Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please don't call it Whitney Houston piano.

The correct term is Chicago Power Ballad Till The End Of Time Piano.

Hilarious!!!!

Back to the CP70/80... I've always liked the action on those things, and when they're in tune, they're fun to play.

Here for the gear.

They need to ditch the CP70 sample and add a Bosendorfer or Fazoli. Face it, the CP70 stinks all around. It is just a poor man's piano. The cats talking about how the Rhodes and Wurly are like poor man's pianos too are only half right. Sure they took the place of playing non existent or non-functional acoustics but they have character to their sound. The CP70 just sounds like a bad piano.

Also I read the Sound on Sound review (yeah, I forked over the 149 pennies), I didn't know that their was Roland RD1000 sample in here and a Korg SD1 digital piano as well. Why is Korg putting this garbage in here? I thought the Jump synth was filler but samples of 20 year old digital pianos? WTF Korg?

I have a Casio calculator keyboard over here that they can sample. Seriously why waste time and space on that type of stuff? For the two low life scumbags in Motley Crue tribute bands that wants to play Home Sweet Home?

Peace,

D.

Lots of hate for the CP sound in this thread.

I find it useful myself. Not by itself or dry, but either chorused or layered with a grand or upright for extra cutting rock and boogie pianos.

And the RD-1000/MKS-20 Piano 3 sound became a classic itself in the 80s. It served the same function as the CP sound, but without the out of tune bass partials.

Moe

---

The one thing we should probably consider is that we are judging the CP-70 by today's standards, not when it came out. I can tell you that back in those days, the other options were not anywhere near what we have today.

Indeed. I loved the sound so much back in the early 80s I emulated it with my Roland MP-600 electronic piano through an MXR chorus box. Now we are indeed spoiled and I'm glad I have some custom samples of the CP70 sound.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

What do people use a CP70 on? I can't imagine it ever being a priority. A Keane cover band maybe? I don't recall ever hearing "that was a great CP70 solo!"

Kenny Kirkland, "Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down"

+100000000

The CP sound has this melancholic character, which were used by Tony Banks (Duke) and Peter Gabriel to make some great music. It deserves a place in those vintage keys synths like this Korg product, the Nord Electro/Stage, etc. And I think it has been a fairly good sounding substitute for a real piano for a long time. I'm never annoyed when it is used in that way in pop or jazz contexts.

IMHO of course.

There are two CP sounds: the acoustic sound and the direct sound. Most modern sample libraries only provide the direct sound, which isn't what most people here at gigs or on stage. This includes the expensive Prominy PCP-80 that I bought a couple of years ago.

Which sound did Korg add to the SV-1? The miked sound, direct sound, or a mixture/blend?

I do find the CP useful when covering 70's rock and some 80's rock, as that was what was in the originals and also has a bit more of a guitar sound (when direct-only) so often blends better on stage. It is a compressed sound that often works better than a ROMpler low-res compressed acoustic piano sound. But you really have to work with the EQ to tame it and get it to sit.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Considering that Soft Rock songs are making a huge comeback, those CP70 samples have to be included in every digital stage piano. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Face it, the CP70 stinks all around. It is just a poor man's piano. The cats talking about how the Rhodes and Wurly are like poor man's pianos too are only half right. Sure they took the place of playing non existent or non-functional acoustics but they have character to their sound. The CP70 just sounds like a bad piano.

Yeah. We're half right. And you're all wrong. I understand you and others don't like it. There's plenty of other folks that DO like it.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Face it, the CP70 stinks all around. It is just a poor man's piano. The cats talking about how the Rhodes and Wurly are like poor man's pianos too are only half right. Sure they took the place of playing non existent or non-functional acoustics but they have character to their sound. The CP70 just sounds like a bad piano.

Yeah. We're half right. And you're all wrong. I understand you and others don't like it. There's plenty of other folks that DO like it.

Yeah, I had a blast playing a CP70 just two weeks ago. Thanks Marky. :wave::thu:

At this point, I wouldn't carry the real deal around but I'd certainly use a facsimile of it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hi everyone,

I've just found this forum few hours ago and I have to say it's really impressive how much info you gathered about an instrument hasn't released yet. Thanks for that!

The SV-1 was introduced here in Budapest, Hungary a few weeks ago in a music industry trade show called Soundquest. I had the opportunity to try it myself there.

I had only a few minutes and the hall was noisy and loud, but I have to say I was impressed with the acoustic and electric piano sounds. The organ (as you mentioned before) wasn't so good, and I was very disappointed with the rotary speaker simulation. (Although I liked the percusson of the jazz organ preset.) I have no experience with synths so I can't judge there.

IMHO the killer feature of the SV-1 is the touch. I've never tried Korg's RH3 mechanics before but I loved it there! It's definetly not for organists but a great instrument for piano purists on stage. I can't wait to try it in more relaxed circumstances, and I'm pretty sure I'll buy one as soon as I can.

Balazs Kovacs

hobby pianist & organ player & sound technician

My instruments are: August Förster Super Model upright piano, Höhner Electra electric piano

[Yeah, I had a blast playing a CP70 just two weeks ago. Thanks Marky. :wave::thu:

CP-80 :cool:

GD, thanks for fixing that. Hopefully, those who saw the pics knew what I meant. :laugh::cool:

PD

The CP80 is more than just an extra octave of cheese. Of the notes that they share, the strings in a CP80 are longer than they are in a CP70. Although they are definitely in the same family, the 80 has a bit fuller sound and the notes are more apt to stay in tune because the extra string length gives it better stability.

And a CP80 doesn't snap strings nearly as easily.

That said, I've never heard a sampled keyboard really capture the sound of one of these beasts. The real deal sounds much better than any sampled CP I've come across. They really aren't all that bad and I admit a certain nostalgia to the signature sound of a vintage CP.

Interesting; the Prominy PCP-80 has very weak output as well. I suppose this is due to using the direct signal vs. miking it. After all, many early keyboards and synths had rather low output.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My oh my, such big love for the CP80 on this forum. I can take a hint. I'm going to have to head over to H-Central where my despise of the Yamaha Electric Grand will be appreciated.

But seriously I can't wait to check this board out. Maybe our man Kovacs can post up some more details after he plays it again.

Peace Out

Hello folks:

While we're all waiting for the first shipment to arrive (we won't be in US dealers for another week or so), we've posted 12 new audio demos of "the maestro" himself, Greg Phillinganes playing the SV-1.

http://www.korg.com/sv1

We also shot video with him, and have some other guest artist demos/clips coming soon. But while we're editing all that footage we wanted to share these spontaneous performances of Greg checking out the sounds.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

P.S. Sorry the CP playing will have to wait for the video!

:-)

Yeah, I had a blast playing a CP70 just two weeks ago. Thanks Marky. :wave::thu:

At this point, I wouldn't carry the real deal around but I'd certainly use a facsimile of it. :cool:

The S70XS has a CP with chorus that's pretty nice. It's actually the best one I've heard from all the gear I've ever owned.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I gotta say, none of these demos makes me feel like my Nord Stage is in jeopardy of being sent to the bench. I will still go and play one for myself, but the GAS isn't building.
My band Thousand Houses: www.thousandhouses.com

by Calumet:

I gotta say, none of these demos makes me feel like my Nord Stage is in jeopardy of being sent to the bench.

There are so many really good instruments on the market these days that when players buy a new instrument in a similar category of their existing instrument that isn't more than a few years old, you end up with duplication and less money in your wallet.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'm really quite impressed with the sound on the Phillinganes demos, particularly Grand 2 - lots of wood and soundboard resonance in that bottom end, and damper off noise.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

by Calumet:

I gotta say, none of these demos makes me feel like my Nord Stage is in jeopardy of being sent to the bench.

There are so many instruments in a similar category...you end up with duplication and less money in your wallet.

Mike T.

Quit stirring the pot. That is blasphemy around here. :laugh:

In my trek up to the music store a few days ago, I was hoping to run across the new SV-1. I'm curious to lay hands on it myself. Not in a GAS-y way at all. Maybe next time. :cool:

PD

by ProfD:

Quit stirring the pot. That is blasphemy around here.

Especially if brother ERIC reads this thread! I COULD be banned for life! :D

Cheers, all you gasaholics!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived