Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Maybe a dumb question, but any opinions on what small low amp stand to use?

The few normal height ones I have look like the spacing is too wide for this amp.

Here is the one I got from Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AMP150

$29.95

It is exactly one half inch too wide for the SSv3. That being said, I use it just fine anyway. Someday I'll get a small board to fix that.

dB's choice looks better ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I have a pair of these:

http://elderly.com/images/accessories/ACC/RS7000.jpg

I hate them. I hate them with a white hot passion. I refuse to use them. I throw them around in the basement when I am ticked off about anything. If I had a trebuchet handy they would be in the next county.

They are awkward to carry. Either you carry them whole and the awkward shape gets tangled up in everything, or you take the time to disassemble them and you have a bunch of clanky pieces.

You can't control the tilt, and front heavy speakers tend to fall off.

Moe

---

I have a pair of these:

http://elderly.com/images/accessories/ACC/RS7000.jpg

I hate them. I hate them with a white hot passion. I refuse to use them. I throw them around in the basement when I am ticked off about anything. If I had a trebuchet handy they would be in the next county.

They are awkward to carry. Either you carry them whole and the awkward shape gets tangled up in everything, or you take the time to disassemble them and you have a bunch of clanky pieces.

You can't control the tilt, and front heavy speakers tend to fall off.

So what you are saying is you don't like these ??? :hitt:

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

^^^^^ I have one of those stands a few posts up I use with my K10 laying down, and I like it. I might now start to kick it sometimes, since it kind of looks like something goal-posty which should be on a football field. ha ha ha

I want to get a low to the ground one for this SS3 amp though.

Very cool - thanks for the link! Now I just need to find out if I'm getting my SS amp on this next shipment or not ;-)

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

I've been sitting mine on top of my cord/pedal case that is about the height of a 6 space rack. It's worked well on a couple larger stages, with the amp 6-8' behind me. Smaller rooms, I sat it on the floor and tilted it up, about 4' behind me.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Do it have a switchover at the back for 110/230 Volt, or does it have to be a special order?

I would like to order one here to Europe, and have wrote the same Q to Sweetwater (before the intro-price ended ), but still no answer therefrom.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

It's an 18 day sail from Shanghai to Long Beach. Aspen said they hit the water on the 12/13...so I'm gonna guess they're in port. Called SW today to order my Behringer XR12, and the rep said the SS V.3s are expected on MLK day, the 19th. So a little over two weeks for customs and shipping to SW, then whatever time it takes to ship it all the way back to this coast, but...we're getting closer!!

Now I've got to wait till March for the XR12. Oh, the horror. :crazy:

Almost as excited about that as I've been for the SS. Can't wait to put these two things together.

"May you stay...forever young."

It's an 18 day sail from Shanghai to Long Beach. Aspen said they hit the water on the 12/13...so I'm gonna guess they're in port. Called SW today to order my Behringer XR12, and the rep said the SS V.3s are expected on MLK day, the 19th. So a little over two weeks for customs and shipping to SW, then whatever time it takes to ship it all the way back to this coast, but...we're getting closer!!

There's one other potential variable when shipping stuff by boat - especially if you only take up part of a container: stuff doesn't always get unloaded and unpacked as soon as it gets into port.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Do it have a switchover at the back for 110/230 Volt, or does it have to be a special order?

I would like to order one here to Europe, and have wrote the same Q to Sweetwater (before the intro-price ended ), but still no answer therefrom.

There is no 120/230v switch. However, SS v.3 does have a dual tap 120/230v xfmr that can be internally rewired by exchanging a Black wire for a Red wire from the troidal xfmr to the rear side of the AC input socket. We also recommend a fuse change from 3.1 slo-blow @ 120v to 2a slo-blo @ 230-240v. This takes about 5 minutes and a screwdriver, and no soldering.

I intentionally decided not to add a switch to the BOM for several reasons:

1) It adds the price of a switch to every unit for something the users will never use. How much cost? Well as a rule of thumb about 5x the cost of the part, so maybe $8-10 per unit.

2) We are actively looking for dealer partners now for Europe, South America, Australia and other 230-240v markets. So eventually we will build dedicated 230v runs and therefore we will not NEED a switch. In fact I have already asked the factory to send me about 5% of our first 2 runs pre wired for 230v.

3) A switch presents both the possibility of misuse (IE: set to 120v then plugged into a 230v socket = catastrophic failure), and/or the potential of a connection failure (and also any switch can internally fail too). So why risk that?

Therefore I chose to make this a hard wired design, and so far whenever we have had a 230v order, either directly thru us at Aspen & Associates or thru our exclusive retail partner SW, we have just done the simple conversion here at our shop....no problem.

Also, as some of our early "export" adopters have already mentioned here in this forum, at A&A we give a discount to "help" off set the added cost of export shipping, and also we use USPS which takes about 10 days but is fairly inexpensive as compared to FedEx or UPS...and so far no problems (knock on wood!).

So with this system the total cost to Germany, Sweden, or Australia is not that much much more than a US customer pays...about 20% more on average (not counting your country's VAT of course...but not much we can do about that and any amp you buy will have VAT added).

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Yes, closer! But we sail from Hong Kong, not Shanghai...not sure how much difference that is.

However right now we have a union trucker's strike at LA and LB harbors (just settled) that has created a serious off loading backlog...some ships have even been diverted to SF/Oakland for off loading. I still do not know the exact whereabouts of our boat (hopefully I will will know more on Monday...after everyone returns to work).

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

This isn't OT I promise - I've been getting by with a studio monitor speaker until my SS arrives. It actually sounds pretty good and I was especially impressed by the way my C/V and Leslie sounds. This afternoon, I took the XK1c over to church and hooked it up with our organ speakers. I was not all that impressed with the way my board sounded.

Now the question: for those who've specifically used the SS with a Hammond product (ie, SK), or I suppose any decent drawbar simulation, does the SS give an accurate representation of the sound that supposed to come out? I need something bigger than a studio monitor, but I don't to sacrifice accuracy for even the fabled stereo sound I'll be getting with the SS.

Or is there something about a studio monitor vs. a keyboard amp I don't know about?

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3

Related to the power issue. First: we sell all over the world in industrial environments with MANY AC or DC supplies, 50 or 60Hz on AC. So our products (not musical) had "Universal" supplies that work on 16-250V AC or DC, 50/60 Hz. For us, it's a savings because we have one supply that will work all over the world. I don't know what the adder is for that, but I think it's a brilliant concept.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes, closer! But we sail from Hong Kong, not Shanghai...not sure how much difference that is.

However right now we have a union trucker's strike at LA and LB harbors (just settled) that has created a serious off loading backlog...some ships have even been diverted to SF/Oakland for off loading. I still do not know the exact whereabouts of our boat (hopefully I will will know more on Monday...after everyone returns to work).

It's about a day longer from Hong Kong, then from Shanghai. It also appears that the strike is no longer an issue:

LA Times

"May you stay...forever young."

2) We are actively looking for dealer partners now for Europe, South America, Australia and other 230-240v markets. So eventually we will build dedicated 230v runs and therefore we will not NEED a switch. In fact I have already asked the factory to send me about 5% of our first 2 runs pre wired for 230v.

Germany : Thomann!!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

It's about a day longer from Hong Kong, then from Shanghai. It also appears that the strike is no longer an issue:

LA Times

Yes, do know that the trucker's strike was settled but my import agent told me a week ago that the back log is still there from months of slowed turnaround, and the Port of LA still has the $750 surcharge per shipment (minimum) in force for this "extra storage", which is basically boats anchored off shore waiting their turn in line. It has been a mess, only question now is how long now to clean it up!

However, I went into work today (as I have everyday including Christmas and New Years) and found a surprise waiting on the fax machine; "Notice of Arrival"! It shows the ship and I think a dock number too...so we may be on land by now, or early next week!

