Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

This thread is pretty long but Aspen started posting around page 16 or so then I got one and I posted some gig reports at a pretty loud bar where we did classic blues and rock. You should read it from that point forward.

Bob

Thanks for the answer Bob, I have another questions,

1) has anyone tried it with a Moog? I'd like to hear that or know how it feels.

2) I've seen videos where they use more than one instrument to play in the SS, Has anyone tried that?

3) If you don't have a mixer, can I connect a keyboard into the left input and another one into the right input if for some reason I only have this option to play both in a rehearsal?

1) No, but any stereo patch/effect tends to sounds pretty good. So far, very few exceptions.

2) Yes. It's not a 10,000 watt PA, but it does the job reasonably well, especially at moderate volumes.

3) Not a good idea. The SSv3 expects stereo left and right signals. The L+R (summed signal) goes out the front. The L-R (difference signal) goes out at 90 degrees. I would expect a substandard experience just plugging a random mono keyboard into each input. Best to get a small mixer, they aren't that expensive.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

When I use the MKII on its side, I mostly use it atop a Motion Sound KT-80 (which is on its side and on the floor). The back side of the MKII's side speaker is not totally blocked, thus allowing some porting. At other times, I'll set the MKII on its side but atop one of the those folding composite stools which has lots of open holes in it, again allowing MKII side speaker porting.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

Another test tonight, nice theater with both my Pink Floyd band and my "Deadhead" band sharing the bill. Huge stage, balcony area, lots of air. 500 tickets sold. Running stereo to the PA for all the sound FX. SS3 as my on stage monitor. The Deadhead band is 6 people and loud. We also have a horn section and backup singers coming out for the end of the show so there will be 12 people on stage- I have no doubt the SS3 will keep up. I'm not even bringing my K10. If I have a problem hearing I'll just move the SS3 a little closer and get it up off the ground some more. There are many monitor mixes and if anyone has problems hearing me they can get it dialed into their monitor, and the line array FOH system will more than cover my sound for the house. REALLY excited for this show, it's sold out, the debut of the Floyd band, and it's always a great time with the other guys, whom I've been playing with for 25+ years.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Another test tonight, nice theater with both my Pink Floyd band and my "Deadhead" band sharing the bill. Huge stage, balcony area, lots of air. 500 tickets sold. Running stereo to the PA for all the sound FX. SS3 as my on stage monitor. The Deadhead band is 6 people and loud. We also have a horn section and backup singers coming out for the end of the show so there will be 12 people on stage- I have no doubt the SS3 will keep up. I'm not even bringing my K10. If I have a problem hearing I'll just move the SS3 a little closer and get it up off the ground some more. There are many monitor mixes and if anyone has problems hearing me they can get it dialed into their monitor, and the line array FOH system will more than cover my sound for the house. REALLY excited for this show, it's sold out, the debut of the Floyd band, and it's always a great time with the other guys, whom I've been playing with for 25+ years.

Have fun and let us know the results of the SS. If you can try the SS by itself before the show and see how far she carries.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

I'm still loving mine as well...although I still haven't had a chance to gig with it!!!! :rolleyes:

The singer in one of my bands has a herniated disc, so we haven't gigged or even practiced since I got the thing. My Police Cars band has a gig in mid-January though, so I'll get a chance to check it out in a live environment soon.

I had also thought I was going to do a review of the amp for Keyboard mag, but that's not possible any more. After several discussions with Aspen about the amp, what he's doing with it, and what he's able to do by himself, I've agreed to try and help him with a few things...so it'd probably be a conflict of interest for me to write the review. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I'm still loving mine as well...although I still haven't had a chance to gig with it!!!! :rolleyes:

The singer in one of my bands has a herniated disc, so we haven't gigged or even practiced since I got the thing. My Police Cars band has a gig in mid-January though, so I'll get a chance to check it out in a live environment soon.

I had also thought I was going to do a review of the amp for Keyboard mag, but that's not possible any more. After several discussions with Aspen about the amp, what he's doing with it, and what he's able to do by himself, I've agreed to try and help him with a few things...so it'd probably be a conflict of interest for me to write the review. :idk:

dB

could SOMEONE ELSE write a review on it, then?

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I'm on vacation all next week, so maybe I can put a review together. I'll have had several gigs in various size rooms with different projects, along with some rehearsals, probably enough to base a half decent review upon.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

could SOMEONE ELSE write a review on it, then?

Well, it's definitely in Keyboard's queue now - it'd already have been done if not for my singer's aforementioned back issues that caused our December gig schedule to be cancelled (no way I could review it without actually using it live). I've already sent Steve an email that a new reviewer needs to be picked. Seems likely that will happen soon.

Regardless, I imagine Aspen will probably have to wait for the incoming shipment to be able to send out a review unit (I ain't giving mine up :saber::D ), so there's time.

dB

Thanks for the answers. In another forum they told me the SS is able to compete to the volume of a MG50, but not more than that. Do you agree? Since SS' front speaker is 100W too, I suppose it may compete with an MG100 or a Vox AD100VT and even more because of the side speakers.

Thanks for the answers. In another forum they told me the SS is able to compete to the volume of a MG50, but not more than that. Do you agree? Since SS' front speaker is 100W too, I suppose it may compete with an MG100 or a Vox AD100VT and even more because of the side speakers.

yes, what you must keep in consideration is the SS envelopes you and the stage in sound, it is not a single point source ,(unless you dial the width control to 0)so 180 watts among a 3 way system and 100 to the MS will provide a sound comes from everywhere environment .

My drummer keeps telling me to turn mine down, I love it !

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

^^^ fwiw, I don't think it would be a conflict at all; you show much integrity always, and I'm sure this review would be the same. Your insights would be helpful.

+1. I would certainly trust you to write a fair, unbiased and honest review dB.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I appreciate the votes of confidence and the kind words, guys. Please be assured, I'll be glad to share my impressions with you once I actually get the v3 into a real world application or two that doesn't involve my studio or living room. ;)

As far as me doing the one for Keyboard though...it's difficult for the mag to print a review done by someone involved in a professional relationship with the manufacturer - too many questions that can easily be avoided by having it done by a neutral party.

dB

I love it! sounds like a blast... :2thu:

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Three weeks to go for the shipment of V.3s Hope everything is on schedule. Ray

We're still right on track Ray, they are on the water. Hoping our ship comes into LA harbor sometime next week. Only unforeseen issue now is an off loading backup at the port of LA due to a trucker's union slow down...but that just got settled recently...so I am hopeful for a normal clearance turn around.

I will keep you all posted as soon as I know more, thanks again for your patience and have a happy (and safe) New Years!.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

It's worth waiting for. The more I use mine, the more I like it.

How do the Nord acoustic piano samples sound through the SSv3? Better or worse than through your QSCs?

I tried a SS several years ago but returned it. I love the concept and the 360 degree sound was great but the audio fidelity wasn't even close to meeting my needs. Seems the new version has improved fidelity.

How do the Nord acoustic piano samples sound through the SSv3? Better or worse than through your QSCs?

I tried a SS several years ago but returned it. I love the concept and the 360 degree sound was great but the audio fidelity wasn't even close to meeting my needs. Seems the new version has improved fidelity.

There are comments on the Nords quality previous in this thread

I think Jazzmammal tested his out.

I found, for me, that the FIRST board you play thru the SS can temper your opinion.

I am using a Kronos now and had that been the first board thru my SS I would have sent the SS back,only because the Kronos patches need EQ and balancing. The Rhodes and Wurli patches need some LF content EQ ing and roll off because the SS cab was rattling bad from certain notes.

Luckily, I had played my other boards thru my SS without the rattle,but my first impression was that something broke in the SS or there was a wire loom rubbing against the speaker cone.

A thought process prevailed, and I edited the offending patches and adjusted the gains and removed the offending frequencies without destroying the tone .

Someone in a previous comment lamented about possibly having to constantly adjust the SS and or keyboard for tonal nirvana, but its a one time process. I am not saying you wont find a stage or space that poses an issue, but if your board has an overall EQ that should resolve those kinds of issues.

I rarely touch the MF and HF on the SS, but might touch up the width depending upon where my SS is sitting in regards to walls around me.

SpaceStation V3,

Nord AP samples are quite reasonable for my situation. I play as part of an electric band, so punch and clarity count for more than nuanced detail. I also play organ, samples, synth, clav, etc. and all of those sound fantastic, especially the leslie sim.

One thing I found is that things sound different at a distance than up close. I had a friend play while I walked around the room. Big difference. When you use it close up as a monitor, you're mostly getting the L+R summed channel at short range. When you walk back, you hear the full effect and the balance improves.

Another discovery was that I had to dial in a different set of voices to sound good in the mix. More emphasis on sharp attacks, a light chorus helps, etc. And yet another discovery was that a small amp stand that raised the unit and tilted it up made for a lovely personal keyboard amp that the room can hear as well.

Put it all together and it's a nice tool in the arsenal.

I have plenty of toys in addition to the SSv3, but I end up going to it more often than not for rehearsals and smaller gigs. But it took a while to really warm up to it.

Better or worse than my QSCs? A separated pair of K8s or K10s on poles sounds better to my ears, but we're talking twice the price and twice the stuff to lug -- and it's not twice as good. If you compare a single QSC to a SSv3, I'd go with the SSv3 every time.

Nothing can touch the Fulcrum Acoustics, but that's a different story altogether.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"