Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Aspen, that's a good summary. I agree that keeping the front facing speakers close together is a good idea; that was my first reaction when someone mentioned using a pair.

I'd still recommend that anyone experimenting with stacking them that way should try reversing left and right cables for the top unit. [quote)

That is actually a great suggestion Learjeff, I am all for "experimentation" and no harm done to try it.

In fact I will try this myself soon and shoot some curves...see what gives. My suspicions are there will be little "difference", but I will post a "summery" report here after I see what happens.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Had a real bad weekend dealing with my wife, who fell and re injured her spine Friday. I spent most the day and night in the emergency room w/ her. She now has 4 fractured vertebrae and can't move much...so we haven't slept much since Friday.

I missed a gig Sunday at the Lighthouse with a 18 piece jazz band and Geoff playing his SS3...sorry Geoff...I was really looking forward to that! But it's been touch and go these last few days and not much sleep as she's in extreme pain with not much I can do. But today we made some progress and she's upright and able to walk a bit with a walker. Spinal injuries are a real bitch, it's gonna be a long slow recovery and everything else has kinda been on hold since Friday.

I'm so sorry to hear this, Aspen. I hope life returns to normal for both of you as quickly as possible.

Just notified by Sweetwater that my SS3 has left the building... and so it begins. Lots of SS3 back orders being shipped today.

JL

Hammond XK3, Yamaha PSR-s610, Leslie 3300, Neo Ventilator, Motion Sound Pro-145(fixed!), Yamaha Clubs & Subs, Hammond T-220

rickzjamm:

I think the GK 112MBX (note the X in the model name) indicates it is intended only for use as an extension cabinet to GK's micro bass amps. It's not meant to be used as a standalone combo amp. So it may not be the best choice for this purpose. I suggest, if you're going to pair with a bass amp as some of us here are, you look at the GK MB112, MB110 or similar. I use the MB112 (mark ii) and it works great.

However, depending on your duo config (what's the other half of the duo), many report great results using the SS alone. Especially if you're playing a small to medium size room, not pushing the SPL (in other words, what I think of when I hear small duo gig), you may be very pleased running the SS alone.

Sweetwater website says "Yes - Its in Stock!". what do I do ... big rock gig opening for Pat Travers at Ramona Mainstage a week from Friday ... ???
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Thanks Timwat.

The duo is a drummer-singer & me on keys & vocals. I'll run everything through the SS & see how that goes. The venues for the duo are around 100 or so people in either a patio & large room setting.

On another note hang in there Aspen!!!

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Yes, so sorry to hear about your wife Aspen. I hope she recovers as quickly as possible.

Was that Geoff Stradling at the Lighthouse ? He's the only Geoff I know that plays (actually it's his ) in a big band.

Would love to have one to try out for this little jazz gig in Studio City this Saturday.

Yes, that Geoff. He posted that gig on our facebook page my daughter set up for us...I REALLY wanted to go, but then life got in the way.

Gonna try and see Alan this coming Monday...I can imagine that's a great band if he's in it. But everything kinda revolves around how my wifey is doing now...we'll see.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Would love to have one to try out for this little jazz gig in Studio City this Saturday.

Id be happy to arrange a loaner Dave, I'll PM you with my contacts.

Arey you South/SW LA, or up in the Valley? I'd rent one ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

SS3 arrived this afternoon. I should have asked ahead of time, but since there is no specifics in the instruction page that came with it, need some quick answers:

1) Inputs, are they TRS or TS

2) Sub out, TRS or TS

Going to buy some new matching cables. My powered sub has XLR high pass out.

JL

Hammond XK3, Yamaha PSR-s610, Leslie 3300, Neo Ventilator, Motion Sound Pro-145(fixed!), Yamaha Clubs & Subs, Hammond T-220

hopefully under the condition that you provide a full report to the forum Dave... looking forward to hearing about your discerning experience! :2thu:

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Are you South/SW LA, or up in the Valley? I'd rent one ...

I don't rent, but I will loan you one for a gig. I'd only ask in return for a gig report here on KC!

APR studios are located in the Historic and Visionary City of San Fernando, 2.4 square miles of heaven surrounded by Los Angeles. I'll PM you my contacts, will be around most of Friday and Saturday.

Initial thoughts. I just took my new SS3 through its paces solo in the empty 1400 seat auditorium which I play 4X per week.

Physical Set up: Center stage. Sitting on top of powered sub. Tried straight out towards seating then angled up about 40 degrees. Very high ceilings with wooden roof.

