Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Newby here.

I should be recieving one of these soon.

I have a couple questions.

Has anyone used this as a pa. My set up is

One acoustic gt. one Parker Fly electric and acoustic into a Kemper amp.

Two vocals. I'm using a seq. program Sweetmidi into a Ketron module

Sd2 for backing tracks( drums,keys,bass) Mixed on a dL1608

I have one sub(Ev zx1a or Qsc KW181) i sent out to an aux.

Is anyone using the SS this way? In other words full range

Duo similar to this?

And

Secondly, is anyone using 2 of these and if so,

How is it configured? One each side,stacked,different inst.

On one?

I thought about 2 for a larger gig and running one

Wireless at the other end of room or outside.

Let me know of your real life experince this way

As apposed to just a keyboard amp.

Thanks!

Trevor

just here at the house - two mikes, uke, guitar, 2 keyboards through a yamaha 10ch mixer into the ss sitting on top of and into an AI ten2 as subwoofer - seriously impressed...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

[and - any new owners considering returning or selling the SS3 (like 16251's friend above) may want to play it several hours first].

Nice to know. I told my friend today that he should keep it for a while. His return ($) won't depreciate any more in six months.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Hi Tom and welcome to this detailed thread. Around page 17 or so is when the units started becoming available and that's also when Aspen started posting videos on his website and linking them up here. The first thing he was doing was demoing the unit as a PA. I went to the Amp Show here in LA last October to find out about this amp and he was set up with two guitars, keys and bass all going through the SS as a PA. Both guitarists were singing using a vocal effects box as well. Everything was going into a mixer and the stereo outs went to the SS. Sounded very good.

Here's a link to his video page:

http://www.centerpointstereo.com/videos.php

Notice that the majority of the vids are using it as a PA, using it as a keyboard amp alone is a very good function but it's great as a PA too. One of the vids is me trying it out to see if I wanted to buy one. The best way to listen to these vids is to put on some good headphones and crank it up.

I haven't said this lately in this thread because I figured I've said enough already but...this is the best amp I've ever had and I'm about to have a Craigslist sale of my other amps. Others are now agreeing with that too. This thing is a genuine, for real, major advance in stage amplification.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I've read this but, it says of course you can use two but, the effect might be diminished.

So, I'm trying to see if anyone has tried anything else,experimented with two.

By spacing? such as at distances? Other?..It does say if you are using for different information,Such as vocals in one and instruments in the another. It seems most feedback

Here has more to do with small/med.indoor venues more w/ keyboardist or individuals.

So, NO one has tried two in any form? This is what I am after.

I need for a larger outdoors gig enough power to do the job.

I find it hard to believe this possible w one of these. No worries for the smaller

Indoor jobs. Based on what I have looked at thus far.

Maybe it needs more time and it looks like most here are only using one.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for all your input!

Trevor

I have a QSC KW181 for larger jobs and an Ev ZXA1 sub for smaller events.

That's covered. But you still need the coverage/power/ distance

On tops and mids.

*Non the less, I am excited to get this.

Should be fun to explore what it can do.

Aspen has been very patient with me and my emails and has gone beyond

What most company support teams have ever done for me. And he's one guy!?

That says alot! How he keeps up is beyond me.

I hope he gets sleep! :roll:

rickp and I have been chatting about the SS and pairing it with bass combo amp.

Here's a pic of my current config. I went stealth on it - took off the huge garish GK logo off the MB112, and then decided to shoot the SS grille black with minuscule gold flakes.

Apologies for the junk in the background - bachelor housekeeping at its finest.

img_12691.jpg

Another bar gig tonight with the SSv3, and the Behringer BD1200-D below. Very tight quarters, as usual. The sub is making me more confident to hammer big resonant octaves on low notes. Boy do they have presence now!

The acoustics were weird for the bandmembers, as we 5 of us were packed into a stage designed for 2 or 3. Evil tetris again, but was able to orient the amp so no one got the side-firing blast.

Bandmember #1 (drummer) said he could hear me fine, loving it. Bandmember #2 (guitar) said I was too loud, couldn't hear himself. Bandmember #3 (guitar) said he couldn't hear me at all, wished I would turn up.. And bandmember #4 (bass) said it was perfect.

Audience spies said it all sounded just great to them, as usual. Probably due to the tight packing on stage.

None of that really mattered though, as I loved the way I sounded. At the end of the day, that's what really matters, doesn't it?

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Here's a pic of my current config. I went stealth on it - took off the huge garish GK logo off the MB112, and then decided to shoot the SS grille black with minuscule gold flakes.

img_12691.jpg

Really like the all-black look you've got going here. Maybe I'll do something similar.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

img_12691.jpg

What model Shoei is that? I have an RF1100 that I really like.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The KW181 will sound much better than the 300 dollar B1200D.

I prefer less stage volume so the FOH can crank me up in the mains more.

Just buy the SSv3 before they decide to increase the price to only a few hundred below the cost of 2 x inefficient powered cabs.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Front of house? I would be using this as a part of or my pa. I have

A duo with backing tracks. So, are you playing all music through yours or just

Your instrument? I am having a hard time trying to figure out

How I want to set this up?