So tomorrow I'll find out exactly where we are in line...and I'll be able to give you all an update. But it appears we may be slightly ahead of schedule!

2) We are actively looking for dealer partners now for Europe, South America, Australia and other 230-240v markets.

Germany : Thomann!!

Hi Klaus, I agree, Thomann would be the perfect CPS partner and could handle all of Europe as Sweetwater handles the USA, and having one super dealer keeps the price down for my customers.

After the January 2013 Anaheim NAMM show I had a German pal of mine take an upgraded SS MK2 sample to the keyboard buyers there at Thomann headquarters, but apparently they turned us down. I guess we were "small potatoes" or perhaps the demo failed to impress them (Germans are hard to impress, I know because I am married to one). But as I was not there I am not really sure what happened.

However, that was a year ago and we had not yet made and/or shipped the new SS v.3, which is a better sounding and more powerful version.

Also, we now have a dozens of positive reviews from our early adopters, both here and in Europe. And the guys at Sweetwater are selling everything I can make (and more)...so we have a nice track record now. So I am really hoping Thomann will come visit me at NAMM. I have also heard good things about Musik Store Koln.

But hope springs eternal; our the annual NAMM show is just a few weeks away. And after exhibiting at NAMM since 1973 to 2008 (3x a year in the old days!), I will be back to launch my new brand; APD - Aspen Pittman Designs. Center Point Stereo and the Spacestation v.3 will be one of five new APD products "officially" debuted under the APD brand....certainly it will be the "centerpiece" in my booth!

We are already CE certified, so I am just looking for the right partner, which would be a super dealer like Thomann or Musik Shop to keep the street price low for my end users.

This isn't OT I promise - I've been getting by with a studio monitor speaker until my SS arrives. It actually sounds pretty good and I was especially impressed by the way my C/V and Leslie sounds. This afternoon, I took the XK1c over to church and hooked it up with our organ speakers. I was not all that impressed with the way my board sounded.

Now the question: for those who've specifically used the SS with a Hammond product (ie, SK), or I suppose any decent drawbar simulation, does the SS give an accurate representation of the sound that supposed to come out? I need something bigger than a studio monitor, but I don't to sacrifice accuracy for even the fabled stereo sound I'll be getting with the SS.

Or is there something about a studio monitor vs. a keyboard amp I don't know about?

I wouldn't compare a dedicated studio monitor to the SS. Are you using the studio monitors in a live setting or just at home? The SS is a live amp- made to go loud, cut thru the mix, etc. It's not going to sound like a studio monitor. If that's the sound you are after then keep using the studio monitors.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I've been getting by with a studio monitor speaker until my SS arrives. It actually sounds pretty good...I took the XK1c over to church and hooked it up with our organ speakers. I was not all that impressed with the way my board sounded.

What kind of studio monitor are you using? ANd more importantly, what kind of "organ speaker" was in the church? If it was a leslie, you would want to make sure you have bypassed the XK1c's own leslie simulator if connecting to a real leslie.

is there something about a studio monitor vs. a keyboard amp I don't know about?

There might be... but I would say that the SS falls into neither of those categories.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Germans are hard to impress, I know because I am married to one.

:D:wave:

I will be back to launch my new brand; APD - Aspen Pittman Designs. Center Point Stereo and the Spacestation v.3 will be one of five new APD products "officially" debuted under the APD brand....certainly it will be the "centerpiece" in my booth!

Expansion already,- congrats !

We are already CE certified, so I am just looking for the right partner, which would be a super dealer like Thomann or Musik Shop to keep the street price low for my end users.

Thomann and Musicstore are the right ones and both can handle all the europaen deals, warranty cases and returns.

They both have large service departments and all the logistics as well.

But for NAMM visitation, you don´t know who´s been sent out to make reports.

I think you better go to Musikmesse Frankfurt 2015, show your product range and make dates w/ the right persons of Thomann and Musicstore/Cologne staff.

B.t.w.,- there´s a very quick train connection between Frankfurt airport and Cologne.

