Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also need the notes to sustain a little and not drop off instantly after the initial hammer strike.

Same here... This has always been my gripe with Korg keyboard samples; too little decay and sustain. I listened to the Rhodes demo, and while the basic tone is great, the notes fade out very quickly. It'll still work well for percussive playing, but laying out soft Rhodes chords can be a pain in the rear if the sound won't sustain like a real Rhodes... :( The new Yamaha is too big and too expensive, the new Korg doesn't nail the sounds it sets out to copy and there is no new Roland. Hmm...

my bad. October, not November release. Point is simply that none of us have played the Korg in person yet.

We have a guy from Korg here, he played it in person.

Now, asking a korg guy about how his keyboard compares to another brand is a bit....well, you get the point.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I also need the notes to sustain a little and not drop off instantly after the initial hammer strike.

Same here... This has always been my gripe with Korg keyboard samples; too little decay and sustain. I listened to the Rhodes demo, and while the basic tone is great, the notes fade out very quickly. It'll still work well for percussive playing, but laying out soft Rhodes chords can be a pain in the rear if the sound won't sustain like a real Rhodes... :(

I agree ! The 1st time I listened to these ghost-keyboard demos on youtube, the basic sound of the Rhodes reminded me on the over-percussive and bright "Dyno-type" sounds of my Korg SG Rack as well the other Rhodes sounds, all introducing fast decay. I also assumed there are some samples of the old Korg sample content in the SV-1, but processed by a overall better sound-engine and FX now.

In fact, if I listened to demos of acoustic-, electric piano libraries in software or hardware ever, I rarely listened to players demonstrating long sustained notes and/or chords in different key-regions, but excellent and busy playing of great and well known pieces of music and in most cases this was solo playing, not playing in a band context.

To be fair, the rating of acoustic and electric piano sounds is some kind of a personnel review and matter of taste always.

A good example is Brian Auger, who used to play a Korg SG ProX on top of his B3 for decades. It characterised his sound piano wise, and when I saw him play a Korg M3 for the 1st time in a concert and after I listened to him playing live for decades, I was disappointed because it changed his individual sound obviously.

I won´t be surprised, if he comes w/ a SV-1 now in beginning of october and when he´s performing in my hometown.

The new Yamaha is too big and too expensive, the new Korg doesn't nail the sounds it sets out to copy and there is no new Roland. Hmm...

I wouldn´t say "it doesn´t nail the sounds". I does IMO,- but the usability depends on the tweakability of the sounds.

My experience is, I can get all the percussive and bright Rhodes sounds from almost every top (workstation-) keyboard on the market,- but not the mellow and soft ones like these I know from Richard Tee p.ex. or Herbies early sounds on records like "Crossings: The Sleeping Giant" or the early Head Hunters (Chamaeleon p.ex.).

Personally, I like to tweak sounds of instruments to my taste and the way, these fit into my soundpalette I already have w/ all my existing keys and modules, not to play factory presets.

Maybe to anyones surprise, up to now and for live preformance, my prefered combo for pianos is my Roland Rhodes MK80 and the Korg SG-Rack which both and in a combo work well in a band context w/ patches personally tweaked.

This doesn´t work for solo piano, classical stuff or acoustic jazz, but it works w/ rock, pop and fusion.

For recording, nothing beats software/sampling today IMO and one of the most surprising modelling e-pianos in software is GSi Mr.Ray mk II,- especially for the price and only for the Rhodes.

I think, the SV-1 is a interesting instrument and maybe also for me, if it´s tweakability allows me to ajust the sounds to my taste, what I only will experience if I have one in my hands for a week and in context of my already existing gear.

A.C.

my bad. October, not November release. Point is simply that none of us have played the Korg in person yet.

In-stores/shipping is more likely to be the very end of October/early November. We'll talk to MF to revise their expected date, which slipped a week or two since we first told them. So it's not their fault...

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

We have a guy from Korg here, he played it in person.

Now, asking a korg guy about how his keyboard compares to another brand is a bit....well, you get the point.

Exactly. We're not going to make personal evaluations of our product versus another - that's not "proper" for us to do. That sort of personal judgment is for you folks to make and discuss... which we KNOW you will!

:-)

regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

P.S. For anyone in the NY area, we will bring the SV to the upcoming AES Show - so come by play it and be sure to introduce yourself/talk to us.

by Jerrythek:

We're not going to make personal evaluations of our product versus another - that's not "proper" for us to do.

I agree, that would be inappropriate. Manufacturers are "friendly competitors". They keep trying to out do the other without running the competition into the ground (verbally). We can all decide for ourselves which instrument is the best for our needs and wallet.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Same here... This has always been my gripe with Korg keyboard samples; too little decay and sustain. I listened to the Rhodes demo, and while the basic tone is great, the notes fade out very quickly. It'll still work well for percussive playing, but laying out soft Rhodes chords can be a pain in the rear if the sound won't sustain like a real Rhodes... :( The new Yamaha is too big and too expensive, the new Korg doesn't nail the sounds it sets out to copy and there is no new Roland. Hmm...

I re-listened to the Rhodes demo files at the Korg site and don't know how you can come to the conclusion there is no sustain. With the phaser and tremolo demos there are plenty of sustained chords and they seem to fade off just right.

I don't like to make judgements based on YouTube videos because a) you don't know if the recording was done off the camera mics or a direct feed and b) YouTube videos are usually seriously compressed.

To my ear, based on the demos, the SV-1 has the most detailed and tonally expressive Rhodes I've heard out of digital hardware. I think it completely embarrasses a lot of what's out there.

Busch.

For me, the web demos do exactly what they are intended to do - no more, no less.

They have convinced me I need to demo this unit live and in person, and that it holds great promise to be a great addition to the family.

They haven't convinced me it's the best thing since sliced bread, nor a mediocre also-ran in the big sandbox of digital pianos. Only a live demo will convince me of that either way.

So I'm prepared to be sorely disappointed or ecstatically surprised, or more likely somewhere in between. But I gotta try one when they hit the Bay Area.

I was noticing a quick drop off in the notes of the acoustic piano after the initial hammer strike, not the Rhodes.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

They haven't convinced me it's the best thing since sliced bread, nor a mediocre also-ran in the big sandbox of digital pianos. Only a live demo will convince me of that either way.

Probably the most sensible comment I've read on his thread!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Except for that sliced bread was a very bad invention overall. :-)

Nevertheless, I catch myself uttering that same statement, even though I disagree with sliced bread as being something good.

It's funny how quickly the G.A.S. went out of the room, but now that the shipping date is imminent, people seem interested again.

I'm guessing in the SF Bay Area, probably only Guitar Centre in San Francisco is likely to carry this... at least initially.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Leo's might, as they were the first to push OASYS and have clinics, but they don't tend to carry full lines of any keyboard manufacturers due to space issues. Nevertheless, due to their clientele and the SV-1's intended audience, they might decide to prioritise it.

The other two are not reachable by public transport so I don't go to them anymore. I barely even drive to work anymore. Leo's is on the way to work. I'll ask them tomorrow if they plan to carry the SV-1, as I have to stop in anyway to pick up or order some in-line attenuators for my octal mic pre-amp since it doesn't have pads and the drummer I'm recording is LOUD.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It's funny how quickly the G.A.S. went out of the room, but now that the shipping date is imminent, people seem interested again.

It did? The GAS went out of the room? For whom?

Hey, 80s-LZ, you should get one of these SV-1's. Apparently it makes gas go out of a room. :D

It did? The GAS went out of the room? For whom?

Hey, 80s-LZ, you should get one of these SV-1's. Apparently it makes gas go out of a room. :D

:thu:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Oh, the gas went out of the room during the weekend. I guess most people primarily blog from work. :-)

The GAS went out of the room? For whom?

I´ve seen the SV-1 73 for the 1st time in german television last nite. Live band, live show,- some other keys incl. a B3 in addition.

Sounded good and looked good in a band context,- only Wurli and Rhodes stuff, slightly overdriven, no MIDI wired.

The player had much fun and seemed to be satisfied w/ the action...

It was on a separate stand in L-configuration of the rig.

The stand looked good, attractive and somewhat like the legs of a Rhodes.

No simultaneously playing of B3 and SV-1 unfortunally.

A.C.

Wow - someone's got that one early!

Endorsed for sure. Well known german television show,- same band since years,- well known keyboard player and user of vintage instruments since decades.

Click on the "Nightwater" tab to watch his original instruments,- Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Oberheim, Moog etc..

http://www.zerlett.de/en/main.html

A.C.

I've seen that the summing mono out is only on the 1/4" outputs. The XLR outs do not sum if one output is used.

A: Can both sets of outputs be used simultaneously?

B: Could I use the XLR's in stereo for monitors and still use the mono 1/4" out to a DI to the FOH?

C: Are the stereo inputs summed to mono when using the mono 1/4" output.

Great question. Does anyone know the answer? Also, maybe I'm just a little dense but someone opined that it would not be possible to put a second board on top of the SV-1. Why not? It seems like it depends on what kind of stand you have, no?

Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

Archived