Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So sorry. Didn't mean to do that! Tell the boss that my SV-1 is still on order.

Don't feel bad, you just helped us... it was me that requested the video be modified! Again, thank you for pointing it out.

Rich Formidoni

Product Marketing Manager

Casio America

Glad to see you here, brother Rich - welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'm psyched to play these bad boys at AES next month.... :cool::thu:

dB

Thanks Dave... I know you're really going to dig this one. We'll try to keep it clean for ya.

FYI, all, the Sweetwater video is back up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k5QBonuivQ

Rich Formidoni

Product Marketing Manager

Casio America

Rich....you can drop ship directly to me if you'd like! No, seriously.

Really.

I mean it.

Hey.

Rich?

Hellllllooooooooo?

Rich?

Sorry, I had to deactivate Rich for a while... he is a new type of Korg Tech product and he needed a short tune-up. I'm afraid he didn't get your last message. Too bad...

:-)

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Very nice video at Sweetwater. I thought the acoustic sounded just plain bad in the other demos.

So the rig of the week is a Red Korg SV-1, topped by a Korg CX-3, a Ventilator rotary effect and QSC K series speakers.

I'm afraid nothing is going on top of that SV1: maybe you haven't seen the scalloped 1/4 moon slope?

And besides, the rig of the week is my SV1 atop my Xk1: SV1 into my K12s, and the Xk1 into my Speakeasy RocBox!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Sorry, I had to deactivate Rich for a while... he is a new type of Korg Tech product and he needed a short tune-up. I'm afraid he didn't get your last message. Too bad...

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Jerry....you can drop ship directly to me if you'd like! No, seriously.

Really.

I mean it.

Hey.

Jerry?

Hellllllooooooooo?

Jerry?

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I'm afraid nothing is going on top of that SV1: maybe you haven't seen the scalloped 1/4 moon slope?

And besides, the rig of the week is my SV1 atop my Xk1: SV1 into my K12s, and the Xk1 into my Speakeasy RocBox!

If I cut down my Apex arms to about 6", The Stage Compact will sit perfectly on top of the SV-1. The front fully supported by the SV-1 and the back by an abbreviated V support.

So, IMHO the rig of the week (well, not this week) would be Stage Compact on top of the SV-1. The wave on top of the RB3 in an L formation. Pair of QSC K10s. And don't forget the JDI duplex.

Bump

I've seen that the summing mono out is only on the 1/4" outputs. The XLR outs do not sum if one output is used.

A: Can both sets of outputs be used simultaneously?

B: Could I use the XLR's in stereo for monitors and still use the mono 1/4" out to a DI to the FOH?

C: Are the stereo inputs summed to mono when using the mono 1/4" output.

This would be a fantastic setup. 2nd board patched into the SV-1 in stereo. Both boards in stereo for monitors using the XLR outs. Choice of Stereo or Summed Mono to the FOH using the 1/4" outs depending on FOH being Mono or Stereo.

I'm skeptical that the acoustic piano and Rhodes would be ideal in a straight ahead acoustic jazz setting. They both sound perhaps too punchy, too agressive. They sound good for fusion, funk, blues, rock, pop stuff.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I'm skeptical that the acoustic piano and Rhodes would be ideal in a straight ahead acoustic jazz setting. They both sound perhaps too punchy, too agressive. They sound good for fusion, funk, blues, rock, pop stuff.

I know he's an endorser but Eldar is a pretty darn good jazz piano player. I've seen him twice at yoshis and was thoroughly impressed. I hope he would say something if he didn't like the pianos.

I hope it's good for jazz though...that's predominately what I play.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

It's funny how one video inspires this, and another one was making people say that it would probably only sound good in a solo/acoustic setting. I think it just shows the versatility.

Jazz+, if you haven't already, check out this clip of the acoustic piano:

And the Rhodes in a straight jazz setting:

(These are the early clips by KeyandSynthFreak to save anybody else time if they've seen it already)

So, is anyone at Korg going to reveal the identity of KeyandSynthFreak so he can take a bow?

When I demo'd an M3, I thought the piano was fine for rock but not subtle enough for jazz. Both the grand piano demos on the SV-1 web site are quite aggressively bright.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

So, is anyone at Korg going to reveal the identity of KeyandSynthFreak so he can take a bow?

Andreas Gundlach - a mighty fine player from Germany.

When I demo'd an M3, I thought the piano was fine for rock but not subtle enough for jazz. Both the grand piano demos on the SV-1 web site are quite aggressively bright.

I'm thinking of the last few comments regarding rock versus jazz etc.

I'm a jazz player for sure.

You can't compare these pianos to the M3/M50, or previous Korg products. I'm not dissing my own "kids" but these are new sources/creations. I find Piano 2 (the German Grand) to be my favorites for all-around solo/trio applications. It is not overly-bright and you do have EQ to mold the sound to your taste. The Piano1 (Japanese Grand) may be too bright for some tastes in jazz, but just consider (let's say) Chick Corea's taste and touch versus Keith Jarrett's. Who's to say what is the "right" timbre or brightness? It's personal taste.

I think the most critical issue regardless of that taste issue is range of dynamics, and for jazz I need much more "room to move" in the lower dynamics and good velocity curve to control those dynamics smoothly before the sound gets too strong/aggressive/bright. And that is best judged by playing a keyboard for yourself, and making sure to try out the various velocity curves to see which one matches your touch/playing style.

So you'll need to do that for yourself when the product hits the stores. Sorry to throw gas on the GAS.

Regards,

Jerry

P.S. For the tine EP you may find (as I do) that Variation 3 works the best for straight-ahead jazz - it's a bit less aggressive - on purpose.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

The single note right hand lines played on the piano sound "plinky" to me, like they don't have much tone sustaining behind each note. They remind me of how a good piano sounds with bad hammers, the tone almost vanishes after the initial strike and there is a lack of resonance.

The Rhodes sounds jumpy like it jumps into a percusive "splanky" sounding hard strikes at the slightest touch. I think they might both be miscast in an straight ahead acoustic jazz combo, like with a Jim Hall sounding jazz guitar, an acoustic bass, and drums. They might not be fat enough, and instead be too snappy sounding, too percusive,,, too synthetic ? They do exhibit very good presensce and clarity which could make my suspicions wrong.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I think the most critical issue regardless of that taste issue is range of dynamics, and for jazz I need much more "room to move" in the lower dynamics and good velocity curve to control those dynamics smoothly before the sound gets too strong/aggressive/bright. And that is best judged by playing a keyboard for yourself, and making sure to try out the various velocity curves to see which one matches your touch/playing style.

Jerry

Korg Guy

I agree with that.

I also need the notes to sustain a little and not drop off instantly after the initial hammer strike.

Archived