Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

• 1 year later...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Don't let reharm die

(bumper sticker potential)

Hi tarkus, this thread reached zombie status a long time ago - but as the Zombie OP :freak: , I'm all for any musical contributions anybody makes.

Here is a reharm i did of for all we know

[video:youtube]

woodtus - that's a majorly dark treatment, but it stays in character throughout and makes a musical statement. So it deserves commenting on... I like it. :thu:

• 2 months later...
Great stuff

Ha ha, thanks. Actually, that arrangement is several years old, and has much to do with the Keyboard Corner. I wrote it for one of the KC Compilations, which was dedicated to The Beatles' songs - but I couldn't finish it in time for the deadline. As it happened, the next Compilation was for solo piano pieces, so I stuffed it in there.

At present, it is part of an album project of duos plus a few solos, but nobody seems interested in it... jazz label themselves are disappearing, and I don't have the money or desire to produce it myself. So it stays there, waiting for better times.

• 1 year later...
What a COOL thread - somehow I have missed seeing it before....all 60 pages of it! :facepalm: I have experimented a little with reharminising in the past, but in an entirely hit and miss and unstructured way. My goal for next year is to try to develop this skill as much as possible. I am certain I shall get lots of knowledge & inspiration by listening to what you all have posted thus far - although I doubt I shall ever feel brave enough to contribute something myself. Thanks to all who have added something here - I look forward to slowly digesting it. :)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Could be time for my re-harms of the Christmas tunes to make another appearance. So couldn't think of a better time to resurrect this thread again..

Let it snow

We 3 kings

Peace and happiness to everyone this holiday season. :thu:

Beautiful Dave! As I listened to your recordings it's snowing here on Long Island. I'm feeling the holiday spirit :)

Did you compose those reharms or are they improvised?

Dave, to be able to compose and play that beautiful music you're plenty talented :) Your voicings are awesome. I asked because I'm thinking of doing a holiday song reharm for this thread and I know that I'll need to work something out and practice it a bit before recording it.

I'm pretty sure the snow will be gone tomorrow as they're forecasting a high of 58 F. Crazy weather here on LI!

Reharmonization Hmmmm. An Art, for sure.. But because of an unfortunate undervalueing of that supreme thing, melody... harmony takes precedence over the melodic.. leaving for me a merely clever intellectual game.. to connect as many disparate chords together without regard for the assaulted melody.

When a young musician I too was excited about harmony, placing the melodic beneath it.

I have since then awakened from this error in judgement.

This example below is a reharmonization that keeps the melody in its proper perspective... the harmony in no way takes away from the melody.

There are much less 11th and 13th chords in this reharm, which is why it so powerfully impresses me.

This is one of the finest - second to none- arrangers who ever graced this world.. Claus Ogerman.

I would rate this as my favorite reharmonizations..

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlpmFc_Uo6c

edit: I forgot about Miles Davis and Gil Evans eg "Summertime"

But the thing about ( unique?) Claus Ogerman's approach above, is his harmony in no way draws attention to itself.. to the harmony that supports ( and nothing more than supports) the wonderful melody. In his reharm, one feels that Cole Porter, had he had more patience or training would have arrived at Maestro Ogerman's new bass notes.. harmonies.

I am assuming the harmonies Claus uses are indeed new to this song!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Here's my reharmonization of a couple of Xmas songs.

Happy holidays!

I heard this earlier today, Al. :2thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I guess I like uplifting music, that's just me. It seems so much of the re-harm stuff is an attempt to get "heavy" (dark). I guess that's modern times though, but I like the feel good music (Erroll Garner, Monty Alexander, Wynton Kelly, early B.B. King... the guys who can put a smile on my face... the list is pretty short there )

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I guess I like uplifting music, that's just me. It seems so much of the re-harm stuff is an attempt to get "heavy" (dark). I guess that's modern times though, but I like the feel good music (Erroll Garner, Monty Alexander, Wynton Kelly, early B.B. King... the guys who can put a smile on my face... the list is pretty short there )

OT

Early BB King? Gee, I love late BB king maybe even more so.

But we agree about all the darker harmony of today.

In my opinion

that darkness is partly because of the over emphasis on harmony.

No one could be sadder than my hero Peter I Tchaikovsky, but neither could anyone be more beautiful either.

His music is melodically driven, not harmony driven.

It's the cart before the horse, in this confused world.

On the other hand a talent like his is exceedingly rare... so in the absence of the gifts of a melodic genius, what's a poor composer to do!

Back to Harmonizations

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I'd like to say a few words about this.

I understand your reasoning, but I think that the concept of "dark" is really related to what one is used to. Once your ears get accustomed to the complexity of certain chords and structures, you also start to appreciate the subtle differences and nuances, and a harmonic progression becomes a way to convey color and emotion to a melody.

Of course the problem is that there is absolutely no complex music in the media, so when one is suddendly exposed to some of it, the tendency is to reject it as muddy and fatiguing.

Nothing against simple music of course - especially when it's played by giants like the ones you mention... :) But since jazz harmony has progressed so hugely in the last 50 years, I like to explore all directions.

The Reharm Room has been resurrected! Thank you Dave.

Let it snow

There are some moments in this that I really love. It's all quite nice but there are certain chords that are really really perfect.

I LOVE the outro especially.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Reharmonization Hmmmm. An Art, for sure.. But because of an unfortunate undervalueing of that supreme thing, melody... harmony takes precedence over the melodic.. leaving for me a merely clever intellectual game.. to connect as many disparate chords together without regard for the assaulted melody.

Your points are valid and I respect your seasoned voice on this.

Just a friendly word: It's cool to get somewhat philosophical here but we also like to keep this thread light and positive and nurturing. Sometimes the reharms here ARE done for more intellectual purposes than artistic. Sometimes both. Sometimes the melody gets obscured by an onslaught of harmony. Sometimes the melody gets rewritten. We try things out and give an ear to what others have tried.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Awesome! Dave said it already: that entire approach for Santa Claus is coming to town is really fresh. It's not fussy and it works great with the melody.

Also I loved how you kept that parallel diminished thing happening over so much of Oh Christmas Tree. Great job, would love to hear more!

I've studied harmony in college and purchasing books. I have a question.

When you reharm do you think of proper harmony or do you use trial and error to find a new path?

Please be more specific, if you can, then just saying "it's a combination of knowledge and ears."

Thanks

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Okay I got inspired by this thread and took a little time this AM to come up with a contribution. Here's 'Away In A Manger'

Away In A Manger Reharm

When you reharm do you think of proper harmony or do you use trial and error to find a new path?

For me it's trial and error. I'm looking to see what other chords or progressions a small melodic chunk might suggest. I'll try them then I'll try fitting them into the larger context of the whole piece. Does it all flow together? Is it too fussy? Consistent with the texture of the whole piece?

Some parts come quickly and naturally. For others there's a lot of chiseling away and shaping.

Hey, nice to see this old thread alive again. Thanks, Dave, for reviving it and drawing my attention to it, and to all the contributors. I haven't listened to the newest files yet - I look forward to hearing them.

Too bad so many of the early files have disappeared, whatever they were - that was a long time ago. There was a lot of music in those.

My take on reharms has changed now - instead of approaching everything as total new reharms where you feel compelled to completely redo a song, it's really just playing with new approaches, ideas/chords in a personal way. That allows anything to happen, from total reharms to pieces with new ideas. Maybe I could have called it "The Imagination Room" or The Re-imagination Room".

I hope to post something soon. Meanwhile, here's a fresh approach to a Xmas tune:

[video:youtube]