

They did 3 albums, but then seemed to drop off the map.  (They actually have a few more, but they kinda dropped off the radar I was monitoring.)

Well, tonight I was watching a recording of their live studio set from KEXP:

Wow. I like that a lot! How come I'd never heard of them before?

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

9 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Wow. I like that a lot! How come I'd never heard of them before?

The market is so balkanized these days, it’s HARD for bands to get to that critical mass of popularity that creates a “self-propagating wave” of awareness.  Bands that would have been nationally famous by their 2nd or 3rd album stay “underground” much longer.

• Like 1

C.W. Stoneking is an Aussie musician has been around a while, playing new music in unapologetically retro styles.  I first saw him on Later…with Jools Holland about a little over a decade ago.

One of his more recent tracks is suitably spooky:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Last Saturday I went to hear Sona Jobarteh and her band. Amazing, wonderful!!!

The video is a different recent performance but true to the experience. The music starts about 3 minutes in and grows.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Here’s Graveyard, a Swedish band that just popped up on my radar on the cusp of releasing their 6th album.

To my ears, this tune gets more “Doors”-y as it progresses, especially at the end.  I realize their instrumentation is different, but there is something about the phrasing of the guitar solo and the vocalist’s slightly raspy delivery that echoes that band without copying them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Here’s Graveyard, a Swedish band that just popped up on my radar on the cusp of releasing their 6th album.

I like that! I can't help but note that someone certainly listened to and was influenced quite a bit by the Doors' "Light My Fire" and "Riders On The Storm"...

EDIT:

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

To my ears, this tune gets more “Doors”-y as it progresses, especially at the end.  I realize their instrumentation is different, but there is something about the phrasing of the guitar solo and the vocalist’s slightly raspy delivery that echoes that band without copying them.

I had not seen what you'd said there, Danny A', when I'd made the above observation noting some Doors influences...  :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

• 3 weeks later...

Brittany Howard, formerly of Alabama Shakes, has released the first single from her 2nd solo album.

Now, I like this song.  And the video’s Blade-inspired storyline is pretty cool.

But Ms. Howard is known for playing SGs with 3 HBs more often than any other guitar, and in this video, she’s rocking something with 4 singlecoils.  It too shadowy to see the headstock or much of the body, so I can barely guess what she’s using.  The only guitar I KNOW with that configuration is a Di Pinto Galaxie 4, and it ain’t one of those.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Brittany Howard, formerly of Alabama Shakes, has released the first single from her 2nd solo album.

Now, I like this song.  And the video’s Blade-inspired storyline is pretty cool.

But Ms. Howard is known for playing SGs with 3 HBs more often than any other guitar, and in this video, she’s rocking something with 4 singlecoils.  It too shadowy to see the headstock or much of the body, so I can barely guess what she’s using.  The only guitar I KNOW with that configuration is a Di Pinto Galaxie 4, and it ain’t one of those.

I want to like that, the song and the video, more than I do. Had I just heard that somewhere, I wouldn't have recognized her voice- or recognized her by her style. She seems buried in the production, and not necessarily by volume-level within the mix. This seems very 'overproduced', and underwritten. She's certainly still got some pipes, and delivers no small performance here- this just seems like the sonic equivalent of a beloved actor center-stage surrounded by hundreds of others in a huge, complex set and an elaborate light-show, all obscuring and dwarfing our star. Maybe I exaggerate a bit- but not by too much...

I love Brittany Howard, her singing voice and guitar playing and general persona. She doesn't need to remain in a previous role that's familiar to me and makes me comfortable. But she also doesn't need a lot of glitzy trendy production and all that. She's got the goods to begin with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

A 60's era Teisco. The video is dreadful. I hope she gets back to doing what she's really good at.

I suspect that the guitar was handed to her as a prop for the video, by someone that thought it would look cooler than her own guitars.

• Like 1

I found out yesterday that Cheap Trick had re-recorded the enitre In Color album with Steve Albini producing, but never released it. The re-recorded version of Hello There did get released on one of the versions of Guitar Hero or some such video game, however. This is it, and it sounds absolutely f-n MASSIVE.

• Like 2
  • Love 1