I have 4 speakers cva28's I use two for most gigs and a sub,either

The Ev zxa1 or the kw181 for larger events and 2 more of the cva28's

So, i have this and I am trying to figure out do I want to

Add the SS somewhere in this or use it on it's own w a sub?

I have some experimenting to do. I also have a pair of cheap

Behringer powered euro 8/horns I 've used for monitors.

I would love for at least small gigs to use just a sub and the

SS to cover the gig.

I have one coming. Soon.

Tim,

In reviewing the GK 112 II, I see it has 1 input, 1 DI out, and 1 chain out. Also, while I see 4 band EQ, I see no mention of a crossover. Since the SS is stereo in, I'm wondering how you hook up the GK & SS? Mixer to GK to SS? Are you splitting the signal out of the GK into the SS? How do you maintain L&R channel? I looked but couldn't find any mention of how you're doing it.

The B1200D looks very straightforward, and the price is right, but...I've heard many GK bass amps and I really like their sound. I'm sure the KW181 sounds great, but at 4+x the cost of both the above, it just isn't an option.

"May you stay...forever young."

The KW181 will sound much better than the 300 dollar B1200D.

I prefer less stage volume so the FOH can crank me up in the mains more.

Don't be too dismissive of the Behringer, it actually sounds great with the SS. I'm running keys -> Behringer -> SS... Sounds great!

I have one of these coming for review. Excited to run some Hammond through it! :)

I'm Pretty sure you're gonna like it..! :-)

What model Shoei is that? I have an RF1100 that I really like.

Hey, Dan, it's an X-eleven. Man I love that lid. Started with Arai but found I really had a Shoei head. The X-eleven has great ventilation, is relatively light, quieter than the Arai. Highly recommended!

Tim,

In reviewing the GK 112 II, I see it has 1 input, 1 DI out, and 1 chain out. Also, while I see 4 band EQ, I see no mention of a crossover. Since the SS is stereo in, I'm wondering how you hook up the GK & SS? Mixer to GK to SS? Are you splitting the signal out of the GK into the SS? How do you maintain L&R channel? I looked but couldn't find any mention of how you're doing it.

The B1200D looks very straightforward, and the price is right, but...I've heard many GK bass amps and I really like their sound. I'm sure the KW181 sounds great, but at 4+x the cost of both the above, it just isn't an option.

So I go Kronos into SS, sub out to the GK. I don't use a crossover, just dial off the GK's Highs and Mid Highs completely, and trim back the Mid Lows a little. Lows stay at 12 o'clock. I then use the Direct Out off the GK as mono to FOH (remember to engage the "pre" switch so FOH is getting raw signal before GK's EQ).

If FOH wanted stereo, I'd use my Radial JDI duplex.

Not using a mixer for this config, using Kronos' audio ins to mix in the top board (Nord Wave).

So unlike using a dedicated sub or an external crossover, I'm just using the bass amp for that "lower octave support" from the full-range summed pass through (the SS's sub out).

It sounds great - huge, warm, loud. No more farting, hair or crapping out. Synth bass is wicked. And the GK is less than 30 lbs.

How does the bass combo sound compaired to something like the behringer?

Does it push enough air?

I like that look with the all black.

I've never used the Behringer or any other sub, so can't comment on that.

I can say this - this combo certainly pushes enough air for my applications. These range from acoustic solo piano gigs to jazz trios and sextets to 10-piece funk bands with 3 horns. It's the latter configs (all electric, synth bass, can get really loud) that the SS alone was over-matched for the patches I was using and volume I needed.

The GK seems to have solved all that. I only say "seems" because it was just delivered and I haven't gigged it extensively. But the two gigs I've had so far, yes, it definitely pushes enough air to keep me front and center if necessary. That GK is really a beast, I'm so glad I got the 200w MB112 instead of the 100w MB110 I was considering.

Also, I'm really digging the all-black. The un-logo'd Death Star look keeps the amp combo looking consistent and upscale, at least for my tastes.

Tim,

So I go Kronos into SS, sub out to the GK. I don't use a crossover, just dial off the GK's Highs and Mid Highs completely, and trim back the Mid Lows a little. Lows stay at 12 o'clock. I then use the Direct Out off the GK as mono to FOH (remember to engage the "pre" switch so FOH is getting raw signal before GK's EQ).

If FOH wanted stereo, I'd use my Radial JDI duplex.

Not using a mixer for this config, using Kronos' audio ins to mix in the top board (Nord Wave).

So unlike using a dedicated sub or an external crossover, I'm just using the bass amp for that "lower octave support" from the full-range summed pass through (the SS's sub out).

It sounds great - huge, warm, loud. No more farting, hair or crapping out. Synth bass is wicked. And the GK is less than 30 lbs.

Thank you, Sir.

"May you stay...forever young."

img_12691.jpg

The B1 bomber of sound . . .

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

theGman--

I like the brushed metal grille, but if I was going to paint it, I would lightly sand it first.

I gigged the ss3 last night with a rock band as my on-stage kbd monitor. I raised it off the ground, it was loud enough, and the sound guy said the kbds "sure sound good."

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.