Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I ordered another SS and I am going to try this for larger outdoors jobs.

I think you should buy six and set them up in a surround sound configuration.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I play guitar as well, and enjoyed hearing about your setup and experience. I've used the SSv3 with an axe-fx with great results. Not to veer off into guitar land, but the CPS takes awhile to wrap your head around the possibilities. There's nothing out there remotely like it.Maybe you could start a Kemper/CPS forum? Let me/us know if you do......

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Sorry I thought this could be a place

To get answers i wont ask anymore questions

It is

you seem new here, so if you read other threads or stick around you will find there is a sense of humor here that's not mean or cruel.

You seem to have edited some of your posts, so now we cannot see what your question was, so how can some one help you?

I know it would be a bear to read all 80 pages, but I am sure your issues have been broached many times, plus Aspen has a wonderful FAQ or , you could PM him your question/s.

This is a community of diverse and like minded people who will help.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Sorry I thought this could be a place

To get answers i wont ask anymore questions

You better have a sense of humor if you dare to troll these waters.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Okay, here's something I was thinking about that I don't think has been covered in this thread yet:

For live use in a band, what about bleed-through into other stage mics? One advantage of using a PA speaker is the directional nature of the sound which prevents the stage volume from bleeding into vocal, drum, etc. microphones when it is placed correctly. With the SS and it's "enveloping" nature of its sound distribution pattern, wouldn't that cause some issues with other microphones picking up the keyboardists stage volume? I know my band has fought with these issues for a long time now, especially with drum mics picking up bass amp and the vocal mics picking up the guitar amp.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

"I'll just look and not get involved here"

Sorry to chime in, but you have to toughen up a tad. You asked some questions and from what i could see you got responses not only from users but from the gear inventor himself. Kind of silly to pout about not getting helped.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Back to cases for this little beast--I almost bought that rolling SKB case but I really don't like cases that are such a tight fit that users mention it so I kept looking. SInce I don't really have long distances to go for most of my gigs and since I usually have some young people (waiters mostly) to help load in and out (thanks to my grey hair--see other thread), I ordered an LP UltraTek padded Cajon bag with carrying straps. it was only $59. Let's wait till it shows up to see if it's worth recommending. I mainly want it for loading into my car without worrying that the SS3 will get scratched.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

FWIW, my skb case has loosened up a bit with repeated use. It used to take five or six mumbled "m*therf*cker!!"s to get it out of the case, now it only takes two.

Thanks a lot. I blew water all over my keyboard AND bit my tongue on that one.

I see the makings of a new thread here: "How many mumbled 'm*therf*cker!!'s does it take to..."

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I just went with the cover and it works fine for me, but I load and move my own gear.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Not going with a case for mine. The exterior looks pretty darn tough. I see my SSv3 as a battle-scarred veteran in a few years: beer rings, cigarette burns, scuffs, small grill dents -- the works!

Adds to its persona that way. And far fewer mumbled profanities.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The reason I'm using a case, even though I load my own gear, is the knobs protrude a bit off the back. Too easy to snap one off if something slides in the van. That tote I got from Home Depot works perfect and has room for the power cord and a pair of 15' 1/4" cables I zip tied together to make a stereo pair.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Since the topic's come up again...

I was going to wait until I received mine, but I found [url:http://www.studioslips.com/selected_model.php?ManID=871&CabID=7702]this custom amp cover company[/url] in LA.

They already have the Spacestation measurements although I've added sliders to my feet to make it easier to move around and they will accommodate any variation. I've ordered the horizontal "briefcase" style because I won't have to lift my arm as high. They will make it vertical and have the hole open for the top handle, if you'd rather have that.

Should be here in about 2 weeks & I'll post. I want this amp to last. The Behringer B1200D? Well, kick that around and there's more where that came from, if you know what I mean.

Here for the gear.

DB, what's your approach to running the SS FOH?The soundman (we call him sandman, sometimes sleeps at the board) want's to mike the SS but I'm thinking running direct.
Direct is the only way, IMO - I'm thinking you probably don't want him miking the front and side and then splitting that L/R....:idk:
If you were silly enough to mic the speakers, the correct way to use them is as a Mid-Side array. That is, you'd use a MS->LR decoder at FOH, if FOH is running stereo. If FOH is running mono, then ignore the side speaker, just mic the front. But of course, go direct unless you're nuts, and if you're sending to FOH, send before the SS3 (use the Thru jacks on your stereo DI.)

Just a question unknown: On using two units, What happens if you were to send out of a mixer To one SS left in and send the right out to another SS on it's right input?

I wonder how that would work?

That would be sort of a waste of the SS3. First, I don't know what it does if you plug in only one side. But just for fun, assuming it works the same as plugging in two (or, if you plug disconnected plugs into the unused sides, which would make it work that way), here's what should happen.

Here's what would happen if the speakers aren't very close together.

On the left speaker, the front would emit the left side feed from the mixer. Its side speaker would emit that as well (assuming it's an L-R mid-side array). Anyone near that speaker wouldn't hear stereo.

On the right speaker, the front would emit the right side feed from the mixer. Its side speaker would emit that, but inverted. Anyone near that speaker wouldn't hear stereo, but might hear some strange phase cancellation effects, especially if it's near a wall to the side that the side speaker is on.

Now, if the speakers are fairly close together, it gets more complicated, because of the way the two Side speakers would combine, out of phase due to the distance between them. This is really not how they're supposed to work. Oddly enough, though, for some sounds like organs with a Leslie clone, it might sound nifty.

Regardless, you'd really be better off using just the front speaker on each side, or frankly, using something other than the SS3, for this kind of operation.

Oh, there is maybe one other option: stacking the two, one atop the other. If you do this, use Y cables to send both L and R to both speakers.

Of course, Raymb1's answer is better, coming from the horse's mouth.

Since I lay the SS on it's side on an amp stand, I took off the rubber feet from the bottom of the SS. Fits easily into the SKB case now.
Seems to me that laying it on its side would defeat the stereo image, unless you turn your head sideways. Do you set it with the side speaker facing up?

I just went with the cover and it works fine for me, but I load and move my own gear.

I should add that I installed metal corners top-bottom-back-front for protection, and I always place the cover's logo over the protruding knobs (baffling design "feature") so I don't lay the amp down in the car the wrong way and have to spend five minutes cursing broken-off controls when I unpack.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

I use this for a case for the SSV..... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K10Tote?adpos=1o1&creative=55686218521&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CPu6ypzP9sQCFaVm7AodKR4AQg

Fits perfectly, has a side pocket for the cord and wedge, and gives pretty good protection.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I always place the cover's logo over the protruding knobs (baffling design "feature") so I don't lay the amp down in the car the wrong way and have to spend five minutes cursing broken-off controls when I unpack.

Call it an old school habit but we were always taught to transport cabinets with the speaker side facing down. Probably from Econoline Vans bouncing along gravel roads.

Here for the gear.

The front of the SS is facing up at almost a 45 degree angle. The sound is still great and the bassist or drummer doesn't get mostly the side firing speaker at him. There are others on the forum who have done the same thing with good results.

P.S. This is the stand some of us are using: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gator-Combo-Amp-Stand-J13863-i3901899.gc

Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

I always place the cover's logo over the protruding knobs (baffling design "feature") so I don't lay the amp down in the car the wrong way and have to spend five minutes cursing broken-off controls when I unpack.

Call it an old school habit but we were always taught to transport cabinets with the speaker side facing down. Probably from Econoline Vans bouncing along gravel roads.

I agree, but if you don't put the cover on the same way every time, it's harder to tell which way to facedown the amp in the transport.