Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

The sound to me is closer to a surround sound rather than stereo. You don't hear a left and right channel. You need to be about 6 feet away from the SS to hear what the audience hears. As a monitor it doesn't matter how close you are to the SS.
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

So for people who actually own one (beside spazzkey), is it loud enough for a Rock band in a medium sized club or not? In three contexts:

1.as monitor and out to FOH

2.as primary amp without FOH

3.as primary amp without FOH with sub out to powered speaker.

(my guess would be yes to 1 and 3)

Someone here is selling one as he claims it is not loud enough. Yes, I know stereo makes it seem louder....

"re loudness - the dead tribute band I play in likes it really loud... even without the sub my SS can be painfully loud - and with the sub no contest... I've been asked to turn it down, don't think I've ever turned it up beyond 2, 12 being at the top and 5 max..." -spazzkey

"So if what you really want is to go loudness for loudness against a marshall half, and your patches are mostly mono (or you don't really care if they're stereo or not), I'd strongly suggest a powered speaker and a line out to the board rather than this cool but idiosyncratic box" -mathofinsects

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

So is it loud enough for a Rock band or not? Someone here is selling one as he claims it is not loud enough. Yes, I know stereo makes it seem louder....

"re loudness - the dead tribute band I play in likes it really loud... even without the sub my SS can be painfully loud - and with the sub no contest... I've been asked to turn it down, don't think I've ever turned it up beyond 2, 12 being at the top and 5 max..." -spazzkey

"So if what you really want is to go loudness for loudness against a marshall half, and your patches are mostly mono (or you don't really care if they're stereo or not), I'd strongly suggest a powered speaker and a line out to the board rather than this cool but idiosyncratic box" -mathofinsects

It depends on how loud your rock band is and how aggressive your sound is... It is hard to imagine a single 8 inch speaker overcoming a Marshall stack whether in mono or stereo mode. Physics are physics. Personally, my sound is very aggressive Hammond organ that needs a lot of bottom end.

I tried to dial in that sound at NAMM to see if the SS3 could handle it. Unfortunately I was unable to do it in the time allotted. It's hard to believe that the SS3 could achieve that sound above the din of the rest of the band. I would like to see if it could. Up to this point not one member has posted a video recorded from the back of a club in a hard rock, non-FOH supported situation. That would be interesting.

I am very pleased with the sound of my rig as is.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

So is it loud enough for a Rock band or not? Someone here is selling one as he claims it is not loud enough. Yes, I know stereo makes it seem louder....

It depends on how loud your rock band is and how aggressive your sound is... It is hard to imagine a single 8 inch speaker overcoming a Marshall stack whether in mono or stereo mode. Physics are physics. Personally, my sound is very aggressive Hammond organ that needs a lot of bottom end.

I tried to dial in that sound at NAMM to see if the SS3 could handle it. Unfortunately I was unable to do it in the time allotted. It's hard to believe that the SS3 could achieve that sound above the din of the rest of the band. I would like to see if it could. Up to this point not one member has posted a video recorded from the back of a club in a hard rock, non-FOH supported situation. That would be interesting.

I'd like to see that video as well! sorry, was still editing when you posted.

Ok, it's not my favorite performance by any means, but here's one of my groups the ZuZu Men doing Cold Sweat. There is a TINY bit of my organ in the house, but it's almost nothing the sound you're hearing is basically from the stage (just my SK1 and the SS3) from the second balcony, maybe 60 feet back, shot with an iPhone.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Lol--though I never went to SDSU, personally, I was raised a few blocks away. Montezuma Elementary and then Hardy Elementary, then Horace Mann Jr High, then Crawford High (played drums in the award-winning jazz band--think Whiplash without the fear and pain). I moved away in '73 but moved back in the '90s. My best-known bands were The Twinkies (72-73) and then in the 2000's JAZZOOO, a great trio with Duncan Moore and Ken Dow. My brother is Andy Robinson, drummer for the once well-known prog rock group Horsefeathers.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Very slightly in the house system--I told him I wanted it 95% acoustic. We were pretty loud, not arena rock loud but rockin enough for 350

people. I was at 11o clock volume in the amp, could have turned up but it felt ok to me.

Sounds loud enough to me! Was this just the SS on stage (no sub out)?

Jazzoo, love your silky stylings there, very hip - closer to blues v jazz (which is ergo closer to rock, which is closer to me :)!)

how do you know FOH wasn't boosting you .. how can you tell? your guitarist, drummer and bass are about 30% vol of my obnoxious rocker pals I fight for air with. I sorta lose you a bit when those horns kick in.

which is a pity, you're obviously the talent in that crew.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Ok, it's not my favorite performance by any means, but here's one of my groups the ZuZu Men doing Cold Sweat. There is a TINY bit of my organ in the house, but it's almost nothing the sound you're hearing is basically from the stage (just my SK1 and the SS3) from the second balcony, maybe 60 feet back, shot with an iPhone.

I am very impressed! , no problem hearing every note from the keyboard AT ALL - praise the Lord! :) .

Brett

I am very impressed! , no problem hearing every note from the keyboard AT ALL - praise the Lord! :) .

Brett

Great Playing! Very tasty...

Unfortunately, we need to hear/see an example of someone NOT in the house system. Jazzoo said he was "slightly" in the house system. That's like being "Slightly" pregnant.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

"Slightly Pregnant" :D

I read him as being an honest guy. We will see if anymore video's come on board....

Brett

I am not insinuating that he is not honest. In fact, he is being extremely honest by revealing that the SS3 was in the house system at all.

I want to hear a video of a Deep Purple tribute band using an un-amplified SS3! (Hammonddave = "Official Keyboard Corner Cynic"... and proud of it.)

Let me preface this by saying I am in no way trying to suggest you replace your rig, especially if you're already very happy with it. Just want to point out that there's more than just one 8" speaker in front of the SS3 -- it's a coaxial that's driven by two amps (I believe), plus there's another supertweeter driven by a third amp. Then there's another 100w amp pushing the side speaker. And it can all be made extremely more efficient by adding a subwoofer to offload the power-hungry sub-100-hz duties onto. Obviously even with a sub it won't keep up with your larger and louder sound systems; but there are a lot of pieces pushing air around, so it's easy to see how the SS3 can be louder than it looks like it should be.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Aww, that sound sweeeet. Keys cut through very nicely. That was shot on an iPhone?!

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

@ motifdave . If jazzoo clip was at a level of only 30percent of your rock band then maybe you need a bigger more powerful amp . There is no question that it's not perfect for everyone .

But for a demo of how this amp holds its own in a blues/rock scenario that was pretty cool

This amp is not designed to be blasting ... it is designed for SOUND quality...

NO amp/ speaker, that size is designed to deal with idiot guitar player Marshall stacks.

My only question is can this SS be made to be significantly louder... and by what means.

But I thank the creator of it, for this amp.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

My only question is can this SS be made to be significantly louder... and by what means.

Make EVERYBODY else turn down .....

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

You guys are a tough crowd :-) I just grabbed the video that came closest to satisfying curiosity. Thanks for the kind words about my plane, too. I know the soundman didn't boost me because he worked for me: I had done a show with him the week before and I hired him for this concert because the theater sound people are so awful. My production, and I'm kind of a control freak about sounding good. The only reason I went through the system at all was that he had a signal to feed to another videographer who was taking a mix of the board.

The reason I let myself be overshadowed when the horns were playing was that I could hear that they were a couple of semi tones flat and thought it would be best if I laid way back while the horns were in their mouths.

As for me being the "talent" in that band, it's not quite accurate. That's Rick Shlosser on drums who has played and toured extensively with Van Morrison, Bonnie Raitt, James Taylor and dozens of others. And the guitarist is quite the mindblower, though he was pretty sick that night and turned in fine but low-key performance. I'm going to post some other videos in the "let's hear it" thread that feature him and me doing simultaneous jazz improvisation, which is pretty mind blowing stuff in my opinion.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com