Signal path:

XK3 dual manual mono going into Neo Vent, stereo out.

Neo Vent stereo into stereo inputs to Yamaha PSR-s610 arranger keyboard.

Yamaha keyboard stereo out to Yamaha SW500E powered sub

100Hz Bypass stereo out to stereo in SS3

Observations: In this config loud as all get out! Would blow away a 122/147 in volume. Clean, quiet, absolutely full range. Fidelity was excellent. Just as loud as my Motion Sound Pro-145 with a sub. No question, with this setup, SS3/sub, the rest of the band has met its match. For the record, tried without sub. For what I do, left handed bass, deep synths, etc., got to have the sub. A sub takes the load off the SS3 and lets it sing. Seriously, follow the advise of others here and get a sub. Aspen: Sub out (I know, full range), two thumbs up.

Leslie reproduction was killer. I use Jim Alfredson's XK3 setup, so I have a very near vintage Hammond sound. However, though its the best reproduction of a Hammond/Leslie I have heard yet, its just not quite the same. I ran some YouTube Hammond/Leslie video tracks through this via iPhone. Great sound.

Ran arranger stereo patches through this. Sounded very much like live. You could hear various instruments as if they were were coming from two sources... anywhere in the room. But for some reason it seems to emphasize the reverb in the channels in an unpleasant way. I have not experienced that in true stereo config. When I backed off default reverb settings, it helped. Otherwise stereo patches sounded great... very 3D.

I never have played piano (organ only since '68), so I really cannot comment fairly on that topic. However, I play lots of horn, sax, string, and bass patches. I put on a loop of a horn section and walked around the room. Wow, everywhere, front to back, side to side you could hear trumpets coming from one way and saxes coming from the another. I experienced far R or far L seat hearing the side firing speaker louder than front firing. Maybe that tweaking. Maybe its just too big a room for one SS3. However, 3D was still present.

For all you who roll your eyes at arrangers, I played full blues with deep bass, drums, background trumpet fills, strat guitar, etc. along with screamin' Xk3 8884 C3 with high tube gain. Played high intensity dance, ballads, arena power rock, and the kitchen sink. I did this to emulate what an entire band might sound like through the SS3. Everything was crystal clear, no distortion... just as good as a good PA setup. SS3 at 1:00 gain. Filled the entire venue with quality sound. I ran it at about 92 db @ 5'.

For those who expect no canceling, sorry. It was very apparent as I walked slowing from left to right with a single note, middle C continuously playing with an 888888, Neo Vent on choral. What I experienced was a very noticeable mid range dropout. Low rotor was pronounced, then I would move a couple of feet and it would not pronounced at all. This was almost continuous from far left to far right. To be fair, the acoustics are terrible, including criminal slapback. So, I blame the venue rather than the SS3. But that brings me to a point. The venue is always a part of the sound which requires adjustment and compensation. I am sure Aspen would agree.

I tried MP3s. I was disappointed for some reason. It was a bit mushy. Will do some more experimentation on this front and report back.

I will report back on how it goes with a full house and the rest of the band. I will probably drag out my small mixer so if the sound guys absolutely insist on running through FOH, which is the norm, I can keep the current setup as my stage system and send them the signals they may want. I hope I can go it alone with the SS3/sub w/o FOH.

So far, its a keeper.

JL

+1 on dialing down the reverb with SSv3. +1 on adding a filtering sub ahead of the SSv3 allowing it to really sing. And every room is different.

BTW, it seems that Aspen has finally produced enough units to keep Sweetwater in shelf stock. Wonder how long they'll last?

Playing two gigs this weekend without my SSv3/sub combo (long story). I'm going to miss it.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Another outside gig this weekend with the 2 SS aboard. This time

I am going to try putting the 2 stacked behind us straight ahead

Or slightly turned but all facing te same including the subs.

I may also try switching the cables on one of the units since it is upside down

And see what that might sound like.

I bought another Ev ZXa-1 sub so it'll be two subs and two

SS. Hope I'm not over doing it but, I think this will be

A good combo. Sold the kw181 just too much for this old

Man to lug anymore hense using the 2 subs. I think having a bit more distance

From the Spacestation will yeild a better over all experience.

Even though I though our last gig worked well I'd like to hear the spread

More.

For those who expect no canceling, sorry. It was very apparent as I walked slowing from left to right with a single note, middle C continuously playing with an 888888, Neo Vent on choral. What I experienced was a very noticeable mid range dropout. Low rotor was pronounced, then I would move a couple of feet and it would not pronounced at all. This was almost continuous from far left to far right.
I'd expect that with a traditional stereo rig too, though it might be more pronounced with CPS, especially if width is dialed up to provide a wider field than in comparison to the stereo setup.

It'd happen in mono too, though perhaps only for lower notes. I'm not sure of the cutoff, but I remember playing a lower note and walking around with an SPL meter, and no surprise, the readings were all over the place. (With a single speaker.) As you say, that's the room.

The whole idea behind nearfield monitoring is to minimize this, so reflections are diminished dramatically in comparison to direct (keep close to the speakers and keep the speakers as far from walls as possible). The CPS concept takes advantage of the reflections, and as we all know, there's no hope of a nearfield monitor situation in a live gig!

My experience is that even when there are cancellation spots due to stereo field, our brains are remarkably good at not just filtering that out, but rather, using it to provide a richer image. Cancellation in the room happens with acoustic instruments too, no speakers necessary!

as soon as my wife leaves for a school event, i'm calling SW :)

whats the sub recommendation of the KC pros? small compact sub with wheels even? minim $, the primary sound engine sb the ssv3. not too heavy etc ... I don't need to power a stadium with my rig.

Anyone know of a rolling bag/case with handle that would make an SSv3 atop a Sub feel cozy and loved? I don't carry stuff. maybe i get a cart?

[most recommended by Aspen and some others is the Behringer B1200D

It's less than 50lbs and has the ever important high pass filter @100htz

Among other features and is affordable @ $299.00.

I am using a similar unit made by EV the ZXA-1 Sub. It Has a high pass out

Also@100htz about same size and weight but is twice as much@$599.00

But, if your concerned with the B name. Here's this is an a option.

Others have found good use with small bass amps. Can't remember the model

But, one that weighs in at 27lbs.

Have a look back in one of the chapters here it's been covered.

Congrats! :2thu:

So, you guys all suddenly must have went outside and found a new life beyond KC. i'm happy for you all, its a good healty thing, but I had to move on. quick call to my new friend, Alex, at SW and he hooked me up - he expedited free shipping to make sure its here for my gig next weekend! Thanks to this forum for your relentless salesmanship, you got me ... you finally got me. Goodbye KC, hello SSv3! almost. he recommended a rolling gator case for it, so I threw that in.

I do still need sub advice ... this gig doesn't have any really heavy thick bass runs (oh, wait - one short section one song ... eh, oh well) and I'll be running FOH so I decided to forego it pending expert KC discussion. At rehearsal, the studio has K12s, I might just filter out the highs on a channel

Aspen - thank you again for the kind offer of a loaner. you are literally the ONLY amp/speaker manufacturer in the world to ever offer such kindness to me. but driving from San Diego up to the valley twice ... well I'd rather buy your product than do that. My "opportunity cost" on those two trips easliy exceeds $1000 if I just go sit at my dayjob office 1 mile from my house on Sat or Sun and do some consulting work.

as soon as my wife leaves for a school event, i'm calling SW :)

Man,if I haven't had that wait a thousand times.... :hand:

lol

I actually told her I was going to get it already ... but still ... if she was leaving at 10:45 anyway, why not just wait till she's gone, eh?

I am using a similar unit made by EV the ZXA-1 Sub. It Has a high pass out

Also@100htz about same size and weight but is twice as much@$599.00

Incorrect, sorry !

EV ZXA-1 Sub DOESN´T offer any selectable cutoff frequency for it´s A & B Outs!

It takes no load from the SSv3 when connected and regardless how it will be connected,- via the ZAX-1 sub´s outputs A & B or the other way around going stereo into SSv3 first and using SSv3´s fullrange out to the sub.

It, or better the EV system,- works different than the Behringer !

The 100Hz HP filter is in the EV ZXA-1 8"/1" speaker where you have the switch called "with sub/fullrange".

The EV ZAX-1 sub itself doesn´t produce sound above 100Hz though, but it´s outputs are FULLRANGE !

A.C.

:blush: I know it's not selectable but, I thought that the outs were cut off at 100htz?

Maybe time to call EV?

Are you certain about this? Just wondered.

For me, it doesn't matter because I mix my sub (s) out of an aux from my Mackie DL1608

So, I can control it how ever I wish( I'm a bonafied control freak!) eq,compression.volume

Thanks for your info. Now is it 100 pg. time yet!?!? :drool: