Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

4 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

LOVE Cheap Trick! One of the best live bands I've ever seen and heard. A real Top Fuel Dragster of a Rock band, firing on ALL pistons. OUTSTANDING. When Elizabeth and I caught them a few years ago as one of a couple of opening acts at a three band lineup, they were not only the best, Robin Zander's voice was remarkably fine, good as ever and stunningly intact and still good for lilting melodies even after the screachier passages of "Auf Wierdersehen", which would have left most so-called singers hoarse and croaking. I leaned over to Elizabeth and said, "THAT'S what Axl Rose wishes he could be when he grows up!"

It was the live Cheap Trick  at Budokan album- first heard in the US as bootlegs and imported Japanese promotional copies and the like, not originally intended for release here(!)- that really kicked their career into high-gear, in spite of a scorcher of a debut album in 1977 with Cheap Trick. Despite a lot of solid songwriting, record company people and producers conspired to make their second and third albums sound and feel, overall, very tamed, watered-down, Muzak friendly after their first album...  :rolleyes:  Compare some of the songs on Budokan with the original studio versions on In Color and Heaven Tonight.  I wore out several copies each of Budokan, 1977's Cheap Trick, and Dream Police back in the day!

Surrender remains one of the very best rock/pop songs ever written.

"Just the other day I heard a soldier's falling off..."

It's a masterpiece, I still play it and crack up every time. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Surrender remains one of the very best rock/pop songs ever written.

"Just the other day I heard a soldier's falling off..."

It's a masterpiece, I still play it and crack up every time. 

I  :love: LOVED :love: playing "Surrender" with a band I was in!! I once even spontaneously whipped off an instrumental version, playing the vocal-melody lines as well, when the band wanted to skip it and I insisted, growling "PLAY it, motherfuckers!!" as I launched headlong into it. That song seems deceptively simple, but it's got a number of musical slick tricks and smooth moves that make it hooky as Velcro and burdocks. Absolutely brilliant, a gem.

I also played "Big Eyes" with a one-night-only band consisting of three old friends of mine and myself; during the drum-fill intro, the drummer blurted out "BIG-  GUYS... !!" similar to how Robin Zander calls out the name of the tune on Cheap Trick at Budokan. What a blast! A guy came up and shook my hand afterward, telling me "You do Cheap Trick GOOD!!" 

• Like 3

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

8 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

I  :love: LOVED :love: playing "Surrender" with a band I was in!! I once even spontaneously whipped off an instrumental version, playing the vocal-melody lines as well, when the band wanted to skip it and I insisted, growling "PLAY it, motherfuckers!!" as I launched headlong into it. That song seems deceptively simple, but it's got a number of musical slick tricks and smooth moves that make it hooky as Velcro and burdocks. Absolutely brilliant, a gem.

I also played "Big Eyes" with a one-night-only band consisting of three old friends of mine and myself; during the drum-fill intro, the drummer blurted out "BIG-  GUYS... !!" similar to how Robin Zander calls out the name of the tune on Cheap Trick at Budokan. What a blast! A guy came up and shook my hand afterward, telling me "You do Cheap Trick GOOD!!" 

Another interesting fact - Tom Peterson, bassist for Cheap Trick was a very early adapter to "bass as an orchestra all it's own". His 12 string basses have individual pickups for each string and he runs (ran?) a bank of different amps. Geddy Lee and Dug Pinnick both have signature Tech 21 pedals that blend clean and distortion tones for bass and both are very good players but Tom does not get the credit he deserves. He held down both the bass part and a "guitar part" simultaneously, making Cheap Trick sound MUCH bigger live than they would have otherwise. He's been very "endorsement shy" so he's overlooked but I consider him to be far and away one of the greatest rock bassists of all time, a "one of one" player who created a sound and a category all his own. 

• Like 4

Another interesting fact - Tom Peterson, bassist for Cheap Trick was a very early adapter to "bass as an orchestra all it's own". His 12 string basses have individual pickups for each string and he runs (ran?) a bank of different amps. Geddy Lee and Dug Pinnick both have signature Tech 21 pedals that blend clean and distortion tones for bass and both are very good players but Tom does not get the credit he deserves. He held down both the bass part and a "guitar part" simultaneously, making Cheap Trick sound MUCH bigger live than they would have otherwise. He's been very "endorsement shy" so he's overlooked but I consider him to be far and away one of the greatest rock bassists of all time, a "one of one" player who created a sound and a category all his own. 

Oh, I know. LOVE that guy. He often used several guitar amps instead of bass amps to get his growling sound; I've seen photos of him using two different brands and models of amp-stacks, two pairs per side. Maybe even three, my memory's a bit befuzzled. (I wonder how many 'guitar' speakers he destroyed in his day that way?) A very unique musician!

He seems to be very satisfied with his Gretsch semi-hollow 12-String basses; when I saw him last, it was the first time I'd known him to play the same bass for the entire show.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Dio is part of the reason why everyone should have a Halloween music playlist.

Saw Ronnie Jame Dio on tour with Vivian Campbell on lead guitar. Probably the loudest concert I've ever damaged my hearing for. Dude had pipes!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2022 at 9:50 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Saw Ronnie Jame Dio on tour with Vivian Campbell on lead guitar. Probably the loudest concert I've ever damaged my hearing for. Dude had pipes!

My first ever rock concert was in San Antonio: Dio with Megadeth and Savatage as the opening acts.  It was an amazing experience etched in my memory.

…because as good as the music was, it was also a distilled homage to Spïnal Täp.

Savatage opened the show with a 45 minute set, of which perhaps 20 minutes of it included being able to hear the bass player.  His signal would cut out, and roadies & techs would scramble to get him audible again.  They would succeed, but minutes later, he’d cut out again in a neverending cycle.  When they wrapped up their set, the bass player took off his instrument, grabbed it by the neck & headstock, and threw it tomahawk-style at the crew off stage righr.

Megadeth was next.  Their set was going fine for the most part.  Then Dave announced the show was being filmed for MTV, and we all cheered.  They then launched into “Devil’s Island”.  Then, shenannigans ensued: Dave was shout-singing “Devil’s Island!  Devil’s Isl…” and the entire arena went pitch black and silent.  We all cheered!  10 minutes of darkness made it clear this was NOT part of the show.  When the house lights came up, Dave announced, “We blew a fu…n’ fuse!”  Their set cont8nued without further incidents.

Then came Dio.  At the time, he was touring with his “million-dollar” stage setting full of fantastic robotic creatures.  During one song, we got a spider firing lasers over the crowd.  In another, they had a fire-breathing dragon.  Then, near the end of Dio’s set, the spider and the dragon engaged each other in battle!  It was spectacular: flames jetting at the robo-spider, lasers glinting off the robo-drake. When the dragon missed the spider and ignited some speakers on stage left, we cheered!

Turns out, THAT wasn’t part of the show, either, quickly made clear by the panicked guitarist and the frenzied actions of the small army of extinguisher-wielding roadies.

As we filed out of the arena that night to my car, I asked my more concert-savvy friends if this error-filled display was typical.  They quickly disabused me of any thought that the show was in any way normal.  Good times!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

My first ever rock concert was in San Antonio: Dio with Megadeth and Savatage as the opening acts.  It was an amazing experience etched in my memory.

…because as good as the music was, it was also a distilled homage to Spïnal Täp.

Savatage opened the show with a 45 minute set, of which perhaps 20 minutes of it included being able to hear the bass player.  His signal would cut out, and roadies & techs would scramble to get him audible again.  They would succeed, but minutes later, he’d cut out again in a neverending cycle.  When they wrapped up their set, the bass player took off his instrument, grabbed it by the neck & headstock, and threw it tomahawk-style at the crew off stage righr.

Megadeth was next.  Their set was going fine for the most part.  Then Dave announced the show was being filmed for MTV, and we all cheered.  They then launched into “Devil’s Island”.  Then, shenannigans ensued: Dave was shout-singing “Devil’s Island!  Devil’s Isl…” and the entire arena went pitch black and silent.  We all cheered!  10 minutes of darkness made it clear this was NOT part of the show.  When the house lights came up, Dave announced, “We blew a fu…n’ fuse!”  Their set cont8nued without further incidents.

Then came Dio.  At the time, he was touring with his “million-dollar” stage setting full of fantastic robotic creatures.  During one song, we got a spider firing lasers over the crowd.  In another, they had a fire-breathing dragon.  Then, near the end of Dio’s set, the spider and the dragon engaged each other in battle!  It was spectacular: flames jetting at the robo-spider, lasers glinting off the robo-drake. When the dragon missed the spider and ignited some speakers on stage left, we cheered!

Turns out, THAT wasn’t part of the show, either, quickly made clear by the panicked guitarist and the frenzied actions of the small army of extinguisher-wielding roadies.

As we filed out of the arena that night to my car, I asked my more concert-savvy friends if this error-filled display was typical.  They quickly disabused me of any thought that the show was in any way normal.  Good times!

Would this have been May 2nd in 1988? (Or February 5th, 1988?)

• Like 1

Sounds similar to the show I saw, the dragon, the rocks, the castle turret. 

There were no technical difficulties.

The funniest part of the show was when the opening band (whose name escapes me) were done and the roadies were moving the wall of amplifiers off the stage. 

I saw one roadie grab two 4 x 12" cabs by the corners, pick them up and walk off stage. The backside of one cabinet was facing the audience. No speakers, no nothing. 

All just for show. 

Dio's band did not have any visible amplification. There were huge fire pots on stage, when Vivian Campbell took a solo he'd sort of jab the headstock of his guitar towards a fireboat and there would be a lovely blast of fire shooting up 20 feet. Pretty cool stuff. 

• Like 3

The funniest part of the show was when the opening band (whose name escapes me) were done and the roadies were moving the wall of amplifiers off the stage. 

I saw one roadie grab two 4 x 12" cabs by the corners, pick them up and walk off stage. The backside of one cabinet was facing the audience. No speakers, no nothing. 

All just for show. 

Might have been Y & T, aka Yesterday & Today, the band I believe is the true inspiration for Spinal Tap. I had worked on a video for them, so they put me on the guest list for their upcoming gig. Triple, not double, stacks of Marshall cabs. When they finished, same thing, stage hands carrying them off, one cab in each hand. As if. 

• Like 4
Scott Fraser

15 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Would this have been May 2nd in 1988? (Or February 5th, 1988?)

Could have been!  It was definitely after my freshman year at Trinity University (86-87) because I know I was the driver, and I got my Grand Am in mid-87.  And school would have been in session for either date.

Given that finals would have been approaching, it would almost HAVE to be February.

It’s interesting to me trying to think about more details on that show.  It made me remember I knew 2 of my fellow attendees earlier than I recalled. It’s also funny to see that some places list the show as being in the Convention Center, when it was actually HemisFair Arena- we were seated pretty high up.  (College students buying cheap seats!)

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

6 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Could have been!  It was definitely after my freshman year at Trinity University (86-87) because I know I was the driver, and I got my Grand Am in mid-87.  And school would have been in session for either date.

Given that finals would have been approaching, it would almost HAVE to be February.

It’s interesting to me trying to think about more details on that show.  It made me remember I knew 2 of my fellow attendees earlier than I recalled. It’s also funny to see that some places list the show as being in the Convention Center, when it was actually HemisFair Arena- we were seated pretty high up.  (College students buying cheap seats!)

Hmmmmm...  🤔

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Hmmmmm...  🤔

(I’d say that date in the title was DD/MM/YYYY format.)

Looks like show!   Probably the most usable footage from that show.  My friends and I were seated in the upper tier on stage right, about a 30deg angle off of the center of the stage.

Another, more personal aspect of that evening was noting how overwhelmingly white the audience was.  I mean, I knew going in that metal fandom skewed heavily caucasian, but there were so few other non-whites in attendance you could literally pick them out.  (As we did between sets.)

It’s all the more surprising in retrospect, given the huge hispanic metal community in San Antonio, a city which (even then) was majorly hispanic.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Another, more personal aspect of that evening was noting how overwhelmingly white the audience was.  I mean, I knew going in that metal fandom skewed heavily caucasian, but there were so few other non-whites in attendance you could literally pick them out.  (As we did between sets.)

We noticed the same thing at The Eagles concert that we attended a few years ago. The white population of Oahu is maybe 20% but they made up easily 90% of the audience. No problem, we got along with everyone and made some new friends.  But it was a little strange.

• Like 3

Jennifer S.

5 hours ago, surfergirl said:

We noticed the same thing at The Eagles concert that we attended a few years ago. The white population of Oahu is maybe 20% but they made up easily 90% of the audience. No problem, we got along with everyone and made some new friends.  But it was a little strange.

Can’t say I recall any obvious or serious racial animus directed at me personally in the Metal community- or any concert, for that matter- but it happens.  Mostly, I’ve been regarded as more of a curiosity than a threat or target.

i can remember a time when I used to see this cute black girl at a particular Austin rock/metal club for all the best shows.  We never met, but we often gave each other a head nod or a cup salute across the room before the show.  We were usually the only blacks in the room.*

These days, though?  There’s enough diversity among the fans and performers it seems my presence at a metal show barely warrants a blip on anyone’s radar.

* The only exceptions springing to mind were when King’s X came to town, and the Ice-T/Bodycount/Eye & I show.  And the LA Guns/Shark Island club show audience in San Antonio was half hispanic…mostly from one biker “club”.

• Like 2

@ Danny and SurferGirl, My buddy and I had the opposite experience back in the late 60's.  We were just about the only two white guys in the audience at the San Jose Civic Auditorium LoL!  We got tickets to see Fats Domino (which was one of our favorite rock and rollers).  He really put on a fantastic show.  For his last tune he walked a full-size baby grand across a large stage singing "I'm Walking to New Orleans!"  The memory of that performance has been stuck in my brain ever since...😎

• Like 4
Take care, Larryz