Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Fantastic support on this site! I just got my SSv.3 yesterday - I spent a couple of hours with it last night trying various settings etc.

I have some questions that have popped up and rather than repeat what's probably already been asked and answered elsewhere in this thread, I started going through every page on this thread - I made it up to page 12 and I've learned a lot, but I can't make it through another 80 pages to get my answer, so I'm asking here - my apologies if it is repetitious.

My primary reason for getting the SS was for the glowing reviews I've read about how it recreates a Leslie so well - the swirling effects that seem to fill the room. I have a Hammond SK1 (along with a Korg SV1) - after excitedly plugging in my Hammond directly into the SS and dialing up one of my favorite B3 patches, I was "disappointed" to hear little to no difference between the SS and my KC - very little "stereo, room filling effects." I am convinced I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Playing EP's with FX gave me a taste of what this thing can do - I was very impressed with the spatial fill on the EP's. After I learned to back off the Width control, I found a nice balance for AP's as well.

BUT, the reason I got the SS was for the Leslie effects - based on some of the posts I've read, it sounds like perhaps messing with the L/R pans, etc., might be something I'm missing. I didn't think I would have to mess with the source keyboard settings however, so I'm a bit stumped. I notice a little difference with the Width cranked up to 3 or 4 o'clock, but no sense of a stereo swirling sound - very mono'ish sounding. I have not tried using my Ventilator on this yet - perhaps that may create different results.

So, particularly for any of you SK1 owners (and/or Vent owners, if you have any specific suggestions for me to get the most out of the SS for organ patches I would greatly appreciate it.

do you have the audio set to stereo out on the SK1?

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

SPACESTATION NOT JUST FOR PIANO]

Played my first SpaceStation gig yesterday. Wow what fidelity and clarity. During sound check the bass player turned to me and said I never heard your piano so clear before.

This is a pretty amazing little box that Mr. Pittman has developed.

I also double on Dobro on a few tunes. I messed with the Dobro Keyboard SpaceStation combo at home via keyboard in jacks and I liked what I heard. At the gig (outdoors) I had my Dobro amp along for the ride, but I never even set it up. Keys and Dobe sounded magnificent.

I cant recall any product on any topic in this board, or any other board that has garnered so much praise.

http://i.imgur.com/Z5e465G.jpg

Slats8: If your SK1's audio output is set to stereo, then the only thing I can think of limiting a great rotary organ sound out of your v.3 would be that you are positioning yourself (your ears) too close to the amp. Get it away from and/or behind you by at least 5 feet. If you are already doing that and are still not hearing a great rotary organ sound, not sure what else the problem might be....

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

Has/should anyone tried vocals with keyboard in this unit?

I have a medium size gig sitting in with another band and am wondering if I should use the SS3 instead of my K10.

The hookups on the K10 are so easy (mike and a keyboard) and proven...

would prefer to use just one amp.

Slats8: If your SK1's audio output is set to stereo, then the only thing I can think of limiting a great rotary organ sound out of your v.3 would be that you are positioning yourself (your ears) too close to the amp. Get it away from and/or behind you by at least 5 feet. If you are already doing that and are still not hearing a great rotary organ sound, not sure what else the problem might be....

Same here. My leslie sim on the Nord sounds wonderful to my ears, even when I'm close to the unit. Maybe dig deeper into the leslie settings? Try it with your vent? It's pretty much plug and go with no diddling around.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

OK, yet another SSv3 story.

I'm not a session guy, but occasionally I get a call to fill in for a recording given our low-rent local scene. We're talking living-room studios, really basic stuff, nothing fancy. It ain't for the money. The guy offered to run my boards through a Fender guitar amp. I gracefully declined.

I show up with the SSv3, and the recording guy is like WTF? I try to explain, but he's just not buying it. So I hand him a mono out from the back of the SSv3, and he's happy. Keyboard complexity boiled down to a single cable.

Since we were doing semi-live recording, the SSv3 gets picked up on all the mics to some degree. Not exactly a pristine stereo mix, but good enough. And when he played back the recording, I had plenty of pseudo-stereo effects to cover myself -- leslie, chorus, etc. Not exactly studio quality, but good enough for rock and roll ...

Just another reason to luv this little box :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

All replies here have been excellent...so I am baffled as to the cause of your "mostly mono" result".

Double check your L&R cables, if one is weak you will get a mono result...they MUST be of equal level or the sum & difference matrix will not work. You can also just try unplugging either one and see what happens.

The SS3 stereo image is anything but subtle...you should be well impressed, especially w/ a Leslie sim...as witnessed by many here on this thread.

So IMHO it is like 99% there is something wrong w/ A) your "stereo" signal source or B) your cables. I am no expert on your KB, but many here have already chimed in on that universal "stereo/mono" setting, but you have ruled that out.

One test I always recommend first before jumping to "faulty unit" conclusions; play a well recorded stereo MP3 or CD track using alternate stereo cables (my reference is Steely Dan Babylon Sisters). Set Width, MF and HF levels @ 12 o'clock....then set level to appropriate listening level for you venue....and walk around...get at least 6-10 feet away and off axis", like 45 degrees at least.

If you still hear little or no difference b/w Width off/on...then you have a faulty unit...but it would be the very first with this issue.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Has/should anyone tried vocals with keyboard in this unit?

Check out this video we shot of David Morgan singing one of my favorite songs that he wrote; This Side of the Dirt".

David was Ricky Nelson's band leader and sang harmonies with him, was also in the Association and is one of my favorite LA area vocalists, as well as quite the piano man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB2q6TIISJk

(NOTE: you can skip the boring intro and get right to the performance...starts around the 2:00 mark.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

In regard to vocals,I have had the SS only four days and used it with arranger keyboards and vocals. In fact I also do a Karaoke show and used the SS for the backing tracks and singers. I and the other singers were very pleased at the accuracy and spaciousness of both.

I should note that I find a sub desirable for more rocking music. In my case, I have an old Logitech Z2300 sub that I stacked with the SS. Works great.

Bernie

I have used an SSv.2 and now an SSv.3 for years and over 300 gigs. I have never felt the need for a case to protect the amp's structure or surface. Aspen builds a tough unit (in fact, I just sold my v.2 and the buyer commented on how good the condition was, beyond character-building little scuffs and nicks).

But I always felt that protecting the rear knobs (dials) was important. I didn't want to sheer them off or have them pushed in. I cheaply fashioned and have used a DIY protector "system" from black display board (the sandwiched styrofoam-center kind available for $7/sq. yd. at Walmart) and Velcro. See photos.

Note that I affixed some stick-um felt chair-leg cushions along the the outside edges of the protector board. This was to "lift" the board away from resting on (putting pressure on) the amp's slightly raised knobs."

Again, over 300 gigs now and there's been no knob damage, despite always a tightly packed vehicle.

I'm sure there are those among you who could design better or would want to use heavier duty materials.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Mike_Voiland/SStation/ssv.3_protector1_zpseb4ltb6s.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Mike_Voiland/SStation/ssv.3_protector2_zpssbmz8oyc.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Mike_Voiland/SStation/ssv.3_protector3_zpsvebaqjn4.jpg

www.mikemickxer.com

Last night I played a gig with the New Orleans flavored blues and rock band, and it was the first time that I felt a little underpowered without a sub. Standing out in the crowd, however, it was a different story. Perfect full keyboard sound. Even a little too loud in fact.

The problem was the positioning of the amp, as I was on stage left in the corner. It was very cramped so I was only a foot and a half away from the amp which was angled up in the corner, and I was getting way too much of the side speaker in my right ear so I kept turning down. And then I would turn down and feel like I wasn't being heard and turn back up again.

When I was playing on The same stage but in the other side a few weeks ago, about the same volume, I had no problems. But I also wasn't right on top of the amp.

One important conclusion is that if you're too close to the amp, specifically to the side firing speaker, you will feel as if you're too loud and turn yourself down At which point you will feel underpowered. So don't do that :-)

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

"So IMHO it is like 99% there is something wrong w/ A) your "stereo" signal source or B) your cables. I am no expert on your KB, but many here have already chimed in on that universal "stereo/mono" setting, but you have ruled that out."

Thanks for the reply's - I do not believe the SS unit is faulty given that I am able to get the "spacious 3D effect" on the Electric Piano patches. I also believe the stereo settings are correct on the SK1, again, given that I am clearly achieving stereo sound on the EP's from my board and I have physically verified it on the board. I have also tried different cables and ran the SK through my Ventilator as well with the same results.

Last night, I used the SS for practice with my band - the space is fairly small, roughly 20' by 20'. Musicians included myself, 2 guitarists, bass, and drums. I had the SS sitting about 6 feet directly behind me on the floor and slightly tilted up. I had it at a volume that was easily heard by me. After playing several songs I asked my bandmates their impressions - all but the guitarist playing right next to me said they could not hear my keys. I think if I had turned it up much more I would have overpowered the lead guitarist playing next to me (a rare situation indeed!).

Consequently, I am stumped. I REALLY want to report the same results of elation that others have expressed, but I'm having reservations. The issues with a lack of the whole stereo rotary experience and stage volume are concerning to me - perhaps it is just my individual tastes and preferences with sound, etc., but outside of the awesome expansive EP Rhodes sound, I am not seeing a lot of advantages of the unit over other options I've used. Since I ordered from Sweetwater I have 30 days to continue to assess - I'll be practicing with my other band on Monday (an 11 piece blues band with horns)and have a gig next week. I'm determined to give this box every chance and I'll be trying it out in those situations as well. Hopefully, I can report back with positive results.

Please know that my hope in posting on this thread is not to stir up any negativity or controversy, I am honestly just trying to reach out to the musician community for any help/suggestions/thoughts. I particularly want to express my gratitude to Aspen for his professionalism and beyond excellent customer support by directly offering up his thoughts/feedback on this site (and others). That alone makes supporting the SS all the more important to me.

"After playing several songs I asked my bandmates their impressions - all but the guitarist playing right next to me said they could not hear my keys. I think if I had turned it up much more I would have overpowered the lead guitarist playing next to me (a rare situation indeed!). "

It's really a perspective thing in this case--you thought you'd have overpowered the guitarist, but you wouldn't have. Trust the ears of the others who said you weren't loud enough. Did the guitarist say you were too loud? Was he standing on the side of the side firing speaker?

I'm going back to setting up a cymbal case or something just off the side of the amp on that side next time I'm in that situation. Works well.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

maybe you have a different expectation? The leslie won't swirl from left to right, it will just sound a lot more expansive. You can simulate it by turning the width off- that'll be just the center field. Then turn the width up and you'll hear the 3d type effect come on.

I expected it to pan left and right along with some of my samples I use in the Floyd band and then realized it's not set up to do that.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

DanL: That is correct. One won't get that alternating L - R stereo sound from the v.3 (that you would if you were using two mono amps --- one powering the L kb output and the other powering the R kb output--- AND if one was positioned in the stereo "sweet spot." With the v.3, it's an expansive stereo effect, which one can sense/appreciate when in the room, especially when walking around......

www.mikemickxer.com

Yes, but what a glorious few seconds they were!!

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

I recieved my SS V3 last Friday and Behringer B1200D-PRO subwoofer on Wednesday. I love how the sound fills the room so evenly (i.e., I recorded myself using a USB stick with the CP4 so I could walk around while the CP4 played the recording). Being engulfed in the sound while playing reminds me of the acoustic piano and Leslie experiences -- it's inspiring. I'm sure the SS will be fine for most gigs and I'll add the B1200D for jazz organ gigs where I play LH bass (and leave my heavy chopped Leslie 145 at home!). Thanks to all on this post for sharing your experiences. When I bought a pair of RCF TT08s less than a year ago I was sure that my amplification needs would be satisfied for a long time. So, it was hard to rationalize the SS purchase, but I'm glad I did.

Please know that my hope in posting on this thread is not to stir up any negativity or controversy, I am honestly just trying to reach out to the musician community for any help/suggestions/thoughts.

We get it, no problem, and believe me when I say we are also trying to help. I guess there are many folks here as stumped with your comments as I am!

The fact that your EP seem to catch the CPS wave, but the Leslie sims not so much, is VERY curious to me. This has always been the patch that raises everyone's eyebrows. Our CPS Leslie sim is amazing, there should be no lack of good impression there.

Have you tried playing a Leslie loop, even a CD thru it w/ a strong Leslie presence, then walking around the room for a listen? Or, have you tried a Leslie sim from another source like a Vent, or another KB?

While we have not had a faulty SS3 with this complaint yet, anything is possible so I'd like to eliminate that possibility. So "substitution" of cables, sound source, or another KB (or a vent) w/ a good Leslie sim could help narrow down the problem.

If after you try the above without any improvement, we may have to conclude there is something faulty with your SS3. IN that case, I will discuss exchanging units directly from here...or if you prefer a SW exchange I will help with that as well.