Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fergie's Sheet Music Leaked

DulceLabs.com

Well, all I'll say is she did it within the modern context. Meaning it was pure crap from my (our?) pov but she didn't blow it or anything. I believe this is what was rehearsed and she thought was good. She's just trying to cover herself now by saying it was kind of a mess. Yes it was.

I think the reason modern singers just don't "sing the damn thing as written" is either they can't or they think they'll hurt their image or something. The sad thing is if she were to poll all of her fans at one of her concerts I'm sure they would say they loved it and she knows that. Such is modern musical taste. Her mistake was she misjudged a wider audience.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seen on Twitter:

Seriously, she had to think about that, come up with the concept, practice it, & at no point did anybody step in. This is why you never surround yourself with sycophants. #fergienationalanthem

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

For those who like to get worked up about such things, I am here to bring you the fun news that Whitney Houston lip-synced that National Anthem performance.

Still a great version. But not live.

She sang live. Well the mic wasn't on, but she sang live. What you heard was her voice. Well a recording of her voice. So she sang live, but what you heard what a recording. So what's the big deal, troublemaker? :laugh:

I remember when I was a kid watching that show "Solid Gold". 80's pop songs with the Solid Gold Dancers. NICE! Anywho, the bands would "play", but it was always the radio recording we heard.

I finally caught on when 'Men at Work' was on Solid Gold & Saturday Night Live on the same night, as SNL used live audio.

I remember when I was a kid watching that show "Solid Gold". 80's pop songs with the Solid Gold Dancers. NICE! Anywho, the bands would "play", but it was always the radio recording we heard.

I finally caught on when 'Men at Work' was on Solid Gold & Saturday Night Live on the same night, as SNL used live audio.

Some bands had ways of alerting their audience that they were being forced to lip sync. :D

[video:youtube]

Moe

---

[video:youtube]a3eTjBUZSRo

That was indeed awesome. In conjunction with the vocalists pitchiness, at times it was hard to tell if some of those reharmonizations were key changes (or not). The piano man made that performance. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

She did the SSB as a torch song...badly.

Honestly, I'm pretty durn patriotic, and I'm of the mindset that we should just stop doing the national anthem before sporting events. After a while, folks get numb, disinterested, and it loses its intended effect.

And yes, it's hard to sing. I'd be in favor of changing the anthem to either "America the Beautiful" or "My Country 'Tis of Thee."

On a related note, I quite like "O, Canada."

I've never heard a live performance from her that was remotely in tune. (Granted, it's not like I'm seeking out her vids on YouTube).

I've never considered her to be even remotely talented....Other than being the blonde, white chick in the black eyed peas (go ahead, flame me), I'm not sure what she has to offer musically. Yes, she had a catchy studio hit years ago, but even that she managed to consistently butcher live.

I do give her points for an honest response to all the hoopla.

Ive always been honored and proud to perform the national anthem and last night I wanted to try something special for the NBA,

Im a risk taker artistically, but clearly this rendition didnt strike the intended tone, she said. I love this country and honestly tried my best.

(Hoopla - see what I did there?)

I dunno, I've heard worse than Fergie. Black Eyed Peas aren't exactly my dish of the day, but, you know, if a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, then that's what that girl did.

Whitney got it right of course - that's how you're meant to sing a national anthem. I was struggling to find a beat in Marvin's performance, but no denying that wonderful vocal timbre and effortless pitching and delivery. It's rare to find that these days (thank you to whoever hipped me to Lake Street Dive).

Cheers, Mike.

tough room ... artists bashing artists ... really fun stuff gang. nice work.

My sentiments as well.

I struggle to remind myself to try and appreciate the art im given, instead of criticize because its not the art i envisioned. Im not very good at walking my own walk, unfortunately. Pot ... I am the kettle. im still embarrassed about the time i dissed Ringo. Little did i know. So i took advantage of the never ending Sirius Beatles channel to truly listen and I learned just how foolishly wrong i was. He was a true artist, even if he didnt bash out hard rock like i tend to prefer. Fortunately my insignificance will allow it to one day be forgotten.

Ok thats a stretch. Fergie s no Ringo :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I finally got around to watching a video of the performance. I don't really get what all the fuss was about. It seems remarkably tame compared to the impression left by all the histrionic reactions I've read and heard on the Internet and the media.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

This is off-topic, but regarding the 1983 Marvin Gaye version, there's a nice article about it here: ARTICLE

There's also a documentary about it coming today (I believe?) on NBA TV.

- - -

I've always liked this Brian McKnight / David Sanborn take from the 1997 All-Star Game:

Hey, I'm curious to hear about national anthem use outside of the USA. In the USA, it is ubiquitous at high-school, college and pro sporting events. What about elsewhere?

In Australia, the short answer to this question is "no".

The long answer: It does get played at sporting events, but generally only if the event is a big deal (like a final), or if the event is international, in which case both anthems get played, the other country's first.

As far as schools go, it depends a bit, but it's certainly not ubiquitous. For example at my son's school, they play it very rarely on special occasions, but it's not a regular thing. But I know when we lived interstate one of the primary schools the boys went to played it fairly often.

As a result of the above, almost zero Australians know the second verse of our national anthem.

Another fun fact about our anthem - the original version had to be severely truncated and a few words amended as some of the themes explored within are somewhat out of step with modern thinking.

Archived