Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

:facepalm:

Page count is meaningless. Post count is what matters. You guys have a way to go before this thread is #1.

http://bluefunk.rocks/NonBandPictures/postcount.png

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am happy with the EV's yes.However, I haven't heard the Begringer sub.

I own 2 small powered Euro 8" and horn little 15lb. speakers that have paid for themselves

So, I wouldn't knock them today. At one time I would never buy

The B brand because of the bad rep. That being said, any co. Can have so,so product.

Best wishes with your new toy!

:boing:

:blush: I know it's not selectable but, I thought that the outs were cut off at 100htz?

Maybe time to call EV?

Are you certain about this? Just wondered.

Yes, it´s documented in the EV ZXA manual.

I have it.

I´m an EV fan myself, but in this case and functionality wise only, the Behringer D1200 sub is the "somewhat" better choice for the SSv3.

It´s not a matter of sound, it´s because the SSv3 has less work to do when being fed by a already HP-filtered signal.

Less mechanical stress on the cones and surrounds of the 8" and 6.5" woofers p.ex..

A.C.

It's a fun little Christmas tree the multi cone SS and a sub, but think about the filtering as a guess, unless there's some measurements. Most small subs aren't exactly like a traditional bass bin, and separation filters aren't all the same, so you may want to know what the filter curves at hand are and how the crossover point is defined if you want to be accurate, and in some sense, but that's I suppose up to the maker of the SS to decide, adding a low-off filter changes the main speaker sound and transient behavior, too. Of course none of the known persons here take it the SS is the miracle box that makes serious PAs completely superfluous (which would be a bit naive), so especially to preserve the special reflective and waveform generating properties, it may also be important to factor in the used separation filter circuitry's distortion properties, and if it's digital, it's (group) delay figures.

T.

+1 for the Behringer. The price is right, it works great, it has that hipass filter, and isn't too heavy to schlep. The SSv3 fits right on top, and both fit nicely on one of those small, folding wheeled hand trucks.

If you go with something else, make sure you're filtering out 100Hz and below to the SSv3. Your ears will thank you -- and you'll avoid the dreaded farting.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Anyone know of a simple, cheap, in line high-pass filter I could insert between the SS and my Mackie Thump (12") that I was planning to use as a sub?

It would be especially great if said device also had a direct-pass through to feed the FOH.

My SS3 is schedule to be delivered on Tuesday - really looking forward to it!

thx,

Dave

Anyone know of a simple, cheap, in line high-pass filter I could insert between the SS and my Mackie Thump (12") that I was planning to use as a sub?

It would be especially great if said device also had a direct-pass through to feed the FOH.

My SS3 is schedule to be delivered on Tuesday - really looking forward to it!

thx,

Dave

Well, that's the problem I ran into. All the stereo high pass filters I could find ended up costing more than the $299 Behringer sub, so there you go.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

There are several inexpensive rack-mounted crossovers:

Behringer Super-X Pro CS2310

ART CX311

Samson S-3

DBX 223xs

Essentially, lot of entries in the sub-$200 stereo crossover department. If you're DIY-handy, you could also breadbox your own, even if you used something like:

Part Express 8 Ohm 150hz 200w crossover

All that being said, I'd suggest you FIRST simply run your "Sub Out" out of the SS, dial off the HIs and MIDs using the Thump 12's built in EQ, and see how that sounds to your ear. I suspect you may be very pleased with the results.

Then you can consider down the line if schlepping an external crossover is worth your pursuit.

- Tim

aha, thanks cphollis and timwat, good points, i forgot about the stereo aspect.

Guess i'll just use it as-is and see how it goes.

Don't need to start new GASing before I even get the first thing I GAS'd for!

as soon as my wife leaves for a school event, i'm calling SW :)

Man,if I haven't had that wait a thousand times.... :hand:

lol

I actually told her I was going to get it already ... but still ... if she was leaving at 10:45 anyway, why not just wait till she's gone, eh?

LOL! , When ever I really want something , I just turn up at home with it!:) . Because that's what my wife always does , so I copy :D

I've got serious designs on turning up on one of these :Dhttp://www.fz09.org/forum/attachments/8446d1407345791-new-rear-mudguard-mt09-936648_668040876613890_748860439552395523_n.jpg

Brett

Please note that *all* the other threads are sports-related. This one is about a keyboard amp, for chrissakes! That ought to be worth a special prize right there.

Or maybe we can get dB to simple delete them as irrelevant to this forum :)

It would be especially great if said device also had a direct-pass through to feed the FOH

If you happen to be using an audio interface (a MOTU UltraLite or similar) for soft synths, you might already own all the high-pass filtering you need, either in the interface itself or as a DAW plug-in. If the device has multiple outs, you'd also have every pass-through option available for FOH.

I have a gig coming up with unusual amplification requirements, and I'm planning on sending pipe organ pedals via a dedicated output to a sub, and everything else greater than about 100 cycles (celesta, tack piano and the organ manuals) probably to the SSv3. Since my synth sounds are all coming from the laptop, I'll use the UltraLite AVB in lieu of a separate mixer.

