Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

I agree that at least for my budget, the price for the feature set is very high. Which simply means, no matter how nailed its finite # of sounds is, I have to carefully weigh if the value equation makes sense to me.

But I have a question - that's also the reason I haven't joined the Nord contingent yet, while many of you have. How is this board different than the Electro or Stage purchase decision?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As pointed out above, the STREET PRICE is $1995 and 2195, NOT $3,000. So it's a LOT less than the Nord Stage or PC3X.

I prefer the action of the Korg over those Fatars by quite a bit. If the EPs and pianos hold up that's a BIG deal. There are a LOT of players who don't give a crap about Mellotrons, playing organ on a weighted keyboard and mediocre synth sounds.

The money you save on this for the lower keyboard can buy a nice clonewheel or synth for a second keyboard.

Busch.

I think this is the most innovative product Korg has introduced since the Oasys! Hmm.....let me rephrase that! :D

Seriously, no matter how much we enjoy technology and what "can" be done with today's instruments, we still have a selection of B&B sounds that we go to time and time again. I think Korg has come up with a great idea in this instrument. One button push and you have the sound you want instantly. No menu diving, push a button and PLAY! NO LEARNING CURVE! I like that! Even old people (like me) can catch on quick.

It will be interesting to see what the street price on this instrument is after its out about 6 months. By then, the market settles and the prices get down and dirty.

This looks like a great performance instrument in a very light weight package that has all the B&B sounds on board in an easy-to-use package. Not sure about RED :/ but the 88 key version doesn't suffer from the shock factor.

Good one Korg :thu:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think one problem for the new Korg is that it could be seen to fall between two stools. It's clearly trying to ride a little of the nostalgic/minimalist vibe of the Stage, just trying to do a few things well. At the same time, it's obviously a far simpler instrument - no B3 modelling or control, programmable synth section etc.

While that's also reflected in the pricing, it also puts this board in the middle of some quite aggressive stage piano competition. For around the same money, you can pick up either the Roland RD700GX or Yamaha's CP300. You can argue the relative merits of those boards all day, but their presence does point up the flaws in thinking of the new Korg in terms of a budget alternative for someone who would otherwise be thinking of buying the Stage.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

by Aidan:

For around the same money, you can pick up either the Roland RD700GX or Yamaha's CP300.

But its tough to pick up those instruments without a ROADIE! Yeah, the money may be similar, but the WEIGHT is a whole lot different. Us old people have been clamoring for a LIGHT WEIGHT KB that covers a lot of ground. We'll see, I'd wager that Korg will sell a lot of these, depending on what the actual selling price actually turns out to be.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Absolutely, Mike - I don't doubt that the weight and compact form will be a winner for many people. But as I say, the choices are there - which is all good, of course.

I prefer the action of the Korg over those Fatars by quite a bit.
I think the RH3 action is a Fatar action

That klonk you heard was a spanner entering the works. Can anyone categorically confirm/deny this?

But I have a question - that's also the reason I haven't joined the Nord contingent yet, while many of you have. How is this board different than the Electro or Stage purchase decision?
My Electro Rack gives me a portability factor that is necessary. I also have a 73. They are just plain fun to play. I've never had so much fun, even after all these years playing a digital instrument. They were a (nearly) perfect answer to my gigging needs, basically all the instruments I had always wanted emulated that well in one package. The quality of the emulations made it worth the money for me.

The lack of the ability to switch out samples on the Korg when the Nords can do it is a negative. The "hidden" sweepable mid is too. That's one of the most important features on the Electro that the Stage is missing. Having a sweep right where you can access it is huge on a gig. The one other thing that looks like an early potential negative is the placement of some of the switches on the Korg, which might be close enough to the keys to switch on or off easily inadvertently. I'm still excited to check out this new piece, but I am a little confused over the closed nature of the beast when the Electro has had the ability to switch out its samples for 8 years or so. It would seem only natural to include this kind of facility on the SV-1. That means all the included samples had better be the absolute, undeniable sh*t for me to want to live with those samples and ONLY those samples for $2k.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I think one problem for the new Korg is that it could be seen to fall between two stools. It's clearly trying to ride a little of the nostalgic/minimalist vibe of the Stage, just trying to do a few things well. At the same time, it's obviously a far simpler instrument - no B3 modelling or control, programmable synth section etc.

While that's also reflected in the pricing, it also puts this board in the middle of some quite aggressive stage piano competition. For around the same money, you can pick up either the Roland RD700GX or Yamaha's CP300. You can argue the relative merits of those boards all day, but their presence does point up the flaws in thinking of the new Korg in terms of a budget alternative for someone who would otherwise be thinking of buying the Stage.

It's obvious (to me, anyway) that the SV-1's organs, strings and synths are frosting. It is, after all, a stage piano; the draws are the electric pianos, pianos and Clavs. With that in mind, it looks and sounds like a lean, mean machine.

Regarding the competition (RD-700GX and CP300), the SV-1 is decidedly lighter and easier to use, and the electric piano and organ sounds on both of those boards are hardly best in class.

But the RD700GX and CP300 really only do ONE thing well, i.e. acoustic piano. The other sounds are weak. The SV-1 is much more portable and if the player now has excellent EPs to work with that's a big plus.

I've never been a fan of the Nord Rhodes. I've owned Electros and tried to make them work but I just don't like the tone and response of the Rhodes. I think the Nord Wurly is much better.

So if the SV-1 has Rhodes/Wurly that are expressive, not jumpy and with good tone together with useable acoustic piano that can make all the difference in the world.

Busch.

I think Korg makes their own actions. I don't think Busch, who dislikes Fatar actions, would've bought an M50-88 otherwise.

That means all the included samples had better be the absolute, undeniable sh*t for me to want to live with those samples and ONLY those samples for $2k.

+1000.....+ it's not really set up to be much of a controller, so if you wanted to use maybe a laptop for a different/better piano, it won't be easy to do (send out prgm changes on a dedicated midi channel, etc). So the pno, rhodes, and wurly have to be an absolute homerun for me to consider this keybd.

+1000.....+ it's not really set up to be much of a controller, so if you wanted to use maybe a laptop for a different/better piano, it won't be easy to do (send out prgm changes on a dedicated midi channel, etc). So the pno, rhodes, and wurly have to be an absolute homerun for me to consider this keybd.

According to the manual, the sound selectors and favorites buttons send MIDI program change # 0 - 43. So it seems that it would be fairly easy set up a Favorite button to send program change to a soft synth host so that you could trigger Ivory, for example. Then just make sure the internal sound assigned to Favorite 8 has it's volume programmed to zero. Seems like you could make it very transparent.

I agree the SV-1 is not designed to be a great controller, but it does appear to have some basic functionality.

Busch.

I think Korg makes their own actions. I don't think Busch, who dislikes Fatar actions, would've bought an M50-88 otherwise.

I think they do too..I DID get an M50-88...n I dont like the action...but for an almost AP board, it does cover all of the BB sounds very well..at 46lbs, its fairly easy to lug..but hey, Im a small dude...

I don't know that Korg had "controller" in their mind when they designed the SV-1. It is what it is.....a light weight B&B KB that covers 95% of what most live performance players use, is easy to operate, and doesn't require a roadie to move.

There will be players that will take a good look and feel of this product. I doubt that Korg would have brought this out if they didn't do a little market research first.

Mike T.

Actually, if Korg made an M50 module, I wouldve got that instead of the M50-88...they do make an M3 module...but it doesnt look like a module and is only made for the M3..or some sort of tabletop...its odd, I havent figured out the thinking behind that marketing decision.. the sounds are very good..but its shape makes it totally unfeasible..

The best sampled clav without a doubt is the Nord sample used throughout their range. The only thing missing is note off samples and the ability to use the mod wheel to bring in mute samples...with these additions it would be perfect.

Yeah, well, I think you'd hear some disagreement about that: the clavs on the Electro 2, to me and many others, sounds better than the later versions on the Stage and Electro 3. Regardless, a clav without note-off samples is less than a clav, if you know what I mean.

The difference between the Electro 2 clav and the Stage clav is NOT the samples. It is the sweepable EQ that really lets you dial in your sound.

