Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking out obscure (to me) Doobie tracks

Apparently a tribute to BB King

Breakup song not written by Mike McDonald 😀

Pat Simmons' prog rock ballad, complete with symphonic accompaniment.  When they played this tune on the Whats Happening TV show, John Hartman slammed a gong with big, flaming mallets and Jeff Baxter played a blistering guitar solo concluding with wild effects manipulation

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Checking out obscure (to me) Doobie tracks

Reminds me of Robert Cray, although this predates his career by a few years

Breakup song not written by Mike McDonald 😀

Pat Simmons' prog rock ballad, complete with symphonic accompaniment.  When they played this tune on the Whats Happening TV show, John Hartman slammed a gong with big, flaming mallets and Jeff Baxter played a blistering guitar solo concluding with wild effects manipulation

It Cracks me up that the Doobie Brothers were on What's Happening!

As Rerun said when he met one of the members of the band: "Which Doobie you be?"

The 70's were weird.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

5 hours ago, kpl1228 said:

It Cracks me up that the Doobie Brothers were on What's Happening!

As Rerun said when he met one of the members of the band: "Which Doobie you be?"

The 70's were weird.

Yeah that 2 episode arc surprised me.  First episode, when the kids first meet the Doobies, the band is "rehearsing" to their own tracks, lifted straight off of the Livin On The Fault Line album. 

2nd episode, the Doobies get to play live, complete with mallets lit on fire, smoke, wild guitar soloing and effects, etc.  Tiran, Mike and Pat looked relatively sober, but other band members looked like they'd smoked some doobies before filming.  At any rate, I didn't expect them to put on such an intense performance on a sitcom - they rocked the hell out of that room

The most perfectly imperfect rock-n-roll live clip of all time. Makes you wanna get in a drunken knife fight, or at least drive faster than usual. 

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Saturday in the Park.       Been playing this masterpiece since the 80's

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Two oddball tracks composed by Pat Simmons

A Spyro Gyra impression with a Maria Muldaur cameo

Victor Feldman rips on this one.  Nice showcase for Skunk as well.  Pat might have snuck in a solo as well.

Sigh.............................

• Love 1

16-minute preset demo of an ARP Rhodes Chroma. I'm hoping that's what Cherry Audio is releasing on Tuesday. If so, this will be a good comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLOE9fof9A

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

There's something about music sang in a native tongue, and well Jonna is just fabulous anyway no matter what guise she is under.

And proof that electronic music can be performed live no matter how reliant on sequencers it is, or how complex the bassline is , helps if you have a large band behind you and a producer that might just be able to play the bass at least somewhat proficiently 😉 The phrase "I just need a bass" is quite funny here!

• Love 1
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

• 2 weeks later...