Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

What keyboard(s) were you using for the piano sounds?

In the YT demo with Michael Boddicker posted earlier in the thread, the amp seemed to enhance the digital piano quality of the Privia -- good if you need to cut, I suppose, but rather unpleasant tonally, not unlike how it would sound through a Roland KC amp.

I always use a mixer with any amplification. (1) healthy output levels guaranteed,

It should work w/o a mixer w/ the SSV3.

It´s a universal amplifier and not only a 3way powered active speaker.

If it were, it should come w/ 2 balanced XLR +4dB inputs and 2 input attenuators.

From the videos, I understood it works w/ instruments and mixers.

Another Scott says it doesn´t and you NEED a mixer instead.

What´s true ?

(2) additional EQ options,

In good digital instruments, there´s quality EQ per patch and in lower level ones you probably find a global EQ only.

In fact, line mixers are good enough for most keyboards, except you have some electromagnetic keyboards in the rig like Clavinet, Pianet, Rhodes, Wurli or Hammond, normally all operating on guitar level (HiZ) and need preamps as well as some EQ.

(3) I can create a single FOH feed for multiple keyboards. Others may differ.

Well, depending on the rig you can do that w/ the SSV3 alone using the full range mono output for FOH.

For 2 keyboard rigs that works when 1 of the keys has a stereo line-in and a level pot/slider for that input.

There are also expander modules offering that feature,- Roland Integra-7 p.ex..

One of the, for me, most interesting small rigs would be:

Kurzweil PC361 into Kawai MP7 stereo-in into Roland Integra-7 stereo-in and only 2 lines running to the SSV3,- no mixer.

It would be possible to connect a 3rd pure MIDI controller keyboard to the MIDI-In of the PC361 for more keys if needed.

Now Another Scott says there´s not enough gain available w/ the SSV3.

Is that true or not?

In fact he used the mixer as a booster/pre-amp for the SSV3.

A.C.

A.C.

Some of my Nords have weak output levels, especially on a few patches. Shows up on all my different amplification options. Seemed like the easiest thing to do was to get a small mixer. I haven't done any extensive testing on the SSv3 specifically, as it's not an issue for me.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

What keyboard(s) were you using for the piano sounds?

The only one I used before adding the mixer was Kawai MP7.

I have since learned that the latest software update for the MP7--which I do not have installed--lists as an improvement, "Output Gain increased (+4dB)" !!! So yes, the MP7 must have had a lower than average output. Regardless, this is something that varies from one board to another. I know I've seen people complain about certain Nord and Yamaha boards having relatively low output. So the need for a mixer will vary with which board you have.

I played three or four other boards through it... but once I had the mixer in line, I didn't go back to check to see if any of the other boards would have been just fine without it... except the Hammond SK1 which I commented on in another post, which turned out to be fine without the mixer. (I never tried the SK1 with the mixer, though.)

In the YT demo with Michael Boddicker posted earlier in the thread, the amp seemed to enhance the digital piano quality of the Privia -- good if you need to cut, I suppose, but rather unpleasant tonally, not unlike how it would sound through a Roland KC amp.

I don't know that I would put it in Roland KC territory, but it is certainly possible to easily get a bad piano sound out of it. Too much width will do it in a snap. But as I mentioned, if you set that right, and play with the EQ knob on the back of the SpaceStation, and ideally (at least for my taste) use a little midrange cut at the right frequency, it can sound quite good.

Another Scott says there´s not enough gain available w/ the SSV3.

Is that true or not?

I have since edited the original post to indicate that it will depend on the board you use, as I commented on above.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Maybe I overread it but I think Anotherscott did not mention his soundsource for the Piano sound.

All I can say is that the Spacestation definitely needs NO mixer just for gain or sounding good.

I played it with my Hammond SK directly with and without the Ventilator and it sounded very good and very loud.

The Korg Kronos EPs and CX3 too.

AcPiano is another story. It is a very complex signal to amplify. I use a SA300 too and I was never that happy with my piano sound. But my DXR10 and ZX12P are not the optimum too.

I liked the somewhat harsh sounding SK Piano very much thru the Spacestation.

Not so with the Kronos and OK with the CP4.

But I will use the SS mainly for Organ+Lesliesim and there it really shines.

Just my 2 sents

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

AcPiano is another story. It is a very complex signal to amplify.

True.

Speaker placement, EQ, and various velocity settings are a MUST to get the most from my Electro 3 HP.

