Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

Philip Clark

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/15/2022 at 9:12 PM, IMMusicRulz said:

As much as I dislike Cuortney Love, I will admit that Celebrity Skin is one of the greatest albums to have ever been released in the 1990s.

Celebrity Skin is a great album, and the title song is one of those really great songs of the 1990s. Hole could have made more great albums, had the gos of Billy Corgan and Courtney Love not got in the way.

Much more enjoyable than I expected. Its formulaic, but shamelessly so, which gives it some fun oomph. Its a great performance throughout.

Greg Giraldo once said "Making fun of Courtney Love is too easy. Its like shooting heroin in a barrel." 🤨😁

• Like 1

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

On 9/20/2022 at 9:31 PM, Docbop said:

ECM-anything has always been uniformly great. Along with wherever members of King Crimson went for their superior tangents, this label taught me more about music than any other. Its where I discovered Oregon, a band of players so good, they're heroes to other players who aspire to that higher ground. ECM has been quite broad ethnically as well, so I got the players proper and then that subtle second layer of indefinables, where you lean in and learn something useful you can't label for jack. That's some beautiful piano.

• Like 1

Do what makes you happy this week.
So long as it’s not eating people.
Eating people is bad.
People have diseases.
      ~ Warren Ellis

New Magma LP, Kahrtel:
image.png.a97befa86938667b3e6ee278b10b7fa9.png

I'll admit, I'm a huge fan, though many find them kind of a head-scratcher, and I totally get it. The lyrics in a made-up language (Kobiian) and swingle singers meets Orff group vocals are sometimes hard to take. But the band is killer, Christian Vanderbilts remains a power-house drummer in his 70's. The intertwining piano/rhodes parts of keyboardists Thierry Eliez and Simon Goubert are the backbone of the arrangements here, and the album is gloriously well-recorded and pressed on premium vinyl, it sounds amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

58 minutes ago, NewImprov said:

New Magma LP, Kahrtel:
image.png.a97befa86938667b3e6ee278b10b7fa9.png

I'll admit, I'm a huge fan, though many find them kind of a head-scratcher, and I totally get it. The lyrics in a made-up language (Kobiian) and swingle singers meets Orff group vocals are sometimes hard to take. But the band is killer, Christian Vanderbilts remains a power-house drummer in his 70's. The intertwining piano/rhodes parts of keyboardists Thierry Eliez and Simon Goubert are the backbone of the arrangements here, and the album is gloriously well-recorded and pressed on premium vinyl, it sounds amazing. 

Incredible band. Christian Vander is a force of nature. Been looking forward to that one!

1 minute ago, Still VanDerGraaf said:

Incredible band. Christian Vander is a force of nature. Been looking forward to that one!

It's really great. It's not as compositionally heavy and dark as Zess, which I really loved, especially the orchestration, though I know that was controversial amongst a lot of the fans. I'm always amazed at how consistent Magma have sounded over the years, despite all the changes in the band, they have really stuck with a very classic sound, and their latest material is right in line with their classics from the '70's. 

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

I really dig Connie's playing and heard an interview with her and her depth of knowledge on Jazz is deep, and he's definitely has the attitude.     And I'm not blind so yes I enjoy that POV too. 

Appears the original video was taken down, but here's another of Connie's earlier videos

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

L. A. Dreamer - Charlie. They had several songs that got FM airplay in the late 70s but you never hear them anymore. Julian Colbeck on keys. The drummer is coincidentally named Steve Gadd.

Johnny Hold Back - Charlie.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

I've been listening to this a lot over the last few days. Animals has long been my favorite post-Dark Side Floyd album, and the new remix is, imho, the best it's ever sounded.

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper