Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

Actually, I tried cp33. I can't stand it's rhodes. One would say I am spoiled by the real thing. But the thing is, p120 has a decent rhodes, certainly usable. I don't understand why yamaha felt the need to degrade the quality of a decently sounding rhodes sample.

I understand what you mean. The P120's rhodes was a special thing. I owned a Stage 73 Rhodes for about 25 years, and then a MkII for a few years. I was able to A/B the P120 with the MkII, and they were very close. It seems a lot of rhodes players really like the P120 rhodes sound, but somehow that message is not getting through to Yamaha (along with various other messages, like reducing the size & weight of the S90/S70 for example). I'm considering buying a CP33, I need a second keyboard. I don't dislike the CP33's rhodes as much as you, I could put up with it, but I wish Yamaha would use that P120 rhodes voicing, or an improved version, on more of their digital pianos.

Floyd,

I had both the P120 and The CP33. I very much regret that I sold the P120 for the CP33. The piano sound was only a bit different CP33 is just brighter but not better. I actually liked the playability (connection keyboard/sound) better on the P120. The CP33 Rhodes as you said was worse. Also the DX E-piano was much worse. So I sold the CP33 and now I am little lost. The P155 is not a real alternative, same ugly Rhodes and DX as on the CP33. The new 4 layer piano is also not a big step forward if you think that between the P120 and the P155 were 8!!! years of development time. Thinks about how the computer industry developed in 8 years.

I might wait for the new CP series if there is any. Those keyboards are 4 years old now, hopefully there is an announcement at Winter Namm. If not, hmmm? I dont know. The S90xs is not a real alternative as you can see in my thread who can say something positive about the S90xs https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2139464/Who_can_say_something_positive#Post2139464

Too bad I would like another Yammy. My dream would be a RD700gx version from Yamaha.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you can't layer the different sounds I can't use it!

Well, on the one hand you can't.

But we can!

We are working on some new sound releases and there will be some layers in there. And we can make more. Please describe your top-needed types of layers and we can reference that for future sound releases. They must be based on the samples that are inside, but they can have different programming so it can say things like piano and fast strings, piano and slow attack/release pad, etc.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Personally, I "connect" with the SV-1's AP much better than with the FP4. A lot of that is a composite of timbre, touch, velocity curve, what the weight of the keybed "does" when you expect something, etc. Put it this way, I was jamming away on AP at the local store and all of a sudden it's 30 minutes later. You owe it to yourself to at least play the thing before you decide either way.

Are there any demos of this thing getting a dark Herbie Rhodes sound? Everything I have heard sounds like an agressive Rhodes on steroids.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Are there any demos of this thing getting a dark Herbie Rhodes sound? Everything I have heard sounds like an agressive Rhodes on steroids.
Yeah, I like an older early-70's Rhodes sound. More meat, less bell
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Dark Herbie sound:

Maybe one of the new owners here could try the 3rd EP (turn off the tremolo) and answer back - that one uses less velocity layers. Reacting to that would give me an idea of how you want us to approach this - we can certainly use a different mix/amount of layers to get what you're talking about.

The "bell" is usually more pronounced in softer playing on a Rhodes, and goes away the harder you hit it. So we might make a new sound using only the hi-mid to higher layers...

name some songs/tracks as well to give me your personal reference. Not going to happen right away, but we can work towards it, no problem.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Man, I love the fact that the Korg guys are truly interested in the development of this board with musician input. If there will be a way to swap out the "other" sounds for things that may be more useful you've got another sale here.

thanks,

K.

This is another example of HERBIE HANCOCK'S Rhodes sound, it's a stock Rhodes sound with reverb added. Anybody know how this was recorded for the CTI session?

[video:youtube]

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Personally, I "connect" with the SV-1's AP much better than with the FP4. A lot of that is a composite of timbre, touch, velocity curve, what the weight of the keybed "does" when you expect something, etc. Put it this way, I was jamming away on AP at the local store and all of a sudden it's 30 minutes later. You owe it to yourself to at least play the thing before you decide either way.

+1 I own an FP-4 and will be trading for an SV-1 as soon as possible. There is definetly a better connection, action-wise, on the SV-1. I also like the sound and the layout better.

Thanks, that shoots down the FP4 for me, I think they have both the FP4 and SV-1 in store, so I will try them, but I know where Im leaning already.