Okay point made I Appreciate your insight. I have the manual but, didn't catch it.

For me it doesn't matter because I have a mixer that gives me options.

Even Aspen made mention that having a mixer would be an asset

But, everyone's needs are different and I can not speak for that.

With no mixer,looks like the B is the way to go unless you don't like the

Sound or what have you.

With no mixer,looks like the B is the way to go unless you don't like the

Sound or what have you.

With many of us, myself included, it's more of "what have you" and I won't derail this thread with the why's and why not's. That being said, I'm leaning towards the B-1200D myself over the EV after reading brother AC's post, even though I am using a Ashley 308B mixer.

:nopity:

About an inexpensive crossover...

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this unit. Only $99. Works as well as my Rane. (gasp). I still prefer Rane as my #1 choice, but not cheap.

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ax2304

JL

Hammond XK3, Yamaha PSR-s610, Leslie 3300, Neo Ventilator, Motion Sound Pro-145(fixed!), Yamaha Clubs & Subs, Hammond T-220

I actually find this kinda amazing that there is this much interest in cps/sfx gear! I've had versions of these units for 20 years and was always amazed that it never took off. It's true those earlier units were underpowered, but it was always fascinating to hear the effect in person....as everyone here well knows now. I'm just so happy for Aspen because this is his baby and deserves this kind of recognition. The fact that he's pulling it off via word of mouth and missing out on all the heartache and headaches of mass marketing is icing on the cake. Hopefully he'll make a 12" or 15" version!!

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

To be honest, I prefer the smaller unit with a sub. Its easier on my back to pack around two 40# units than one 65# unit. Even if I end up having to use two SS3s!

For perm music-oriented installations I would really like the guts of the SS3 in a rack mount. That would finally enable a usable "stereo" setup for large 300-2000 seat auditoriums using the cluster method (vs. array).

Thoughts?

JL

Hammond XK3, Yamaha PSR-s610, Leslie 3300, Neo Ventilator, Motion Sound Pro-145(fixed!), Yamaha Clubs & Subs, Hammond T-220

One thought I had about the SSv3 that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the idea of surround sound. I have an Eventide effects unit that offers a lot of stereo in quad out presets. I asked Aspen about it and he thought that since a quad effect has four discreet outputs, it almost certainly would work. He suggested putting the 2 space stations at opposite ends of the room. I have 2 spacestations and am going to try it eventually. But what if you had two of those Leslie pedals like someone said or two discreet stereo effects to send to the separate space stations?It would be like a (somewhat) poor mans surround sound system with oodles of possibilities all wrapped up in two small cabinets. Might work for some venues. Any thoughts?

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

That is exactly what I had in mind using two Neo Vents (with different settings on each vent) and two SS3s to emulate two leslies. Not really surround sound, but four separate signals.

JL

:facepalm:

Page count is meaningless. Post count is what matters. You guys have a way to go before this thread is #1.

http://bluefunk.rocks/NonBandPictures/postcount.png

Hmmm, at the risk of sounding SS3 "Sub-serviant"; I'd like to chime in at this 99+ page threshold, and also on Joe's comment about "what matters".

One of the smartest pals I know, BTW a KB player AND an accomplished audio engineer who did some of my design work on the CPS line in past, has a great saying; "The world is made up of two things; Matter, and doesn't Matter" - Harvey Rubens

This is one of the latter; the # of posts, pages and/or views really "doesn't matter".

But, what does matter is what's been accomplished, shared, learned and..have we made any progress toward our mutual quest for making better sounding music! So that regard, This Thread Matters!

Frankly, I am kinda new to all this "direct interaction" with my "end users", and potential end users...it's kinda like "reality audio". But man, I have REALLY enjoyed both sharing and learning over these last 99 pages.

IMHO, any thread should be judged on content, not quantity of pages or posts.

Or, if I may coin a phrase of my own:

"Forum follows function".

And IMHO, this thread is functioning at a very high level!

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

All that being said, I'd suggest you FIRST simply run your "Sub Out" out of the SS, dial off the HIs and MIDs using the Thump 12's built in EQ, and see how that sounds to your ear. I suspect you may be very pleased with the results.

- Tim

YES! Great point Tim, I second that emotion! Just try it with the sub out...very simple and works well.

I had KC Dave stop by yesterday to pick up my SS3 and B1200 for a "test drive" this weekend. I hocked him up both ways (B1200-SS3, and SS3-VB1200), and frankly it sounded great both ways. But Dave liked the simplicity of just using ONE cable out of the SS3 to drive the sub. It's simple, and quick...and sounds just fine

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

thanks Aspen, that's what I'm gonna do.

two quick questions:

1. Does the sub have to be directly below the SS3?

I recently started sitting on my Mackie Thump - saves my old back, and helps me dial into the beat of this ska/reggae band I recently joined. However, if the speakers need to be aligned, I'll just get a stool or something.

2. Are some effects more impressive/3D with SS3 than others? Pong delay, panned tremolo, reverb, etc?

I remember some effects were more pronounced on a Groove Tubes satellite SFX I used to have, but I can't remember what they were. Also not sure if some of that was due to special processing/effects in the Satellite.