Listening in my little studio... not so much. But in a live setting, in a room that's new to me, these are the best tools I've got. Nord makes it really easy to reach out, grab a knob, and make quick adjustments to these parameters on the fly.

I have found that I do not need a mixer when using the NE3HP with the QSC K10s. There is plenty of gain from the Electro. And the on-board EQ, with sweepable mids, cures a lot of ills.

I carry just one board, so it's nice not to have to schelp a mixer.

I haven't heard the new SpaceStation. But if it turns out to be a good 1-box solution, it could be the best option when someone is considering a keyboard amp instead of a powered speaker or two... And having good-sounding options is a good thing indeed!

Happy Holidays fellow forumites!

Tom (Getting into the spirit early... just because.) :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Maybe I overread it but I think Anotherscott did not mention his soundsource for the Piano sound.

All I can say is that the Spacestation definitely needs NO mixer just for gain or sounding good.

I played it with my Hammond SK directly with and without the Ventilator and it sounded very good and very loud.

The Korg Kronos EPs and CX3 too.

Yes, we probably cross-posted... the first source for the piano sound (which prompted me to need the mixer) was Kawai MP7. With other boards, like the SK1, it is fine. It just depends on the board.

AcPiano is another story. It is a very complex signal to amplify. I use a SA300 too and I was never that happy with my piano sound. But my DXR10 and ZX12P are not the optimum too.

Right, acoustic piano was my focus. After all, I already knew it would sound great for organ. ;-) Expanding on what I said above in comparing the SS to the SA300, for piano, neither is great out of the box, and with no adjustments, I'd probably give the edge to the SA300 (though I didn't make that exact comparison)... but with adjustments, I can get the SS to sound better than the SA300 (except that the SA300 will continue to have more bass). But you need the patience/time to do it. I'd also say that the 50 pound SA-300 in two 25-lb pieces, one in each hand, is a lot easier to handle than the 40-ish lb SpaceStation. (And they both use the same kind of straps... but it's worse when there's 40 lbs pulling down on that strap than 25.) I also agree with you about the DXR10... a lot of people love it, but I didn't care for piano through that either. The ZXa1 was better. I never heard the ZX12P, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just my 2 cents ... I'm a SSv3 owner and use a Casio PX5-S, PC361 and a Korg MicroKorg XL ... I feed the SS with the L/R outs of my PX5S ... the other 2 keys (PC361 and MicroKorg) get fed into my PX5S using the 1/4 L/R audio ins coming from the PC361 and by using a 1/4" to 1/8" headphone cable coming out of my MicroKorg into the 1/8" audio input of the PX5S ... so everything goes into PX5S and out of the 1/4" outs directly into the SS using no mixer ...

I've had no problems with loudness, etc using this setup ... I use the PC361 for mainly organ and strings, the PX5s for pianos (EP and AP) and MicroKorg for various synth textures ... all sound good to me in a live setting and cut through the stage volume in a full cover band context (5 piece - keys, guitar, bass, drums, singer) ... oh yeah, I also feed the FOH with the SS sub out (mono) ...

it's probably not ideal for a lot of people but works well for me so far and makes for far less clutter on stage for me with equipment, etc. ...

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

I think this is where Jazzmammal ought to chime in seeing that he's used the SS for his SK. I wonder if he felt he needed a mixer.

I double rack with the wooden stand I built. It's the SK1 on top with the FA06 on the bottom so I use a small Alto mixer. I've only run the SK1 direct to the SS at home and of course that won't tell us anything. Actually I just remembered, that's not true. I ran it direct at Aspens studio and yes I had lots of power, at one point it was almost hurting my ears. That's when you hear me in the vid saying "that's pretty loud". I think I had the SK volume knob at about 2 o'clock and the SS was about the same so both had more left.

I did a gig last Saturday using my PC3 alone with no mixer and I had good power but that was a softer jazz gig not the romping bar gigs I've talked about. The PC3 sounded pretty good but man, now that I'm used to the SK1, the KB3 no longer works for me. I only used organ on two songs and really hated it and it's because the SK1 is that good.

I agree with the comment that the SK1's piano really sounds good through the SS, better than through my EV and I love my EV. I also agree with Scott, those ZXA1's are really nice, I almost bought a pair earlier this year. Using those in stereo is not a bad way to go either. His other comments are not surprising, nothing's perfect when it comes to getting a good sound for an AP patch. Acoustic piano is notoriously tough to get right and it really varies from one board to another and one venue to another.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

The SK does have a pretty hot signal. With the Vent you need to run it lower to keep the Vent's overload light from coming on, I find around noon on the SK volume will have the light come on once in a while when you really floor the pedal on the SK. So you might need a mixer if you use a Vent.

Still anticipating my SS... and answering all these questions for myself! :)

I pretty much always use a mixer in a multi board setup, in my rack. The only time I don't is when I run the SK by itself at some blues gigs, and I don't bring the Vent to those, so the SS should work out well in those situations.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Happy Spacestation V3 owner here. It sounds weird to me that someone is returning his Spacestation in favor of a SA300. The SA300 was the second worst sounding amp/speaker I ever owned. AP sounds were just awful thru it no matter if "Wide" was on or not. It's EQs were completely useless and the thing always had a loud digital hiss which was really annoying.

No, no, no, I really need to raise an objection here. The soundquality of the Spacestation is much better than the SA300. More precise, more kind of HiFi. And it's LOUDER. To each his own. But I prefer the Spacestation over any Keyboard amp I owned (KC500, KC300, Traynor K4, SA300).

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Happy Spacestation V3 owner here. It sounds weird to me that someone is returning his Spacestation in favor of a SA300. The SA300 was the second worst sounding amp/speaker I ever owned. AP sounds were just awful thru it no matter if "Wide" was on or not. It's EQs were completely useless and the thing always had a loud digital hiss which was really annoying.

No, no, no, I really need to raise an objection here. The soundquality of the Spacestation is much better than the SA300. More precise, more kind of HiFi. And it's LOUDER. To each his own. But I prefer the Spacestation over any Keyboard amp I owned (KC500, KC300, Traynor K4, SA300).

You know, Tom, I love my SS V3 also, better than my Traynors, Rolands,QSCs, EVs, BUT not everybody loves Chocolate Pudding, just saying.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Happy Spacestation V3 owner here. It sounds weird to me that someone is returning his Spacestation in favor of a SA300.

No, returned it in favor of the EV ZXa1. But I do still sometimes use my SA300 for the sheer convenience of it. But I agree that, with tweaking, the Spacestation sounds better than the SA300 (except for having less bass).

I'm thinking of using a simple crossover with the highs to the SS and the lows to a Fender Rumble 200.

Any thoughts? I do not have the crossover yet.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

I'm thinking of using a simple crossover with the highs to the SS and the lows to a Fender Rumble 200.

I am using a TC Electronics BG112 bass amp for the sub with no crossover, the inherent qualities of the bass amp suffice and really do not smear or interfere with the SS coverage and frequencies.

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I am using a TC Electronics BG112 bass amp for the sub with no crossover, the inherent qualities of the bass amp suffice and really do not smear or interfere with the SS coverage and frequencies.

I like that amp (for bass) - lightweight and loud. I'll bet that's a really jice companion to the spacestation.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I received my Behringer 1200D subwoofer today. Didn't have much time to dial in the best volume and crossover adjustment. But the Spacestation sounds BIG with this sub. And the combo looks nice.

Received the same sub today, that's good to know.

Last weekend I used my Spacestation at a rehearsal with a cover rock band. Two guitars (much too loud as always!) thru a Mesa Boogie and a Twin Reverb

Ugh two guitar players when there's already a keyboardist, drives me crazy. Two chording instruments TOTAL. Yes there are exceptions, anyways.../rant

The SS V3 delivered plenty of volume. I left my new Behringer 1200D sub in the trunk of my car. No need for a sub in a normal band setting, not at all!

PS: I am thinking about returning the sub. It's a nice to have. But it really is redundant in a band setup.

Good to know that the SSv3 can stand on its own for many applications. I can see where it would be nice to leave the sub at home, and only bring the 40lb speaker plus little mixer. I think for my LH bass gigs though, I may need the sub. I'll find out. Eventually:

Here's the latest order status from my SW rep. Mid January shipment on my November 16th order.

I ordered mine a few days after you. Was originally told Dec 23 ship date. Kind of a bummer if Jan or later is the reality.

Playing Nord Stage 2, Hammond XK1c, LH bass, with sax and drums

https://youtu.be/0-H0GRBWiM4?si=4PBofKIl5qD-we5p

Here's the latest order status from my SW rep. Mid January shipment on my November 16th order.

I wonder if this is another manufacturing delay? Maybe Aspen can give an update for us. I ordered mine 11/8 and was also given the original mid December delivery date.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My guess is that due to such high demand, it's more cost-effective to wait until a massive quantity are produced, and make one large shipment instead of a few smaller ones. Hopefully this translates into the price not going up with demand. Thanks for your sacrifice of time for the greater good of GAS. Or: GAS giveth, and GAS taketh away :)

Here for the gear.

I asked SW about an ETA yesterday and heard the news. I ordered 10/27, so it's already been a long wait, and to top it off, this thread is like crack. I keep coming back and it's like pouring salt in a wound. Hearing how great it sounds in this setting and that, making the Vent sound huge, and what a subwoofer will do to the sound, etc.

I just don't know how much longer I can take it :roll::):roll:

"May you stay...forever young."

Damn. I ordered mine on 10/28 so I guess I'm in the same boat - so to speak. Gonna try to resist the urge to just cancel and wait till they get their shit together. Seems like a free cover or some other peace offering might be in order...

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Aspen explained the issues with the delays some pages back.

Please try to remember he is literally a ONE man operation.

He did not expect the surge and popularity of the SS so fast, coupled with his economics situation.

I believe he is trying to ramp up production overseas.

AnotherScott has his for sale in the classifieds for those who cannot wait.

SpaceStation V3,

AnotherScott has his for sale in the classifieds for those who cannot wait.

Nope, that was just for the one day, in case someone who couldn't wait wanted to jump on it. My return window was closing, so without a firm sale, I sent it back the next day.

Aspen explained the issues with the delays some pages back.

Yeah, he explained his issues in detail a few weeks ago. Without trying to rewrite what he wrote, start with he had a whole load of Emminence speakers fall into the ocean right at the dock in China. That alone held things up for weeks and there were other delays.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I wonder if this is another manufacturing delay? Maybe Aspen can give an update for us. I ordered mine 11/8 and was also given the original mid December delivery date.

It is with great regret that yesterday I had to push out the Sweetwater estimated delivery by several weeks, from the 4th week in December to the second week in January. I know many of you have been waiting since early November for our 2nd run. It really grieves me that I can not make your Christmas brighter in stereo. The "usual" turn on an order is supposed to be 90 days, and the original delivery was to be the first week of December. It should have happened, but sometime the best laid plans go a stray...as in this case.

FYI, we contract our v.3 design with two vendors; one makes the amp chassis, and the other (Eminence speaker) makes the speakers, the cab, does final assembly, does 100% QC and does the pack out. Then these are put on a boat to me. This arrangement is slightly more complicated because not all the components are made in China, as was the case with the first 2 SS Versions. I felt the US Eminence CX2008 was so much better than anything I had before from China that I convinced them to restart that speaker for me here in the USA. So this custom made 8" coax speaker (and matching 1" compression driver) are produced in Eminence Kentucky then shipped to the Eminence factory in Don Guang (near to Hong Kong). IMHO, this very cool driver his is the heart of the improved sound of the v.3. Our 1st run was delayed almost 3 months when the pallet of CX2008 drivers tipped on the crane unloading them in Hong Kong and fell on the dock...a total loss. So we had to start over.

Now this time we had a Class D-amp power chip shortage in China so our chassis vendor lost about 20 days. So they just delivered our chassis assemblies to Eminence speaker factory last week, about 21 days late...crap. They are assembling and finishing the order as fast as they can but no way to make up this delay.

I hope to have these on the boat to us by the end of next week. Then it's 3 weeks on the water, 1 week clearing the docks and customs in LA...then a few more days by truck to SW. Now I am hoping they can start shipping to you around January 14th, or so.

One more possible wrinkle; the dock workers union have started a "work slow down" at the ports in LA, and they are threatening a strike. There are currently 4 ships sitting off shore that can not get a berth. To add insult to injury, the harbor authority has just last week imposed a (minimum) $800 surcharge to all inbound shipments because of this added time on their docks. All that may impact usual clearance times, as well as eat up my modest profit margins (I am praying they settle whatever that issue is in the meantime.

I am sorry if this is TMI, but I felt I owed you all an honest and detailed explanation, and a peak inside my crazy world. Thank you all for this great discussion thread, I read every word. And THANK YOU for your patience with me...I am trying my best to meet this unexpected demand...and I am "all in" on this, I assure you.

And again, my deepest apologies for any inconvenience this delay may have caused you.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

That's ok Aspen. There are not enough innovators out there and plenty of imitators ! Do your thing and we will just have to be patient until the product arrives .

I would much rather things were different but I have been a small business owner too and sometimes stuff just happens beyond your control . This seems like a great product and will be worth the wait . Have a great Christmas sir .