Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Hi cedar,

had the same problem. I didn't notice it during rehearsal but it was annoying in my homestudio (quite room).

I contacted Aspen and he send me a replacement power amp board (it seems that one of the 4 digital amps is oscillating).

Now my SS3 is dead quiet (just the normal amp hiss) !

maybe that helps,

regards

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I have that little buzz in my music room. Couldn't find the cause. When I moved the SS to another room the buzz was gone. I'll have to live with buzz though, since my wife won't let me move my stuff to another room!
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

Hi cedar,

had the same problem. I didn't notice it during rehearsal but it was annoying in my homestudio (quite room).

I contacted Aspen and he send me a replacement power amp board (it seems that one of the 4 digital amps is oscillating).

Now my SS3 is dead quiet (just the normal amp hiss) !

maybe that helps,

regards

Markus

Thanks. I just sent Aspen a PM about this. (I hope he checks PMs.)

I use the Humx by Ebtech and it took away the noise.

I had quite a bit at times. It seems to pick up a lot of

Bad power issues and amplify them. I don't know.

But, I recommend it. I use two SS's (I sound like a snake)

And very quite now. Everywhere I play.

I mentioned before here but, in case it was missed in this novel.

What is best way to order this amp?

I live in San Diego County. I can drive north and get it directly?

Did you get one yet? :)
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Played a couple of outdoor gigs this past weekend & the SS was fantastic. I'll try to post some video.

Aspen I thought about you when I was watching an interview with Josh Groban. He said an entertainer gives the public what they expect & want, an artist gives them what they didn't expect & need.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

I have that little buzz in my music room. Couldn't find the cause. When I moved the SS to another room the buzz was gone. I'll have to live with buzz though, since my wife won't let me move my stuff to another room!

Was the buzz all the the time or only when playing? We had someone in the PX-5S Group who has that buzz when playing certain notes.. turned out to be the handle was vibrating when Eb was being played in a couple of octaves.

Just wanted to also add: Aspen and his daughter Autumn joined the PX-5S Group and helped troubleshoot this problem. Great family business. I can't really afford a SS amp right now, but I am putting it on my Christmas list. Everyone seems to love it and I really want to support a company that takes such good care of their customers.

Played a couple of outdoor gigs this past weekend & the SS was fantastic. I'll try to post some video.

Aspen I thought about you when I was watching an interview with Josh Groban. He said an entertainer gives the public what they expect & want, an artist gives them what they didn't expect & need.

While not especially into Mr Groban, I have new respect for him. His words are very wise.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Did you get one yet? :)

Of course not, I had just posted that a day ago!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I use the Humx by Ebtech and it took away the noise.

I had quite a bit at times. It seems to pick up a lot of

Bad power issues and amplify them. I don't know.

But, I recommend it. I use two SS's (I sound like a snake)

And very quite now. Everywhere I play.

I mentioned before here but, in case it was missed in this novel.

Can you ( if you already have, I missed it ) go into a little detail about:

how you use 2 SS's

, where you place them in relation to you, and one another

. what kind of music, the relative volume you play at

what instruments go into the SS's?

The website hints that 2 SS almost take away from the effect of a single SS.

The SS is on my radar

Thanks

I stack them with one set upside down using

A couple spacers

I Made out of 2" x 1" this is in theory

Keeps time alignment. I 'll be using it

Like this along with a sub this weekend

So I'll try to report my use.my thought

Is to have them slightly behind us

And pointed to the side just enough

For monitor. We use midi set up backing

With ac.guitar and electric guitar

Two vocals mainly wineries.inside,

I can get away with one small sub and

One SS. Btw,

The sound just gets fuller and bigger

With two and fills nice for outside or

Bigger rooms I like not hiding behind mains on

Stands and Tripping on floor monitors.

thanks for asking.i was hoping someone else

Would find interest in the idea

Was the buzz all the the time or only when playing?

I know you didn't ask me, but my buzz is on even when nothing is plugged into the amp. And it is quiet enough to go unnoticed while playing with other musicians.

I am going to experiment with moving the SS to different rooms and maybe try the Humx by Ebtech, mentioned a few posts up. Sounds like a useful device anyway.

Humx if it don't work you can return it.

Works for me.i don't work for them just

Like what it does and very small device.

I would get so much interference that

I swear I heard Neil Armstrong on the moon.

It's early, I know, but this

is surely the haiku opener

of the day.

Here for the gear.

The buzz is in my music room with nothing plugged into the SS. The buzz is gone when I move the SS to another room. The SS is quiet on all the gigs I've had so far. The Hum X makes no difference in the music room. I guess I'll have someone check out the wiring at some point.
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

My experience with buzzing in a particular room of a building is that possible that particular electrical circuit does not share the same "common" ground as the other parts of the building. One thing you could try is to use a ground lift on the SS in that particular room and see if that cures it. By ground lift I mean one of those 3 prong adapters that only has 2 prongs that go into the wall. This is of course just a test situation and you should never use your SS without the proper 3 prong plug that it came with, however if that cures the problem, then you know that that particular circuit in that room need some ground attention. If there are any electrictions out there please feel free to correct me if this is not correct or a potentially dangerous bit of advice. I would hate for someone to get a jolt

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Behringer Eurolive B-1200D PRO

Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

www.endlesssummertheband.com

The buzz is in my music room with nothing plugged into the SS. The buzz is gone when I move the SS to another room. The SS is quiet on all the gigs I've had so far. The Hum X makes no difference in the music room. I guess I'll have someone check out the wiring at some point.