Moe

---

Actually, if Korg made an M50 module, I wouldve got that instead of the M50-88...they do make an M3 module...but it doesnt look like a module and is only made for the M3..or some sort of tabletop...its odd, I havent figured out the thinking behind that marketing decision.. the sounds are very good..but its shape makes it totally unfeasible..

Here's one way you can use it. Velcro it to the back of a music rack. Worked for me.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/img/korg-fp4.jpg

Busch.

The best sampled clav without a doubt is the Nord sample used throughout their range. The only thing missing is note off samples and the ability to use the mod wheel to bring in mute samples...with these additions it would be perfect.

Yeah, well, I think you'd hear some disagreement about that: the clavs on the Electro 2, to me and many others, sounds better than the later versions on the Stage and Electro 3. Regardless, a clav without note-off samples is less than a clav, if you know what I mean.

The difference between the Electro 2 clav and the Stage clav is NOT the samples. It is the sweepable EQ that really lets you dial in your sound.

The sweep doesn't work on the Electro 2 clavs - both Presence controls become the clav filter controls.

Really? Because the Nord Electro Rack and Nord Rack are the same shape and plenty of people use those without issue. :D

Ive never seen anyone in my travels using either of those DBon..but then again I lead a pretty sheltered life...then again again, Ive never seen anyone using the korg module either...So let me rephrase...if the Korg module looked like a module..something I can put in a rack to keep it protected, Id have 1 in a minute..with one of the M3 modules, looks like Id need some sort of table..more stuff to carry, a secure way to place it so I could change sounds without it rocking to and fro and etc etc...too bad, as it does sound good...

Ive never seen anyone in my travels using either of those DBon..but then again I lead a pretty sheltered life...then again again, Ive never seen anyone using the korg module either...So let me rephrase...if the Korg module looked like a module..something I can put in a rack to keep it protected, Id have 1 in a minute..with one of the M3 modules, looks like Id need some sort of table..more stuff to carry, a secure way to place it so I could change sounds without it rocking to and fro and etc etc...too bad, as it does sound good...
I use a Nord Electro Rack, and I typically set it on top of whatever keyboard I'm using. That said, the M3 module looks too big to do that with most keyboards.

I use the NE2 rack as well as a V-Synth XT. Both are table top synths which are rackmountable. So since they both have very shallow depths but take up multiple rack spaces I opted to get a slant rack, the kind you would use for a compact mixer. I have 3 "normal" rack spaces at the bottom front for my line mixer and FX module or normal rackmount gear, and use the 10 spaces at the top where the mixer would normally be for my V-Synth and NE2. It works great, saves tremendous amount of space and gives me much better acces to the units' front panels. Or else I would need to carry a 12 space normal rack, which would never fit in my car and be a real pain in the arse to carry.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Road-Runner-10U-Slant-Mixer-Rack2U-Vertical-Rack-System-?sku=541226

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

It's high time that someone offered a board that competed with the Nord Stage. I had long assumed that one of the big three would do something to challenge this substantial bite into their market but been surprised that it had not happened until now.

I hate to rain on the parade but while it's weight and price point are big plusses I have a few nagging doubts. Are we supposed to be excited about it's sounds? Have any of you ever found a Korg acoustic, Wurlitzer or Rhodes emulation that was at all convincig? If so, please tell me the make and model, I'd love to hear it. I always rather liked the CX-3 organ but the SV-1 won't have it. Disagree? Where are the drawbars? And if it's just an AP/EP machine that's fine but it's not fair to compare it, as has been done here, to the Nord Stage. 512 MB of ROM is great unless it's 512 MB of crap. And do they really believe that adding a visible glowing tube will make us believe that these digital approximations will come to life and sound like the real thing? It's embarrasing. Anyone who has tried similar contraptions knows what I'm talking about.

My mixed feelings abouth the Nord are mostly related to it's price which is the last reservation I have. The SV-1's great price recalls the old adage, which I find to be as true about musical instruments as anything, you get what you pay for.

That said, I would love to be wrong about all this and it sounds great.

And if it's just an AP/EP machine that's fine but it's not fair to compare it, as has been done here, to the Nord Stage.

There's nothing unfair about comparing sounds, and that's what many of us have been doing since clips were posted. To paraphrase, listen before you speak.

Archived