Those two videos from kanker and Jazz+ are what I call the perfect tone setup, and I hope is acheivable on the SV-1. Always been a fan of the transistor suitcase sound rather than a guitar amp. Using Scarbee the last few years I have high standards, so Im hoping the SV-1 can pull it off next week.

At the risk of stating the obvious, simply trimming the highs on the basic Rhodes patch does a pretty good job of minimizing the bell. If I get a chance early next week, I'll try to put up a quick and dirty demo of that sound. (Maybe even a Herbie tune, if I can manage not to butcher one too badly after six months of playing "Jesse's Girl.")

Still, I'd be interested in the version Jerry mentioned with the re-done layers.

I tried to find some clips on youtube, this is the tone I'd like to get on SV-1:

Examples given by kanker and Jazz+ are also wanted :) THat's the whole point - to have a few rhodes sounds you are able to dial in without the hassle of lifting the harp cover and spending the entire afternoon tweaking.

I am not sure why, but most of the people (ok, musicians) I know do NOT like the overtone rich, treble bell-like toned rhodes, but yet almost every keyboard out there gives us exactly that flavour. Is the the curse of dx7 or what? I don't get it.

I am too pleased with the initiative from jerrytek, a bit more personal approach from a big company always goes a long way, at least in my book. I'm still waiting to get the sv-1 somewhere in my vicinty, so I can try it out. In meantime I can only jibber-jabber about it here on forum :)

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Jerrys involvement here is very much appreciated, if only some of the other 'big guns' gave the time to chat to the guys in the field using their gear every day Im sure a lot of releases wouldn't get the battering they get because of non communication.

Eugh, I know if I buy the SV-1 next week, Im going to have a lot of bother not using it long enough to complete my assignments over the holidays, it's bad enough being a mature student!

Still.......there ARE 24 hours in a day. ;o)

If there will be a way to swap out the "other" sounds for things that may be more useful you've got another sale here.

There certainly is a way. Right now, anyone using the editor can tweak sounds (touch curve, tuning table RX noise level, and ALL the FX) and save those edits to ANY location in the SV. So you can overwrite the Other Bank with custom settings you like. Or you could save them to the Favorites. But if you need (for example) EP's with Delay instead of Reverb, a Wah Rhodes, etc. you can make them now and save them over any location you don't need. You'll always have the back-up file to restore a single sound if desired.

Shortly, we will release the first Bank of new sounds (based on the existing waveforms in the product) to add variety to your sound selection. The first Bank may not be the most drastic set of variations; it includes a number of blends/layers that and variations on the basic themes that people have asked for.

In time we will release more and more, and try to expand the sound selection in ways that you (and we) want. But we have never promised to add in completely new sounds like a different brand/make of piano, or new/different organs, for example. I just want to be clear and not misquoted later.

Does this help to clarify how you can change/overwrite sounds you don't need?

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

Not sure if this has been asked or is possible. But using the existing waveforms could you create a split patch with say a midrange octaves of the Rhodes over 3 octaves on the left side and a string patch with the remaining octaves?

Sure, that's possible. Any split based on the existing waveforms is possible. This is not as flexible as a true split feature, of course, since we have to decide the split point and then it can't be moved. Interesting question: Where do you usually split keys when doing LH comping and RH "other stuff"?

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

It depends on the number of keys you have available. On my xk1 my split point is 2 octaves from the left. On 88 key keyboard I split it 3 octaves from the left. I usually split it at C (C belonging to right hand), but if a certain song requires another tone, for example C#, I will make the adjustment accordingly.

I do not do a lot of splits, but it would be nice if korg could make a preset split you could load instead of a sound you don't need. left hand strings - right hand rhodes (or wurly, or piano) Combinations like those would be fun to play. Any combo giving you a nice carpet in left hand with a leading sound in right is fine by me. Walking bass combos as well, but since there are no bass sounds available I'm not sure what could be split to mimic a bass. Maybe a rhodes sound, or an organ sound.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Does it do the Herbie Rhodes sound out of the box?

[video:youtube]

Jerry, I have a SV-1 73 and am loving it. What would be ideal is to have some kind of editor that would allow us to create our own split points and voice combos based on existing waveforms.

Originally Posted By: b3boy

Not sure if this has been asked or is possible. But using the existing waveforms could you create a split patch with say a midrange octaves of the Rhodes over 3 octaves on the left side and a string patch with the remaining octaves?

Archived