Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Marian McPartland

Dave Bryce

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was gracious, inspirational, courageous, musical, and kind. We got to know her each week by listening to her radio show "Marian McPartland Piano Jazz" on PBS for over 33 years. She'd spend the hour chatting and playing with the likes of Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner and nearly everybody else in the jazz world.

Archives:

http://www.npr.org/series/15773266/marian-mcpartland-s-piano-jazz

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Sad? No, not sad. You can't ask for a much better life than the one she had.

I went with my dad to see her circa 1998, and when she took requests from the crowd my dad shouted out "There Will Never Be Another You, in honor of you, Marian." She played it, wonderfully of course, complete with an improvised classical section in the middle. One of my dad's favorite musical memories.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Sad? No, not sad. You can't ask for a much better life than the one she had.
The only loss seems to be that she was still going until the end, but you cannot say it was a life cut short. Not only was it well-lived, but she brought us so much. Her shows with the various jazz artists are benchmarks and a reference that I regularly find myself going back to when I want to get to know each performer.

Thank you, Marian. You made the word a better place, and brought so much to so many.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/08/21/161653933/marian-mcpartland-piano-jazz-host-has-died

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

She will be missed by many, but especially guys like us here on the forum.

Highly respected and loved.

May she rest in peace.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Terrible! You're right, what a long lived and awesome life. And what a great player! Piano Jazz was really an incredible entity. Everyone on there really respected her. I remember how gracious Keith Jarrett was.

RIP. There is/was no one like her.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I saw her years ago not knowing who she was with my dad here at Eastman Theater. I was just listening to the Eddie Palmeri episode and she as always so grateful to the people being on her show. She was a wicked pianist.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I remember how gracious Keith Jarrett was..

He was well known for being an intimidating and elusive interview with an acidic tone thrown in for good measure. Although in recent years, he seems to have mellowed. He's definitely more open and communicative with just about everyone in what I've read.

With their session, I could tell Marian was a little apprehensive at first and I think Keith sensed that. He quickly set her at ease. I'm sure he didn't want to be known as the only guy who acted like a pompous jerk on her show.

Even though she came from the older swing generation, she was a very young, modern thinker. She could talk , relate and even play with pianists from all styles and age groups.

On the show, she was always able to weave a common thread in the music or the piano whether it be Oscar, Bill Evans, Jarrett, Diana Krall or even someone like Donald Fagen.

And when she played during the show, it was never like--oh isn't that cute, Marian's gonna do her obligatory thing now. It was always of high musical quality and often very relevant in style (amazingly enough in some cases) to her particular guest.

A one of a kind. A beautiful player, composer and human being who was loved by everyone, everywhere.

It is sad when anyone passes, but like Brubeck, Shearing and Hank Jones--they all led very fulfilling musical lives for a very long time. It's hard to ask for much more. :cool:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I always thought she was one of the best interviewers ever, in any field. Her ability to communicate so openly and easily was also part of why she was able to play with all those disparate talents. Well, that, and an excellent vocabulary and technique!

Marian was a kind person, a fine pianist, and her interviews were always insightful. She helped demystify the elusive aspects of improvisation for her listeners, and she always approached it with a sense of fun.

She'll be missed, and I wish that someone will take up the mantle and keep her type of radio format going.

I remember how gracious Keith Jarrett was..

He was well known for being a very intimidating interview along with an acidic tone and just overall sounding elusive. Although in recent years, he's definitely more open and communicative with just about everyone in what I've read.

With their session, I could tell Marian was a little apprehensive at first and I think Keith sensed that. He quickly set her at ease. I'm sure he didn't want to be known has the only guy who acted like a pompous jerk on her show.

Even though she came from the older swing generation, she was a very young, modern thinker. She could talk , relate and even play with pianists from all styles and age groups.

On the show, she was always able to weave a common thread in the music or the piano whether it be Oscar, Bill Evans, Jarrett, Diana Krall or even someone like Donald Fagen.

And when she played during the show, it was never like--oh isn't that cute, Marian's gonna do her obligatory thing now. It was always of high musical quality and often very relevant in style (amazingly enough in some cases) to her particular guest.

A one of a kind. A beautiful player, composer and human being who was loved by everyone, everywhere.

It is sad when anyone passes, but like Brubeck, Shearing and Hank Jones--they all led very fulfilling musical lives for a very long time. It's hard to ask for much more. :cool:

Dave she always seemed very gracious and was a talented interviewer in the field. I had the sense she knew tons of people and had a very varied background also.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

only in the past few months did I occasionally stumble across her npr show while driving - always a treat - I had no idea who she was, sounds like there is a lot of material in the archives - hope I can listen to it soon... RIP indeed...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Amazing photos being posted on her FaceBook page up until 4 days ago:

https://www.facebook.com/MarianMcPartland

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

A real loss. One of the few journalists who could practice what she was talking about - or, if you will, one of the few musicians who could also talk about the art they practice, and at the highest journalistic level. Such is the miracle of jazz.

"There will never be another" Marian indeed. Competition for the piano chair in the Jazz Heaven Big Band is becoming quite tight!

RIP Marian McPartland. Every jazz pianist in the world owe you something.

The program she did with Keith Jarrett that Dave Ferris refers to is interesting in many respects.

She was past the age of 90 when she did this program. She performed on four of the pieces on this program - two of them were solo and two were duets with Keith Jarrett.

Who among us would not have the crap intimidated out of us in this role? And yet at age 90 +, she was able to rise to the occasion - and possibly with little or no preparation. It is truly mind boggling.

Her feature on Dick Hyman in 2009 also gave a huge boost to his career. At the age of 86 Hyman is touring and is being featured with major orchestras ,and is playing possibly better than ever.

There have have been too many R.I.P 's in the past couple weeks.

I also am glad that funding for NPR did not get cut, as was proposed by one recent presidential candidate.

Her shoes will be hard to fill.

She lived a good long life and remained energetic and focused up to the end.

I had the pleasure of meeting her twice. Once at Age 14, when she signed her autograph on one of her albums, with a personalized message at a Cambridge MA concert (it was my birthday). Then again in Oakland CA at a concert, when I was in my late 40's. Would you believe she did a double take and recognized me, remembering the specifics of the conversation we had had over 30 years prior?

Well, I tell that story because it illuminates what type of person she was, even beyond her magnificent Piano Jazz program on NPR. Considering the struggles she had in being accepted as a woman in the then-all-male world of jazz, it is even more remarkable how unselfish she was once she achieved success. Rather than jealously hold onto it, she was eager to share with as many others as she could. And she always approached her impromptu joint improvisations on her program from the point of view of the other person.

If I had chosen a different path in life and had made music performance my primary vs. secondary vocation, there is nothing I would have wanted more than to be on her program and have the chance to experience that magic.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I was lucky to share a stage with her in ~1986 at UMaine. Don Stratton, bandleader of the UMaine Big Band ("20th Century Music Ensemble" - UMaine was very anti-Jazz at that time), was a personal friend of hers and had her come do a clinic and concert with us.

I was playing tenor sax at the time.

She spent the afternoon with us, and was a wonderful, charming, patient lady.

Met Al Cohn, Pat Metheny, and Bobby McFerrin the same way.

Great memory.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

[video:youtube]

24345_392047379520_5352332_n.jpg

Archived