Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

3 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Just stumbled upon this group:

Riffy! Crunchy, stompy, sludgy 'n Sabbathy.

I wouldn't mind if they changed it up sometime, like throwing in something a little syncopated, skipping 'n splashy, a brief key change or beat or time change. The song came to seem longer than it actually is. What would Rush or ELP or Led Zeppelin or Cream or The Mars Volta or... do? 😉

Still alright, mos def worth posting here, glad to see and hear 'em and I hope we do see and hear more from them! Especially if they diversify and/or break things up a little more here and there...

(I'm just kickin' the ball around here, DannyA' my friend! NOT meaning to criticize!)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

6 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Day to myself, get to working on some slack key. Second one just for fun.

https://youtu.be/naMVEUsHV14

https://youtu.be/KJqeq9zAHg0

That second one, "Kalihi Street Jug Band", would probably be GREAT for your Rodeo and Country gig set-list!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gov’t Mule live at the Westville Music Bowl in New Haven, CT, May 2021.

Niiiiiiiiiice.... Warren's sportin' a mighty fine custom 12-String Gibson Les Paul for the first tune, too... :cool:💖

https://fb.watch/cVgrsszjn9/

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 5:29 AM, Caevan O’Shite said:

Joni Mitchell and The Band? We'd get along pretty well it looks like.

The "Brown Album" is one of my all time favorite records. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Been checking out Rachel Flowers on YouTube. 

Amazing keyboardist. 

Name SEEMS familiar; I'll hafta check 'er out... 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Been checking out Rachel Flowers on YouTube. 

Amazing keyboardist. 

Cool. Good stuff. :cool: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Cool. Good stuff. :cool: 

Up until very recently, I had not heard of her or heard her play. Then I watched a video at random where she played an excerpt from Emerson Lake & Palmer where some guy was re-patching this gigantic Moog modular synth while she ripped on that and a Hammond - scary good keyboardist!!!!

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Up until very recently, I had not heard of her or heard her play. Then I watched a video at random where she played an excerpt from Emerson Lake & Palmer where some guy was re-patching this gigantic Moog modular synth while she ripped on that and a Hammond - scary good keyboardist!!!!

Anyone who plays Take A Pebble note for note is an excellent keyboardist in my book.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Guitarist Scrote (Angelo Bundini) is joining Todd Rundgren and Adrian Belew onstage for the upcoming David Bowie Tribute tour...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Just thought I’d post this article about them that popped up:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/story-unsung-female-rock-pioneers-fanny-society-not-ready-accept-us-224313039.html

• Like 5

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I just watched a vid that Rick Beato posted about this act, who he found on MySpace back in the "Stone Ages" and produced, and how it is unjustly ignored and obscure... a classical guitarist making pop music... and I'll be damned if I can't stop listening to it...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, p90jr said:

I just watched a vid that Rick Beato posted about this act, who he found on MySpace back in the "Stone Ages" and produced, and how it is unjustly ignored and obscure... a classical guitarist making pop music... and I'll be damned if I can't stop listening to it...

Personally, I find that the skills and aesthetics of classical instrument players translate MUCH better to non-classical genres than do those of classical vocalists.  Pavarotti singing along with BB King on “The Thrill Is Gone” is pretty comical, for instance.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

1 minute ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Personally, I find that the skills and aesthetics of classical instrument players translate MUCH better to non-classical genres than do those of classical vocalists.  Pavarotti singing along with BB King on “The Thrill Is Gone” is pretty comical, for instance.

Oh yeah... actually, I'm always a bit embarrassed by my dislike of most actual Opera... then again, my mother doesn't like most of it, either, and she had to teach it at points... and I was dragged along to see tons of Operas as a kid, then worked on the stage crew for a lot of productions. I file most of it in the "appreciate... but honestly don't 'like' it" camp. But yes, a trained Opera singer can make for a bad and annoying pop singer and a horrific blues singer... and I've had some terrible experiences with trained choral singers in rock band contexts, just the wrong feel and accents AND the refusal to listen to us neanderthals who are beneath them and dare try to clarify things. One funny exception is a Smiths tribute band I'm in that had an Opera-trained singer (who also has a punk and rock background) who was a truly perfect fit for Morrissey's vocals, which most people would probably think of as being "amateurish" or even "not good" but perhaps were just misunderstood in the context, and are certainly hard to pull off.

• Like 1