Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fergie's Sheet Music Leaked

DulceLabs.com

Hey, I'm curious to hear about national anthem use outside of the USA. In the USA, it is ubiquitous at high-school, college and pro sporting events. What about elsewhere?

In Australia, the short answer to this question is "no".

The long answer: It does get played at sporting events, but generally only if the event is a big deal (like a final), or if the event is international, in which case both anthems get played, the other country's first.

As far as schools go, it depends a bit, but it's certainly not ubiquitous. For example at my son's school, they play it very rarely on special occasions, but it's not a regular thing. But I know when we lived interstate one of the primary schools the boys went to played it fairly often.

As a result of the above, almost zero Australians know the second verse of our national anthem.

Another fun fact about our anthem - the original version had to be severely truncated and a few words amended as some of the themes explored within are somewhat out of step with modern thinking.

Good summary, notwithstanding amending a few words "our home is (still) girt by sea".

And it should be noted that up until 1984 our national anthem was "God save the Queen". So if you were born before 1979 you have had 2 national anthems in your lifetime.

Kind of hard to teary eyed about a woman living in a palace on the other side of the world. Sung out of respect with not a lot of enthusiasm.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good summary, notwithstanding amending a few words "our home is (still) girt by sea".

And it should be noted that up until 1984 our national anthem was "God save the Queen". So if you were born before 1979 you have had 2 national anthems in your lifetime.

"Girt" came in handy in a game of Scrabble I played recently. Thanks, national anthem!

My mum used to always tell me a story about misheard GSTQ lyrics from when she was a school girl. Apparently she heard "Send her Victoria, happy with Gloria..."

Hey, I'm curious to hear about national anthem use outside of the USA. In the USA, it is ubiquitous at high-school, college and pro sporting events. What about elsewhere?

Busch.

The answer is also "No", and the response from our australian forumites applies very close to Brazil.

In Brazil in general: Not sung in schools typically (only graduation I think), sung/played at major sports events only (and not by celebrities!), but typically just instrumental with people singing along the words. Also if a foreign competition, other anthem plays first always. Colleges only at graduation and major events. They are 'mandatory' only in military events.

My situation is specific as I studied in American schools most of my life. In Brazil we sang both anthems back to back, and got scolded for not knowing the words. The foreigners got away with not knowing the Brazilian anthem, but us Brazilians had to know both completely.

I can actually sing the american anthem completely, but make some mistakes on the Brazilian. The Brazilian is longer (usually sung abridged - the second part I'll mess up if I try to sing - as will 99% of Brazilians), and the language is awkward (old grammar together with a rhythmic poetric narrative). The currently lyrics dates back to 1880 I think (mostly), the original from 1830 (IIRC) is mostly gone from the present lyrics.

Honestly, our anthem sounds overly pompous and obtuse, and it feels like you're trying to sing a few paragraphs from Finnegans Wake.

Random information:

Brazilians are in general less formal with the anthem, and flag related issues (for a lack of a better expression). I thought it was interesting when an American explained to me there is a proper way to fold a flag. Things like school marching bands don't exist. People display patriotism during September 11th (our 4th of July) much much less than in the U.S. I wouldn't say we are less patriotic, it's just a lot more subtle and less formal.

Anyways, a bit more than you asked, hope it was interesting! (Brazilians are always overly loquacious)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I finally got around to watching a video of the performance. I don't really get what all the fuss was about. It seems remarkably tame compared to the impression left by all the histrionic reactions I've read and heard on the Internet and the media.

Best,

Geoff

True. I thought it was going to be a flat pitch trainwreck. It's more that it was obnoxious and a bit wierd I think. But still, it's nowhere near what it's been portrayed as.

It seems remarkably tame compared to the impression left by all the histrionic reactions I've read and heard on the Internet and the media.
Ditto. Although I disagree with the practice, the de-emphasis of final consonants is actually taught in some circles for pop singing. As for the move to 4/4 time, I am not sure it is any more abnormal than Ray Charles's beautiful "America" rendition. I found it to be less of a mockery than, e.g., Kenny G's circular breathing trick.

Would I prefer that they just accept the honor and do it "straight?" Yessir. But I think that Fergie has had much more poo flung at her than she deserves.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

... As for the move to 4/4 time, I am not sure it is any more abnormal than Ray Charles's beautiful "America" rendition. I found it to be less of a mockery than, e.g., Kenny G's circular breathing trick.

