Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I received my Behringer 1200D subwoofer today. Didn't have much time to dial in the best volume and crossover adjustment. But the Spacestation sounds BIG with this sub. And the combo looks nice. A more detailed report will follow in the next couple of days.

PS: How can I add pictures to a posting if I don't have my own website?

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Yeah Ray you are correct - there is a 1/4" full range sub out that you can feed the FOH with although it will be mono ... that's all I'm currently doing for FOH sends at moment ... will probably eventually get a small mixer with aux sends to be able to send a stereo image to FOH but for now it works fine in mono and I can turn up the SS on stage to help fill stereo image on stage ...

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

PS: How can I add pictures to a posting if I don't have my own website?

upload to a filesharing service.

I´m using "Dropbox" which is free for 2GB of webspace.

You install it, then put your pics into the "public folder" and post a public link for an image here (see toolbar "enter an image").

You´ll need a separate link for every image/pic you want to post here.

A.C.

There's also google drive with 15GB free

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I just came home from a rehearsal in a small studio, maybe a 12x15 room with a drum set and some clutter. We had 5 people in there including the drummer. Because this is for a jazz piano gig I brought my PC3 instead of my SK1. I was jammed against the back wall looking at the drummer with the SS literally right beside my drum throne, if it was up high enough I could have sat on it. That's usually a very bad spot for a keyboard speaker but the SS sounded just great.

The Kurz pianos sounded really good but when I played some EP and turned up the stereo mod wheel that whole room was filled with stereo EP swirling all over. In that small room at volume it sounded like it was coming from everywhere like pure surround sound and this is with me right on top of the thing. I really couldn't believe it, it was very impressive.

When we finished one particular song the drummer said, man what is that little amp? It's his studio and he knows equipment. When we finished I stayed and played some stuff for him including the KB3 organ for about 15 minutes and he was looking it over and was really impressed. The KB3 sounded really good too. Not quite up to my SK1 but very good nonetheless. This amp makes any keyboard sound better than it's ever sounded and it's not just the stereo, the tonal quality is excellent too, very hifi like.

I know after all my posts I'm sounding like I work for Aspen. I don't but I also know what so many of you are looking for in a keyboard amp because I've been looking for the same thing for oh, 30 years. This amp is it for me, I'm never using anything else unless this one gets destroyed or otherwise dies.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I know after all my posts I'm sounding like I work for Aspen.

Bob

HAHA! I quit posting so often for the same reason. If I did not have one I'm sure I would think 'Man, it can't be that good.'

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

I've been lurking and reading every report carefully. I'm actually surprised how posts continue to be informative, even though this thread is well over 20 pages long.

For example, I'm intrigued by the various recommendations on mixers and placement.

I know after all my posts I'm sounding like I work for Aspen.

Bob

No, thank you for that report.

I waited for someone testing the cab w/ a Kurzweil PC3.

A.C.

OK, I'm using the PC3 on the gig this Saturday, it's an outdoor thing so that's a completely different environment. I'll report how it sounds but by now I'm convinced it'll still sound great but maybe it won't produce that killer surround sound effect outside. We'll see.

The PC3 has good stereo AP's but I couldn't hear much stereo in that little studio, it's basically left hand stuff is on the left and right hand is on the right and with a bass player most of my playing is in the middle anyway. Not a really big deal but those Kurz EP's with all the modulation was awesome. It sounded so good I'm having second thoughts about using my SK1 as an all in one because the KB3 really came to life and with the SS it's worth doing some tweaking with the leslie sim. After I got the SK1 I had a brief thought I should sell the PC3 but I quickly killed that idea. Now, if Kurz were to package up a PC3 in a 15 pound case like the Casio I would.

Sigh, it never stops does it? It's like SHUT UP BOB, you've got everything you need. Sheesh.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Now, if Kurz were to package up a PC3 in a 15 pound case...

Not quite, but the Artis7 looks darn tempting.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

"As far as I know there's a full range sub out on the SS. It's been mentioned in quite a few of the previous posts. Ray"

Thanks--I had seen that, but the use of the word 'sub' kind of threw me--I figured it was just a for a subwoofer. Is that what it's for, but I can also send a mono image to the FOH?

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

"Aspen recommends a sub with a 125 Hz limit if you need more bass, i.e. with bass pedals or left hand bass. Ray

PS Aspen mentions this on page 23."

I'm not interested in using a sub at all, if this was in answer to my question below?

"Thanks--I had seen that (the sub out), but the use of the word 'sub' kind of threw me--I figured it was just a for a subwoofer. Is that what it's really for, but I can also send a mono image to the FOH?"

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

I play in a big band and often sit near the front of the stage with the keyboard pointing upstage (i.e. like an orchestral 1st violinist). How would I use the SS in such a context? Would it be a problem having the side firing speaker pointing at the audience?

I play in a big band and often sit near the front of the stage with the keyboard pointing upstage (i.e. like an orchestral 1st violinist). How would I use the SS in such a context? Would it be a problem having the side firing speaker pointing at the audience?

I've had the best results when the side-firing speaker is pointed at a wall or similar so the sound can reflect. One setup I did had the side-firing speaker pointing right at the drummer, and he justifiably complained.

You can dial down the side-firing speaker using the "width" control, but that will also diminish the stereo effect. The front-firing speakers are no slouch, so worst case you're back to a traditional amp.

Another alternative would be to bring a piece of plywood to act as a sound reflector, but who wants to lug that around?

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I am looking to replace an aging Motion Sound KP200s + SL200s Slave that I stack.

I'm thinking that I will order a Space Station but I am still not sure what to pair it with.

I am thinking either a QSC K10 or a Yamaha DXR12 underneath, but I am a bit concerned about the form factor since the Space Station is an 11" x 11" square at the base vs. the shapes of the QSC or Yamaha.

I can picture this tipping over for being too top heavy.

Also, does the Space Station have the ability to be lifted up on a pole?

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I am looking to replace an aging Motion Sound KP200s + SL200s Slave that I stack.

I'm thinking that I will order a Space Station but I am still not sure what to pair it with.

I am thinking either a QSC K10 or a Yamaha DXR12 underneath, but I am a bit concerned about the form factor since the Space Station is an 11" x 11" square at the base vs. the shapes of the QSC or Yamaha.

I can picture this tipping over for being too top heavy.

Also, does the Space Station have the ability to be lifted up on a pole?

No the SS does not have a pole mount,

You could think about fashioning some hard foam wedges to sit atop the bottom speaker, BUT the SS is 39 lbs and if the bottom speaker vibrates from bass frequencies it could shake the SS off.

I don't think you really need a full range speaker for the bottom, thus the discussion about subs and LF for the bottom.It has plenty of HF content ans the spatial projection throws the sound around.

Where it "lacks", and I really hate to use that term, is "bottom LF content",IF your kicking LH bass or have a lot of boom on the bottom, but you have to use it sparingly, I had to dial my bass amp (used as the sub ) way down because the acoustic piano LH keys were thumping from the LF content.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

As before: no pole mount, and it's not light. I put mine on top of a K12 as an experiment. Plenty of projection, lots of bass, etc. Very stable. A K10 is smaller, but it should still be stable.

To earlier comments, plenty of bass comes out of the Spacestation. With the music I play, no real need for a bass sub.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Man, am I getting spoiled. I decided to use my PC3 76 at the bar gig last night with the SS and I'll be using it today as well for the jazz gig. It sounded good but compared to my SK1 the KB3 was not cutting it for me. Everybody else in the band thought it sounded great but now that I'm used to the SK1 it's not even close, dare I say it sucks? I'm turning into HammondDave...

For those who are not organists and just need some organ sounds here and there, the PC3 is a great keyboard. For me though I wasn't digging the KB3 at all not just the sound but the keys too but the pianos sounded good which is ok for today. But if the gig calls for lots of organ, it's the SK1 all the way.

One cool thing, as I was setting up a guy comes up to me and says "you've got the new Spacestation, nice". I said how do you know that, this just came out and I know there's only a few guys in LA who have one. He said he helped design it. His name is Craig Devon and he asked me to say hello to you Aspen. Small world...

Bob

Can you define LF? And another thing in regards to bass. Could it be said that the SS's bass response (like when you're playing a vintage Hammond) is comparable to, let's say, a Leslie 122?

I should clarify LF as far a subwoofer territory. pedal tones, Moog Taurus synth tones, etc, you might rattle the SS woofer.

The woofer in the SS has remarkable reproduction for its size.

A Leslie has a 15 inch woofer, so there is no comparison in size,so thus the pedals come out nicely from a rotary cabinet. but the Leslie's power amp is 35 watts vv the 280 from the SS.

I say just try it and see for your likes and needs, IOW, a sub is NOT a requirement for the SS to sound killer.

Honestly, I use the bass amp to set the SS up to a convenient height for sound coverage.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

For the PC3's KB3: download the couple of B3 patches that BillW (from here also) posted on the Mastering VAST forum.

I'm using the Leslies that he made for those patches for almost all of my PC3's KB3 patches (except the double leslie).

It is still not quite as good as the Leslie in the SK1, but it is a large amount closer than I was ever able to achieve.

I've used the SK1 by itself more frequently lately playing out than the PC361.

Since I just got a new 32GB iPad mini with Retina Display, I will likely be experimenting with some of the iPad apps and a lightweight controller - seems I could walk in to the local jam with iPad in a pocket, audio & midi cables in a pocket, controller under one arm, and K10 in the other. Setup like a guitar player. I may buy some of the apps on sale. Will probably wait on the controller until I see how well I can make it work using the USB output of the PC361.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I've had a Space Station v2 for a while, and I've tried it on a pole - I have a platform I built (piece of wood with decoupling pads on it attached to a standard speaker mount), but I think it performs better coupled to the floor, actually. Needs to be angled back for the best effect though...

I got a B stock v3 from Aspen yesterday. I tried it on the pole, but so far I think the overall performance is better on the floor...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/IMG_3990_zps869118b2.jpg

...and, may I just say that this bad boy is night and day over the v2. Much better overall definition and power handling, much better imaging (can't believe I'm using that adjective to describe a single combo amp), and much better low end. :cool:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

This may have been covered by I couldn't find it easily in a 26+ page thread...

Are any of you using the Space Station with a Fender Rhodes? I occasionally use my 1973 Fender Rhodes Mark I live and am interested in using the Space Station with an electromechanical Rhodes. Anyone want to provide feedback? Haven't found any videos or testimonials on this.

Jeff

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I occasionally use my 1973 Fender Rhodes Mark I live and am interested in using the Space Station with an electromechanical Rhodes.

Doesn't that Rhodes just have a single mono out? The real benefit of the SpaceStation is for stereo sounds. So it wouldn't seem to be the right choice, unless maybe you're running your Rhodes through external stereo fx...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Nope. Rhodes is mono. I play my Rhodes through Motion Sound stereo amps all the time, though, just using a mono input. I am thinking this would avoid carrying a big heavy Twin Reverb for the Rhodes on the few occasions a year that I take it out.