Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV-1 Stage Vintage Piano - Official Product Intro Video

Joe Muscara

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but count me in as another vote for loving the CP70/CP80. Yes it was a compromise, but so was the Hammond organ (that was a compromise of a pipe organ) and the Clavinet, and Rhodes and Wurli. Turns out the compromises took on a life of their own.

As mentioned, Genesis (Duke era), Peter Gabriel (his whole career, and he's still using it), and other proggers like Eddie Jobson made great use of it and made it part of their sound when they could have very easily used a real piano for RECORDING.

Granted, it's not for everyone, but don't pooh-pooh as worthless just because you don't like it. Tranny organs aren't for everyone either, but they inspire a certain love and adoration for the right listener and player.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

by jerrythek:

We used a decent headphone preamp to boost level a bit considering the noisy environment. So I'm surprised to see your reaction, but what can I say? Can't "argue" an opinion, can I?

Sure you can argue an opinion! After all, we can't let Harmony Central members take all the free shots!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I believe Herbie was one of the first guys to use one on VSOP...

Yup! That album is off the hook. :thu:

I was at that concert - it was amazing... but long. By the time the funk band came out it was getting pretty late, but they still rocked/funked the house.

Talking about other CP players, don't forget George Duke and his 70's funk band. You can also see it in use by him on his Live In Japan DVD (circa 82).

Early Jeff Lorber Fusion featured it - I remember seeing him play one at a Bottom Line show around 78-79, I think.

Jerry

by jerrythek:

We used a decent headphone preamp to boost level a bit considering the noisy environment. So I'm surprised to see your reaction, but what can I say? Can't "argue" an opinion, can I?

Sure you can argue an opinion! After all, we can't let Harmony Central members take all the free shots!

Cheers,

Mike T.

LOL - I love those threads... No, it does sound good - I won't quit until you agree with me!!!!

:-)

regards,

Jerry

If you like Genesis & Peter Gabriel, you like the CP70 sound.

It just is.

No, not really. I like Genesis and Peter Gabriel, but I don't have to like the CP70. I have one, bought it when it was pretty much the only game for a portable piano. I've thought about selling it, but I wouldn't want to meet the person who'd take one. I'm trying to neglect it to the point that I HAVE to take it to the dump. They are, in a word, the most dreadful instruments ever made. Had Yamaha taken just one extra minute to bother about thinking about designing an instrument where a single note bass string would sound in tune with itself, then *maybe* I'd give its anemic tone a pass. Unfortunately...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Jerry Lee Lewis was still touring with a CP70 in the mid-90s. I was keenly aware of this because I opened for him once and got to (had to?) play it on a "solo piano" set nonetheless, which was, let's just say, interesting. Especially since it was going through a Fender guitar amp cranked to 11, sitting about 2 feet from the piano bench and pointed directly at my head.

Basically the only thing that keeps me from agreeing completely with kanker's "most dreadful instrument ever made" assessment, is the way Kenny Kirkland was able to make it sound with Sting. (Then again, I'm such a Kirkland geek I even like what he did with the DX7 organ sound, so clearly my sense of objectivity and reason go out the window where he's concerned).

I've thought about selling it, but I wouldn't want to meet the person who'd take one.
ROTFLOL

That's some funny $#!^ right there.

If you really don't want it, why don't you give it away? I guess because you don't want to meet that guy either. Still, I'd let someone enjoy it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The one thing we should probably consider is that we are judging the CP-70 by today's standards, not when it came out. I can tell you that back in those days, the other options were not anywhere near what we have today. You can play a house piano, a Rhodes, or a Wurlitzer E-Piano. At one point, I had a Lawrence Audio Acoustic/electric piano and it wasn't bad, but it didn't stay in tune anywhere near as well as the CP-70. The "B" model was an improvement over the original. I owned both.

Yep, we're spoiled rotten these days, aren't we?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Timwat:

Yep, you're right. I forgot about that!

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hey Mike:

Those weren't very high visibility back in the day, but I played the Helpinstill in a band back in the mid 80's. Not 88 keys, 73 sounds about right, built in pickup w/ 1/4" out, built into it's own road case with wheels. Folded up into one big slab, tuning it was never a treat. Loved that thing (belonged to our guitar player), only gripe was the front edge below keys was metal and sharp - cut up my hand doing a vigorous glissando trying to impress some gals in the front row.

Tim

we borrowed Audio Technica's best-recommended headphones - I cannot believe that anyone would consider them Camcorder/You Tube quality!!

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

I regret that exaggerated slam. My apologies to Jerry and all. The headphones were simply not my taste and not what I am used to listening through. They were by no means junk. That is why I always bring my own. Keeps my experience more consistent.

Back to the SV-1. It is fantastic. The feel of the keyboard worked very well for me. While trying to respect everyone's various opinions, the Piano's, EPs, & Clav's are among the best available in a digital keyboard. Personal opinion will determine better or worse than other top competitors. It is right up there. Back to the negative. IM(not so)HO, the organs are not as good compared to what else is available today.

Jerry Lee Lewis was still touring with a CP70 in the mid-90s. I was keenly aware of this because I opened for him once and got to (had to?) play it on a "solo piano" set nonetheless, which was, let's just say, interesting. Especially since it was going through a Fender guitar amp cranked to 11, sitting about 2 feet from the piano bench and pointed directly at my head.

Basically the only thing that keeps me from agreeing completely with kanker's "most dreadful instrument ever made" assessment, is the way Kenny Kirkland was able to make it sound with Sting. (Then again, I'm such a Kirkland geek I even like what he did with the DX7 organ sound, so clearly my sense of objectivity and reason go out the window where he's concerned).

When I opened for Jerry Lee Lewis the piano was real but the monitor was the same - a Fender Twin rocked back on it's tilt back legs going full blast straight into your left ear. It was deafening - as you would expect sticking your ear straight into an 85 watt tube guitar amp up to it's max. I didn't understand it but hey -

Kanker if you don't like your CP70 you ought to sell it - not junk it. They are fetching quite a premium these days.

I still use my CP80. It's permanently set up just off the living room. But it's mostly for convenience since I don't have a true acoustic piano. I can run sheet music or chord charts in there and immediately start playing without throwing a switch.

I keep it around mostly for emotional reasons. It meant a lot to me when I first got it. Sometimes you just don't let things like that go.

I regret that exaggerated slam. My apologies to Jerry and all. The headphones were simply not my taste and not what I am used to listening through. They were by no means junk. That is why I always bring my own. Keeps my experience more consistent.

Now that's a horse of an entirely different color - thanks for clarifying!

Yeah - it's always good to use phones you're familiar with when possible - that makes perfect sense.

regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

On the e-piano 1 bank, what is "vpm" piano? Does "real experience" technology mean the graded piano action?

Real Experience is not about the graded action keyboard. It is about sampling and recreating all the small nuances, noises, and attributes of an instrument to deliver a more realistic, and 3-D experience when playing.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

If I remember correctly, although it was named FM synthesis (frequency modulation), the yamaha actually used phase modulation in dx synths.
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

If I remember correctly, although it was named FM synthesis (frequency modulation), the yamaha actually used phase modulation in dx synths.

Correct, I could have said, "commonly called FM" to be more accurate. And speaking of accuracy, that's why we use the term Variable Phase Modulation. But most people wouldn't know that level of technology/synthesis history, so I was keeping it simple. Didn't mean to "dumb it down" for ya!

:-)

regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

I'm an electrical engineer, specialized in RF (modulations, modulators, transmitters etc) and professional electronics (audio-video tech) , lol.

Tx for clarification though, you are right when you say most people don't have that level of tech knowledge.

Back on topic, if I understood correctly, it will be able to swap out sounds under condition that are it's already built in samples. Will it be possible to swap out the organs for something else (like more variations of a piano)? I would be interested in this, as I already have a separate board for organs, and I'm looking for a pure piano board (which sv-1 certainly could be).

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Archived