I don't think anyone has issue with the 4/4 time. Whitney's rendition-- widely considered the gold standard (and Pink's recent "cover" of it)-- were both in 4/4 time I believe.

I don't even have a real problem with the pitchiness. I'm sure she was doing the best she could.

I just felt like I needed a shower after watching/listening to Fergie... not the feeling one should have after hearing that song. Singing a national anthem as a torch song is just a major blunder, IMO.

Contrast with two of my favorite renditions ever. Nobody laughing, or even cracking a smile, during the second one. Still moves me to this day.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

huh. i never even realized it was in 3/4 time until you guys mentioned it and i tapped it out. i learn so much here.

I agree with the sympathizers - Fergie wasn't all that great but the reaction sort of blows me away. ive probably heard a hundred worse renditions. at least she didn't go all roseanne on them and grab her dick and spit.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I'd be in favor of changing the anthem to either "America the Beautiful" or "My Country 'Tis of Thee."

:thu:

Right, another history major. Does this sound vaguely familiar?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN9EC3Gy6Nk

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I think Jose Feliciano was the first to freestyle the anthem. Old people hated it, young people didn't see what the fuss was.

Sounds just a little familiar....

*Sigh*

If I only had a lawn, I might be a little more grumpy. Instead, I can only aspire to curmudgeonry.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Fergie was pretty horrible, not as much as Roseanne, you're right.

Out of all them, I like the Whitney Houston and Marvin Gaye versions the best. And also Jimi Hendrix.

Why not make the Chicken Dance or If You're Happy And You Know It Clap Your Hands an anthem? Or as someone else suggested Waltzing Matilda? Though I'm pretty sure almost no non-Australian Americans could understand parts of the lyrics because its dialectal.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I just felt like I needed a shower after watching/listening to Fergie... not the feeling one should have after hearing that song. Singing a national anthem as a torch song is just a major blunder, IMO.
I agree. Fergie is a skilled singer. It's not that she sang badly, but her interpretation was horrible. I was holding on throughout, restraining my urge to hate how she was murdering the song, until the last notes when I finally gave up. I hate when singers, in their attempts to stand out, change the notes of the melody. It's the national anthem. Your re-write of the melody makes it worse, not better. Stop it.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I finally got around to watching a video of the performance. I don't really get what all the fuss was about. It seems remarkably tame compared to the impression left by all the histrionic reactions I've read and heard on the Internet and the media.

Best,

Geoff

True. I thought it was going to be a flat pitch trainwreck. It's more that it was obnoxious and a bit wierd I think. But still, it's nowhere near what it's been portrayed as.

I just heard it in this thread. I don't get the criticism either maybe I need to hear again. Certainly not the best rendition but I was expecting bad notes, loss of melody etc. Agree exactly with JohnH

Just went back and listened to Whitney Houston's 1991 Super Bowl rendition.

Whew!! Wow!!! No words to say...........................

WH

Kind of hard to teary eyed about a woman living in a palace on the other side of the world. Sung out of respect with not a lot of enthusiasm.

The Dutch national anthem is one of the oldest in the world. As a result the

lyrics say: I am from german blood and I have always honored the king of Spain. Kind of weird, but everybody still accepts it:)

Rudy

The Dutch national anthem is one of the oldest in the world. As a result the

lyrics say: I am from german blood and I have always honored the king of Spain. Kind of weird, but everybody still accepts it:)

Very interesting and cool, Rudy!

The difference in the example that Mark quotes is GSTQ is an anthem that was "gifted" to many British colonies by the Empire, not an anthem of our own creation that paid deference to our heritage and history.

Interestingly, the original lyrics of our current anthem "Advance Australia Fair" also reference our British heritage in quite some detail. But this was long before the song was actually adopted as our anthem - and heavily amended as mentioned earlier.

Well now we seem to be part of Europe with our participation in Eurovision maybe we will have to revise the words further and embrace the significant roles the Dutch - Van Dieman, Tasman; French - d'Entrecasteaux Channel, la Perouse; Poles - Kosciuszko National Park; and Germans - Leichhardt; played in discovering and exploring our sunburnt country.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Overall, it reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys. Different, but nothing about which to get one's undies in a bunch....
Sorry to interrupt this uplifting thread, but can I be the only one here who's undies were affected by Michelle Pfeiffer? :w00t:
Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Archived