Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by timwat:

But it just costs too much for what it does, at least for mere mortals. For that matter, the V-Synth GT, for all that it does, is also priced pretty steeply, at least for my ducats.

"Costs too much for what it does" is a major hang up for me too. I had said that a few years ago about the Moog Voyager. After seeing and hearing one, I did re-think my statment, but ultimately, the second part of the sentence rings true "at least for mere mortals". There's a lot of great gear available today, but us por' folk have to look at what a piece of gear will add to the overall sound, and if I can justify the cost based on the contribution something new will make to my live show.

I also want to recoup the money I invest in new gear sometime down the road, and at my age it is getting to be more difficult to do that. It gets harder to move the equipment, and at age 62, the audience that I can play too is as old or older than me, and many of them don't go out much or not at all. When your target audience is home watching their grandchildren, it makes it more difficult to get a crowd. :(

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm just a little late to this thread, but oh well!

I'm seriously considering this keyboard. It's got pretty much everything for me.

I'm not a guy who uses much synth/strings/etc. so what's there will probably be fine for me.

I've unfortunately never played a real organ or even drawbars before. It's true, and therefore, I don't really care about the lack of drawbars! What was in the demos sounded pretty good to me!

If the piano and EP sounds are as good as we've heard in the reviews, well I really can't complain.

I'm not really into the whole LCD/menus/buttons/complicated stuff. 'nuff said.

Musician's Friend has it listed for 2199.99. That's pretty good for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a new demo from an Australian retailer.

I started watching this & before it was done I turned it off. Nothing wrong with the video, but at this point I've read enough, & seen enough. I can't really evaluate any further until I get my greasy little paws on one.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I started watching this & before it was done I turned it off. Nothing wrong with the video, but at this point I've read enough, & seen enough. I can't really evaluate any further until I get my greasy little paws on one.

FWIW, having played the SV-1 at AES, I can say that this demo more accurately captures the acoustic piano sounds than the demos on Korg's web site.

FWIW, having played the SV-1 at AES, I can say that this demo more accurately captures the acoustic piano sounds than the demos on Korg's web site.

Why would audio captured from a video camera mic more accurately capture the true sound than an audio taken directly from the outputs?

Busch.

Why would audio captured from a video camera mic more accurately capture the true sound than an audio taken directly from the outputs?

Busch.

I don't know, but I trust my ears. What I heard playing the SV-1's acoustic pianos using headphones sounded more like this YouTube demo than Korg's demos. As we all know, manufacturer's demos can be misleading.

Busch.

I don't know, but I trust my ears. What I heard playing the SV-1's acoustic pianos using headphones sounded more like this YouTube demo than Korg's demos. As we all know, manufacturer's demos can be misleading.

Makes no sense to me. When I pull solo clips, in particular, from various manufacturers' demos and play them through my speakers they sound EXTREMELY close to what the instrument sounds like when I play it through the same speakers. I have tested this numerous times.

I played the Korg audio demos through my gigging speakers and my nearfields. I will be very surprised if I can't get that same sound when I demo the SV-1 in my environment.

Busch.

The headphones and headphone amp at the Korg booth were of camcorder and YouTube quality. I had a far better experience once I plugged in my own pair. The pianos, EPs, clavs, and especially the CP70 were fantastic. The CP70 is of Prominy quality and even more playable to me. The rest.... well, the rest did nothing for me.

Makes no sense to me. When I pull solo clips, in particular, from various manufacturers' demos and play them through my speakers they sound EXTREMELY close to what the instrument sounds like when I play it through the same speakers. I have tested this numerous times.

Congratulations.

:snax:

The headphones and headphone amp at the Korg booth were of camcorder and YouTube quality. I had a far better experience once I plugged in my own pair. The pianos, EPs, clavs, and especially the CP70 were fantastic. The CP70 is of Prominy quality and even more playable to me. The rest.... well, the rest did nothing for me.

I used my own headphones, too.

+1 on the CP70. Of the sounds I auditioned, that was my favorite.

by D-Bon:

Congratulations.

:snax:

Dana, from what I know of Busch, he knows what he's talking about. I don't know that being sarcastic is appropriate when posting about Busch.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

What do people use a CP70 on? I can't imagine it ever being a priority. A Keane cover band maybe? I don't recall ever hearing "that was a great CP70 solo!"

Is it for simulating a piano sound used in rock bands that have roadies that carry a Yamaha electric grand but not the budget or space for real grand?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What do people use a CP70 on? I can't imagine it ever being a priority. A Keane cover band maybe? I don't recall ever hearing "that was a great CP70 solo!"

Is it for simulating a piano sound used in rock bands that have roadies that carry a Yamaha electric grand but not the budget or space for real grand?

There are a lot of classic songs that use a CP70, so it's a pretty useful sound when you want to accurately replicate the original recording. So to answer your 2nd question, yes.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Yeah, I've never understood the "That's a great CP70 sample." A compromise of a bad compromise? No thanks...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

After leaving home, I bought a 2nd hand CP-70B and used it for years as my piano. I am very fond of that sound (and feel) just for having played it for so long. I've yet to hear a good sample of it other then Prominy & now the Korg SV-1. Neither have the feel of vibration under the fingers unfortunatly.

A Compromise of a bad compromise? The coffee I'm drinking fits that bill and I am enjoying it very much. Aside from my wife & kids, almost everything around me is a compromise of a bad compromise. And it respectfully comes down to taste. The CP-70 is very tasty to me.

Kenny Kirkland, "Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down"

I'm sorry that I missed meeting you at the booth... you too D-Bon.

Regarding the quality of the headphones, we borrowed Audio Technica's best-recommended headphones - I cannot believe that anyone would consider them Camcorder/You Tube quality!!

They're this model:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/0edf909675b1be4d/index.html

We used a decent headphone preamp to boost level a bit considering the noisy environment. So I'm surprised to see your reaction, but what can I say? Can't "argue" an opinion, can I?

We're finishing up some more audio demos, played by various artists live from the keyboard into our MR-1000 DSD recorder, then down converted. I'll be back to post a link to the cool performances shortly.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Yeah, I've never understood the "That's a great CP70 sample." A compromise of a bad compromise? No thanks...

I or I should say the roadies and I schlepped one of those beasts around in '74-75. I didn't care much for it then but I guess it was an improvement over this, but not much-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180409323814

I or I should say the roadies and I schlepped one of those beasts around in '74-75. I didn't care much for it then but I guess it was an improvement over this, but not much-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180409323814

didn't come out until '76 or maybe '77. I believe Herbie was one of the first guys to use one on VSOP... also Patrice Rushen used one on her LP "Shout It Out"... I guess they had one at Fantasy studio...

Archived