A.C.

I need something a lot more powerful and road worthy than a studio monitor so I have to have an amp - whether or not it sounds as good. It's just surprising to me that instrument speakers are not created equal. Just trying to keep my expectations down to earth.

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3

I think you better go to Musikmesse Frankfurt 2015, show your product range and make dates w/ the right persons of Thomann and Musicstore/Cologne staff.

B.t.w.,- there´s a very quick train connection between Frankfurt airport and Cologne.

A.C.

Good advice A.C., and I've been there and done that so many times I have lost count. But Frankly spoken, Frankfurt Messe is a huge expense for a one man company just starting out with basically one product in production (so far).

And I love the German train systems, although I usually rent a car so I can enjoy the autobahn and visit my 4 grandchildren in Stuttgart.

But I know the right guys will be coming to NAMM, and they are LOOKING for something new, really new. It is WHY they come; to see "what's new"! And I have that. They just need to hear it it for 5 seconds and they will know it. And as so many have already, they will fall in love with it immediately. CPS hypnotizes you...the more you play with it the deeper the attraction.

I have spent nearly 50 years attending and exhibiting at over 150 NAMM shows, Musik Messes, and AES conventions, and I have learned this; happiness (success) is not about how much money you invest in exhibiting, marketing and advertising...although those things can help. It happens by bringing something really new to the party...something that players will TALK about, like my first adopters are doing here in KC. And, no matter how much they heard about it before, the first time you hear it still blows you away when the Leslie spins, or the Rhodes pans around. Nothing else sound like CPS, and that's just a fact.

Question; How many folks here on KC bought a Spacestation because they heard one at Musik Messe or my NAMM booth last year, or heard o in a store...or they saw a big expensive advertising campaign? Answer; none.

They bought one because they were still seeking "truth" in amplifying their stereo instruments. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I never heard a KB amp I really liked". Most of my first adopters already have a small fortune invested in KB and PA amps that are now sitting in the garage. I get so many emails that tell me "CPS makes playing FUN again"!

So CPS is growing on word of mouth alone, drop jaw open mouth I might add. No matter how many good things you hear about it, it will still surprise you. Heck it still is surprising ME!

So right now, as much as I'd LOVE to book a Musik Messe booth, which is heavily attended my working serious musicians (unlike NAMM that discourages end user attendance), I need to focus ALL my time and money making more SS v.3 to catch up the backlog and meet the growing demand. To do otherwise would be to cheat my customers who have been waiting sooooo long!

So IF the Musik Shop or Thomann guys are listening to their customers, and they just get a few emails or phone calls from you guys over there, I am sure that will put CPS on their NAMM radar...and rest will just happen naturally, as it should.

So tomorrow I'll find out exactly where we are in line...and I'll be able to give you all an update. But it appears we may be slightly ahead of schedule!

OK here's the situation everyone:

Our ship arrived Jan 2 and is anchored off shore, waiting for a "berth number". My import agent's best estimate is that earliest delivery I can expect is Friday, but it is more likely it will be early next week. I need a few days to spot check (I personally double check about 25% of each shipment...some of you may have seen my signature on a QC check list inside the box)...even though so far I have not had a single reject.

That means I should get most of these off to Sweetwater by a week from this Friday at the latest. It takes about 2-3 days by truck to Indiana, so then by the following week of the 19th they will be filling your orders. Or perhaps before if they get out of LA port by this Friday.

So short story; we are slightly ahead of schedule.

So right now, as much as I'd LOVE to book a Musik Messe booth,...

Sharing a booth w/ another manufacturer is an option too.

So IF the Musik Shop or Thomann guys are listening to their customers, and they just get a few emails or phone calls from you guys over there, I am sure that will put CPS on their NAMM radar.

Can be, don´t know.

I have no clue about Thomann´s or Musicstore´s strategy and politics.

Regardless how it will work out for you, I hope it does!

Good luck !

I´m only waiting for you´ll have a dealer and service here in germany.

A.C.