Do you have any kind of dimmer switch or rheostat in the room? Ceiling fan with adjustable speed? Fluorescent lighting on the same circuit?

I was taught never to play with those 3 prong adapters on my equipment.

But I'm not a doctor.

Haha sorry, I thought you were in Van Nuys for some reason. In any case I'll set my 91208 to your 91340 and maybe come in the back way off the 210/118. :thu:

ahh - the kalifornians coming out of the woodwork.... grooovy... :boing:

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Sorry. Not every situation is the same. Hope you get it figured out.

Haha sorry, I thought you were in Van Nuys for some reason. In any case I'll set my 91208 to your 91340 and maybe come in the back way off the 210/118. :thu:

I see what you did there.

http://14bb18348568cf6c48ec-cde16cf5c35d33e882e13bbe648f334c.r8.cf2.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/californians.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, I've been swamped these last few days with the first APD deliveries of our new DT1 (Dual Top; vocal or instrument) mic and our PFM (magnetically attaching) steel mesh pop filters. I also have several APR recording projects going right now...just not enough hours in my day!

Yes, I do have just a few SS3 left in stock here in San Fernando (2.4 square miles of heaven surrounded by Los Angeles), after selling 4 over the weekend. And you can drive up, see the studio and pick one up most anytime.

I believe Sweetwater has been sold out for several weeks but is taking reservations and should soon be back in stock. Buying from them has several advantages like free financing, free freight and no tax if you are here with me in California, as it is shipped to you from out of state. They are also just great people without whom I could not have brought SS3 to market because they believed in me and backed my play (I love and highly recommend these guys!)

However, I expect our mother lode run in house any day now, maybe even this week still. Then I send most of these off to Sweetwater. So probably by the end of next week they will start shipping their reservations.

The price is the same from A&A or Sweetwater, $749 + $39 if you want the cover, and free freight anywhere in the USA. But as I said, if you are in California they do not have to charge you tax.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Had the similar experience with another early adopter a few months ago, his basement music room had a hum in it...but when he tried it in the living room it was dead quiet.

Turned out and the problem was with the room addition because the electrician didn't run a hard ground when they installed the AC boxes.

The SS3 has a very sensitive input gain stage, because much like a guitar amp it is capable of amplifying a lower level KB signal (-10dBu). However a powered PA monitor input is much LESS sensitive because it is designed for use a line mixer level (+4dBu). That's why a SS3 may pick up any electromagnetic hash or noise in the room from a badly grounded AC line...which looks like what's happening here. This should not be a problem in a club or typical commercial venue.

Another tip is to use quality and matched L&R signal cables...I bet 90% of noise, poor tone and/or lack of stereo image has been "cured" by cable substitution.

The SS3 is far more sensitive to one weak or tired cable in the pair because our CPS matrix inhales L&R stereo signals and exhales Mid and Side sigals. In this process we combine them "out of phase" w/ each other to derive the "Sum (L+R) and Difference (L-R). So if one side is weaker than the other (because of a bad cable or connection) the "magic" goes away...and the image may appear mono, or can even distort and just sound bad. Yet the same cables plugged into a traditional stereo mixer may sound OK because this mismatch can be balanced and/or corrected with the channel's EQ and gain controls.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

No Dave, jeez. You tell your limo driver to just get you there and sit back and enjoy the ride with the girls. Don't let people know we're not all celebrities out here...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

On the other hand, to make things simpler , I could take the 134 to the 101, to the 405 and then to the 118 ..or the 134 to the 5, or the 134 to the 170 to the 5, and then get on the 118. :confused::D

It will take less time to walk to Dallas than to drive to there from Long Beach.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

For all of you following this great American novel and also considering a bass amp to use as the sub-woofer linked amp, FYI I have moved from a Promethean P3115 Combo bass amp (300 watts and 15" woofer, 39 lbs) to a Gallien-Kreuger MB110 bass combo (100 watts and 10" woofer, and 23 lbs).

The MB110 provides all the low grunt and additional volume that I need for 90% of my gigs.

Beyond the low frequency and volume benefits, I also switched to the MB110 because of its very low weight (I've had two lumbar micro-disc surgeries over the last 18 months) and its dimensions (the v.3 fits perfectly on top of it with enough clearance to reach the MB110's knobs).

At 43 lbs, the Behringer B1200D sub-woofer wasn't an option for me.

Both the G-K and the v.3 are packed in my vehicle for a gig, but I'll send a photo of them stacked vertically soon.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

I stack them with one set upside down ...
Do you reverse Left and Right on the upside down one?

If not, your Side channels will be 180 degrees out of phase, and the spacer won't help much unless it's REALLY long. Forget time alignment!

Frankly, based on how the SS3 works, I doubt time alignment is important at all, since it depends on that side channel being bounced around the room, so time alignment with *what*?

Folks say they use them outside, but my guess is that one would sound mono outside, when you're directly in front of the front facing speaker. As you circle around to either side, the stereo image will build until you're about 45 degrees off center, and then begin to collapse, disappearing when you're 90 degrees off center. That's assuming nothing for the sound to bounce off of, but of course there's always something.

Put one alone in the center of a wide open space, play some recorded material, circle around, and tell me whether I'm right!